All member reviews for The Vampire Diaries

Blood, violence are the real draw in angsty vampire drama.

Parent Written bymamasknowbest October 9, 2011

Not as bad as people make it sound

The thing I don't really like about Common Sense is that they do not update their materials. This show has been out 3 years now and their reviews are based on the first 3 episodes of season 1. This show has gotten remarkably more appropriate. In the first season Jeremy was a drug addict due to the fact his parents died. However by Season 2 he stopped completely. Their was a little sexual content in season 1 but they've toned it down to just kissing, and shirt less men. The only thing their is would be violence. There is and always will be blood and death on this show. But you have to know that kids who are mature enough to know that vampires aren't real can handle this show. I'm always concerned as to what my kids are reading or watching, so I always screen these things. And I believe this show is fine for 13 year olds and up.
Kid, 12 years old January 3, 2011

Kid, 12 years old December 10, 2010

Best show ever! But some iffy stuff

I absolutley adore Vampire Diaries! I noticed the show at about the 5th episode of the 1st season. My mom knew that I was vampire obssesed so she let me watch it then decided it was inappropriate. Well, a year later, I have become more mature so I had started watching it online. I thought it was amazing! It does have some iffy content. Honestly the violence would be the worst. Of course the traditional stake in the heart. Some hearts are torn out by hand. But it is DEFINITLY not as nasty as that 2nd Indiana Jones movie( which is also amazing). The words are not to bad. I have only heard of 1 usage of the b-word (although i am probably not paying attention). No other bad ones really. The sexual content is not bad at all. Some dialogue, but nothing big. I mean, come on, what 10 year old hasn't seen a movie with at least a little bit of sexual content in it. This show is not to bad, the main one is episode 10- I think. But the worse thing would be the drinking and drugs and smoking. The youngest character, Jeremy, did and is doing drugs and is constantly smoking due to deppression- i think. All characters have done underage drinking in the show in almost every episode. Just make sure that the 21 age minimum for drinking is set with your teens/tweens. About the sexual content, say that it is immoral to have sex w/o being married. Also establish the consequences. Ex. unplanned pregnancy. I would recommend the book " Boys will put you on a Pedstal ( so they can look up your skirt)" for your girls. It expresses what is going on in a guys mind and all about that type of thing. I highly recommend it. I read it when my mom gave it to me when i was about 10, it was amazing. So this show is definitly not to bad. Just make sure that your kids know what not to do. A good message would be perserverence. A lot of teens in this show definitly shoe dedication and perserverence to what they believe in. So curl up on the couch and start watching this show with your kids at least 12 years of age! BYE! Everkat. - katherine
Adult Written bymoonshine30 February 5, 2013

Great show but....bloody, violent, definately NOT for kids, tweens, or teens

I really like this show. I have watched seasons 1 and 2 twice now, and was thinking about watching three, but I am defintely hesitating. For those of you out there with conservative or christian beliefs, I would say this show is NOT for kids or even teens, as it glamorizes death, ritualistic blood, obsessive uncontrolled love(which isn't realistic for teens to be wanting). That said, I don't wanna sound like a bible thumper. I am an adult in my 30's and really like the show, but there aren't a lot of positive messages and even fewer christ like messages in this show. The show is very entertaining and the twist and turns in the plot never leave you bored, but should someone who doesn't agree or believe in bloody things, occultic things, ect.. be watching this or letting their kids watch this?? (Even if you are an informed adult) This is one of those shows that a person can really love, but I personally struggle with it and don't feel that I should be watching it. Realistic love is NOT portrayed in this show and if your not careful, you may find yourself romantically wish a vampire guy type would carry you off. The problem is, that is fiction and not real life, and I think with tweens and teens especially this could be a problem. It's even a problem for me, and I am a 34 year old female. Again, not hating on the show and really do enjoy watching it, but I think for someone like me trying to live a christ like life, it's time to take a stand and gently but firmly say no to this show. U be the judge for your kids, but my personal belief is no one under the age of 17 or 18 should be watching this as it has VERY adult sexual and pagan themes in it. I don't want to be a hypocrite, I still might continue to watch this show, but I have a lot of misgivings about it and just wanted to caution viewers that this show can be dangerous is not handled properly.
Parent Written bynate33 October 30, 2011

Not for kids!

A very entertaining show but it's completely inappropriate for kids or most teenagers. The teenagers in the show basically act like irresponsible college-aged kids. They drink frequently, some do drugs, and most are promiscuous. The violence and language is standard fare for nighttime TV dramas.
Parent Written byViloet June 17, 2013

Parent of a 14 and 16 year old Written byLaughing Gull January 29, 2013

Sucks, and not in a good way.

High school students regularly drink. The older characters encourage the others to drink, saying things like "This will make the time go faster," or "This will make you feel better," or "This will loosen you up." The high school students regularly have sex, with other students and with older guys. In one episode, a female teen says she's horny all the time, and her partner says he invited a girl to the dance just to "get some." Very disappointing messages to teenagers. Don't understand why parents are letting their kids watch this at all.
Adult Written bytayjoegris March 15, 2011

this show is a little violent but it is a vampire show so obviously it will be violent but its not unnecessarily so there is some drinking but its usually in moderation which is a good message since most high schoolers do drink and while they do not talk about safe sex on the show they have never mentioned unsafe sex (stuff like "i don't use condom cause it doesn't feel as good" or "the pill makes you get fat") the characters that use drugs are looked down on by the other characters
Parent of a 10 year old Written bysupernaturalvampire August 4, 2011

Family is a must in this show

This show is not gory at all, not when compared to things like Buffy and Supernatural. Okay, you have the heart removal and decapacitation, but there are issues other than violence. My 11 year old watches this show and is a faithful fan. One thing to note is Stefan's loyalty to his brother, and eventually Damon's. When Damon got a werewolf bite that would eventually kill him, Stefan sacrifices his good nature just for a cure. Also notable is Elena's devotion to her family, willing to sacrifice herself just so Klaus(the main villain) will not kill them. The music is great, as well. The "sex" is just making out, and apparently now making out shirtless, but with pants on is sex. So I guess you could say that there's a fair amount of sex in this show. It depends on how much your child can handle.
Parent Written byDecaturMamma July 10, 2010

Great Mental Floss for Mom After the Kids Are in Bed

This is fun "guilty pleasure" watching for parents, but completely and irredeemably inappropriate for younger kids or tweens. As the CS review points out, there is plenty of drinking, drugging, and sexual themes for no good reason and the violence is VERY graphic-- every other show I'm surprised with what a network can get away with, violence-wise.
Parent Written byshowstopper105 September 18, 2011

Fantastic show!

Fantastic show!
Teen, 14 years old Written byHWADOB May 7, 2011

This is not tame Twilight, folks.

I started watching this show when it came out, at the end of my Twilight loving phase. I don't remember much, but what I DO remember was because it was so disgusting the images have been burned in my mind (I was 11). The first episode was filled teens drinking (maybe high too, it went right over my if they were) and making out heavily, frolicking through a pitch black forest at night intoxicated, and a little violence if I do remember correctly. My mother agreed to just 1 more episode to decide her final opinion on whether I should watch it or not. Episode was much much cleaner. But of course, the last 30 seconds were basically disturbing adult video material. And that is why I've never watched the show again, even 2 years after.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMikaylaaMadisonn December 13, 2010

One of my favorite shows. Great storylines, great chemistry. I recommend it to everyone with a lick of maturity. (:
Teen, 14 years old Written byhpxoxo6 September 19, 2010

I love this show! Its addicting but i wouldnt reccommend it for people under 13.
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written bypwi11iam2 December 3, 2011

Too much sex and alcohol

The drinking and casual sex are over the top. These topics are presented as a normal acceptable part of teenage life
Kid, 11 years old July 27, 2011

Entertainment Purposes only.

I think since drinking,language,smoking,and violence is a problem for younger viewers it should only be teens 15 and over. I'm sure the creators didn't make it for an age less and the show is very much for adults also. The vampires in it are in their 20's which is very clear. I watch it with my mom every Thursday or Friday I can never remember. But anyway it is only for entertainment for those of your worried it has a bad message for teens. The biggest (problem) I suppose is language I would say so talk to your teens about that.Like I watch it with my mom it should be a family show for children under 15 and should be discussed over with a parent. A minor upset is the cheesy music in each episode CW always does and at the worst times as well! However overall I enjoy the show very much!
Parent of a 14 year old Written bydoyen March 31, 2010

Great for Pre-teens and up.

I think the Vampire Diaries is appropriate for kids +13 and up. Although some of the languages that are used may not appropriate, but Stefan is a great role model to kids.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byMaverickR January 4, 2010

Guidance and skipping over scenes

Myself and my 7 and 9 year old daughters love this show. (My husband likes it too, though you wouldn't hear him say it.) However, I do watch it before them so I know which parts to fast forward through. Usually the heavy kissing and sexual scenes. There's a lot of drinking and drugs in this show too. I use those scenes to have a conversation with them about using drugs and alcohol. The main character Elena seems to have her head on straight. In my opinion she's a good role model, refusing to sit back and watch her brother use drugs and alcohol to cope with the loss of their parents. I think with proper guidance and maybe some fast forwarding of certain scenes your family can enjoy this show.
Kid, 11 years old December 19, 2009

Good!

I love it! It's good for tweens and teens. The only thing bad is the language and the violence. Besides that, great dramatic show!
Teen, 15 years old Written bytiajones19 June 25, 2014