Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Trinkets

Sensitive teen shoplifting drama has sex, crime, friendship.

Adult Written byAscend87 June 17, 2019

Great! But one thing is bothering me. Does anyone else feel weird about the age gaps?

I was totally fine with the challenging topics that this show brings up. Seeing domestic violence if it is not gratuitous can be helpful to start conversations, and prevent it from happening. I felt that this show did a really good job at showing that people can become empowered when bad things happen to them. Abuse and trauma do not define people but they can sometimes cause a shift, or draw something out.

I was very impressed with the sex positivity, and use of consent and safe sex regularly. The characters are teenagers facing the greatest challenges of their lives thus far, and this show displays it with grit and honesty. Things are dirty, and messy, and do not make sense at that age and this show expresses that well. I was pleased with the diverse cast, and demographics represented. Overall this series did a very good job at showing the struggle of being a teen in a positive light, that can allow for open dialogue about challenging topics. These things are the most important things we should be talking to our kids about. The main challenging topics include: Public shaming, sexual identity, domestic violence, adultery, emotional blockage, or block out, peer pressure, social isolation, and societal expectations or roles, trauma, lose, grief, consent, standing up for whats right (nice punch!) and many more.

The thing I had a major problem with was 2 people who are obviously processing trauma and abuse are preyed upon by people that are older, and in a position of authority. They may not be their boss, or teacher, but idealization, and experience can create a power dynamic, and can lead impressionable teens to do many things. I do not think that all age differences are bad, or maniacal, but I was disturbed that it was never discussed. If a 20 something bartender, or a rockstar is hooking up with a 17 year old teen processing trauma, they better have a conversation about power dynamics. I know they did a good job at making those 2 adult characters not seem like they were praying on the weak, but that is why it disturbed me so much. If the writers are not intending to express a message by revealing that these 2 adults are taking advantage of these teens then I am upset that they did not spend more time vetting them by displaying more open honest direct communication. We will see if they remedy this with a second season.

Oh and remember to talk to your kids, but most important hear, and witness them. I didn't mention it earlier but on of the most difficult things about this show is watching Elodie, and her family interact. She isn't talking much but she is expressing a lot. It is difficult to witness a child go through so much and her new parents see so little. All she really wanted was to feel safe, loved, and seen.

Adult Written byKassah June 18, 2019

A bingeworthy teen watch

I think it’s nice easy light watch that deals with lots of mature subjects but shows consequences and shows girl power and girls getting along instead of tearing others down

Adult Written byTrusty June 15, 2019

Great YA show

Very good story telling and moves at a very good pace. Episodes include many topics seen and experienced by our teenage population so don’t try to hide this show from your teenage children but view it with them or let them view it but definitely have healthy discussions about the stories presented and come to a good understanding with your girl or boy teenager(s) on how to properly handle situations. Give your children the time and choices they need to be aware of how teenage life can be and the peer pressure and how best to be prepared to deal with these issues. Viewed and then discussed promptly and properly can give your children the knowledge they need to grow and have a clear path to handle themselves when you the parent is not around.

Adult Written byDoris Day June 14, 2019

Too Provative

High school students having sex, gay sex, steeling and getting away with it. What the heck is NETFLIX creating such obsurb movies where kids are watching this crap, thinking. all of this junk they see is okay for them. ZERO STARS.... Total thumbs down for anyone!!!