All member reviews for Uncle Grandpa

Bizarre 'toon gets laughs with absurdity, gross-out humor.

Adult Written byMattRa January 20, 2014

Long Descriptive Explanation of Content

Uncle Grandpa is a show with the style of insanity and ridiculousness, creating its humor. It is not ridiculous to the point where it is just an insane series of colors and shapes, attempting to amuse. It still has characters and tells stories with them; it’s just that they are not realistic. The show still tells interesting stories with their characterizations. I have noticed that it actually takes a lot of notice and pre-awareness on the part of the viewer to find the show appreciate able. The show does just seem random, but there is more than just Uncle Grandpa and impossible insanity. Uncle Grandpa is the main character, is the Uncle and Grandpa of everyone in the universe, and is a magical being who goes around and helps people. That is the extent of the explanation given on this, and it is taken as premise for the rest of the show. He is magical in the sense that he follows a completely ridiculous and non realistic set of rules for reality, such as duplicating himself, elastic arms, and teleportation. Thematically, his magical-ness is to take advantage of being a cartoon character, resulting in humorous, albeit unrealistic, situations and approaches to problems. The show very much has this unreal nature embedded into all of the adventures shown. For example, to help one kid be better at video games, Uncle Grandpa literately asks out loud for Uncle Grandpa to shrink him down and place him on the kid’s face, in order to get to his brain. At this point the camera view zooms out to a second Uncle Grandpa at a computer with a Photoshop like application, who acknowledges the first Uncle Grandpa, and edits them down to size, and drags them to the kid’s ear. Then the view returns to the first Uncle Grandpa, who tells the second to “add some lens flair” at which point such appears on screen. Again, that is the extent of explanation given on how all such was possible and the episode proceeds with Uncle Grandpa shrunken down inside the kids head. While Uncle Grandpa may seem idiot in all of this, he is actually competent in helping others, and has caring morals, but again does so through his ridiculous ways. His job of helping others is shown to be important and successful; he even journeys into danger to help a kid, saying that he hasn’t lost a kid yet. The other characters actual exist with this and the ridiculousness of Uncle Grandpa is actually noted explicitly by the others. These characters are: Belly Bag, a living phanny pack that assists Uncle Grandpa. Pizza Steve, an exaggerating cool guy living slice of pizza. Mr. Gus, the green dinosaur, is often the straight man to Uncle Grandpa, pointing out the insanity. And Giant Realistic Flying Tiger, who looks exactly as her name describes but is friendly. For example, in one episode Uncle Grandpa is incapacitated, and the others have to take his job helping people. The episode focuses on how they will do so, since only Uncle Grandpa has these magical abilities, noting the normal unrealistic nature of the show. In all of this, the show does have positive morals of friendship, helping others, being yourself, imagination, and fun. In short, I hope this description is helpful in reviewing the appropriateness of this show, in that it is descriptive of it and explains what it is. Mainly, it takes a strong awareness of detail, and like of ridiculousness to find the show entertaining, beyond just amusing colors and shapes. It also requires a comprehension of reality and the unreal, and if teaching unreal things is your concern than that would be a good reason to teach this comprehension to your children or wait until they are more intelligent/developed to appropriately expose them to this show.
Parent Written byTrueStuffMan September 2, 2013

The show is funny - for the first 4 minutes. It quickly goes down to very very immature and repetitive. The reason CN has had hits over the years is because of the balance of great story telling with humor. When you take out the story, you don't have a set audience, that will recommend and praise the show, that wants to keep coming back to the universe. Uncle Grandpa ends up being a show that will be quickly unremembered when the show goes off air.
Parent Written bybeyondreason September 26, 2013

Not supposed to like it, but I do.

Well...ok, it's very silly. But I have to say captivating. Strong moral messages delivered in a very memorable surreal style. My kids are pretty sensitive, but they find any gross moments...ironic. Uncle Granpa is the good guy.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySnoopylove87 September 3, 2013

So Stupid, It's Funny.

I've watched a couple of episodes and I admit, it's pretty dumb but it made me laugh for no reason and I hated it so much, I sort of liked it. It's not bad compared to Sanjay and Craig or Breadwinners, but it'll never be as good as the older cartoons. Mister Gus is a pretty cool character, although he might seem boring, that's what makes him so neat. The other characters kind of bore me or annoy me to death. There's an episode Mister Gus pretends to be Uncle Grandpa and there's a skit where there's no color and the main character says to "color him in". Afterwards, the screen is showed with him sloppily colored and he says to get out an "erasing hammer", in which a sound effect of glass breaking occurs, showing that the TV is "broken". Dumb humor might create some laughs, but this is not a family show.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byLuisionPinchLopans February 2, 2014

Terrible

This show is terrible there is nothing realistic in this show. The animation is so terrible even my 11 year old son hates it . Uncle Grandpa is annoying, none of the characters have any character to them.
Adult Written bysblane December 11, 2013

Ugh

It doesn't really have a point to it, there's no real plot and it teaches absolutely nothing to the viewer, it's more of an annoyance to older viewers then something I'd let a child watch.
Teen, 17 years old Written byndrwcd November 12, 2013

this is why i dont watch Cartoon Network as much as i use to

I like comedy,but the comedy in uncle grandpa is extremely lowbrow,crude and frankly not all that funny,not to mention the main character acts like a retard and the show itself is extremely pointless
Adult Written bySourGalaxy October 11, 2013

Uncle Grandpa is more of a miss than a hit

Uncle Grandpa is a new cartoon on Cartoon Network that focuses heavily on surrealism and randomness. While there is nothing too inappropriate about this cartoon, what concerns me is the quality. It feels like a rushed and bland cartoon that shows the least amount of effort possible in order to be passed off as a kids show. Trust me, this show will rot kids minds. There are better cartoons they could be watching like Phineas and Ferb or The Amazing World of Gumball. As for adults, I also suggest you stay away from this show. Uncle Grandpa treats it's audience like it's stupid, and being an adult, you will notice that this show just doesn't care.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byjeffreyc February 17, 2015

Let your kids imagination grow

With all the boring, mainstream, violent shows on TV today, Uncle Grandpa is one of the few shows where kids can grow their imagination and have fun. This show empowers kids imaginations and is what cartoons stand for! So all you liberal heli parents come at me because Uncle G rocks
Parent of a 3 and 4 year old Written byKroNos The Great June 11, 2015

Why?

Why does this cartoon exist. Its not appropriate for anyone to watch. For one his name is uncle grandpa,that's ridiculous itself. For two, he seems to be making fun of people with a mental disease. He talks to a slice of pizza, a lizard man with anger and depression issues, and a tiger who farts rainbows to fly. To add to the already bad situation he drives a white van to find kids, with a side ready robot with a 3rd leg ( sexual influence) who seems to be a malfunction like his owner. The cartoon should be banned from all children networks and possibly taking to court for its inappropriate actions. I feel bad for adults with mental disabilities who bump into this show flipping through channels. I feel like I was being made fun of. Shame on you cartoon network. Stop trying to dumb down are kids with these ridiculous cartoons...
Written byAnonymous February 9, 2014

"Hello, Uncle Steeeeve!"

A middle-aged (maybe older) man with a protruding gut, a bushy red mustache, an elongated face, bucked-teeth, glazed eyes, stubby, hairless legs, and a questionable lump on the crown of his head claims to be everyone's "uncle and grandpa". I tried to like this show, I truly did. But I learned during that period of my life that in order to favor something you can't try to favor it; you either like it or not. For me, I'm part of the latter. Before we get to the show, let's begin with the name: "Uncle Grandpa". At first glance, it sounds cute, childish, but you soon realize it's referencing incest pretty blatantly. Uncle Grandpa's behavior and mannerisms aren't really helping to make his sketchy name less sketchy. He tends to slur his words a bit, and the way he speaks is a little too much like an eight-year-old child as opposed to the middle-aged (?) man his "luxuriously thick" mustache clearly reveals him to be. He lives in a magical trailer home with a sensible lizard-man/mini-Godzilla/missing link/dinosaur (...?) an egomaniac pizza in sunglasses, a still image of a realistic tiger, and a fanny-pack with the zipper for his communicative mouth. They travel across the world, going on adventures, and assisting children far and wide. What strikes me is how their parents have no recollection of the cheeky dimwit, but the children... well, every child knows Uncle Grandpa. I always ask the question when I watch this show is why did they have to make him so... old? You wouldn't want your child befriending a seemingly elderly man claiming to be their uncle and grandpa when you have absolutely no idea who he is. It's as unsettling as if your child came up to you and said he'd like to go camping in the woods tonight because his tall and faceless friend said he'd like to have s'mores. Uncle Grandpa is not Santa Claus. If anything, he resembles Krampus more than he resembles the jolly fellow. Santa Claus does not take children on "adventures" without the children's or their parent's proper consent. I know for certain I'm exaggerating the meaning of a children's cartoon. But, really, would you want to play games with a grandpa in skin-tight lederhosen?
Kid, 10 years old December 16, 2013

you might as well not even bother watching

This is a sorry exscuse for a show sloppy animation, bad language,the violence is SO bad you might as well just let kids watch robot chicken and this is coming from a 10 year old
Educator and Parent of a 4 year old Written byJoshB 2 March 8, 2015

Excellent fantasy

I love this show and believe it stimulates creativity. The animation is bizarre and silly, but we need more of that today. It is a feel-good show that my son loves and we laugh hysterically at the Flying Tiger.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJon Hardwick March 21, 2014

Feels like a show created by stoners

This show is stupid,wacky, crazy and immature. The characters are idiotic,stupid and unlikeable (especially the title character). Everything is screwed up with this show is horrible, it makes PBS kids show look like masterpieces.
Adult Written byJEDI micah September 19, 2013

Doesn't really make sense.

At first, I was kinda excited to see this cartoon (since I LOVE cartoons!), but as I watched the first & second episodes, it didn't appeal to me as I thought it would. It's rather weird, gross, and kinda disturbing. And I don't even know how it's possible for one man to be everyone's uncle and grandpa at the same time! Cartoon Network doesn't really need this show. It has WAYYY better cartoons than this.
Kid, 10 years old September 2, 2013

Giant Realistic Flying Tiger!

Uncle Grandpa Is A Creative, Bizarre, And Funny Toon About A Person Named Uncle Grandpa.He Goes On Wild Adventures.He Has Lots Of Friends,Including A Piece Of Pizza,A Tiger,And Many More.I Think It's A Spinoff From Secret Mountain Fort Awesome.Kids Ages 8-12 Will Enjoy Uncle Grandpa's Plots,Gross Out Humor,But Parents May Not.
Teen, 13 years old Written bykajex2002 February 5, 2015

super fun

SUPER FUN
Teen, 13 years old Written byCartoonMan December 31, 2013

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING

Uncle Grandpa obviously relies on absurd and gross humor in order to get its laughs. However, it is apparent that the show is trying to hard to make kids laugh. The opening sequence is enough evidence for that. The creators of this show are sitting in their seats, laughing at how clever they think they are. The iconic catchphrase "Good morning!" is repeated so many times it loses the little humor it never had. It tries to be funny by being nonsensical, but ends up being just plain nonsensical.
Kid, 12 years old November 27, 2013

NO NO NO NO NO!!!! Just no.

This show definetly sucks to the tops! No plot, makes no sense at all!!! All the characters make no sense at all and this show barely has any audience. Cartoon Network to take it off TV and "GOOD MORNING" gets annoying and stuck in you're head. This show can do pretty bad brain damage and NO ONE, I MEAN NO ONE, should watch it, especially little kids because it is teaching you to eat you're homework (according to an episode title, Uncle Grandpa Ate My Homework. That's not a good title for a episode) In one episode, Uncle Grandpa (who is a grown man) is afraid of the dark and he is going to try to help a little girl who is also afraid of the dark. Pizza Steve can be a bad example because he thinks he's the best and he thinks he's cool and that could teach kids to think that way too and they could start to act that way to people. Regular Show is recommended instead!
Teen, 16 years old Written byTelevisedTomfoolery November 13, 2013

Analysis of Uncle Grandpa

Do you remember that CGI cartoon Nickelodeon put out a few years ago titled Fanboy and ChumChum? Compared to Uncle Grandpa, Fanboy and ChumChum is actually watchable. The plot goes that.....actually, I don't think there is much of a plot to this show. It's about an old Leprechaun-looking man with the voice of Patrick Star after a stroke and his "random" comrades on poorly-written misadventures. There are no morals and the show doesn't promote good behavior and can be seen overall as a bad influence. Uncle Grandpa tries too hard to be funny through his dialoge. The show really knows how to beat a dead horse. Uncle Grandpa, the "Good Morning" gimmick is never going to get funny, no matter how many times you say it in an episode. The animation itself is too spastic and can be disturbingly-gross at times. This is the kind of stuff you don't want your child emulating. I don't recommend this show to anyone, especially not children.