Card game-turned-TV show for gradeschoolers.

Parent of a 3 year old Written byjojovonjo July 16, 2011

Research before reviewing

This show is quite good. It came out long before the card game and i wish that the people who write reviews on this site would have their facts strait before posting on this website
Adult Written bylanekintigh April 9, 2008

Unhappy monsters

My review of Yu-Gi-Oh TV is slanted by the artwork I find on the cards. Although I permit my son Jack, age 6, to own Pokemon and a number of other cards of this type, I am very concerned at the tone of the artwork found in Yu-Gi-Oh, and I don't let him watch the show. Most of the monsters are simply evil and repulsive, and shockingly so compared to other game cards in the marketplace. They just seem to me to have been created by a depraved mind, and I won't allow my son to play with them. I am interested in hearing from other parents who feel the same (or differently!) Give me a reality check: have I over-reacted? Lane Kintigh, a parent in Chicago area.
Adult Written by003.5 February 5, 2010

This show's time has come and gone.

People claimed this would be the next Pokemon. It actually never once exceeded Pokemon in popularity. Now that Kazuki Takahashi is gutting the franchise and killing off its remaining fanbase, the only joy I find is in the YouTube abridged version by LittleKuriboh.
Teen, 17 years old Written byshady_atem April 9, 2008

japanese and English versions very different

The rating I gave on YuGiOh is based on the real Japanese version so I put BIG ISSUE on most of the pole. YuGiOh was created by Kazuki Takahashi and it became anime in 1996. YuGiOh was originally intended for older youth of about 13yrs & up. All the other reviews I read seem to be based on the English dub version. It's the edited version of YuGiOh made for kids. All the sex, violence, blood, killing is edited out. In Japan it wouldn't be recommended that kids watch it. I'm sorry but i just had to let kids and parents know that. Although it's not the real version I think the EDITED YuGiOh is appropriate for children 8yrs-up. It's a great, good quality anime show and it's meaning is about freindship and the loyalty between friends which is very important for children to know. Plus the card game is cool and teaches useful skills such as math(calculating monster damage) for example. The unedited Japanese version is NOT meant for kids at all. I am a HUGE fan of the show, magna and movies!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byMoviefreak124 November 4, 2009

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The series was excellent and awesome and should have gone to the End.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBlueDragonMaster98 June 5, 2010

4kids is very bad at dubbing

4kids messed Yu-Gi-Oh! up very bad. The Japanese version is better and more adult (but barely). Even so, it makes more sense than the 4kids garbage.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytecnafan May 3, 2015

HEK YA

I LOVE THIS SHOW IT HAS MANY LIFE LESSONS LIKE NEVER GIVE UP, FRIEDNSHIP AND HAS A AWESOME STORY LINE, THIS YU-GI-OH IS BETTER THEN THE NEW VERSION EVEN THOUGH IM 13
Teen, 14 years old Written byBakura FTW May 21, 2011

Painstakingly Amazing

I admit, I was in love with this series. I practically grew up with it and I was horribly dismayed to find that it had not been listed in ANY "Top [animes, TV shows]...." I read! The outstanding storylines, grounding character depth and overall awesomeness blew me away, but it seems that the brilliant anime did not get the proper recognition it deserved! I checked the trailers and advertising, which seemed fine, so I guess people just don't like the idea of epic card games with a dangerous Egyptian twist. :(. However, even I admit the constant ramblings of the characters as they explain (to the audience) the entire game gets a little tiresome. Very, very minor violence and blood (due to 4kids' strict dubbing). Then there are the follow ons, GX, 5Ds, and the new Zexal. GX was very nearly as epic as the original, and I really did try to love 5Ds, but I couldn't get over the whole "card games on motorcycles" theme. Zexal? So far, Zexal has honestly just been one big, screwed up "WTF?!".
Adult Written byjoshua martinez May 23, 2010

7 and up.

yu-gi-oh is in ok cartoon but parents this cartoon series yu-gi-oh has a lot of scary monsters and cartoon violence that may frighten your young kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMızυκı November 19, 2015

Yu-Gi-Oh! (The Many Versions)

The original anime, meaning when it is in Japanese and subbed in English or another language, is meant to be for ages 12-13+. It has a few sentences that younger audiences may find confusing or disturbing. Such as lines from the third season concerning one character having a mark burned into him by his father. There are messages about changing for the better somewhere in the seasons that are very good to hear especially from the heroic protagonist Yugi Mutou. However, I do not recommend showing young children this version. The English dub by 4kids is said by fans to have "ruined" the show, however, I believe that the voice actors are fine (I like Eric Stuart/Kaiba's voice actor, he's funny irl) and the story line is okay. The show just doesn't make as much sense considering the darker points that make up the reasons of the key events are removed from the show. This version (ENG) focuses on how the heart of the cards and friendship can overcome anything and is a good show for children (6+) to watch. There are some mildly scary looking monsters used in the card game, but good usually wins in the end, so it isn't like showing a 5 year old The Hunger games (do not try this). Lastly, there is a "forgotten" season of Yu-Gi-Oh! which is often refereed to as "season 0." This is made from the original first manga series and is made for teens (13+). It contains violence and jokes that are a bit inappropriate for young kids (about girls). The most honorable character from the main series is portrayed as more of a dark alter ego that protects his host person he lives in (he's a spirit) by killing anyone who harms him or his friends. Not for kids, too many scary situation where characters almost die, disappear, or go insane. There is also something that happens called "Death T" which is like a very corrupt version of an amusement park run by the main antagonist from most of the seasons (Seto Kaiba). I hope this review helps those who choose to read it. The two things highlighted for families to know about refer to the English dub. Just so no one is confused. Have fun watching! :)
Adult Written byTrevorsHeartburn September 22, 2015

I'd let Yugi put me in face-down defense mode

Adult Written byDrew172 February 24, 2015

Yogi oh becomes a religion

All parents should be well aware of the occult connotations contained within the yugioh television series. Younger children will be easily captivated by such references and be easily enticed to embrace the "religion" of the game which I personally find distasteful. At the young age of 8 I first started watching this tv series and became obsessed with it. Much whining later I got my first trading card deck (a purchase which any child will want to follow their encounter with this tv series). This game absorbed a lot of time everyday of my life and my parents easily spent two grand on all the trading cards. If for nothing else, the consumerism is downright awful. Expect to have your kid lured into the consumerist paradigm this tv show wraps around them, especially if young. As for the occult references, heavy (seemingly "innocent") satanic symbolism and references. Yugioh through its magic cards and "demon conjuring" monster cards is essentially completely designed to grease the wheel for satan worship and practice of witchcraft.If you don't care about this and are all about the money, consider the inane obsession, amount of time, and amount of money you will spend in association with this tv series. If I could recommend anything it would be not to let your children watch this. Additionally, parents should be warned that some of these demon monster characters are presented in a rather sexually provocative manner likely inappropriate for the age group.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCarFox July 6, 2011

Watch it.

I admit that I used to watch this show all the time when I was a kid. Come on people, have a little faith in your children. It's just a television show. Yu-Gi-Oh! isn't any more violent than Pokemon. This show has good role models who always stand up for what is right and would do anything for their friends. Some of the monster designs can get a little disturbing, but it's not anything to worry about. As for the plot: at times it's really good and entertaining, but it can also get very cheesy, but that's not a problem for kids. The thing that really made me love this show was the Egyptian theme. I always loved seeing the characters that were from Egypt and the season where the actually travel to the Pharoh's homeland was top-notch. Here's some advice, though: don't watch GX or 5D's unless you want your kids to be exposed to the most horrific thing in the history of things. (It starts with a "C" and ends with an "ard games on motorcycles.)
Kid, 12 years old June 10, 2011

Umm

Personally, I hate this show. It is stupid, but Jaden is hot. But; look Yugi-Oh! up now, so many parodies and fandubs have been made about it by a man they call "Little Kuriboh" that are explicit. His parodies include every cuss word you can think of, and some you may not have even heard of. So I think Yugi-Oh! is a very dangerous YouTube topic for any age. Look up "Without Yugi", and "Jaden's Rap" on YouTube.
Kid, 10 years old May 1, 2011

a anime,but bad

DONT WATCH THIS (yes its anime but its terrible!)watch Hikaru No Go insted!its much better!
Kid, 11 years old March 24, 2011

BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im a kid and i enjoy the show but parents dont be fooled im a christain and some of this stuff is VERY unGodly so just be REALLY REALLY REALLY careful
Adult Written byawareness April 9, 2008
Teen, 17 years old Written byygofan42 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byyami0204 April 9, 2008

Uh-huh...

Ah, a classic display of an anime being brought over to the U.S. and used for marketing something. However, seasoned readers of Shounen Jump (the one in Japan and in America) know that Yu-Gi-Ou was NOT made for children. TV executives have managed to keep the really violent and racey episodes off the screen, but it's still pretty violent. This show maybe advertised toward kids, but that doesn't mean it's good for them. (Even I don't watch it, and I'm an anime fan. O.o; )
Adult Written byclonegamer654 July 5, 2016

this show is awesome

this show is not bad it is good the show in not bad it is good and it is just good there some bad edit but I still like it