All member reviews for The Walking Dead

Grim zombie drama is artful -- but awfully bloody.

Teen, 13 years old Written bylovepopcornx May 12, 2014

Lots of violence, but a great show!

I've been watching the Walking Dead since about January, and I can tell you it's super violent. The sexual content is mild, but I can tell you there is not much. Personally, it's up to the parents to decide whether or not it's okay to let kids under 12 watch this. If you think you or you're kid can handle it, go ahead but if you are a kid, make sure to skip a few scenes.
Teen, 14 years old Written bypinkman May 12, 2014

Amazing

I usually hate horror based films and shows, but The Walking Dead is one of my favourite shows. Definitely not a good show to watch if you don't like gory, bloody, occasionally jumpy shows, but if you do, perfect! It is extremely violent in pretty much every episode, as you can probably tell. Don't watch if you easily get attached to characters, because you never know if they'll be killed off! The characters are brilliant, and the actors who play them are even better. I love the storyline and each episode leaves you wanting more. A must see for any horror lover.
Teen, 13 years old Written byA t-Rex April 29, 2014

most realistic zombie entertainment out there

now i know zombies don't exist, but i say realistic because it is more then just brutal zombie massacring. very bloody, for instance, in season 2, a zombie is found inside a well. trying not to infect the water, our team of survivors attempts to pull it out of the well. but when it is almost out, the zombie snags on the inner rim of the well, tearing the zombie in half. there is sexual content, violence, blood, mature themes, swearing, and some of the most creative kills i've ever seen in zombie entertainment. as well, the protagonist, rick grimes, is a great role model for still helping others despite the fact that the world is full of reanimated corpses.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheSuperDead April 27, 2014

The Walking Dead is a Great Show!

The Walking Dead has lots of gruesome violence and a non-graphic sexual scene maybe 1 to 2 times a season. Although, this series shouldn't be too inappropriate to 13 years old. Being 13 myself, I say that The Walking Dead should be ok for 13 year olds and maybe mature 12 year olds.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAJSS1234 April 17, 2014

Ok

I was twelve and in 7th grade when I heard my friends talking about The Walking Dead. I found it on Netflix and started watching the first episode. I would watch it after school everyday. I had a nightmare after the first three episodes but got over it. The blood and gore varies from each episode. Some episodes were blood baths, in other episodes there was no violence at all. This show actually has more drama than busting up zombies and cursing is frequent but nothing a kid hasn't heard. The sexual content only appeared in one episode. I'd say this show would be okay for kids even younger than me actually.
Teen, 15 years old Written byFangirlsUnited April 15, 2014

"The Walking Dead", Violence, Swearing, and Sex.

First of all, Violence: This show obviously about the "zombie apocalypse" and how it changes the world as we know it. The zombies, or walkers, in this show are more graphic and scary than most shows with similar topics, often having exposed bones and organs, missing limbs, and other gruesome features. It is a horror/thriller/suspense show, so this is understandable. Also, main characters in this show will get shot, bitten, killed, etc. It is important for parents or teens to know that this show has these often disturbing elements. I have been watching "The Walking Dead" since I was 12, right as it first aired in 2010. I personally don't mind the violence as much, however, most kids and teens are more affected by the violence. I think that it defiantly depends on the maturity of you or your children. If they are easily scared I wouldn't recommend this show to them. Secondly, Swearing: The language in this show is a bit iffy, but i've heard worse from a few minutes in the middle or high school halls. The adults will often say things like: d-mn, h-ll, cr-p, etc. They do, however very rarely, use sh-t. They also have racist or other profane words such as: n-gg-r, p-ssy, and pr-ck. These moments are rare as well. I don't think that the language in this show is the main turn away for most and shouldn't be. Lastly, Sex: Personally, the only thing that I do not like about this show is the sex. I feel that it is not necessary and shouldn't be included. I wasn't really exposed to things like that before I watched the show, and it made me more cautious. To elaborate, the scenes in "The Walking Dead" that contain sexual content don't actually show any nudity or exposed body parts that would not be appropriate for kids, but often the women are topless, wearing only a bra, but it is completely covering any graphic or obscene parts of the body. However, there are scenes that parents should be wary of. In the first season of this show, on one of the first few episodes, there is a scene that includes sex, but I think that it is one of the most iffy scenes in the show. I would recommend that parents watch a few episodes before letting their kids watch it. Determining whether you want your children seeing this depends mostly on the maturity of your kid. One more thing that I feel I should add that I think many other people are missing: The positive message. I feel that most people miss out on the point of "The Walking Dead". At least in my opinion, the show is about surviving despite all the odds against you, and being willing to lay down your life for others who mean a lot to you. It shows you that there is always something to live for, no matter how bad things seem. The struggles that all of the characters face on a daily basis seem more than most people could handle, but somehow they make it through the day. Their problems don't make them weaker, but quite the opposite; it forces them to become stronger and grow closer together despite their conflicts and differences. Their senses of what is right and wrong often become twisted and torn at by emotion, but most of them make the right choices. I think that these are all important lessons or a kid to learn, and "The Walking Dead" helps them. Most people just want to focus on the killing and sex in the storyline, but there is a lot more to it, you just have to look a bit deeper and you can see what I mean.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHightech Redneck April 13, 2014

Awesome zombie show!

This is a well done show. I've only seen the first 3 seasons so far because that's what's available on Netflix so I have no idea what season 4 is like. It obviously has violence being a zombie show, but contains more gore than needed. Language including s**t is used sometimes. It has some sexual content but no frontal nudity. Not for small children or anyone easily scared (esp. by zombies or blood), but if you are not in that category, you should watch it!
Teen, 13 years old Written byHolly245 April 12, 2014

Amazing show

I love this tv show. I started watching this when I was 11 but I'm very mature. If your kid gets scared very easy I would not let them watch it. When I did start watching it I did not get nightmares or anything like that but if your kid gets frightened by little things then don't let them watch this.
Adult Written byonedayyoullsee123 March 20, 2014

The Walking Dead causes pshycosis in viewers?

I strongly believe to a very high degree that this show should not be viewed by people who tend to overthink, or people with ADHD. This show has messed with my dreams. Every night I have nightmares about squatting abandoned buildings with a group, hunting in pacs for food and killing for survival. These nightmares are so brutal and disturbing, I wake up covered in sweat and hyperventilating in shock. that sounds pretty dramatic, right? well, its true. I wake up a paranoid mess. I got a bit drunk one night with my boyfriends family. In the taxi home, I had this random drunken outburst where I blurted out my nightmares and started having a panic attack. I didn't realise just how disturbed I was from these nightmares I had been suppressing.
Kid, 11 years old March 14, 2014

Pretty gory but alright for 14+

The Walking Dead is deserving of the 14A rating. It is pretty violent and dramatic. There are mild sexual scenes and a little bit of swearing. Parents should check out the first few episodes before letting their kids watch this.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMckittrickml March 9, 2014

It's a terrific show if you can handle it.

Me and my sister rented season 2 and 3 from our library and we were instantly obsessed with it. I think that anyone who can handle the gore can watch the show. My sister is 12 and she is not scared at all by the show. There will be an occasional stomach wrenching scene but its not that bad. I say if you have a tough kid they can watch the show.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAlex33Labus March 5, 2014

Iffy for 12 year olds

A very suspenseful show with many jump scares. Mature 12 year olds could possibly take it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySplats March 2, 2014

Repetitive Borefest

When I heard one of my all time favorite movies' director, "The Shawshank Redemption's" Frank Darabont was releasing a TV show based off one of a top-notch graphic novel: "The Walking Dead" by Robert Kirkman, I remember being excited as the kid I was back in 2010. However, the series of the same name Darabont came up with disappointed incredibly. It may have been my huge expectations I had for this thing, having read the books, also making my opinion rather biased, if you will, but where the comics featured characters that all seem amazingly human with each their own traits and qualities, Darabont obliterates any possibility to like anyone at all, making every character cringeworthily black and white. Admitted, I never made it past season one because of the laughably horrible cliffhanger at the end, destroying all my hopes I had for what was yet to come. If there's anything good I have to say about "The Walking Dead", it's probably that they nailed the aesthetic, providing every shot of atmosphere and often creating genuine suspense in some hostile environments. Oh, and the zombies look good. That's a plus too, I guess.
Teen, 13 years old Written byXOLuckyCharmZxo February 27, 2014

Great show!! Lots of violence...

I'm am 13 and I love the Walking Dead!! I watch this with my parents and we love it!! It has a great storyline and very interesting.. There is a lot of violence which can be disturbing.. There is also swearing but it's not that bad.. The Walking Dead has great messages about family and great role models. Make sure to watch it!!!
Parent Written byOnly The Truth February 19, 2014

Great show with great role models.

The Walking dead is a great show. A lot of blood and gore, but what else do you expect from a show about zombies. In season 1 sherrif Rick's goal is to find his family. He has to kill people and zombies in order to protect his group as they try to find somewhere safe to raise there children and live in safety. Some kids die and so do adults, the more liked the character is the more grousem the death including characters being beheaded, stomache ripped opened, eaten alive, shot, etc. In one episode a little girl gets shot in the head. But still a great show
Teen, 13 years old Written byJghaugland February 12, 2014

The Truth

The truth is, this show is great. Riveting characters, wonderful plot. Some parents (including mine) frown upon the violence, but it is a show with zombies... so. I started watching this last year (2013) and have loved it since the pilot. Parents should be warned that the show contains some NSFW content, such as some swear words, and intense suspense scenes, along with "graphic violence". WARNNG SPOILERS AHEAD!!!! The show isn't really about the titular "Walking Dead" as it is about the people in the apocalypse. For instance, in one episode, a man is shown yelling for a ride, and the protagonist drives past him. At the end of the episode, on the way back, Rick (aforementioned protagonist) finds a bloody streak on the road. In the middle of the bloody streak is the man's backpack. Rick picks it up and drives away. I could reference episode after episode, but I won't. Children will find role models, and even some positive messages, such as family, and having to adapt to a horrible situation. Even though Rick left that man to die, it was for the people he cared about. Rick is not a bad man, he just had to make sacrifices for his family.
Teen, 13 years old Written byThe Bloody Sadist February 11, 2014

Bloody Awesome *wink wink*

I absolutely love this show. In my opinion the first season was slightly boring to me and I got to admit, I stopped watching for a while but then I started watching season 2 and that was when the real stuff finally begins I'm really hooked onto this show but I got to admit that this is not one for a person that's easily scared. I absolutely love the violence and blood in here and i think the makeup is phenomenal but I'm pretty sure that it's not for people with weak stomachs. There are several times where they rip open a walker (zombies) belly to see whats inside and the details were incredibly graphic. I showed some of my friends and they were really scared. There is a bit of swearing with words like B****, A**hole, S*** but I don't really mind. Personally i swear myself quite a lot and it's normal language for me so it isn't a big deal. There is also sexual content where the characters engage in sexual intercourse. It's not graphic and no nudity is shown but it is heavily implied and shows people making out furiously. This show is most definitely not for everyone but for those who can handle it and loves it, then that's great.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMaddie Smith February 8, 2014

Know your kid

It is quite gorey but if your kid is okay watching that stuff it's fine. It is very intense. Sex really isn't an issue... Although the overall review says it kind of is, all there really is is implications.
Teen, 15 years old Written byrunnerguy357 February 1, 2014

Amazing! but it is a bit gory

I am a teen, and I am here to tell you this show is amazing! I must say that there are some scenes that are bloody. In one scene, they chop up a zombies body and rob his guts all over him. It is a very artful show though.
Teen, 14 years old Written byprowojo January 29, 2014

Excellent Show

I got a younger brother who has been watching this show since he was about 7. It all depends on if you can handle violence and gore. My younger brother can handle the violence and gore. So almost anyone can handle this show but It depends if you can handle it. The only scenes we don't let him watch are the occasional scenes with sex.