Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for The Walking Dead

Grim zombie drama is artful -- but awfully bloody.

Adult Written byHalfBloodPrincess March 13, 2013

Very gory. Some viewers may not be able to handle it, regardless of age.

The Walking Dead is the kind of show you can't really set a specific age-limit for. Characters swear sometimes, including occasional racial slurs such as n****r, but it's not frequent and the character who uses it isn't portrayed in a positive light. Sex is implied a few times, and a man and woman are shown in a sexual position one time, but nothing explicit is shown. Overall, I'd say these factors alone make it appropriate for a thirteen year old. But the main factor is the gore and violence. Although most of the violence is against the "walkers", who are technically already dead, there are a few cases where living people are killed, but it's usually in self defense. Many characters die, some of them becoming walkers themselves. This in itself is not to bad, but the gore is insane. Some young teens may be able to handle it and some adults may not even be able to. I think it's up to the person to decide whether they can handle it or not. Even after all this time, I still have to look away sometimes and there are one or two times I seriously thought I was going to vomit. You see all kinds of organs, sometimes being ripped out of people while they're still alive and being eaten. Gunshots are loud and tend to attract walkers, so a large percentage of them are killed in more graphic ways, such as shooting them through the eye with a crossbow, bludgeoning them with heavy objects, or repeated stabbing them in the head with a knife. There's also some fairly unsettling images. One example that really stands out is an empty car seat covered in a bloody pulp, presumably the remains of an infant that was eaten alive by walkers. Overall, it's a very good show though with an interesting story and complex characters and there's often an interesting twist that you didn't see coming. I was worried when I started watching it that it might be a little scary, something I'm not really into, but so far there have only been two times something has made me jump and I haven't had any nightmares or anything, even when watching it right before bed, so if you're worried about that kind of thing, don't be. Like I said, the main thing is the gore. If you can handle that, I definitely recommend it. It's a fascinating story. Just look at it's rating on Netflix. It's the closest to five stars that I've ever seen.

Adult Written bymeganjohnson June 12, 2016

Amazing Show

This show is truly the best. It may contain slight violence but it isn't enough to be worried about your child, I mean the show is about zombies. My thirteen year old twins love the show and watch it all the time, even with me there. The sex scenes are barely anything, they show zero inappropriate body parts and arent even a full minute. They are pretty much not even there. There are no drug/smoking parts and this show represents multiple role models. Leadership, survival, and putting others before themselves. The actors themselves go to something called "Walker Stalker Con" where they meet and interact with fans. It's amazing how they put aside their time for the viewers. They are great role models as well. Overall, other parents should not be the slightest bit concerned when they see their kid watching "The Walking Dead".

Adult Written bymom4mykidslife December 3, 2012

Not appropriately rated for sexual content!!!!

Why does cable television think it can get away with not rating a drama appropriately for sexual content just because they "include sexual content, but nothing explicit appears on screen." It really doesn't take much imagination to to know what is going on. The sad part is that most of the time these scenes add no important value to the show. Really and truly sad that more parents don't speak up and turn off the TV if producers don't respond. Maybe if they did we'd have much better programming for families on television. This is okay for kids if you don't mind having your television raise your children : (

Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written byWendyJo August 12, 2012

Definitely not for kids

I'm on episode 2 and there's a sexual encounter complete with a woman in her bra and a man thrusting and grunting. So, the fact that the initial review says "sex is not an issue" makes me question the thoroughness of this website. The violence is accurately described. This is an extremely violent and gory show. I expected that going in, but it even surpassed my expectations in that department.

Adult Written byrdee2 March 19, 2012

Stomach- Turning Violence

I AM a fan of zombie movies but the violence is among the worst I have witnessed and often avert my eyes to certain acts. I am appalled this is deemed suitable for tv as the violence is R-rated. Sorry to see AMC stoop to this level.

Adult Written bybobward June 6, 2016
Excellent, excellent show. Up there with the best.

However, knowing how CSM always tend to exaggerate a hair with their age recommendations, I'm actually surprised they didn't rate this 18+. They obviously didn't make it past season 1 and 2 since after these 2 the show gets way, way, WAY more brutal and bloody. It gets downright disturbing many times. The show really doesn't pull any punches and in that respect, sometimes even surpasses a show like Game of Thrones, namely in the 6th season. Many characters - the ones you root for included - get graphically mutilated, regardless of age or gender, and I do mean that.

Also, it's intriguing to see people on here criticize the sex on a show that has - over 6 seasons - virtually NONE. And yet no mention of the violence.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byReflexian March 6, 2016

Some parents need to stop over exaggerating.

Some parents are exaggerating quite a bit when it comes to the sexual content in The Walking Dead , there is hardly any of that to be found and the sexual content that is in it is not explicit at all compared to some shows / movies that are rated for a younger audience. Kids from 13 and up should have no problems with the sexual content thats in this show because they have learned enough about it at school or from their parents to be able to deal with the content in the walking dead.
The thing to watch out for most is the other content though, not every 13 year old will be able to handle the gore in the walking dead and there is a LOT of it in the show. My daughter is turning 13 this month and i'm trying to figure out if i should allow her to watch or not because of the violence and gore, not because of the sexual content. She has watched the vampire diaries, teenwolf and the hunger games without any problems so shes not that affected by violence etc, but the walking dead is a step further and it's really up to the parents if they think their kids will be able to handle it or not. Definitely not for kids under the age13 anyway.

It is a great show with great role models, but also shows how low the human race can go from acts of kindness to inhumane acts like using people as a food source (canibalism) and i don't mean the zombies, everyone knows what zombies do. The story is wel written and played by a great cast. The sexual content is non explicit and short, bad language is there but it's not used a lot, hardly any drugs or alcohol abuse. .. The really bad things when it comes to deciding at what age a kid should be able to watch the walking dead is the abundance of violence and gore.

I have watched every episode including Fear the walking dead (spin off) so i do know what i am talking about. If you want to see how your kids react to zombies and such, i would advice to let them watch Fear the walking dead first, the first season doesn't have a whole lot of the violence and gore in it so it wont be as "in the face" as the walking dead which is violence and gore from the start.

Parent of a 9, 12, and 15 year old Written byJessiRae October 12, 2014

Not a family show!

I read some reviews saying the Walking Dead is appropriate for children 14 or 13 years old. That is way off!! The show is great for adults but I can't see how violence, including murder, sex and other mature matter is something that a young teenager should watch.

Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written bylbwear143 November 2, 2013

Please reconsider if you are letting your child watch Walking Dead

I gave the Walking Dead 1 star, because this is a site to help parents and children select age appropriate media. I wholeheartedly discourage parents from allowing their children to watch Walking Dead. Each episode is filled with intense violence. It may be fantasy, but the repeated incidents of violence make the last incident seem tame compared to the next. And it just increases, episode to episode. As an adult, I have been glued to the back story of people trying to survive. There are many compelling adult moments and debates, but this program is not something that a young mind can understand. The Walking Dead is at least 50% violence. Intense violence. Numbing, stupid violence. Not OK for young adults to view as fun.
Decide for yourself, but I don't want my children or their peers watching this.

Parent of a 2, 7, and 10 year old Written bySpongePeteRosepants April 1, 2013

Not for children!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not for children!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adult Written byKeepitreal13 July 13, 2012

13 and up

I think that if your thirteen year old doesn't have nightmares about scary things and doesn't repeat bad language unless you allow it I think it would be fine for them to watch it. After all it is all special affects and CGI and fake blood and dummy's, you know that and your kids probably will know that too. There are a few sexual scenes but nothing major. The only terrible bad word is the s word but nothing to bad. Lots of violence, but all special effects makeup of course. If they or you are worried about them watching it just remember that none of its real or remind your kid it's not real. If they start having nightmares about it I would recommend you make them stop watching it because the violence gets worse little by little as the season goes on. I hope this sheds some light on this show and remember to keep an open mind.

Adult Written bymoviemaker201 August 19, 2013

The Walking Dead

I love this show, not just for the action and scares, but also for the acting (which most shows on T.V. lack), special effects (another rarity in television), and drama. In other words, it's an all around great show. But all that aside, is this show right for you or your kids? ----- Rick Grimes is a regular guy. He's a sheriff and takes his job seriously. in addition to this he also has some issues with his wife. One day while Rick is on duty with his friend Shane, in a grizzly shootout he gets shot in the back. He wakes up in the hospital a long time afterwards, and nobody's there. The hospital's deserted and it looks as if lots of people got hurt while he was unconscious. Suddenly, he exits the hospital and sees several decayed lifeless bodies in the streets. Not long after, one gets up and attacks him. He is rescued by a single father and his son. He learns that the world has changed. "Walkers," or living dead, roam the earth. Now Rick must find his family, defend against the Walkers, compete for resources, and most importantly, survive at all costs in this new, cruel world. ---------- Violence: 10/10 ----- Lots of gunplay, a shootout, grizzly zombie violence and gore, and a dark, tense tone throughout the show. Guts and blood are spilt and poured. Zombies, humans, and animals are pitifully and slowly torn apart. One character is nearly raped. ---------- Sex: 6/10 ----- Some infrequent kissing. Some characters have sex. A man has an affair with his best friend's wife, telling her that he's dead. In season 3, an episode is rated TV-MA for a near-rape scene. A drunk character attempts to have sex with a woman against her will in episode 6 of season 1. (He fails, but he does reach down her panties.) ---------- Language: 6/10 ----- Language is infrequent and includes B-tch, Sh-t, H-ll, D-mn, Piss, Crap, and C-ck. Surprisingly infrequent and clean considering the situations/conditions they're in.

Adult Written byflyigncrow52 March 30, 2013

Waste of time

ABSOLUTELY NO redeeming value... Unless of course you want your children growing up with these pictures in their minds. Seems we have enough REAL blood and gore in our lives as it is ....

Adult Written byHoneyBadgerEthan January 27, 2013

110 out of 100

This is my favorite tv show. All though there is a lot of violence including, zombies ripping people open/apart. A man interrogating a woman and forcing her to take off her shirt and bra. He then gets up, unties his belt and hits her head on a table. ect. It has great role models including a group of people who take care of each other and act as if they are all one family. But There is also a lot of shooting people, and one scene a character hits another with a machete and kills him.

Adult Written byRun boy run. July 7, 2012

Violent and dark, not kid stuff.

Parent of a 8, 14, and 17 year old Written bySpecimenB June 22, 2012

The reviewer missed the sex.

I think it's important to note that there are a few moments of sex in the episodes. Even one or two that can be considered graphic. The show as a whole is written and executed very well. However, there is a constant grey line when it comes to morality and no real positive role model in the bunch.

Parent Written bytarmale October 28, 2011

Love "The Walking Dead"

I'm very picky about what I watch and I love this show. As an adult, it doesn't scare me of course but I would not allow my children to watch it. My daughter is 13 and she gets scared from the commercials so I really think that it's too gory for anyone under 16 and could cause nightmares. For adults however, it's a very well written show. The acting is very good and when the episode is over it leaves you wanting more!!!

Parent of a 14 year old Written byGamehawk4884 November 28, 2010

Great for kids who know the differance between fiction and reality.

I personally love this show.it haas some good role models. It is fine for 13yr old s and very mature 12yr olds. Kids these days are going to watch violent shows anyway so it is not a really big issue. Anyways, the show is about zombies, if you kids is mature enough to know the differance between reality and fiction then it is fine.

Parent Written byMovieTracker3 October 6, 2014

A chilling, but entertaining show.

It may sound crazy, but I let my whole family watch the show. Even the 2 year old. The walking dead is a bit scary, but is always encouraging to "live on" and "fight thru the mess" . I am a very concerned parent, but this show easily passes my radar.

Parent of a 4 and 5 year old Written byLuvBinAMommy08 October 16, 2013

Violents and gore but has a positive message

Some sexual content, not often, no nudity. Lots of violence and gore, some episode more than others, some language, and drinking.
On a positive note the main character is a father trying to do right and show his child that you can still do good and help people.