All member reviews for The Walking Dead

Grim zombie drama is artful -- but awfully bloody.

Teen, 17 years old Written bykaushikl June 29, 2015

Its completely inappropriate for kids!!

Dont let your kids watch this show.It has a lot of bloodshed and action.But there are few family values and morals
Adult Written bywoooooooooo June 28, 2015

amazing for the right audience

Very very good but includes a couple of sexual content but nothing explicit. Also includes some strong language and a lot of violence,blood,guts. Apart from them minor issues the show is amazing!
Kid, 12 years old June 27, 2015

Great Show With Great Story

I'll admit; The Walking Dead Is Gory, There Is Swearing, And A Bit Of Sex. But It Is More Than Made Up For By The Incredible Characters, which You Feel Drawn To, And The Diverse Storyline.
Kid, 10 years old June 21, 2015

BEST SHOW EVER YOU WIL HAVE NO REGRETS

This is literally my favorite show in existence! I'm 10 almost 11 and the "romance" scenes don't bother me I just focus on other things. The gore in no way bothers me! I like gore, zombie apocalypses, and such. You may my be a huge fan but if your child wants to watch it, watch one episode with them and you decide. My mom and I watch with each other and we both love it. I got my sister into it too! The role models are mostly amazing, Rick only cares about those in the group he leads, as they have become his family. Great messages too. These include but are not limited too, the ones you love are so important. That blood doesn't mean you're not family, and such. The show is amazing MUST WATCH I LOVE IT
Adult Written byMediaHelp June 20, 2015

Very different

An excellent, developed story line that is very gory but makes you think about difficult situations and hard decisions people in this pandemic have to face. Not sure why many reviews are concerned about the sexual content as their are very few sex scenes for a TV-MA rated TV show. The show is focussed on when to make violent decisions, as it is shown as an appropriate action for the situations. Teenagers, especially older should be able to understand this and the gory isn't really an age factor as it all depends on the person.
Adult Written byJacobTC June 16, 2015

between iffy and off...

VERY BLOODY with tons of cussing even words like n***r and motherf**k some sex and drugs NOT for anyone under 15!
Kid, 12 years old June 8, 2015

Not Too Bad

I am a kid who knows what's going on, knew the cuss words before I watched the show, and pretty much wasn't innocent at all. If you are intent on preserving your kid's innocence, I wouldn't recommend you let them watch this show. There is cussing, implied sex and references to sex, and some drugs, smoking, and alcohol. By middle school, kids'll most likely be cussing in the hallways, know what smoking and alcohol are, and will most likely be joking about drugs. If your kid isn't the one doing it, they'll hear others do it. There is quite a lot of gore, so if your kids are squeamish about such things, this show isn't for them. The storyline's pretty nice, and the characters well rounded. If you still have no concerns, you should let your kid watch it if they wish.
Teen, 14 years old Written byI_Eat_Runningbacks52 May 14, 2015

Heart-pounding and brilliantly written Zombie-horror series with its fair share of highly intense violence and gore

The Walking Dead perfectly showcases the theme of society breaking down after a zombie apocalypse, along with pristine character development, a high-quality script, and a very talented group of actors/actresses with genuinely compelling performances. That being said; this is still a post-apocalyptic zombie horror series being made with post-2010 effects we're talking about here, meaning that it would be foolish to not expect gory violence-laden scenes in every episode. This can include people getting their necks/guts ripped open by heavily-damaged, decomposing corpses, people AND zombies alike getting impaled/shot/eaten/heads bashed open by the nearest blunt object a character can find, you name it; its in there. Characters frequently use the usual expletives: B****,F***,S***,A**, and so on, but don't tell me that you wouldn't too if the entire country was crawling with zombies! As for sex; parents usually seem to put sex as a higher priority to say "no-no" to for kids then violence, so fortunately; in the Walking dead, sex scenes are never shown, however sexual themes/references are still there. Most 15 year olds and SOME mature 14 year olds should be able to handle this show jut fine, but NO ONE under that should be allowed to view it. Not just the violence, but the thoughts that can be invoked of family members/friends becoming soulless zombies, and you having to kill them, or even the other way around can severely frighten children, even if the show is pure fiction.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBenols May 12, 2015

It's quite good

So, yeah, it's a pretty good show. If you know nothing about it, the premise is that a the dead has started to rise due to a virus, and we follow a group of people as they try to survive in this post apocalyptic world. It's kind of an allegory as I see it, but instead of, for example, using people crashing on a abandoned island as the McGuffin, like in Lord Of The Flies, they instead use zombies. One should not look away from the fact that it is very violent though. Most of the violence is between humans and zombies, or walkers, as they are known as in the series. The violence can get rather graphic, but after a few episodes it doesn't really have the same chock value as in the early episodes. The overall appearance of the walkers can be pretty disturbing, especially later on, as they start to decay even more. They are very hollow and act like animals, having no former recollection of their former lives, so when they're killed (or re-killed I guess) you don't really sympathize with them. It's probably the violence towards humans, that you should care about. Walkers killing humans can get pretty graphic, but as stated before, once you've seen it it won't have the same chock value. There is also more human on human violence in later seasons, but it's mostly limited to fistfights, shooting and the occasional stabbing. The on-screen sexual content isn't too bad. It's very PG-13 (sorry, I'm not so familiar with the MPAA) and if there is nudity it's covered up by smartly placed props and camera angles. There's a case adultery, but it's mostly there to cause drama between the characters. It's probably the implied sexual violence that you should worry about. There are some mentions and implications about rape, but this happens very seldom. Nothing is ever showed of this. There is also a case of implied domestic violence. There is some cursing, but nothing a teen have never heard before, and it isn't used just because they can, but to either enhance how a characters feelings are shown or on certain character who just simply tend to swear a lot. To create authenticity, you know. But it never gets to an exaggerated, silly level. There is one character though who is very rude and also racist, who swears and uses discriminating terms more than any one else. But this character is only one in a cast of dozens. There is some occasional drinking and referencing drugs. Nothing too bad. Just so you know I'm not a horror movie person. I've literally only seen two horror movies in my life. When I started watching I thought that I'd see the first episode and the never want to see it again, but that obviously wasn't the case. Now, this is just me, but it's not that ... scary, I guess. Yea, it's quite gross, the overlaying threat of a walker attack is causing suspense and there is jump-scares, as you would expect from a series like this. But it's not like a horror movie, in the sense that you feel scared or bad after watching it. The focus is not on the walkers , but instead on the humans who are trying to survive. The walkers are just the reason for the conflict in the series. It is very dark and a lot of characters die, which leads to some very sad moments, but it's as said, to be expected from a series like this. My recommended age for watching The Walking Dead is, of course, just an estimation. There's probably a lot of kids below 14 that could watch it alone at night, and tons of adults that couldn't watch even if they were surrounded by other people in broad daylight. So it's just a recommendation. It's well made and has a compelling story. I hope this review has been helpful =)
Teen, 14 years old Written byASDS1234321 April 28, 2015

GREAT

Great show, has violence but they do it to make the story more realistic (GREAT CGI BTW). There is little to no sex or swearing and not a lot of drugs and alcohol. They even went out of the way to change the ending of season 4 from "they're f**king with the wrong people" to "they're screwing with the wrong people". This is a show meant for a more mature audience and kids under 10 should probably not watch it unless they can handle blood and gore. I've been watching since the beginning and I was only 10. Again it all depends on the child. Hope you like the show thanks for reading. :D
Teen, 15 years old Written byMichael Ryan Metzger April 16, 2015

The Walking Dead is good, but very graphic

Parents and children should know that the Walking Dead is a fantastic horror/drama TV show that features Rick Grimes waking up from the hospital in the middle of the zombie apocalypse, and he must find help in order to survive flesh-eating zombies. The Walking Dead is meaningful and has good common sense, but it gets very bloody at some episodes. There is a scene in the second episode where Rick is attacked by massive hordes of zombies that infest Atlanta City, and there is brief scene that visually shows zombies disemboweling a horse and eating it's intestines. Zombies will be shot, spilt in half, decapitated, crushed, ran over, and blown up. There are also various scenes of different characters getting bit or eaten alive, and blood will spray and squirt. A male character is trying to keep zombies from breaking down a fence, and then he gets bit on the shoulder by a zombie that had came up behind him. Muscle and tissue can be shown tearing away from his shoulder. The Walking Dead isn't big on sex either. there are a few scenes of sex or kissing, but nothing explicit is shown, besides one scene when a female character grabs a male's crotch, and off-screen sex is taken into place. However, the show also focuses on family, teamwork, and survival in a world populated by the dead. Teens and Adults may enjoy, but kids under 12 or 14 probably should know what they're getting themselves into.
Kid, 11 years old April 13, 2015

Grimm drama full of mature themes

After seeing the first season I begged my dad to let me watch the rest at first I left notes expressing how I am mature enough to watch it he said no.Then I went to ebay and looked for a cheap boxset of the walking dead for 21 euro.I begged and he finaly at a moment of weakness said yes.I bought the boxset and under his supervision watched all four seasons.We both enjoyed the seasons and he would complain about the gore and blood.long story short it's full of gore sex isn't really an issue.Drugs almost none.Language a bit strong with the final sentence of the fourth season 'who the f**k their screwing with.But overall it's good and has some good role models but VERY gory Like a man bit another man in the neck and ripped out his juglar and a disease that causes lots of internal/external bleeding but overall 11 and up should be alright
Kid, 12 years old April 8, 2015
Teen, 15 years old Written byMoifur April 3, 2015

Truly amazing; but dark and gritty

VIOLENCE/GORE: 9.4/10 - Gory, bloody, but rarely against humans. SEX/NUDITY: 5/10 - Infrequent and dotted throughout the series, and it's mild. DRUG USE: 4/10 - Rare to have, but there are some episodes with drinking. INTENSE SCENES/HORROR: 8.2/10 - Overall theme is dark and gritty, and there are some scary moments. This show is truly brilliant! The quality is amazing, the writing, I feel, is top notch. However, is it appropriate for children? I would say maybe. The show is a horror-drama, and it is definitely bloody and very gory. It has been said by Rolling Stone to be the most disgusting show on television! Some notable gory encounters: Chopping up a zombie to use the innards as a protection to get through a horde of zombies, (they use smell as their judge of a living person or dead person) using a pickaxe to chop of a dead body, a zombie body gets ripped into two, (probably the most disgusting scene of the show) zombie/human gore is typically found lying around, humans cut open a zombie to see if he ate a person recently, a zombies head gets pushed into a gate, tearing it's face. A zombie falls from a high distance and it "explodes". (the zombies throughout the show "rot" and thus become squishy) Those scenes are dotted across the series. There is also semi-frequent bashing of heads, cutting off zombie limbs, crushing zombies, etc. And in basically every episode, zombies will get shot, stabbed, and "killed" in many different ways, all in graphic detail. Sounds pretty bad, right? Well, it's important to note that the show does revolve around zombies, and their is a sense of "this isn't real" throughout it. And 98% of the violence/gore revolves around the zombies. There is also frequent swearing in the show, including Sh*t, da*n, a*s, b*tch, and so on. Middle finger is rare. Overall the swearing happens frequently due to the fact that they are in a zombie apocalypse... So the swearing never actually feels unnecessary or gratuitous. And there are very occasional sex scenes. (s1 ep 2 actually starts off with one, which is actually one of the most "graphic" sex scenes in the series.) But there is never any nudity, (there is implied nudity) and the scenes are generally very brief. Each sex scene has a point to it. At most, it's PG-13 stuff. But what makes this show great is the character relations, development, and interaction. There are some really great role models in this show, and some really good messages. It's thought provoking at times, and in all honesty, is beautiful. I am a guy, and this is the first piece of film/television that I have actually shed a tear for. It's truly beautiful and heart warming. The show is so dark and gritty, and in a sense, hopeless, that it really shows how valuable life is, and the state of humanity. This show may have a lot of gore to it, sometimes unnecessary, but they don't use that as the driving point. The good, positive messages outweigh the bad easily, and if you can stomach gore, then there is no reason not to watch it! I would say it's hands down, R. Very graphic violence. R violence, R language, PG-13 sex and PG drug use. But it's not a hard R, I think. It's not a soft R either. Any mature 14-15-16 year old can handle the show. Maybe younger, but if I actually look back, I don't think I actually could of handled it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byHelenaJ March 30, 2015

Not appropriate for kids!

Asked my mum if i could watch it and she said no, for a good reason! But of course i had to go behind her back and watch 1 season. Regret it alot.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymad about tv March 29, 2015

bloody ( if you'll excuse the pun) good

Impressive how it captures a post apocalyptic world. Some very dramatic scenes. If you know you can handle gore then great but for anyone else this is not for you. When you start it you may be put off by all the violence but get through that and you'll realize that it's a good show
Teen, 13 years old Written byMikehp March 23, 2015

Good for a mature 12 year old

I started watching this when I was 12 after years of convincing my mom to let me watch this show after the fifth season rolled along I was alowed to and my mom came to see what was happening and became instantly hooked I have read the comics before watching the show. This show is very good and is not that bad as cs says it is try to watch an episode with your child and decide if your child is ready for this awesome show
Adult Written byJasonMovie March 15, 2015

Great TV show with so much blood and violence

The blood and violence in this show is endless. There were some beloved characters in the series that die and there is even a mad murdering team of humans killing other humans instead of the zombies. Although the Sheriff is a good role model and does what ever he can to keep his family alive and doesn't even kill a member of his group that is dying from a zombie bite.
Parent Written bysallyd1 March 4, 2015

Great for adults 17+ = NOT KIDS!!!!

This is a show my husband and I like, but, definitely not for children. What are parents thinking, letting children whose minds are still forming (up till age 21) watch this? There are good role models, its poetic, good story lines, but there is graphic violence and lots of killing that kids should not become used to watching. There are swear words. It has some redeeming values - I will just wait till my teenager is a bit older!
Adult Written byNitroreviews February 22, 2015

The Walking Dead Review

For you parents out there who haven't watched this show and aren't sure if you should allow your kid to watch this, I am here to tell you the honest truth about this show. This show is an amazing show packed with horror and action, but if your kid is under 13, you might want to think before allowing him or her to watch it. The show is quite violent, there are zombies eating people, zombies getting stabbed and shot constantly, sometimes people getting shot or tortured. And a few episodes have some sexual situations, but not many, there is also tons of swears throughout the show, some uses of a**, sh*t, b**ch, and h*ll. But, the show has a really interesting plot and is worth checking out.