All member reviews for The Thick of It

British government satire has dry wit and strong vocab.

Teen, 13 years old Written byfreyhope February 3, 2016
I wouldn't really reccomend this for americans because it won't really make sense to you if you have no idea how the british government works, and it's very very dry which doesn't always come accross well accross the pond. However, it's brilliant! The swearing is a large majority of the programme, but the insults are part of the humour so it's not just mindless.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymad about tv April 3, 2015

great studt of politics

A great show with loads of political dilemmas. Just be aware that there is tonnes of swearing which is frequent and very strong. There are also strong sex reference that are fairly frequent.
Parent Written bypg5264 September 27, 2012

Great show... but way more swearing than described above

Only 4 out of 5 for language?!?! This is the most potty-mouthed show I can think of on British TV. And that means it's more potty-mouthed than anything on US TV. F-bombs galore (not muted over or mouthed as described above). My opinion is that the show is hilarious and I love it, but it would be uncomfortable viewing alongside kids younger than 18 at least.
Adult Written bySadman November 13, 2015

OK for older teens and up

The Thick of It is a biting satire of the British political system with some of the best writing (though much of the dialogue is actually improvised) I've seen on TV in a long time. A lot of attention is given to the swearing in this show, but for once the language has a valid reason for use. 99.99% of the foul language is uttered by Malcolm Tucker, probably the most remarkable political anti-hero on TV. The thing about Tucker is he voices what many would like to voice in the workplace but cannot even dare think of doing so. And he is often in the right, that is the thing. When he swears a blue streak at somebody for messing up, they usually deserve it. And I've seen real-life Malcolms at my work and to be frank, he sounds like a Teletubbie compared to what I've heard in the workplace. I rated this at 16 and up because frankly by that age most kids are using far worse language and by that age most should be able to grasp the complexities of politics and workplace relationships featured here. Other than in the language, sex is nonexistent in this show (maybe some innuendo here and there), and violence is rare (no more than fisticuffs). I also highly recommend the Oscar-nominated (for its screenplay) film In the Loop, which is an adaptation of this series featuring Peter Capaldi reprising Malcolm Tucker. If I had to offer a warning it's that there might be those who blindly let their kids watch this because it has Peter Capaldi in it and of course Capaldi is Doctor Who now, so some might think everything he does is family friendly. Doing so without doing research is as bad an idea as letting kids watch Secret Diary of a Call Girl or sense8 because Rose Tyler and Martha Jones from Doctor Who are in those shows and assuming they're just as family-friendly. Incidentally the main site review of this show is incorrect - none of the swearing is censored, at least not in the version that aired on the BBC or has now available on DVD worldwide. Maybe some American broadcast muted it? Though if they did then most of Capaldi's performance must have resembled a mime. I agree with others that it needs 5-bullets for language. It is one of the only TV series I've ever seen in which the female C-word is actually used. That's enough to make it 5 bullets right there.
Teen, 13 years old Written byWildFlower753 August 14, 2013

Don't listen to CommonSenseMedia. Listen to me.

The show certainly has language (not bleeped), but it is an entertaining romp. Sure, it's about politics- but it's hilarious. If your kid can handle extreme cursing and some sexual references, I recommend it. It's witty, clever, funny and interesting.
Parent Written byPoppyParent August 5, 2013

More R/TV-MA rated!

I started watching this and in the first few minutes of the first episode the F word was used three times. I turned it off right away.