All member reviews for The Vampire Diaries

Blood, violence are the real draw in angsty vampire drama.

Parent Written bymamasknowbest October 9, 2011

Not as bad as people make it sound

The thing I don't really like about Common Sense is that they do not update their materials. This show has been out 3 years now and their reviews are based on the first 3 episodes of season 1. This show has gotten remarkably more appropriate. In the first season Jeremy was a drug addict due to the fact his parents died. However by Season 2 he stopped completely. Their was a little sexual content in season 1 but they've toned it down to just kissing, and shirt less men. The only thing their is would be violence. There is and always will be blood and death on this show. But you have to know that kids who are mature enough to know that vampires aren't real can handle this show. I'm always concerned as to what my kids are reading or watching, so I always screen these things. And I believe this show is fine for 13 year olds and up.
Kid, 12 years old December 10, 2010

Best show ever! But some iffy stuff

I absolutley adore Vampire Diaries! I noticed the show at about the 5th episode of the 1st season. My mom knew that I was vampire obssesed so she let me watch it then decided it was inappropriate. Well, a year later, I have become more mature so I had started watching it online. I thought it was amazing! It does have some iffy content. Honestly the violence would be the worst. Of course the traditional stake in the heart. Some hearts are torn out by hand. But it is DEFINITLY not as nasty as that 2nd Indiana Jones movie( which is also amazing). The words are not to bad. I have only heard of 1 usage of the b-word (although i am probably not paying attention). No other bad ones really. The sexual content is not bad at all. Some dialogue, but nothing big. I mean, come on, what 10 year old hasn't seen a movie with at least a little bit of sexual content in it. This show is not to bad, the main one is episode 10- I think. But the worse thing would be the drinking and drugs and smoking. The youngest character, Jeremy, did and is doing drugs and is constantly smoking due to deppression- i think. All characters have done underage drinking in the show in almost every episode. Just make sure that the 21 age minimum for drinking is set with your teens/tweens. About the sexual content, say that it is immoral to have sex w/o being married. Also establish the consequences. Ex. unplanned pregnancy. I would recommend the book " Boys will put you on a Pedstal ( so they can look up your skirt)" for your girls. It expresses what is going on in a guys mind and all about that type of thing. I highly recommend it. I read it when my mom gave it to me when i was about 10, it was amazing. So this show is definitly not to bad. Just make sure that your kids know what not to do. A good message would be perserverence. A lot of teens in this show definitly shoe dedication and perserverence to what they believe in. So curl up on the couch and start watching this show with your kids at least 12 years of age! BYE! Everkat. - katherine
Kid, 12 years old January 3, 2011

Adult Written bytayjoegris March 15, 2011

this show is a little violent but it is a vampire show so obviously it will be violent but its not unnecessarily so there is some drinking but its usually in moderation which is a good message since most high schoolers do drink and while they do not talk about safe sex on the show they have never mentioned unsafe sex (stuff like "i don't use condom cause it doesn't feel as good" or "the pill makes you get fat") the characters that use drugs are looked down on by the other characters
Teen, 14 years old Written byhpxoxo6 September 19, 2010

I love this show! Its addicting but i wouldnt reccommend it for people under 13.
Kid, 11 years old December 19, 2009

Good!

I love it! It's good for tweens and teens. The only thing bad is the language and the violence. Besides that, great dramatic show!
Teen, 15 years old Written byMikaylaaMadisonn December 13, 2010

One of my favorite shows. Great storylines, great chemistry. I recommend it to everyone with a lick of maturity. (:
Teen, 14 years old Written byHWADOB May 7, 2011

This is not tame Twilight, folks.

I started watching this show when it came out, at the end of my Twilight loving phase. I don't remember much, but what I DO remember was because it was so disgusting the images have been burned in my mind (I was 11). The first episode was filled teens drinking (maybe high too, it went right over my if they were) and making out heavily, frolicking through a pitch black forest at night intoxicated, and a little violence if I do remember correctly. My mother agreed to just 1 more episode to decide her final opinion on whether I should watch it or not. Episode was much much cleaner. But of course, the last 30 seconds were basically disturbing adult video material. And that is why I've never watched the show again, even 2 years after.
Kid, 11 years old January 31, 2010

This show is great

I LOVE THIS SHOW!! It's one of my favorite shows now and I'm starting to read the book. It's violent, of course, and Vicki and Jeremy smoke weed. A little bit of language, also. Heh, if you haven't had "the talk" with your parents then this would also be an issue. But I think its great for mature preteens and teens. TEAM DAMON!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byzmaggiez January 1, 2010

good for teens and up!

this is a very good show, but it can be violent, and there are some parts where they show people after sex. but its very teenage appropriate!
Kid, 12 years old December 7, 2010

BEST. SHOW. EVER. well, no, but it's deff up there!!! sure, theres kissing, some mild sex scenes, and theres one scene that goes like this: "i have to shower" (elena) "great! lets go!" (stefan) *giggles* "just me!" (elena) so, it's pretty mild, and most kids as young as 10 know about sex.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bygoodgirladvice December 11, 2009

great for tweens and teens

hey its ok its better then the book my kid and i watch it all the time but some parts are a bit scary for some pepole
Teen, 13 years old Written byThatsalicetoyou December 21, 2009

Great story line!! But not good for younger kids

I just love this show and the book.. hands down one of the best full on vampire stories ever!!
Parent of a 10 year old Written bysupernaturalvampire August 4, 2011

Family is a must in this show

This show is not gory at all, not when compared to things like Buffy and Supernatural. Okay, you have the heart removal and decapacitation, but there are issues other than violence. My 11 year old watches this show and is a faithful fan. One thing to note is Stefan's loyalty to his brother, and eventually Damon's. When Damon got a werewolf bite that would eventually kill him, Stefan sacrifices his good nature just for a cure. Also notable is Elena's devotion to her family, willing to sacrifice herself just so Klaus(the main villain) will not kill them. The music is great, as well. The "sex" is just making out, and apparently now making out shirtless, but with pants on is sex. So I guess you could say that there's a fair amount of sex in this show. It depends on how much your child can handle.
Teen, 16 years old Written byAsh Carter May 5, 2010

The Vampire Diaries! I so recommend

I totally love this show! Damon is soooo hot! But for the content I recommend 14+
Teen, 14 years old Written byBloody Gorgeous September 25, 2009

i Love This Show

I spent forever waiting for this show, ever since I knew it was to be. I had very high expectations.... The characters are great. Caroline is annoying and desperate, Bonnie is cool and psychic, Damon is deliciously evil, Stefan is... (for you twilight fans) a much lovelier version Edrward. Wait!! This series was out long before Twilight was even created! I bet lots of you didn't know that. So Edward Cullen is actually a sucky version of Stefan... Anyway, Elena is the former super-popular girl of the school, now more reserved since her parents died. The story is great, I regret not reading the books beforehand and now I simply must. It's very entertaining and cool and even scary. But everything has a downside. I don't like the whole ominous fog thing whenever Damon is around. It looks rather cheesy. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention how appropriate it is. There is some sexuality --kissing, shirtless girls-- and drugs (a continuously drunk and 'stoned' Jeremy) and violence --Damon biting into people and even killing them--
Kid, 11 years old July 27, 2011

Entertainment Purposes only.

I think since drinking,language,smoking,and violence is a problem for younger viewers it should only be teens 15 and over. I'm sure the creators didn't make it for an age less and the show is very much for adults also. The vampires in it are in their 20's which is very clear. I watch it with my mom every Thursday or Friday I can never remember. But anyway it is only for entertainment for those of your worried it has a bad message for teens. The biggest (problem) I suppose is language I would say so talk to your teens about that.Like I watch it with my mom it should be a family show for children under 15 and should be discussed over with a parent. A minor upset is the cheesy music in each episode CW always does and at the worst times as well! However overall I enjoy the show very much!
Teen, 17 years old Written bySasukeUchiha January 29, 2010

This show is amazing! I never really watch real people shows...and this one has captivated me. The story is great! It is pretty violent, but it's a show about Vampires! I think that it is way better than Tw*l*ght.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPalyy96 August 18, 2010

The BEST !

I really love this series. Its very interesting and tempting. It does have many sexual scenes but you can just fast forward them :P there is a lot of blood and violence in the show but thats alright, you dont really have to look at the blood. People 14 ad above should be allowed to watch this series since it also includes come adult situations and some dirty scenes are very intense for younger kids.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymkerr1998 May 3, 2011

Addicting.

A very addicting show, but sometimes disturbingly violent, and noticeable product placement such as Ford Cars, tablets, clothes, phones, etc.