All member reviews for The Vampire Diaries

Blood, violence are the real draw in angsty vampire drama.

Adult Written bymoonshine30 February 5, 2013

Great show but....bloody, violent, definately NOT for kids, tweens, or teens

I really like this show. I have watched seasons 1 and 2 twice now, and was thinking about watching three, but I am defintely hesitating. For those of you out there with conservative or christian beliefs, I would say this show is NOT for kids or even teens, as it glamorizes death, ritualistic blood, obsessive uncontrolled love(which isn't realistic for teens to be wanting). That said, I don't wanna sound like a bible thumper. I am an adult in my 30's and really like the show, but there aren't a lot of positive messages and even fewer christ like messages in this show. The show is very entertaining and the twist and turns in the plot never leave you bored, but should someone who doesn't agree or believe in bloody things, occultic things, ect.. be watching this or letting their kids watch this?? (Even if you are an informed adult) This is one of those shows that a person can really love, but I personally struggle with it and don't feel that I should be watching it. Realistic love is NOT portrayed in this show and if your not careful, you may find yourself romantically wish a vampire guy type would carry you off. The problem is, that is fiction and not real life, and I think with tweens and teens especially this could be a problem. It's even a problem for me, and I am a 34 year old female. Again, not hating on the show and really do enjoy watching it, but I think for someone like me trying to live a christ like life, it's time to take a stand and gently but firmly say no to this show. U be the judge for your kids, but my personal belief is no one under the age of 17 or 18 should be watching this as it has VERY adult sexual and pagan themes in it. I don't want to be a hypocrite, I still might continue to watch this show, but I have a lot of misgivings about it and just wanted to caution viewers that this show can be dangerous is not handled properly.
Kid, 12 years old January 3, 2011
Kid, 12 years old December 10, 2010

Best show ever! But some iffy stuff

I absolutley adore Vampire Diaries! I noticed the show at about the 5th episode of the 1st season. My mom knew that I was vampire obssesed so she let me watch it then decided it was inappropriate. Well, a year later, I have become more mature so I had started watching it online. I thought it was amazing! It does have some iffy content. Honestly the violence would be the worst. Of course the traditional stake in the heart. Some hearts are torn out by hand. But it is DEFINITLY not as nasty as that 2nd Indiana Jones movie( which is also amazing). The words are not to bad. I have only heard of 1 usage of the b-word (although i am probably not paying attention). No other bad ones really. The sexual content is not bad at all. Some dialogue, but nothing big. I mean, come on, what 10 year old hasn't seen a movie with at least a little bit of sexual content in it. This show is not to bad, the main one is episode 10- I think. But the worse thing would be the drinking and drugs and smoking. The youngest character, Jeremy, did and is doing drugs and is constantly smoking due to deppression- i think. All characters have done underage drinking in the show in almost every episode. Just make sure that the 21 age minimum for drinking is set with your teens/tweens. About the sexual content, say that it is immoral to have sex w/o being married. Also establish the consequences. Ex. unplanned pregnancy. I would recommend the book " Boys will put you on a Pedstal ( so they can look up your skirt)" for your girls. It expresses what is going on in a guys mind and all about that type of thing. I highly recommend it. I read it when my mom gave it to me when i was about 10, it was amazing. So this show is definitly not to bad. Just make sure that your kids know what not to do. A good message would be perserverence. A lot of teens in this show definitly shoe dedication and perserverence to what they believe in. So curl up on the couch and start watching this show with your kids at least 12 years of age! BYE! Everkat. - katherine
Parent of a 14 and 16 year old Written byLaughing Gull January 29, 2013

Sucks, and not in a good way.

High school students regularly drink. The older characters encourage the others to drink, saying things like "This will make the time go faster," or "This will make you feel better," or "This will loosen you up." The high school students regularly have sex, with other students and with older guys. In one episode, a female teen says she's horny all the time, and her partner says he invited a girl to the dance just to "get some." Very disappointing messages to teenagers. Don't understand why parents are letting their kids watch this at all.
Parent Written bynate33 October 30, 2011

Not for kids!

A very entertaining show but it's completely inappropriate for kids or most teenagers. The teenagers in the show basically act like irresponsible college-aged kids. They drink frequently, some do drugs, and most are promiscuous. The violence and language is standard fare for nighttime TV dramas.
Parent Written byDecaturMamma July 10, 2010

Great Mental Floss for Mom After the Kids Are in Bed

This is fun "guilty pleasure" watching for parents, but completely and irredeemably inappropriate for younger kids or tweens. As the CS review points out, there is plenty of drinking, drugging, and sexual themes for no good reason and the violence is VERY graphic-- every other show I'm surprised with what a network can get away with, violence-wise.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHWADOB May 7, 2011

This is not tame Twilight, folks.

I started watching this show when it came out, at the end of my Twilight loving phase. I don't remember much, but what I DO remember was because it was so disgusting the images have been burned in my mind (I was 11). The first episode was filled teens drinking (maybe high too, it went right over my if they were) and making out heavily, frolicking through a pitch black forest at night intoxicated, and a little violence if I do remember correctly. My mother agreed to just 1 more episode to decide her final opinion on whether I should watch it or not. Episode was much much cleaner. But of course, the last 30 seconds were basically disturbing adult video material. And that is why I've never watched the show again, even 2 years after.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byjbrinskele April 16, 2011
The sex and drinking are a little over the top... I had no idea that kids had constantly available alcohol. The adults even give the kids's alcohol and the bar's even give them alcohol. Also it seems like every teen in the show has sex pretty regularly so... I guess all in all it's realistic to know that older teens are drinking and having sex and this is age appropriate for them. But I wouldn't want kids under sixteen watching it... Its of course up to the parent though!
Parent Written byNancyS 3 October 26, 2015

This is not a show for teens

I am a little shocked that other parents think this show is good for teens and tweens. The show is pretty bloody, has a lot of sex, forced sexual situations, sacrifices, and even underage drinking. The only reason why I find it entertaining is because the people on the show don't seem like they are in high school at all. I work in the adult market and I can tell you that many of the adult places won't even let us talk about 1/4 of the content that is on this show and that isn't even the sex part of it. I'm all for freedom of speech, but parents really take a good look at what your kids are watching because this isn't a 13+ show nor a 15+ show. If I had a daughter I probably wouldn't let her watch it until she was at least 17 and that is even pushing it. I enjoy watching the show, but that is because I am an adult. NOT for kids!
Parent Written byelenagilbert12123 September 13, 2014

people make it seem a lot worse than it really is

First of all, Common Sense Media makes it seem so bad but it really isn't.There is violence, swearing and drugs but no sex. Common Sense describes sex as kissing. I would recommend The Vampire Diaries for 12 years old and up.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bysupernaturalvampire August 4, 2011

Family is a must in this show

This show is not gory at all, not when compared to things like Buffy and Supernatural. Okay, you have the heart removal and decapacitation, but there are issues other than violence. My 11 year old watches this show and is a faithful fan. One thing to note is Stefan's loyalty to his brother, and eventually Damon's. When Damon got a werewolf bite that would eventually kill him, Stefan sacrifices his good nature just for a cure. Also notable is Elena's devotion to her family, willing to sacrifice herself just so Klaus(the main villain) will not kill them. The music is great, as well. The "sex" is just making out, and apparently now making out shirtless, but with pants on is sex. So I guess you could say that there's a fair amount of sex in this show. It depends on how much your child can handle.
Adult Written bytayjoegris March 15, 2011
this show is a little violent but it is a vampire show so obviously it will be violent but its not unnecessarily so there is some drinking but its usually in moderation which is a good message since most high schoolers do drink and while they do not talk about safe sex on the show they have never mentioned unsafe sex (stuff like "i don't use condom cause it doesn't feel as good" or "the pill makes you get fat") the characters that use drugs are looked down on by the other characters
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byMaverickR January 4, 2010

Guidance and skipping over scenes

Myself and my 7 and 9 year old daughters love this show. (My husband likes it too, though you wouldn't hear him say it.) However, I do watch it before them so I know which parts to fast forward through. Usually the heavy kissing and sexual scenes. There's a lot of drinking and drugs in this show too. I use those scenes to have a conversation with them about using drugs and alcohol. The main character Elena seems to have her head on straight. In my opinion she's a good role model, refusing to sit back and watch her brother use drugs and alcohol to cope with the loss of their parents. I think with proper guidance and maybe some fast forwarding of certain scenes your family can enjoy this show.
Teen, 13 years old Written bynicole_camps September 13, 2015

Definitely not as bad as it sounds.

The Vampire Diaries is an amazing show. Reviews say it has a lot of sex in it, but it rarely appears at all. Yes theres kissing and cuddling, but sex, no. There are good guys and bad guys, like any other show. Yes, there are good role models, yes there is violence, but supernatural violence, not like bombs and guns. Drugs only at the beginning and swearing not at all. No consumerism at all either. Great measseges, there are quite a few. Quotes and inspirational things are said a lot " Never Give Up " things like that. I am not just saying this because I watch it, but because it is true. If you are a worried parent. Watch a few episodes with your child. GREAT SHOWWWW!
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written bypwi11iam2 December 3, 2011

Too much sex and alcohol

The drinking and casual sex are over the top. These topics are presented as a normal acceptable part of teenage life
Parent Written byshowstopper105 September 18, 2011

Fantastic show!

Fantastic show!
Parent of a 14 year old Written bydoyen March 31, 2010

Great for Pre-teens and up.

I think the Vampire Diaries is appropriate for kids +13 and up. Although some of the languages that are used may not appropriate, but Stefan is a great role model to kids.
Parent Written byMissy259274 November 23, 2013

To watch or not to watch: The Vampire Diaries

I was 40 when the show started and I love it. That being said I won't watch it when my 3 year old grandson is here. There is a fair amount of violence and sex. There is also a ton of underage drinking as it take the blood lust edge off.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMikaylaaMadisonn December 13, 2010
One of my favorite shows. Great storylines, great chemistry. I recommend it to everyone with a lick of maturity. (:
Teen, 14 years old Written bytruefact7 June 29, 2015

Not As Bad As Everyone Says It Is

I'm going to be 15 in about two weeks and I started watching few months ago and am now almost done with the whole series. I really don't think it's bad for anyone as long as they aren't completely immature. Sure Jeremy does do drugs at the beginning of the show, but his sister, Elena, is a very strong character and tries her hardest to help him. There may also be sex scenes and underage drinking, but as long as a child has the idea that these things are not okay and that this isn't actually something that happens in real high school life every moment it shouldn't be that bad for them. The only reason I believe they shouldn't be able to watch this is because they get queasy at the sight of blood. My younger sister,11, also watched this with me and I would just fast forward the parts that I really don't think that she needed to see. So I think that anyone age 12 or older should be able to watch this because (not to be rude or anything) they already know everything that is in this show from school, so if you want to to keep them shadowed from the things in shows and movies like this you should pull them out of school because they will hear and see everything in school anyway- even as young as 6th grade. Personally I think parents don't realize how fast kids really grow up.