Thoughtful, mature cop show...with lots of blood.

Adult Written bytvgirl April 9, 2008

SpikeTV edition

I was home sick yesterday and found this show on SpikeTV. What's different is that it is now TV-14 rated on that channel. Why? Because the station edited the show down. Words like s--t, p---y, c--k, f--k, and g--damn that the characters use so frequently out of anger are dubbed out. Also, the violence is toned down a lot along with sex and nudity. Actually, sometimes the sex and nudity are cut completely from the episode. Reviewing for the SpikeTV cut only, I give this show a TV-14 rating.
Adult Written byChris LP April 9, 2008

Awesome program with lots of HBO-level mateiral

This is probably the best cop show to ever grace the small-screen of basic cabel television. I love it. I buy the DVDs the second they come out like a child does with toys. The warning before each episode says it all. Language includes all bad words such as Goddamn, shit, f--k, bitch, son of a bitch, piss, c--k, p---y, and so much more. Violence is pretty extreme. Drugs are involved with crimes a whole lot. Sex is related to almost every story and include nudity. This is a show only ment for viewers over the age of 17.
Teen, 17 years old Written bytvlover101 July 23, 2013

Amazing show, but wait till you're a little older...

The Shield takes an honest look in to the lives of law enforcement officers who have to face some of the most violent and disgusting criminals in a highly populated city. While the majorty of the cops have a strong moral compas and intend to do what is best for their community, their tactics are often rough and they become as violent as the criminals they are catching. Furthermore, their are main characters who don't necessarily do the right things for the right reason. Four of the lead characters steal money from a money laundering scheme to retire comfortably, and try to hide their tracks all the way till the series finale - turning in on one another. There are issues of graphic rape, drug use, and murders, as well as issues with infidelity, divorce, homophobia, and parents who are not as invested in their kids lives. Sexual content is graphic enough to justify the show being on cable, and partial nudity is common. There is a lot of sensitive language as well. On a more pleasing note, the show has some of the best acting and story telling on television. Chiklis, Goggins, Martinez, and Pounder deliver some their best acting till date, and the show has cattapulted writers like Sons of Anarchy creater Kirk Sutter, and actors like Justlifed star Walt Goggins in to successful and entertaining televison. It is a much watch for adults who like hard hitting tv, but only for older teens who can handle the sensitive content.
Kid, 11 years old July 20, 2010
the shield is a very great show!, perfect writing, acting, and hard to let go of ! ( TV-MA,V,S,L).
Adult Written byzeekattacklee February 3, 2015

Great cop Show...

The show does have it’s moments with language, Violence, drugs, and a bit of mature content. On that note, I Personally would want parents to use judgement before letting younger children watch it.. Otherwise, A great show for adults and mature teenagers.. Other than that, I wouldn’t recommend this to younger children..
Parent Written byedonovan December 23, 2013

Common Sense Shield

I have watched this show from beginning to end three times. I think it might be the best TV show in history. However, I disagree with the review above which says you can't say the protagonist, Vic Mackey, is a good or bad cop. In the first episode he murders one of his team members. He commits murder at least five times in the series. In the last episode he hangs his remaining partner out to dry (meaning that guy goes to prison for the rest of his life). The brilliance of the show is in creating an atmosphere and story where we find ourselves confused time and time again by Vic's morality ... is he a good guy... is he a bad guy. This is the way that extreme narcissists survive in the world. The final episode, though, brings home a bleak message of the terrible costs, for everyone in his life, of Vic Mackey's way of being a cop. Everyone important to him is dead, in witness protection, or in prison. He is a poisonous, dangerous, but very compelling and charming character. He gets things done, but causes more harm than good.
Adult Written byThatKrazyGuy March 29, 2010

The Best FX Original Series!

The Shield is rated TV-MA for graphic violence, strong language, and strong sexual content including mild nudity.
Parent Written byspacejockeys April 9, 2008
Adult Written bymdog April 9, 2008
Teen, 15 years old Written byChrislloyd April 9, 2008

Eh ... not for kids at all

I started watching this because I am huge fan of cop shows and action shows. Remember before watching this: This IS NOT a show for kids. I am a kid and I watch it, but it doesn't make it right. If my parents knew what content was in this show, they would not be proud of my liking this program. Sex is the biggest issue. This show has to have sex in every episode. It will either be in dialogue or in activity. Nudity is included in this program as well. Sex ranges from normal to disturbing. There is a story arc in the later half of season 3 and the begining of season 4 where a character has a fetish of violent sexual acts with hookers and recreates his own rape with them and more. Violence is also very strong and goes from shooting to torture. Language includes all words. They do say "s--t" and "f--k" uncensored. But, I will admitt, the uses of "f--k" are only on DVD and dubbed out of the TV versions.
Adult Written byRev.Jack_Package January 1, 2016

All time favorite drama series

Adult Written byTbadman June 1, 2011

Excellent cop show with unflinching,graphic realism

The Shield is a very powerfull and realistic show. The writing is smart and the performances are excellent. Its depiction of police work is graphic,realistic and disturbing. The show contains graphic violent content,scenes of sexuality and rape,rear nudity and multiple uses of words like S--t, d--k a--hole and other profanities. It is a great show but is not for children or young teens
Adult Written bymr.TR March 13, 2011

Good show for adults, but not a show for people under 17.

This is post only my opinion. Please do not feel that you need to adopt my opinion. I do like the gritty realism in the writing of the show. But, I think that some of the episodes have parts that would disturb people under 17, such as: disturbing violence and gruesome sexual crimes. I also think that the messages of the show aren't positive, and that some of the violence and bloody scenes are put in the show to boost ratings. Please don't show this TV show to people under 17.