All member reviews for The Walking Dead

Grim zombie drama is artful -- but awfully bloody.

Age

Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written bycrisleem February 13, 2012

Once again Common Sense misses the the sex scenes on something...

Our family loves this show. Have watched them all...till...the episode where Shane is teaching Andrea to shoot and in order to indicate her desire to have sex she grabs his crotch. I was so shocked (so was our 10 year old) I didn't know how to respond. Sadly now she won't be watching which means I probably won't get to watch anymore of them either until after bedtime. I'm not much of a TV person anyway but was happy we found something we all like. I'm bothered (once again) by Common Sense's review. You indicate Not Applicable in the sex catagory, however there was such a scene with Lori and Shane, Glen and Maggie, and then Andrea and Shane. Yes, I know they didn't show anyone naked but each was inappropriate for kids. And there was no need for crotch grabbing at all. I'm not afraid my children will kill people and they know Zombies are real, but there's no need for going that far. I could excuse some of the other sexual stuff but not the grab! PARENTS BEWARE!
Adult Written byHalfBloodPrincess March 13, 2013

Very gory. Some viewers may not be able to handle it, regardless of age.

The Walking Dead is the kind of show you can't really set a specific age-limit for. Characters swear sometimes, including occasional racial slurs such as n****r, but it's not frequent and the character who uses it isn't portrayed in a positive light. Sex is implied a few times, and a man and woman are shown in a sexual position one time, but nothing explicit is shown. Overall, I'd say these factors alone make it appropriate for a thirteen year old. But the main factor is the gore and violence. Although most of the violence is against the "walkers", who are technically already dead, there are a few cases where living people are killed, but it's usually in self defense. Many characters die, some of them becoming walkers themselves. This in itself is not to bad, but the gore is insane. Some young teens may be able to handle it and some adults may not even be able to. I think it's up to the person to decide whether they can handle it or not. Even after all this time, I still have to look away sometimes and there are one or two times I seriously thought I was going to vomit. You see all kinds of organs, sometimes being ripped out of people while they're still alive and being eaten. Gunshots are loud and tend to attract walkers, so a large percentage of them are killed in more graphic ways, such as shooting them through the eye with a crossbow, bludgeoning them with heavy objects, or repeated stabbing them in the head with a knife. There's also some fairly unsettling images. One example that really stands out is an empty car seat covered in a bloody pulp, presumably the remains of an infant that was eaten alive by walkers. Overall, it's a very good show though with an interesting story and complex characters and there's often an interesting twist that you didn't see coming. I was worried when I started watching it that it might be a little scary, something I'm not really into, but so far there have only been two times something has made me jump and I haven't had any nightmares or anything, even when watching it right before bed, so if you're worried about that kind of thing, don't be. Like I said, the main thing is the gore. If you can handle that, I definitely recommend it. It's a fascinating story. Just look at it's rating on Netflix. It's the closest to five stars that I've ever seen.
Parent Written byPlague November 8, 2010

The Walking Dead

This show delivers an intelligent, well made storyline that the viewers will be drawn right into. This show is intensely gorey and has swearing when the characters are in peril. I would not recommend this show to anyone under the age of 13, but would highly recommend it to those who love zombie-based shows/movies.
Teen, 17 years old Written bybowling360 November 11, 2011

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VIOLENCE YES. BUT ACTUALLY THIS SHOW IS KINDA CHRISTIAN. THEY PREY ALOT AND TALK ABOUT GOD. NOTHING WRONG WITH MOVIE!
Parent of a 2, 7, and 10 year old Written bySpongePeteRosepants April 1, 2013

Not for children!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not for children!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent Written bymom4mykidslife December 3, 2012

Not appropriately rated for sexual content!!!!

Why does cable television think it can get away with not rating a drama appropriately for sexual content just because they "include sexual content, but nothing explicit appears on screen." It really doesn't take much imagination to to know what is going on. The sad part is that most of the time these scenes add no important value to the show. Really and truly sad that more parents don't speak up and turn off the TV if producers don't respond. Maybe if they did we'd have much better programming for families on television. This is okay for kids if you don't mind having your television raise your children : (
Parent of a 14 year old Written byGamehawk4884 November 28, 2010

Great for kids who know the differance between fiction and reality.

I personally love this show.it haas some good role models. It is fine for 13yr old s and very mature 12yr olds. Kids these days are going to watch violent shows anyway so it is not a really big issue. Anyways, the show is about zombies, if you kids is mature enough to know the differance between reality and fiction then it is fine.
Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written bylbwear143 November 2, 2013

Please reconsider if you are letting your child watch Walking Dead

I gave the Walking Dead 1 star, because this is a site to help parents and children select age appropriate media. I wholeheartedly discourage parents from allowing their children to watch Walking Dead. Each episode is filled with intense violence. It may be fantasy, but the repeated incidents of violence make the last incident seem tame compared to the next. And it just increases, episode to episode. As an adult, I have been glued to the back story of people trying to survive. There are many compelling adult moments and debates, but this program is not something that a young mind can understand. The Walking Dead is at least 50% violence. Intense violence. Numbing, stupid violence. Not OK for young adults to view as fun. Decide for yourself, but I don't want my children or their peers watching this.
Adult Written byrdee2 March 19, 2012

Stomach- Turning Violence

I AM a fan of zombie movies but the violence is among the worst I have witnessed and often avert my eyes to certain acts. I am appalled this is deemed suitable for tv as the violence is R-rated. Sorry to see AMC stoop to this level.
Parent Written byCuddly1984 November 26, 2011

Straight Forward Review

This show varies in content each season, but what i know for sure is that it is a sci-fi based drama where the protagonist "The Sheriff" wakes from a coma in a post-apocolyptic world full of the walking dead. The protagonist finds his family, including other survivors and they work together to survive. It has a positive message as all of the survivors help eachother survive through each episode. There is some material that is innapropriate for young adults, and may be graphically intimidating for some viewers. Such as when they cut a walker open to search through its intestines. There is also some drinking presant, especially on season 1 episode 6 where the protagonist gets drunk, then talks to the CDC scientist. This show has great dramatic elements, and is excellently scripted, but only for those that can handle it. I would suggest this show for teens 14 and older only if they can handle the graphic content.
Parent Written bytarmale October 28, 2011

Love "The Walking Dead"

I'm very picky about what I watch and I love this show. As an adult, it doesn't scare me of course but I would not allow my children to watch it. My daughter is 13 and she gets scared from the commercials so I really think that it's too gory for anyone under 16 and could cause nightmares. For adults however, it's a very well written show. The acting is very good and when the episode is over it leaves you wanting more!!!
Adult Written bymoviemaker201 August 19, 2013

The Walking Dead

I love this show, not just for the action and scares, but also for the acting (which most shows on T.V. lack), special effects (another rarity in television), and drama. In other words, it's an all around great show. But all that aside, is this show right for you or your kids? ----- Rick Grimes is a regular guy. He's a sheriff and takes his job seriously. in addition to this he also has some issues with his wife. One day while Rick is on duty with his friend Shane, in a grizzly shootout he gets shot in the back. He wakes up in the hospital a long time afterwards, and nobody's there. The hospital's deserted and it looks as if lots of people got hurt while he was unconscious. Suddenly, he exits the hospital and sees several decayed lifeless bodies in the streets. Not long after, one gets up and attacks him. He is rescued by a single father and his son. He learns that the world has changed. "Walkers," or living dead, roam the earth. Now Rick must find his family, defend against the Walkers, compete for resources, and most importantly, survive at all costs in this new, cruel world. ---------- Violence: 10/10 ----- Lots of gunplay, a shootout, grizzly zombie violence and gore, and a dark, tense tone throughout the show. Guts and blood are spilt and poured. Zombies, humans, and animals are pitifully and slowly torn apart. One character is nearly raped. ---------- Sex: 6/10 ----- Some infrequent kissing. Some characters have sex. A man has an affair with his best friend's wife, telling her that he's dead. In season 3, an episode is rated TV-MA for a near-rape scene. A drunk character attempts to have sex with a woman against her will in episode 6 of season 1. (He fails, but he does reach down her panties.) ---------- Language: 6/10 ----- Language is infrequent and includes B-tch, Sh-t, H-ll, D-mn, Piss, Crap, and C-ck. Surprisingly infrequent and clean considering the situations/conditions they're in.
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written byWendyJo August 12, 2012

Definitely not for kids

I'm on episode 2 and there's a sexual encounter complete with a woman in her bra and a man thrusting and grunting. So, the fact that the initial review says "sex is not an issue" makes me question the thoroughness of this website. The violence is accurately described. This is an extremely violent and gory show. I expected that going in, but it even surpassed my expectations in that department.
Teen, 16 years old Written byrolltideroll13 October 21, 2011

Huge fan of The Walking Dead

Great TV show. I love it. It's not just a show about killing zombies. The characters are well developed and most of them are good role models. I started watching it because it was filmed in my city (Atlanta) and I really loved the plot. I usually HATE zombie, vampire, far-fetched sci-fi shows, but this one is great. HIGHLY RECOMMEND! The only thing that isn't appropriate for kids is VERY STRONG violence (Hitting zombies with axes, decomposing bodies, gruesome scenes of death) and some strong language. Theres only one sexual scene at the beginning of one of the episodes but you can't see anything, its just implied. Anyone 15 and up will be fine. I LOVE THIS SHOW!
Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written bySmurfette711 January 12, 2012

DVR and watch after the kids go to bed!

Decomposing bodies that are still moving and actively seeking to eat other characters, violent beheadings among other violence, lots of guns, a fair amount of inappropriate language. I'm not sure why no one else has mentioned the sexual content but this show has dealt with sex, infidelity and most recently, abortion. Just because there isn't blatant nudity and sexual activity does not mean that there isn't any. This is not a show for kids however for adults it's a great drama.
Parent of a 16 year old Written byganstaboy30 July 7, 2012

The best Zombie TV Show Story

There is lots of Violence language and some sex. Andrews wife had sex with his best friend. Then when they get to the farm the chines guy has sex with the owners daughter. Then the Andrews best friend has sex with one of the girls that been in the hole show rite now. There is a lot of fighting and violence, the fighting is from romance and others, There zombie's cutting peoples head off and limbs off of dead and alive people. All are seen on TV exept the sex sen. So its very good if u really pay attention at the story, it's thrilling and exiting, with zombies and things like that. So i see whats in it and when i started watching it is when i was 12 and i think that i shouldn't been seeing it when I'm 12, But these days of what i see kids watching i recommend 13 years old. but iffy for the violence & sex not really much about the language because you chilled already have heard these word before a lot. now i don't know what the new seasons have so i cant really say anything about that WARNING: i am 14 years old please note that i am. and I'm disabled so if theres spelling mistake please not me that i have some spelling. This Movie i recommend is to people that like horror, thrilling, lots of blood, some sex, drama, action, zombies, and the people that made The Shawshank Redemption directer's
Kid, 12 years old December 3, 2010

Depressing, but absoultely amazing,

This TV show is highly addictive (at least for me), and is done well by a very talented director, Frank Darabont, director of The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption (both of which are my favourite movies). However, this show gives off very depressing feelings whilst you grow care for the characters, and it is hard to see some of them die. Fantastic show!
Adult Written byKeepitreal13 July 13, 2012

13 and up

I think that if your thirteen year old doesn't have nightmares about scary things and doesn't repeat bad language unless you allow it I think it would be fine for them to watch it. After all it is all special affects and CGI and fake blood and dummy's, you know that and your kids probably will know that too. There are a few sexual scenes but nothing major. The only terrible bad word is the s word but nothing to bad. Lots of violence, but all special effects makeup of course. If they or you are worried about them watching it just remember that none of its real or remind your kid it's not real. If they start having nightmares about it I would recommend you make them stop watching it because the violence gets worse little by little as the season goes on. I hope this sheds some light on this show and remember to keep an open mind.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMikaylaaMadisonn December 13, 2010

A show about zombies. Dreams do come true. I love that they make the show almost a much about the people as about the zombies. And they obviously have GREAT make-up people! HA. I recommend this to anyone who has ever seen a zombie movie or has even thought about a zombie apocolypse.
Parent Written byHoneyBadgerEthan January 27, 2013

110 out of 100

This is my favorite tv show. All though there is a lot of violence including, zombies ripping people open/apart. A man interrogating a woman and forcing her to take off her shirt and bra. He then gets up, unties his belt and hits her head on a table. ect. It has great role models including a group of people who take care of each other and act as if they are all one family. But There is also a lot of shooting people, and one scene a character hits another with a machete and kills him.