All member reviews for The Tudors

Henry VIII courts drama in adult period piece.

Adult Written byaeronwy April 9, 2008

love love love this show

OMG! I am completely obsessed with Henry VIII, and words can not describe how excited I was when I found out about this show. Yes, there's sex and violence, but cello, there's sex and violence irl too. (Remember people, this is just a television show, and kiddies, just because a character acts a certain way doesn't meant that you have to mimic that action.) I have heard complaints about the historical inaccuracies, and yeah, they kind of bother me too, but the show was made to be entertaining not factual. I feel that the show serves its purpose; it's a highly entertaining historical fiction television show. Plus, um yeah, Jonathan Rhys Meyers is gorgeous.
Adult Written byAuroraEaden May 16, 2011

THIS IS NOT GOOD FOR KIDS!!

Teen, 14 years old Written byMakorra April 1, 2013

Great

Adult Written by2010commonsensemom January 12, 2010

NOT for anyone under 18

Great series for adults, excellent cast(Jonathan Rhys Meyers absolutely shines) great writing--of course the real-life Tudors certainly provided a lot of material!--and a fascinating, enthralling take on the Henry VIII story. As far as messages and role models go, we all know Henry was hardly a role model. But the biggest concern is the sexual content, graphic at times (it's a Showtime series, after all). This is NOT for anyone under 18 their unless parents are either: a) VERY lenient--in which case it's surprising you're reading Common Sense reviews in the first place; or b) right there with the DVD remote, ready to skip some scenes entirely--and you'd have to watch it first to know when they're about to happen; some of the most shocking stuff just shows up when you least expect it. Having said that, this is a terrific series, but only suitable for adults.
Adult Written bytriadrr April 9, 2008

big guilty pleasure

Love this show! I was disappointed that the HBO show "Rome" was finished but then came "The Tudors" on Showtime!! Great for adults an absolute NO for kids.
Teen, 16 years old Written bysarahbeth16 May 26, 2014

Great show, very graphic

The Tudors is certainly entertaining, with talented actors (Natalie Dormer shines as Anne Boleyn, and Jonathan Rhys Meyers is the driving force behind all four seasons) and beautiful sets and costumes. However, there is *lot* of sex--both partial and full nudity, from both males and females. There is also some graphic violence (particularly in torture scenes as the seasons progress); characters use strong language ("s--t," "f--k") as well as get drunk. Basically, this is a sensationalized (while still based in historical fact) account of the life of a selfish, often hedonistic king. When it comes to whether it's appropriate for kids, I watched it around 14 or 15. It certainly depends on the prospective teen's maturity, but I can definitely say it shouldn't be shown to someone who is not yet in high school--which is why I gave it a rating of 15+.
Adult Written byballetbabe March 9, 2010

Appropriate for 18+.

I am 19 years old and I find this hard to watch sometimes. It is very entertaining, costumes, scenery are great. The biggest concern to watch out for is the explicit sex scenes I find my self skipping, they are highly unnecessary for the story. Another issue is strong language. Examples are h*ll, s*it, the f-bomb on several occasions, and sexual curse words. Plus the story is inaccurate on many occasions. So parents my suggestion is if your children want to watch it for cultural or historical (school related) reasons, I would find a different program. With all the inappropriate content, it's not worth it.
Adult Written byBeLti April 9, 2008
Teen, 16 years old Written bydark rose April 9, 2008

Excellent

very good, but the historical inaccuracy and the F words bug me.
Teen, 17 years old Written bykate91 April 9, 2008

love it

im a newbie to wacthin that show. om became hooked great story lines and etc.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySmartGirl April 9, 2008

Yes, with a Parent

This Tv show does have strong sexual scenes, sounds sights, but not all out nudity and full sex scenes. Mild swearing, nothing someone my age would'nt hear at school. Violence, nothing you would'nt see in a PG-13 movie, even a little milder than that I think. I have to say that this show does does contain historical merit in all the fluff. It is an interesting way to be interested in history for older teens.
Written byAnonymous September 14, 2014

good

The tudors is very good but has alot of sex and nudity. I would say a family member should judge whether a young person should watch but has good historical content.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRelaya Neah August 4, 2012

the tudors

i loved it
Adult Written bymschenbu April 9, 2008

Excellent history depiction - most interesting - accurate.

During my education I took little interest in history. Now that I am mature I am engrossed with it. These programs make it come to life and I think would be a great assist to young people if the language and sex were not so crass. There are too many other words in our language to select than the ones included in this program. It's too bad they don't use them. It's a great piece of history.
Adult Written bydenisem6 May 9, 2016

its definitely not fit for the "pure hearted" or innocents

The major first thing that caught me off guard was that it has a lot of historical inaccuracies. Eventhough it is a show and is meant for entertainment, it STILL is based on the tudors and Henry VIII court life and his wives. In which, the show was not accurate to what actually happened, such as displaying henry fitzroy dying at what seems to be 4 years old from the sweating disease, which never happened. He died at roughly seventeen. Another huge thing that disturbed me was the incredibly graphic sex scenes. Charles Brandon is seen agressively thrusting penetrating several women with graphic sounds and visuals. which for some, is quite disturbing. As for Henry, he is seen almost going to explode anne's va**** when they're are doing it in the woods.
Teen, 17 years old Written byDelena Queen January 22, 2016

Heavy sexual content

'The Tudors' is a pretty good show despite it's historical inaccuracy. However, there's a lot of sexual content, and some of it is quite graphic, and it's pretty much all unnecessary. It certainly made me uncomfortable the first time I watched it, especially when Henry......erm, pleasures himself........in the season one finale. I'd also like to point out that it you are a big fan of Tudor and/or Elizabethan history, this show is very inaccurate. Please do not trust a large number of facts, costumes, appearances, or even names.
Kid, 12 years old September 9, 2014

Realistic and Fun!

There is a lot of sex in it, but all that the movie shows is what would have happened 500 years ago. It is fun as well as realistic, there are always plots!
Teen, 16 years old Written byOnlyForForever November 6, 2012

Quite a bit of Nudity

I'm rating this "Not For Kids" because it follows like the other ShowTime shows ( over sexualizing everything and using every chance to show breasts). However, it's a really well done show if you can past that. For the most part the history of the Tudors is followed (minus some age changes, Henry is shown to be younger and around the same age as Anne Boleyn. Henry's first son dies as a child rather than teenager.ect) but keep in mind it is a drama show changed to be interesting for viewers. The costumes are also beautiful. I'm only 3 episodes in but I actually love the show, it's very well acted and normally i can just skip over the scenes that make me uncomfortable and still not miss anything important.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bygerbowski October 22, 2012

Great, great show, but not at all for kids

Yet again I have to disagree with the reviewers on this website, and for much the same reason. It seems that no matter how good a movie or show might be, if there is any level of reality in terms of the sex or violence it portrays, then this site gives it either a bad or average review. The Tudors, even though not historically accurate in every sense, is still a spectacular series about one of England's most controversial monarchs. The acting, costumes and soundtrack are all excellent, and I would highly recommend this show, no matter what this site says. I have watched it through three times now, and might yet watch it again, its that good. That being said, it is definitely not for kids of any age. There is a fair amount of sex and violence, and since it is a showtime version, some of it is explicit. That was, unfortunately the reality of the time, and I'm not sure how you can condemn something for being true to the period.
Teen, 16 years old Written bytupac March 27, 2012