All member reviews for Tom and Jerry

Cat and mouse face off in classic (but violent) cartoon.

Parent Written byGlass-Cheshire May 27, 2011

Lighten up, geez

The more I browse this site, the more I see parents worrying too mcuh. "They solve their problems with violence!" Oh boo hoo. Let your kids have fun. I'm not hitting people with pans for the fun of it, and I loved this show when I was little. And kids are going to try to do it by fighting anyway. You ALSO forget that Tom and Jerry often make up at some point."BUT THEY SMOKE" and they almost always get sick afterwards from taking too much. Your kid is not dumb enough to pick up an actual cigar, light it, and smoke it, unless they see you doing it and learn how. And in such a case, you SHOULD'VE TAUGHT YOUR KID NOT TO DO IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. Make sure your child understands what they do wrong, and make sure they understand it's a cartoon. I really don't think you're giving your kids enough credit. They're not that dumb, and you can't protect them from every little knick and scrape to their body or mind. And from personal experience, the harder you try to do it, the farther your kids get later. I had issues with my grandmother recently because it suddenly dawned on me that she kept me inside my whole life, so I never learned how to play with other kids, I'd never played any games outside, and I'd never played in my own yard without long pants and a sweat shirt on. Whatever happened to kids having fun, anyway? AND WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE FUN OF ANIMATION?
Adult Written byrl_ovalle May 30, 2011

Not as bad as people make it out to be

Yes, Tom and Jerry has quite a bit of animated violence. I'm 26 and I grew up on shows like Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes. Now, I never felt the compulsion to hit my younger brother in the head with a frying pan...mainly because I knew it was wrong and also because I knew I would get in a world of trouble for it. T&J is all animated so the violence isn't "real." Yes, kids are imitators, but as long as parents aren't using the TV to babysit their kids and parents actually discipline kids, then the animated violence shouldn't be a problem. Long story short, teach the kids the difference between real and make believe and everything will be ok.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDominicboo1 June 30, 2011

Violent But Classic Cartoons

Tom and Jerry cartoons are very funny, but often violent. In almost every cartoon (with very few exceptions) they're fighting. Jerry doesn't try to escape Tom like Tweety tries to escape Slyvester, but tries to hurt the cat for fun. My main choice for giving this 5+ is that the characters smoke occasionaly, but you hopefully taught your kids from the time they understood what smoking was that they should never do it. I suggest if you have not take an example in Texas Tom where Tom smokes and say" We don't smoke like Tom."
Teen, 13 years old Written byIGotTheMagic May 5, 2011

A fun for everyone classic cartoon

Family friendly classic for just about everyone. Cartoon violence could be offensive or frightening to the very young set.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysmoonchu12 March 6, 2011

good for ages 4 and up.

funny but they use torchere tools for humor sometimes.
Parent of a 3, 5, 8, 10, and 11 year old Written bysamhighley June 11, 2010

good with a 60's twist...
Parent of a 13 year old Written byvart96 February 15, 2010

Victor's Reviwe

I think it can be fun but the're are some things parents should be caution I rate this: PG for mild cartoon violence and mild drug reference.
Kid, 8 years old May 28, 2015

Great but actually has constant extreme brutal violence.

My rating:R for strong gruesome/shocking/graphic violence.
Adult Written byLowe's man February 21, 2015

a classic

The constant violence and the repetitiveness of the plot may make this confusing and questionable for preschoolers, but it'll do a number of good things for school-age children. First, it'll introduce them to classical music (beautiful and timely executed, might I add). Second, it'll give them an appreciation for cartoons made at an earlier time. Third, since Tom always provokes the fights, and yet since Jerry usually outsmarts Tom, kids are taught that the one who provokes fights will usually lose. Last, but certainly not least, it's entertaining. School-age children will enjoy this. As for the smoking, parents will want to tell their children that the dangers of smoking weren't known at the time and that smoking was seen by many back then as social.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKmfan97 January 17, 2015

words cannot describe how much I love this show.

I'm 14 and I've been a big Tom and Jerry fan since I was real little. Sure it is a violent cartoon but the violence is done in a comedic way nothing like a show like family guy. I also watched the movie in 3rd grade and I thought it was awesome not really as good as the show though. Anyway this show is just absolutely amazing and is suitable for 5 and over.
Parent of a 3 and 8 year old Written byfrank never gives up August 30, 2014

3 and up is fine

I think some parents worry a bit too much...don't forget that it's up to us to explain to them that it's just cartoons not reality. .In one ep. U see the cat smoking too much but then he gets sick...that's a clue for u to intervene and x plain the situations. ..even at 3 years old kids r smart enough to know more than we think...my 3 year old loves it and knows not to copy the fighting that it's all just fun and make believe
Kid, 11 years old July 30, 2014

Best cartoon to grow up with now.

This show has the best sense of humor! And, its a good way for the kids that want to play blood and gore video games like Mortal Kombat, to be entertained appropriately. I grew up with it, and people always tell me I have a good sense of humor. And better yet, Itchy and Scratchy may scare you about how its like Tom and Jerry, but that's not true!
Teen, 13 years old Written bychocoluv June 19, 2014

Cat vs Mouse in a Cartoon!

Cartoons back in the 1940s used imagination of what it would be like if animals fought each other. Tom and Jerry was one of those cartoons. Cartoons these days don't really do this anymore, but that doesn't make them "terrible". Tom and Jerry is one of the very few 40s cartoons that I'm able to see these days. I think that the older Tom and Jerry cartoons are the best! Who cares if it has too much violence?
Kid, 10 years old February 5, 2014

OK...

Good TV Show but can't that stupid cat get the mouse for once?
Kid, 10 years old January 8, 2014

Hilarious!

It's a really good show! They're is some violence, and sometimes Jerry cuts Tom in half,without blood or gore.It's funny though,and makes a great family show!
Parent of a 2 and 7 year old Written byYvonne M December 13, 2013

Tom & Jerry: an enduring classic that still entertains 70 years later

I watched T&J as a child, and just recently introduced it to my seven-year-old. I have never seen him laugh so hard at anything , ever before! Sure, it has no educational value whatsoever, but for pure, silly entertainment, it's wonderful. The original toons from the 1940s and 50s have gorgeous animation, and the orchestration that accompanies the pieces is amazing. The violence inherent to Tom and Jerry may deter some, but I think it's much easier to separate from real-life when it's a cat and mouse, rather than the creatures or robots you find fighting in today's animated series.
Kid, 7 years old August 9, 2013

for kids and adults very good

my favorite show when i was 5 but its ok has some violence funny and very good let your kids watch it its not that friendly but appropriate
Teen, 16 years old Written bymusicforver July 25, 2013