Parent of a 8, 10, and 14 year old Written byIamASafeOne April 3, 2013

Winx

I don't watch this myself, but for the kids.. It only appeals to my 8 year old, my 14 year old is mature and MALE. My 10 year old thinks it's too girly. I saw a little bit, barely an episode, and it looked harmless, the fairies looked cute, and there wasn't too much gore, It's really teens with fairy wings, but I like the animation and those adorable pets, although there is some really scary wand fights and witches, but hey, My 8 year old likes it, there's no sneaky adult humor and it's for girls who LOVE fairies. In the transformation, they do censor the private parts, which I think deserves the lips, there is mentions of boyfriends, but it's all thought out, not too long, and appealing, 3 stars...
Parent Written bymomistheword July 22, 2011

eh

This show is somewhat good for my 6 year old. But i did say SOMEWHAT. Its about magic and faries wich most girls love pretending to be and it a good show to entertain you while in the morning and u just woke up(talking about my 6 year old). but the problem is it might be to violent for little kids. Not kids say 8 and up but deffinately 6 and under. Also those girls dress up to sexy for little kids. i know it anime and cartoons but seriously a high belly shirt,high heels short shorts and legs and boobs partly shoqing? way to inappropriate for my household. and the excesive(excuse my spelling) use of makeup and boyfriends is a big no to. don't watch it please. its somewhat good but not really
Parent Written byJules G. August 8, 2016

Not Appropriate for Healthy Mental Development

From the viewpoint of someone studying Psychology: Children can definitely understand the difference in reality and TV. However, they still absorb everything subconsciously and what they absorb shape their character, opinions, behavior, etc. A show with scantily clad fairies kissing boyfriends and having arranged marriages, scary monsters, not-so-great conversations, etcetera is definitely not going to help your child's development. Do you want little boys who respect women while still admiring the female body, or do you want little boys touching little girls in daycare way too early? Do you want little girls with a positive body image, or do you want little girls that feel the need to dress provocatively, be entirely too skinny, have big boobies and butt, cake on makeup, and begin sexual behavior before they even understand what being a sexual creature is all about? I think we all know the answer... long story short, this show is horrible for a child's mental development and I would give it "0" stars if that were a choice. For goodness sakes, this is NICK JR! A station geared towards 2-6 year olds! Nick should take this show off the air, or they're going to find many parents banning Nick Jr from their household.
Educator and Parent Written bySim_092 June 3, 2016

Winx is girl-power!

If people think Winx Club is a sexist show, they stop before appearances. Ok, the Winx girls have an execessively female body. It's so execessive to not seem true. Well, children can distinguish fact from fiction! They know that's simply a style for character design. Anorexia has nothing to do with this cartoon. The protagonists aren't anorexics: in many episodes we can see that they eat and eat too much! Winx Club is a positive model for young girls: the Winx are strong , determinated, brave and generous girls! In fact, they don't need any man to save themselves; they can count on themselves; they often save the boys! A group of girls who help each other thanks to the value of friendship.
Educator and Parent Written bykristinw3 February 12, 2016

Watch out first.

Currently this runs in Nick Jr. My 4 year old is terrified of it. As soon as the music starts she runs out of the room and won't return until it is off the screen. It is definately not appropriate for the Nick Jr crowd. It is geared toward pre teen girls although, personally, I see no real redeeming quality in the show. The fairies are highly sexualized.
Parent Written byMiss8707missy January 12, 2016

Bad image for children

Not only are these characters stick thin with colored hair and plastered make up, but the short skirts and belly shirts are extremely inappropriate. I can not believe this show is on Nick Jr.
Adult Written bymeganr3 February 16, 2015

Seasons 1-3 are much better than recent seasons

The main message of Winx Club is friendship and teamwork. Sadly in recent seasons it's been overshadowed by poor writing. The body image thing is quite minor, it's an art style. If your kids aren't smart enough to figure out that no one can be that skinny, then they shouldn't watch it. Also, the episode where the reviewer is claiming that she heard a swear word- Breaking the Mark/ mask Sky was saying Witch. It was on Nick and Nick Canada and I've watched it quite a few times with my kids. There is no swearing. The show has gone downhill though since the 4th season had their band arc. I would recommend watching the first four seasons and the first movie. But the main message is still teamwork and girl power. Aside from horrible writing and animation of late, I haven't seen anything objectionable. I have no idea where that reviewer thinks she heard Sky saying the 'b' word. He called them both Witches because Diaspro had him under a spell, but it wasn't the other word. SMH. Just stick with seasons one through three and the first movie.
Adult Written byBeckstar October 31, 2011

wonderful show

The programme is great. I first watched it when I was 13. Please note: I am reviewing the OLD English Winx Club, not the new Nick one they have created. The only bit of concern you may want to note is that the girls wear extremely short skirts and always bear their midriffs in everything they wear, even in fairy form (except Tecna who wears a outfit that covers her all over. UNTIL she gets her enchantix form and she bears her stomach). The Blonde girl, 'Stella' is also very shallow and obsessed with looks and beauty and not particularly 'smart' and she doesn't study and is not into school. The girls also get boyfriends and they call each other 'hunny' 'babe' and stuff like that. Which I personally don't think should've been on a kids show, but that's just me. It also has kissing, which is very mild. The show has generally a good message, but only with the lead girl 'Bloom' as she is trying to 'find herself', which could be seen as a 'good role model', but I personally don't think it is too much. She believes in herself and earns her wings and also later on her enchantix. Flora also learns to be more 'forward' as she is ultra-shy and reserved with guys. As the first season goes on it gets a tad more violent, but the second season is way more violent than the first. It has more fight scenes and evil characters. Which I think are quite intense for a kids show. The third season is alright. The fourth season is very mild in my opinion and has a nice plot of the girls trying to make earth believe in fairies. There is violence, but it's incredibly mild, I was very surprised. MUCH MUCH more milder than the other seasons. It also has a much more 'fun' vibe with the girls owning a store and the animation has changed a lot. Also, their voices are different (4KIDZ chose not to dub this season). I didn't like season 4 at first, but It was very enjoyable. If you are not into CGI, you will not like the new season 5 coming out in the end of 2012 which has the new 'NICK' voices, not Rai and definitely not 4KIDZ (they stopped at season 3!) and will feature lots of CGI scenes. Winx did use CGI in the previous seasons, but that was only for the scenes of the school from the outside. Everything is becoming CGI these days which is disappointing. I will watch it, but It just wont be the same! And yes, the girls are very thin and they don't have realistic looking bodies. But even the Bratz films/dolls and Barbie films/dolls show very thin girls. I didn't think too much of it when I started watching it. I was too concerned on the magic and fun of it all.
Adult Written bybrenaew April 9, 2008
Parent Written byded e. January 2, 2017

Great For Kids

Each episode has a lesson to teach kids about kindness, loyalty, bravery, etc. It also has fairy tale creatures that younger kids will enjoy. I have watched every episode with my daughter when she was 6, and she loved it.
Adult Written byJinx M. December 10, 2016

I grew up watching Winx Club

I started watching this show when it came out, I was around 5 years old back then. My parents were happy that I found and liked this show. My mother even went to "Rainbow Magic Land" with me and my brother. I started losing interest around 14 or 15 years, but in all that time I never wore revealing clothes and never was anorexic. I simply didn't care about what they wore or looked like. Winx Club actually taught me that I'm beautiful when I'm happy and enjoy live with my friends. By the way, Barbie, Bratz, Monster High or other similar shows/dolls aren't any different.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byalienzx June 24, 2016

Not appropriate for Nick Jr in the morning!

I agree with other parents on the skimpy clothing, lack of educational value, relationship drama and innapropriate language. Really disappointed to see this on Nick Jr and I let them know it.
Parent of a 2, 4, 8, 10, 14, 14, 14, and 17 year old Written byparentof7 March 2, 2015

14 and up for a reason

it does have girls that wear skimpy clothing right
Parent Written bybobbytherobert November 1, 2013

awesome

It is a great show. The Winx are a little skinny and wear clothes that reveal their belly buttons, though.
Parent Written byAngelistic-101 August 28, 2013

It's okay, but it could do without the skimpy outfits

There's something about this show that I'm so drawn to. Now normally I'm not all for fantasy and magic and all that stuff, but Winx Club is an exception. It takes you on a magical journey and it is just an amazing story all around. I love the storyline and characters. The only thing that I dislike about the show however, is the oversexualization of the female characters. Their clothing (or lack of) is quite disturbing. A lot of the times, the main heroines are clad in skimpy, sexy outfits that you probably wouldn't want your young daughter to wear. This gives the impression that heroines must be sexy looking in order to be taken seriously, and that a woman's worth must rely solely on her looks. This show doesn't help to teach young girls that their intellect and education is far more important than their appearance, it just follows stereotypes. It also focuses a little too much on relationship statues and all that stuff. Sure there's nothing wrong with having a love interest, but the way these characters go about it is all wrong. But all that negativity aside, you gotta give props to these characters for teaching kids the importance of teamwork and friendship. These heroines work as a team and are always there for each other. That is a very important lesson for kids.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byoctoberkatie May 17, 2011

The Winx Review

It is a good show except some parts where they do kinda scare u too death
Adult Written bymisuspotts April 9, 2008