All member reviews for Vikings

Violent, mature drama has amiable, legendary hero.

Adult Written byluvbunni86 March 14, 2013

More sexual scenes then told.

To add to all the other sexual situations, a viking rapes a woman ( though no skin is shown its implied that isnt what the woman wants. Many scenes are shown with a man and woman physically abusing each other in between there make out moments. I thought this would be an educational show to watch considering its the history channel, but there are many things that I dont need or want children to be educated about. ( take the sex out ) and it would be a lot better.
Teen, 16 years old Written bySquatch April 2, 2013

"Vikings" IS BAD

This Common Sense Media review doesn't accurately review the show because it is only based on the 1st episode. The review doesn't add the fact that their are multiple scenes of rape (some attempted and some successful). The main character can be a postive influence but he like many other characters in the show disrespect the culture of other lands, like Christianity in England. This is likely due to the creator's desire to accurately display the vikings. Few scenes with some sort of strong drink. Lots of violence in this show during fight scenes. It's a good show for adults, but it's not for kids due to sexual content and violence.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHeq073198 March 31, 2013

I love it

I really really like this show. And honestly, it's a show about the Vikings, who are notorious for being gruesome. I am not a squeamish person, at all, so honestly I haven't even cringed at the blood. Did you honestly think this was going to be a family show? The "disrespect" towards other cultures is an accurate depiction of Vikings' relationships with other civilizations. There are constant hints at the imminent conversion to Christianity this culture faced. The monk was interrogated by a Viking priest, where he is asked three times to deny his faith. Now even the least educated in the Christian faith will understand the symbolism there. I think the amount of sex and violence is accurate to what the Viking society was actually like, and being historically accurate is the point of this show isn't it?
Educator and Parent Written byteachyoung April 14, 2013

Parental Guidance Suggested and permission given to keep teacher out of trouble. 16 and up.

I don't have kids but I do teach. For better or worse most of today's kid are sexaully aware more so than what we would have could we control it. My feelings are that this show is probably okay for your average high school history class maybe at about junior year or possibly sophmore year depending on the kids and depending on how conservative the area and the district. Biggest challenge with history is bringing it to life and much more so with today's generation who think the world was made the day they were born and it chiefly consists of their facebook page. Now when you want to teach the. That there was a world before they were born and outside of facebook the Vikings does it. I had a 6 th grader ask me one day "Why didn't the Indians grab some AKs" when the conquitadores were being cruel to to them. I had a high schooler ask me if I was in WW II when I was 38 back in 98. You need every tool and every trick you can get to bring this generation out of its shell. Yes ideally a lot of the intimate scenes could be taken out but the only solution I could think of now is to send permission slips home and let the parents decide. Also I wouldn't show it to any kid below sophmore or maybe junior year. The biggest issue I have with the show is that it gives a sympathetic view toppeople that were Invaders, commiting rape, plunder, and pillage when they could balance it out by making a show about Alfred the Great who sucessfully fought them off or even something along the lines of King Arthur when he was fighting Saxon invaders who later become tame and themselves face the Vikings. Anytime you tell the story from the point of view of the aggessor or the conqueor something is missing from your telling.Look at the story of the US and its own conquests and colonizing.
Adult Written bynancysansom@com... March 28, 2015

The Priest and his inner struggle between believing in GOD or ODON

Season Three - 2015, What a wonderful , inspiring and marvelous historical production this 3rd season and every other season, has been. How did this TV script, directors, actors and actresses and all others involved in this production come together so perfectly? Because I am an avid historical buff, especially of the Viking period, this is one of be best TV programs, on this topic that I have ever seen. The customs, boats and buildings, language, and the authentic looking dress design is out of this world, One can imagine ourselves, living in that society and in that time period. It is like being in a time machine, living in the 800's AD! Especially touching and soul felt, was the tension that the Priest bravely and humbly endures through all his suffering, between his Christian vows and the Viking Gods. These same challenge seems to flow down through the ages to the 21st century. Whether to follow God, if any, or other ways. Though there was plenty of visual war scenes, beyond that, the human tendency for following riches, greed, power, envy, and even murder for self interests follows us to this day. The Priest struggling to decide which path he will follow, and how all the other players evolve and change is a challenge that we all face. Thank you again for this wonderful Viking Series on History Channel and hope that it will continue to be produced for many more seasons to come.. N. Sansom, Ph.D., OTR
Teen, 16 years old Written bygarthinacowboyhat April 27, 2014

Great Story

I LOVE THIS SHOW! I have watched it ever since I was 13. It does have some-moments.
Parent Written byconcernedparent111 April 21, 2014

Miss the story in Vikings

The series seems to have gotten bloodier and bloodier. Where is the story of the laudable actions Ragnar takes? The crucifixion was bad enough, but I left the room before the scene during the last episode of a blood eagle torture performed on a living man. That was the end for this family. Ironically I've now had an epic battle with my 15 year old about watching this series further. I say we have and see enough violence in America without watching it for entertainment. My son, with his hormones raging, doesn't need it either. Ironic that through curtailing his view of it, violent feelings come unbidden to my home anyway,as he stormed out for a walk. This is not a series for anyone anymore because no behavior worth modeling is being learned about human history.
Adult Written bydarthsitkur March 13, 2014

awesome show

both a history show and an action packed thriller, vikings is very addicting
Teen, 16 years old Written byRustyShackleford February 18, 2014

Not as good as Rome but still really entertaining

Anyone complaining about sexual content is a hypocrite. If you are fine with the violence because of it being historically accurate then you should feel the same way about the sexual content. People have always had sex and the sex in Vikings is not gratuitous or really that graphic. If you want to see a show with unneeded sex and nudity watch Game of thrones and see if you feel the same way about Vikings. The show itself is an entertaining adventure with the legendary Ragnar Lodbrok at the helm and is full of action and intrigue that most teenagers will be able to enjoy. It's not as good as The borgias or Rome but the show is still worth a watch if you like historical fiction