All member reviews for WordGirl

Brainy heroine uses vocab to outwit bad guys.

Parent Written bysquili January 10, 2011

Horrible Show

I hate this show. While it's nice to see a tough girl in the lead role there is just too much emphasis bad guys. It's also incredibly sassy. My 5 yr old daughter has been telling us to 'Scram!' a lot lately, and she got it from Word Girl. Not a show I plan on letting her watch anymore.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bydz302 January 26, 2011

Great for kids vocabulary

My 5 year old has watched word girl since she was 3. She loves it, and I see nothing but positives. Keep up the good work.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFurrtwo June 13, 2010

Perfect for anyone looking for good animation, humor, and word lessons

I'm thirteen years old. I'm at the age to be watching TeenNick and all its sitcoms - iCarly, Degrassi, Big Time Rush, and What I like about you. And yet, I choose to watch a cartoon aimed for children 6-8. Why? For one thing, WordGirl is much, much more engrossing than other children's cartoons. It doesn't "talk down" to kids, the information learned is actually something they'll use, the animation is adorable, and plus, it has HUMOR. Actual HUMOR. I find myself laughing at most of the jokes on the show. And there are some jokes that only "the older crowd" would get. Also, you know a children's show is good when even L can learn something from it. I learned the words "lackadaisical", "dote", and "curmudgeon", just to name a few. My siblings and I all look forward to 4:30 every weekday when WordGirl comes on around here. Every one of us enjoy WordGirl. Also, for a person with my personality, this cartoon is a haven simply because it has so much room for backstories! I'm the type of person who writes fanfiction and is always over-analyzing. I love WordGirl because I can find lots of backstory room, e.g. how WordGirl came to earth, the history of Lexicon, etcetera etcetera. Oh yes, and I love the shipping possibilities. The silly, grade school crushes are one of the highlights of the show. I adore pairing wordGirl with my favorite character, the evil boy genius, Tobey B-)
Teen, 14 years old Written bydagnytheartist January 18, 2011

I watch this show with my little brother a lot, and I think it's good! Violence? There's almost no violence at all! The only time Wordgirl does more than tie the person up and send him to jail is when she's fighting Tobey's robots. She'll completely destroy them, and Tobey's mom will pull him away by the ear. It's funny! This show doesn't have annoying songs on it, or talk to YOU! It has enough little kid humor and big kid humor, so it attracts the whole family. They never say bad words or show blood or gross stuff, and they always make words a priority. To "Love2" who wrote the short review saying "the show is to vilont for a learning show. and having crushes????????? not apropreat!" you spelled both "violent" and appropriate" wrong. Sorry to be a grammar cop but if you're going to take the time to put up a review about a show called WORDGIRL, you should've atleast not spelled such simple words wrong. Wordgirl would be ashamed. The crushes, by the way, are the one Wordgirl has on Scoops and the one Tobey has on Wordgirl. They don't go any further than crushes and little kids aren't going to understand them, so why make a big deal? Older kids enjoy watching a show with some "romance" (or as close as ten year olds trying to get their crushes' attention is to romance), and it's still appropriate! No dating whatsoever. Hope this review was helpful.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byDaddy Cares October 5, 2010

Child Identifies Race Issue

Hi, Parents. My daughter is age 4. She pointed out to me that almost everytime the "brown boy" gives an answer on Can I Have A Word, he gets it wrong. She identifies with the "brown boy" because he is the same color as she. But she does not want to be classified with someone that's almost always wrong. After she pointed this out to me I took a closer look, and suprisingly noticed that what she discovered is true. Unfortunately, the cartoons are already fixed and changing this is not easy, so I have decided not to let my African American daughter view this show, which is not a big loss since the show also promotes violence...
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bysRicker March 26, 2010

Fun and educational

We have been watching Word Girl for a while now and my children's vocabulary has improved dramatically. They can't wait to what "cool new words" they can learn next! I couldn't believe my ears when my 7 year old asked to go somewhere and we couldn't go he told me how "crestfallen" he was feeling!!! Then he gave me the definition because he didn't think I understood him!! I was taken aback to say the least, but that is something any parent would be proud of.
Teen, 15 years old Written byVoracious Reader March 8, 2009

Believe it or Not

Believe it or not, this show is hillarious and funny. It's great to watch just for fun, even if you're not 5 years old. I'm 15. XD
Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

Howlingly Funny and Educational Show gor Kids

WORLD GIRL is a fun show for all. It teaches kids vocabulary while being engaging and funny for even adults. No objectionable content, only the occasional "bang" or "whoosh" slapstick and animated superhero violence. Highly recommended.
Parent Written bykimamb March 22, 2012

Mom of 10 year old

I think some of you are being too critical. This is a great show. There's no punching or hitting other people. So there's elementary school-like crushes. The main charater is 10 or 11, it's natural for kids of that age range to be interested in things like the opposite gender. It teaches words, alot I'm learning also and I'm 40. My daughter who's 10, is mentally challenged so she's learning as well as I am. And there are alot of jokes only people at my age will understand. So, it may not be for kids under 2 or 3, but it's still a very good show.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bypkz23 June 6, 2010

Cooler than Little Bear but still appropriate for wee ones

Absolutely love this show! My four-year-old can't get enough and thinks Word Girl is the coolest super hero around. Positive in all the right ways but still really entertaining.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byBeatriz Azevedo December 12, 2009

Not educational and not appropriate for kids under 7

Hate it. Watched it attentively 3 times and browsed at it several other times. The supposedly educational content is practically non-existent - one or two few new words per episode for a lot of stressfull situations with yelling characters! It is practically the same kind of animations like Pokemon, Ben 10 and these other super heroes fighting the evil; I don't see why it was ever sold as educational or appropriate for pre-school.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 28, 2009

this show is to.....

Parent of a 4 and 5 year old Written bypkbos April 9, 2008

Great brainfood for kids who love superheros

Of all the great new PBS shows, both my boys love this one best. At 4.5 & 5.5 yrs old, the fact that Wordgirl beats the bad guys has them totally hooked. They don't even realize they're learning vocabulary. Fantastic show, wish it was on more often.
Teen, 16 years old Written byndrwcd November 17, 2012

kids + superheros don`t mix

the good guys are annoying especially the main character wordgirl,the bad guys are extremely corny,there`s no action at all whatsoever,and each episode feels like an hour long instead of 15 minutes and that`s at best
Parent Written byContikiCarrie February 17, 2012

Not for us

I've watched several episodes in an attempt to determine if the sassy and disrespectful behavior (esp. toward the adults!) was a one-off. Unfortunately, it wasn't. I wouldn't allow my children to watch this at any age, but my husband and I are relatively conservative when it comes to TV viewing and the messages we choose to expose our children to (aged 4 and 5). Super Why, National Geographic, Sesame Street, and Dinosaur Train top our list when looking for TV. Perhaps we parents of little ones are only trying to protect their innocence a little longer... you can't "un-expose" children to ideas (such as sassing your parents, acting self-righteous b/c you're right and someone else is wrong, etc.) As they enter kindergarten and grade school I know that they will experience situations with children and families that make different choices than we do, but hope that by presenting media that is consistent with our rules and the types of behavior that we expect that they will have the strength of character and enough of a fledgling moral compass to negotiate those situations with self-confidence, empathy and good judgement.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byAshleyw86 September 5, 2011

Not for my child

I let my five year old watch this show, then sat and watched it with her one day. After that I don't let her watch it anymore. I think there's too much violence and overall negative feel to the show. I do not agree that the good of the vocabulary outweighs the negative of the violence. All that said, I may give it another try though. Just to be sure.
Parent Written bymama2011 May 6, 2011

Totally Disappointed! You would think a title like "WordGirl" would be a positive show for young kids. I don't like how they "Gram" as the bad person (when we have teaching respect to elders) and using "words" such as idoit. Don't you think they get enough bad exposure that you could make a positive show?
Kid, 12 years old October 8, 2009

Favorite show, Builds great learning skills

Excellent show. Although my parents are a little iffy about it, (They don't like the fact that WordGirl lies all the time to protect her secret identity) I think its awesome. So fun and I find myself repeating the vocabulary maybe a little too much, enough to annoy my parents.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bydgjd August 12, 2010

Sophisticated and silly

This show is nice bridge out of toddler/preschooler viewing and into lower elementary. It has what young kids might consider scary, which is exactly what my 6 year old is looking for.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bySarahS January 8, 2010

Not bad. Does deal with interesting issues. What spoils the show for me is the fact that it tries to cater so heavily to parents sense of humor. Focus on kids, forget about being "smart" so as to keep parents amused.