All member reviews for The Sopranos

Teen, 14 years old Written byEntropy July 30, 2011

It's an incredible show, but certainly not for everyone.

To be honest, I find that attempting to rate a film, or Television show by whether or not it is age appropriate is completely ridiculous. What some 14 year old's can handle, will turn an adult's stomach, and vice versa. Thus, I will not base this review by age, but by the quality, and the content of the actual show. "The Sopranos" is in my somewhat bias opinion, one of the best shows ever made. Ever since I was 10 years old I have always had a fascination with the criminal psyche, and the Mafia as a whole. I read books like "The Godfather", and watched films such as "Goodfellas" and "Casino" starting at a very young age. Looking back, I may not have been mature enough to handle this sort of graphic content in the right tense, but what's done is done. The Sopranos is violent, passionate, and is packed full of sexual content and drugs. The criminals in this show have a very twisted sense of "moral" and "ethical" values, abiding by the "rules" set by their hierarchy, but It's a show about loyalty, family, and the mafioso way of life. You'll either love it, or hate it, and here's why. Many viewers will be pushed away from this show by the graphic beatings, shootings, stabbings, the seemingly excess amount of sexual content and nudity, and the horrific language spouted by the main characters in almost every sentence. But, it is one of most realistic depictions of mobster social structure that you'll ever see. Thus, I rate this show 5 Stars. Use your own discretion when watching it, or potentially allowing your children to watch it, but please don't blindly follow reviewer advice given to you by members of CSM staff that you will never meet. Reviews are very relative in the fact that someone else's moral viewpoint may not conform to your own. Rent a disc of this show, or catch a re-run on cable. If you like the first few episodes, I'd recommend renting the whole series. It is truly a visual masterpiece.
Kid, 9 years old December 10, 2009

GOOGLE

GOOD
Teen, 17 years old Written byoctober1985 July 14, 2009

It has plenty of sex, nudity, violence, swearing and drug use. Of course so do most mafia movies. I started watching the show at 12. If you watch other mafia films, you should be fine with this.

zits are stupid

this cartoon smells like bacon and beans
Teen, 13 years old Written byLedZepFan98 April 24, 2012

Graphic HBO Drama

While this one of the greatest TV shows ever it is not for kids. There are no postive role models or messages whatsoever. The show is graphically violent at some points I found it disturbing. There is Sex or Nudity in nearly every episode but it is never graphic. The Profanity is very strong it probably has the most swearing in a TV show in an average episode the "F word" is used around 50 times. One of the main characters is a drug addict he is shown constantly snorting cocaine or shooting heroin. It is recommend for non-impressonable children 15 or older.
Kid, 12 years old July 23, 2010

NOT for kids in any way, shape or form

My dad used to watch this in front of me when i was in second grade. It deeply upset and disturbed. I didnt understand and wasnt prepared for such a graphic, mature show. This show is best for age 18 and older.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCommonviewer July 7, 2015

SO INNAPPROPIATE

IF YOU HAVE ANY KIDS OUT THERE THIS IS NOT FOR YOUR KID. IT INCLUDES A PERSON SHOOTING A STORE CLERK TWICE
Teen, 14 years old Written byThedude68683 October 4, 2014

iffy but fantastic

AGE18 QUALITY It's an incredible show, but certainly not for everyone. To be honest, I find that attempting to rate a film, or Television show by whether or not it is age appropriate is completely ridiculous. What some 14 year old's can handle, will turn an adult's stomach, and vice versa. Thus, I will not base this review by age, but by the quality, and the content of the actual show. "The Sopranos" is in my somewhat bias opinion, one of the best shows ever made. Ever since I was 10 years old I have always had a fascination with the criminal psyche, and the Mafia as a whole. I read books like "The Godfather", and watched films such as "Goodfellas" and "Casino" starting at a very young age. Looking back, I may not have been mature enough to handle this sort of graphic content in the right tense, but what's done is done. The Sopranos is violent, passionate, and is packed full of sexual content and drugs. The criminals in this show have a very twisted sense of "moral" and "ethical" values, abiding by the "rules" set by their hierarchy, but It's a show about loyalty, family, and the mafioso way of life. You'll either love it, or hate it, and here's why. Many viewers will be pushed away from this show by the graphic beatings, shootings, stabbings, the seemingly excess amount of sexual content and nudity, and the horrific language spouted by the main characters in almost every sentence.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMarcusNelson July 22, 2014

For mature teens and up

People need to know that The Sopranos is a very mature television show. The show is about a Mafia boss named Tony Soprano who has to deal with his family life and his mob life. He regularly sees a phsyciatrist named Jennifer Melfi to deal with the stress of his life. Tony is a troubled man, and is often depressed. His family knows that he is in the mafia and his wife Carmela knows how bad of a person he is. Throughout the show, we see Tony's dark side and his bright side, and how he balances his mafia life and his family responsibilities. This show deals with edgy subject matter. Murder, adultery, drugs, prostitution, and just the mafia life in general. These mobsters make there living by hurting people and blackmailing people to get what they want and they are ruthless in their pursuit of the almighty dollar. The mobsters in this show are horrible role models and the show glorifies mafia life. People who consider watching this show need to be mature enough to realize that everything the mobsters do is wrong, and that nobody should try to imitate them in any of their actions. I recommend this show for nobody under the age of 15. Mature and sensible teens will be old enough to watch this show as long as they realize that it's just a tv show. And if they can do that they will enjoy the show.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMasterman177 March 22, 2014

Great show, only for mature teens

Im 14 years old and i watch this show. It is a great show with some nudity, and some swearing. There is also violence. It is a great show.
Teen, 15 years old Written bythesturgmachine February 16, 2014

Fantastic show, better than nearly any other mafia movie!

It not actually to bad for 13 but 14 is a better age. It does have some good messages though on why you shouldn't do all these horrible things the characters do. It has frequent usage of the f-word. Has a lot of smoking, a bit of drugs in it. In nearly every episode there is nudity and sex scenes. There are a lot of scenes that take place in a strip club. It can be quite violent as well. It's a must see though.
Teen, 17 years old Written by012345678900000 December 23, 2012

Cool

This show is good but not for kids.
Teen, 14 years old Written bytentalicx77 May 8, 2012

Great for mature teens.

Most mature teenagers should be able to handle this show fine. As long as they understand that the characters are not role-models and are in general, horrible people.
Teen, 15 years old Written byShoopasmawoopas February 28, 2012

Brilliant series. Certainly for more mature audiences.

This is one of the best tv series ever created. I am currently on series two of the box set I borrowed from my friend, also 15 and we both can't get enough of it. Though it is definitely one more for the adults, or mature teenagers. Pretty much every episode will contain one or many instances of violence or sex, and of course bad language. The series focuses on the life of a mobster boss so crime is obviously an extremely large theme of the series. Very bad messages and ideas of role models emit from this film. Don't let your kids watch this, it's actually worse than a lot of classic Mafia films like Goodfellas, Casino and Scarface so, don't let the kids on it. But it's beautifully captivating for anyone else!
Teen, 16 years old Written byJWilliams303 July 12, 2010

Good show but not one for kids

This show contains a lot of violence(it is a show about the mafia), sex scenes, drugs and alcohol, and tons of language. I'd probably say watch the episodes on A&E since they're more edited on that channel. This show is really good though, recommend this for anyone who love mafia type shows like the godfather.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDuckyCow1 August 23, 2009

This show is about an Italian mob's life in New Jersey. As a mafia show is, there is plenty of violence and language, the strongest being silenced out. There are sexual stuff in every episode, making it unsuitable for younger viewers.

The Greatest show on T.V.

Although this show is packed with violence, sex, drugs and language, every episode is a new adventure. I Think you should be about thirteen before you are aloud to watch this. The Acting is great and the story is even better. If you liked movies like scarface then you will be addicted to this show. I know i was. My favorite episode was the first on were Tony Soprano talks to his therapist about his life in the mafia. If your 13+. this would be great for you
Teen, 15 years old Written bylostspaz18 April 9, 2008

For Mature Audiences Only!

Amazing Show! But very explicit sex/nudity scenes every episode, sometimes mutiple times in one episode. Language is hurrendous f-words every minute and even the awful c-word has been used more than once. Violence does not appear as often as the sex and language but it is very relialistic and very gory. One of the best shows on TV, but its content, especially the sex, is innapriopriate for early teens. But, for the mature and older, it is indeed as good as the hype. Iffy for 15-16+
Teen, 16 years old Written bygodfather April 9, 2008

Brilliant!

This show has lots of violence, sex, nudity, and coarse language. It's very realistic, and doesn't pull any punches. As for the quality, it's absolutely the most brilliant TV show ever. It really brings a different dimension of artistry to television. Literary buffs should enjoy it. For a mature audience only.