Social Q&A site with lots of objectionable content.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySapphireWatermelon September 22, 2013

Be. Careful.

If you do choose to make an account, DISABLE ANONYMOUS QUESTIONS. Seriously. I was told on my profile that my friend and I were annoying, to f**k ourselves up, and that everyone hated us. Meanwhile, my classmates throw around swear words and sexual jokes. This site WAS good for picking up on a lot of gossip, though, but you should disable anonymous questions if you decide to sign up.
Teen, 14 years old Written byepicboss258 October 5, 2013

depends on how it is use

First off, this is probably not for kids, there's nothing to terrible about it, but It's better to not wander too far out of a certain aspect of the site. Unless you have a friend with an ask.fm account, it is not very active. Strangers tend to not bother people they don't know and stay in a group of people they know, but there's still about a 7% chance that a random person will contact you. Even though it's a website where you answer people's questions, it's surprisingly safe from people outside of the site. It's almost impossible to find someone unless they know about the site and they have an account (and you can't get on the website unless you have a link, which is impossible to find unless the user post it elsewhere.) That's not to say the security is flawless. Keep in mind that it is a site where you get questions from others, and though ridiculously hard to track, it's not impossible. But it's not like the user is powerless to stop the person from asking questions, they can block and report a user. But for younger kids, it's not likely that they will know what the best thing to do is. But the big point is what it is being used for. Unless you are using it because your a popular youtuber, or you use it for a Q&A page, there aren't a lot of reasons to have an ask.fm page anyway.
Kid, 11 years old September 13, 2013

NO PLEASE DONT JUST DONT EVEN

This website is SO bad. I had a account, then someone called me fat, ugly, and stupid and ALSO told me that nobody liked me. Then, my friend got a account. People call her things that I can DEFFINITELY not put on here cause of guidelines. They are also telling her to kill herself. Mind you, WE ARE 11 AND 12. She acts like everything is fine when I know she is dying inside.
Teen, 14 years old Written byyoshi shiyamleswaran May 27, 2014

This website should not even be available

I am a teen ,age 14. I can honestly say that I do use this app but only to keep an eye on what going on.I have only had this for about a month and have already received heaps of hate on anon.This website allows people to anonymously ask each other question but this isn't used right and questions aren't monitored either.People use the fact that it is anon as a advantage to release hate on so many people.Causing people pain which leads to depression, self harm and suicidal attempts.Whilst most teens can deal with it and be strong and just ignore it.Some teens are self conscious already and the things people say hurt.With ask fm the anonymous user suddenly has a lot of power to say anything.Its a bullying website, almost every single person has been a victim of hate on this website.The point of social media sites is for people to get to know each other not to tare each other apart.The worst part is that most of the anon tends to be friends around you that you know and you cannot do nothing about it because you don't know who it is ,They are backstabbing you , causing you grief and lying to ur face .They are laughing at your pain.Its a website turning true friends into complete fakes.So it is tareing our generation apart and messing up our society.You cant even see who is following you which is even worse because this attracts complicated situations such as teenagers giving out details to random people or strangers using details about teens to find them.Atleast if the followers were known teens can stay safe whist using the appalling website. No safety not one tiny bit of safety can be assured by this website all ratings 0 out of 5 .This website should be shut down.
Teen, 13 years old Written by150quail March 7, 2014

Horrible,hurtful site

Bullying is so constant, it can happen at anytime on this site. Death threats and also pics that are slightly sexual are also sent. Not for kids!
Educator and Parent Written byworkingmotherof3 January 19, 2014

How can this be legal?

This site gives children an open invitation to vent their anger, insults, bad language, hate.... Teasing, taunting, criticising, bullying... Popular kids use it as a platform to become more popular, unaware or perhaps well aware that their comments can hurt others. Children with a low self-esteem are likely to fall victim to bullying as the site allows anonymous posts. As a teacher and mother it is the worst social media site I have ever seen. Sign the numerous petitions on change.org to ban this site.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTorixx1 April 25, 2015

Don't bother..

This is just another way for cyber bullying to get around. These anonymous people post questions on your page. You don't know who this is... Though many people are pretty good about not replying to mean messages, there are some who take it seriously. In my opinion this is a waste of time kind of app
Teen, 13 years old Written bysandiego13 July 14, 2014

Safety issues with anonymous asks

I don't think that this website is okay for kids. It's a very easy and direct way for cyberbullies to attack through anonymous questions and also for older users and anonymous people to send inappropriate messages to children and teens. Even turning off anonymous asks doesn't guarantee safety, as I've had experience with users who make blank profiles just to ask questions. Not safe for kids.
Adult Written byLashyun April 3, 2014

Not great.

This is simply another question/answer site. The anonymous questions option is sometimes fun, but sometimes also used to direct hurtful things at other users. It might be best to disable this feature. One important thing to note is that their support team is definitely onto it and won't leave you hanging. I found someone publically publishing questions with my full name in them spreading upsetting misinformation, and I reported the comments immediately that evening and sent a message in through their "contact us" form. By morning, I had recieved an email from the support team, and by the next day the comments had all been removed. This site is not for younger kids. Teenagers could use it, but do be aware of the potential for things to turn nasty.
Teen, 15 years old Written byilovemaroon5 July 17, 2015

Disgusting

I don't use social media, never have. Someone spread a rumor about myself, stating I had lost my virginity and I was carrying a child. This is a more polite interpretation of what the person said. I am mostly shy, and don't talk to most people who use vulgar language. Many of my friends have been through events such as this, and numerous people across the world have commited suicide because of being bullied on this webiste. Do not use it, even if it is on "private" or if it is closed off to the public. Please.
Teen, 16 years old Written byAGirlWhoIsConfused October 29, 2014

Useful, but risky.

DO NOT let your child use this site without a clue of what's going on. It's much too dangerous. I haven't encountered such stuff, but I know other people who has. It's a useful site, and I am guilty of using it to have (polite) conversation with my pen pal, but it's too risky for teens. (Also, tell them to stop using Snapchat, as that's even worse)
Kid, 11 years old August 14, 2014

It depends how you use it

Anonymous questions are iffy. But as far as I know there is a setting thst takes off anonymous questions. Another thing is that there is no way to make your account private
Teen, 13 years old Written bySkyJewelDiamond October 23, 2013

fine for teens.

I've been using it for a while now, and there're no problems. However, ask fm shouldn't have allow users to have the option to choose whether to allow anonymous questions- just a straight path to DANGER! Besides that, it's pretty fun to answer random questions. However, parents, teach your kids about blocking and reporting mean/rude behaviour towards them IMMEDIATELY. And also, if your child turns on the "Allow anonymous questions" option, be sure to teach them the kind of "questions" - actually scams/danger questions - to ignore. Besides that, have fun!
Teen, 13 years old Written byno_such_thing May 30, 2014

It Completely Depends What You Use It For

If you were to use this to get to know someone if definitely can help you learn some things about another person. It's fun when it's friends and you can get really positive messages on there that can make you aw, but there are a couple cons about it too, Not only can you get hateful messages about the most random things, it can be very inappropriate, sometimes you can't joke around with a friend without someone asking if you're sexual orientation is different than 'normal' straight people. Rates and Tbh 'to be honest' can be very rude getting scored low and overall someone saying rude comments, it ruins you self-esteem and confidence, but sometimes you can see who your friends are because they stick up for you. Overall If you don't mind the mean things ask.fm can be funny and help you learn a lot. Hope you enjoy, and if you do choose to make one be safe and remember if they really wanted to hurt you they would say it right to your face.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykellin quinn May 6, 2014

its fine

it all depends on the child. if you are a victim of bullying then you can bullied on the site. however, most kids bully others and get ''hate'' for it. I'm 14 and have an account and it's great, I don't get hate, im quite ''popular'' on it and its just fun to be on. if your child is receiving hate, just turn off anon questions, or block the hater, or just deactivate your account. if you are being bullied on it- there isn't much point you having it so just deactivate your account. don't get people to ban the website because your child is being bullied, a lot of users find it fun- don't punish them. I don't think a user under the age of 13 should have an account because a lot of users do swear quite a lot.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNicky12345 April 25, 2014

Users might get mean messages or perverted anonymous questions

many teens get bullied on this site
Teen, 16 years old Written bydiavita Anjelina March 10, 2014

crush

i feel terrible about crush.
Parent Written bygyurobenson November 30, 2015

Horrible website full of bullying

The creators of Ask.fm should be ashamed of themselves for allowing what goes on among children on this website. This website does nothing but enable destructive, distasteful, bullying and inappropriate behavior for kids and teens. I don't see how the owners of this website can sleep at night knowing the harm they are causing to children. This website is nearly impossible for parents to monitor making many innocent kids vulnerable to dangerous situations. All of Ask.fm's fancy "settings" and "filters" do nothing to prevent horrible behavior. Their fancy settings also do not prevent kids from bashing and destroying the reputation of other innocent kids who don't have an Ask.fm account or social media at all. Kids don't have the sense to turn off anonymous followers and parents have zero control. How can the owners of this website even look at themselves in the mirror for this? What they have done is disgusting. It's time for parents to speak up and boycott this terrible, inhumane website. DON'T ALLOW YOUR KID TO HAVE AN ACCOUNT ON THIS SICK WEBSITE, YOU WILL REGRET IT FOR YEARS TO COME!!
Kid, 10 years old November 22, 2015

Nope. Bully

I am strong and I can deal with bullies I've gotten bullied online ask fm just no. I still have an account just to look at other peoples. It is very mean it is creepy because you don't know who is asking you the question. It leads kids to sucidal thoughts. There are bullies they say awful things like " I hope you die" " your ugly" and it leads you to a dark road in front of you. Also people ask creepy questions so please dont let your child get it.
Adult Written byMomsCare October 8, 2015

Parents beware!

Please pay attention to any child whether a teenager or even as younger, if they are on this site. Make sure to stay clued in to who they chat with/leave messages on this site. Enough said.