All member reviews for The Wire

Realistic drama about urban crime is not for kids.

NOT FOR KIDS

Learning(i)

Parent of a 10 year old Written byyuigy March 1, 2013

A masterpiece but definitely not for children.

I think this is possibly the best show ever created for TV or film. It is incredibly real depiction of the industrial decay that effects many manufacturing cities and serves as an excellent metaphor for the class inequities in our country. However, I would not recommend it for children under 16. If your 16 year old or teen has a high level of sophistication then it would provide a great learning opportunity and discussion material about drugs, crime, and poverty. My son is 10 and I am looking forward to having such a discussion when he is older.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bykcgunesq December 16, 2011

6 out of 5 Stars - but not for children

I won't offer a long review, as there are many elsewhere praising the outstanding series. The Wire is quite possibly the best television series (albeit pay television) ever made. That said, it is definitely not for all but the oldest, suitably mature children. The primary problem for children between roughly 12 and 16 is the occasional graphic (R-rated) sex. The second major issue for young teens, is that this series presents really complex social problems while recognizing/implying that no good solutions exist.
Adult Written byBalloutkid November 14, 2011

Amazing

Growing up and going to High school in Baltimore City when this show premiered it was inescapable. I did not immediately realize it at the time but this show taught me more than any college sociology class could ever dream. I have never witnessed a more realistic portrayal of the marginalized sub-cultures existent in modern urban America. The Wire provides an unwavering illustration of the fractured social, political and economic America paradigm. Forcing us all to challenge our moral perception of conventional teachings, by introducing us to ourselves. This amazing piece of cinematic beauty presents the truth behind our condition, that we are all corrupted, and though austere as the message may seem, the Wire gratifies through the liberation of cultural inhibition. Crime, tragedy, death, pain, sorrow; are as real and unavoidable as happiness, or ecstasy. And it is these elements of life that are reflective in everything we do, create, or provide. The Wire could not have captured this axiom more perfectly. A must watch for all.
Adult Written bynicks2 January 4, 2015

Adult Written byNathan009 November 13, 2014

Good, but for mature audience

The series overall is amazing but only for mature audience. there are many scenes of violence and some quite explicit sex.
Teen, 14 years old Written byRyan Peter May 26, 2014

I'm pretty sure basically every review I've ever written for CSM was a joke, but I'm angry about this. First off I watched this when I was 12, and it's still my favorite. What do you mean "No positive messages or role models"? Omar may be a robber, but he robs drug dealers and gives to those who need. D'Angel may have started out bad but he came to regret what his life had become, and tried to change. Wallace tried to leave the life he had been brought into, but was overcome by the desire to live a life he believed to be normal. The police are portrayed badly because sometimes they are! They're given too much power and they abuse it by accident. McNulty and that one dude with the hair (I don't learn their names if any of them could die,) both want nothing but justice and have become seemingly terrible people simply because they don't want to become immoral. The list goes on, and if you don't get it, don't watch it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byWalter Kovacs May 4, 2014