Grim zombie drama is artful -- but awfully bloody.

Teen, 13 years old Written bypeterwilsonUA15 August 4, 2016

Very good, very gory

Obviously the show is violent, it's known for it. And a lot of times it's very gory and gross. But I haven't known anyone that can't take the gore. Most of it isn't realistic and can easily be seen as fake. So if you or your kid can handle violence that shouldn't be an issue. There is also a lot of language but everybody hears that kind of language pretty much everywhere they go. The only other issue is the sex which is never shown explicitly. A lot of times it's just implied but sometimes they show some of the sex, you never see any nudity. One time in the third season a character is trying to get information from somebody and almost rapes them. You don't see anything but it might be too much for some people. So there's no specific age to start watching its just the discretion of the parents.
Parent Written byzombieslaya108 July 15, 2016

Really great but not for kids

Sex: Infrequent sexual content, nothing graphic. There is partial nudity some episodes here and there. Violence: There is explicit graphic violence in every episode including scenes of shootings, beheading, stabbings, head bashing. etc. Most of the zombies kills are very graphic such as stabbing in the head with a pen, crushing its skull, etc. Some episodes does have children involved in death scenes as well. As well as being killed. This is one of the most violent television series ever to date. The show was originally rated TV-14, but ended up so extremely graphic and grisly such as blood squirting, limbs cutting, decapitation, etc (some do involve children) that AMC had to change the rating to TV-MA. The early episodes that were rated TV-14 was later changed to TV-MA in recent airings as well. Language: There is moderate language throughout the show such as @$$, $h!t, B!tch, etc. The F bomb is used once in the Season 4 finale but its only heard on DVD/Blu-Ray. Drinking/Drugs/Smoking There is some scenes with alcohol and smoking. One episode in season 1, Rick told Merle that he had something on his knows which is possibly cocaine. You briefly see a little powder on his nose, but it never showed him using it.
Kid, 12 years old July 14, 2016

One of my favorite TV series!

Me, my mom, and my dad are so hooked to this series! The story is great, the characters are memorable, and has a lot of awesome moments. It is VERY bloody. It also has loads of violence and language. Lots of the characters, including kids, die. There are a lot of scary and sad moments. There is a couple of sex scenes but never includes nudity. Overall, a great show for teens!
Teen, 13 years old Written byShield July 11, 2016

Bloody, some frightening images

It's a very good show, I highly enjoy it, but some stuff in it is more adult. The zombies can be scary to little kids, there is a lot of blood and arms and legs getting cut/ripped off. I think the violence and gore is ok for kids 10-11 up, but some other stuff is questionable. It's common for an episode to have a sex scene, they don't show any nudity but they can last a minute or two. I recommend watching each episode before your kid so you know if they should skip it or not.
Teen, 13 years old Written byannie0k July 11, 2016

This show is so good...until season 5

This show is very good. The zombies are so over the top that they aren't scary (in my opinion). The gore might be a bit much for less mature tween/teens to handle. It was really good until the fifth season. It becomes less about the characters against the walkers and more about people hurting other people. In my opinion, 12+ For seasons 1-4 and 13,14+ for 4-6. It really comes down to the maturity of the audience.
Adult Written byspringion July 9, 2016

Great, But NOT FOR KIDS.

Violence:10/10 Walkers and Humans are killed in Graphic, Bloody ways. Sex/Nudity:2/10 Infrequent brief nudity and sex scenes. Language: 7/10 Frequent uses of Shit Uncensored on cable. There is other frequent uses of Bitch, Ass, Damn, Whore Drinking,Drugs,Smoking:4/10 Infrequent smoking and drinking. Overall 18+ Because of Language, and Graphic violence
Teen, 14 years old Written byMadWolf12 July 5, 2016

For 14 and Strong-hearted/Mature 13 year-olds, NOT the faint of heart

This show is very adult in nearly every way. There is occasional smoking, a fair amount of drinking (there are barely any scenes with anyone more than a little buzzed), sexual content, violence, gore, tension, suspense, and things like that. Main characters and kids are killed and it's not always in the most peaceful ways if you know what I mean. Children and main characters are also frequently put in perilous, dangerous, scary, and gruesome situations and the show doesn't do much at all to spare the light-hearted. If youre worried about the sexual content alone then don't be. Its nothing that most teenagers haven't seen before. To help more I'll tell you the most sexual scenes in the show so far: a woman in her bra(she later takes that off too but nothing is seen), a woman grabbing a man's crotch to indicate she wants to have sex(but he's fully clothed when this happens), and a woman and man undressing for sex but no actual sex or body parts are seen. There are many sexual references but visually that's about as bad as it gets. The main problem I would consider is that this show gets very gory and violent. Characters bond and show good connections, grow up and grow as people, and do show good habits. The horror is mostly in the horrific look and actions of the zombies. You don't need to worry much about jump scares as there are only a few and they're pretty cheap as well as predictable. There is a lot of suspense and tension in this show. But there's also a fair amount of good messages and people. People going insane in a variety of ways for a number of different reasons is frequent as much of the show revolves around the impact the zombie apocalypse has on the survivors. A show you can't miss an episode of, I suggest watching it on Netflix where they have five of the current six seasons available. Overral, this show is great and rather addictive for the strong hearted and if some edgy sexual content, gore and violence of all kinds, and a few dark moments (plus the rather obvious horror element) can be handled this show is really great.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBaseball-16 June 27, 2016

Good

Bloody some cussing but not terrible some sexual content
Teen, 13 years old Written byCindy Halo June 24, 2016

Review from a 13 year old

I started watching this amazing TV show when I was twelve. I was fine with it from the start but if I were honest, if I had watched it when I was 11 I would have been shocked. I wrote down 12+ because people have different maturity ages. I started maturing when I was twelve, and I think I was pretty early. Some people in my class are thirteen and are still scared of The Walking Dead but there's fewer people left. People's maturity ages are different and if I were a parent, I would let my child watch the first episode and see how it goes. If they get nightmares, their grades go down or makes them more aggressive or violent, then I would make them stop watching it because they aren't mature enough for it. There aren't any drugs but there are a few sex scenes. One in season 1 and I think about 2 in season 2 and another one in season 3. They aren't a big deal, they aren't completely nude (except for one in season 3) and you don't see any body parts at all. I remember that when I used to watch movies with my parents when there were sex scenes my parents would mute the TV and make me look away. If it really bothers you, then maybe you should do that. There's a bit of swearing but it's nothing that your child hasn't heard before. Words such as: sh*t, h*ll, d*mn, *ss and maybe once f*ck. I think that if you're mature enough to watch it, I would really recommend it. There is violence but the violence would basically be killing zombies and seeing a lot of blood coming out of them. I don't find that very violent and you get used to it after a while. I feel like it's such a great show and it shows the people's psychology and how they react with a zombie apocalypse. It's one of those shows were practically every episode, something dramatic happens and usually a person dies once every 4-5 episodes.
Parent Written bysoccermom178 June 13, 2016

Great Show For Everyone

Lots of parents believe "The Walking Dead" is full of violence, inappropriate scenes, and lots of swearing. It honestly isn't. What parents don't know is that this show is not only entertaining to kids, but it provides great role models and survival skills. There is some slight violence, but it depends on the episode. People over-exaggerate the sex scenes by a lot. They are barely there and show no body parts whatsoever. I would rate this show 13 or even 12+, because my daughter that just recently became a teen loves this show. I watched the whole first through sixth season with her, and I saw no reason for her to turn it off.
Parent Written bysusanmsmith June 12, 2016

Violent but has Great Role Models and Storyline

As a parent of a 13 and 15 years old, I do like to be cautious with what my kids watch. First let me tell you, it is not just a show about "killing zombies." This show has a very interesting storyline and shows how important working together is. From waking up in the middle of nowhere, a man finds his wife and son, along with other people they were with. These people grew together and became a big family. The rest of the group could not survive without him, and he could not survive without them. Yes, it is bloody, but your kids know that none of it is real. I wouldn't be too worried about the sex scenes either. Nothing is shown, there is no nudity, and sex is only implied. Your tweens or teens most likely have full knowledge of that topic anyway. Nothing will be new to them. Notice how the child's age rating is always lower than the parent's. They know more than we as parents think they know, which does upset me, but I promise you it is no big deal. Some Parents on Common Sense Media do indeed exaggerate quite a bit, but so do the kids. Do not trust the reviews that say 8+ or 10+. I would definitely not let my children watch "The Walking Dead" at that age. The good in this show does truly outweigh the bad, despite what other reviewers might say. I cannot stress this enough. I believe a mature 12 year old or children ages 13+ would be the suitable ages to watch this show.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydance562 June 10, 2016

The Walking Dead

such an amazing show! #caryl #richonne #carnid #gleggie <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
Adult Written bybobward June 6, 2016
Excellent, excellent show. Up there with the best. However, knowing how CSM always tend to exaggerate a hair with their age recommendations, I'm actually surprised they didn't rate this 18+. They obviously didn't make it past season 1 and 2 since after these 2 the show gets way, way, WAY more brutal and bloody. It gets downright disturbing many times. The show really doesn't pull any punches and in that respect, sometimes even surpasses a show like Game of Thrones, namely in the 6th season. Many characters - the ones you root for included - get graphically mutilated, regardless of age or gender, and I do mean that. Also, it's intriguing to see people on here criticize the sex on a show that has - over 6 seasons - virtually NONE. And yet no mention of the violence.
Kid, 12 years old June 1, 2016

Brutal but interesting!

The show contains a lot of graphic violence and sometimes bad language. Is recommended for mature audiences.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMaxied33 May 26, 2016

I love it but maybe not appropriate for some

I love this show but it may not be appropriate for some audiences. It has a lot of gore and violence, but nothing to much for me. The it also has mild cursing like in season 2 episode 5 it is very hard to understand but with subtitles on you see that they say the N-word. They also say the f-word in Spanish in some of the beginning episodes. There is also very obvious sexual innuendos and some sex.But I still love the show. It is a very good show that will always keep you on the edge of your seat.
Kid, 9 years old May 13, 2016

Outstanding and brilliant horror epic is incredibly graphic and awfully bloody.

My rating:R for strong and disturbing horror violence throughout, language, and sexual content.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDmitrijsk28542 May 9, 2016

THE BEST WALKING DEAD

THERRR BE VIOLENCE AND THERRR BE GUTS BUT IT BE INTERESTING ARRR EPIC STORYLINE ARARARRR MOMENTS OF OF WEE MASSIVE SUSPENSE -The Fairy
Teen, 14 years old Written byfoxmalmage13 May 7, 2016

Great, immersive show

An extreamly gory and disturbing show with top notch entertainment quality. All the characters including the protagonists make morally questionable choices. Loaded with mature themes like rape, cannabalism, and domestic violence and people and children are always killing each other, sometimes their family members in order to stay alive.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAndrewThePerson May 7, 2016

Amazing but not for under 13

I love this show and watch it all the time but it is not for kids under 13. My parents let me watch it when I was 12 and I loved it but yeah it's definitely not for under 13 :)
Kid, 11 years old May 1, 2016

Gore

I watch it with my parents and really there is rarely anyone dieing from "walkers" or "zombies" it's mainly them just surviving from other bad people,but when people do get killed by zombies it is pretty gory