All parent member reviews for Club Penguin

Adult Written byCelestialBlessings April 23, 2009

Membership PROBLEMS

Overall, Club Penguin is smart & fun, but membership has some problems that need addressed in order to make this site totally terrific. Membership allows kids to fully enjoy the site, however, when the membership renewal doesn't go though or expires, objects such as costumes, hats, ninja outfits, igloo items & more all "disappear temporarily" until the minimum $5.95 fee is paid. Now, not only is that rather ROTTEN to do to kids who already "purchased" these items with points earned while PAID members, it's simply BAD BUSINESS. It would be just as motivating & lucrative for the site owner to simply KEEP EVERYTHING ALREADY EARNED DURING PAID MEMBERSHIP IN CHILDREN'S ACCOUNTS, but prevent any "new" items to be obtained until membership is renewed. After all, we already PAID to have access to all those cute items & therefore they NOW BELONG to our child's account! Items acquired during membership should remain the "property" of the account holder, not the site! It's ridiculous for a child to exclaim, "Oh no, I can't use my ninja suit and my items are blocked out!" in order to prompt another $5.95 membership fee! The site owner should prompt membership payment/renewal by making ONLY NEW ITEMS unavailable until membership is renewed again. Certainly, the retailer has no right to TAKE WHAT WAS ALREADY PAID FOR! After all, using prepaid debit cards for online purchases & even the Club Penguin cards available at C.V.S, walmart, etc. means that parents will always be renewing their child's account! So why in the world would Club Penguin be so crummy to kids to with-hold many of the fun things they earned while paid members -- even if only for an hour while we care-givers & parents quickly run to the store for a new prepaid debit or club penguin card? The same prompt for membership renewal can be communicated just as clearly by simply withholding account access to NEW STUFF until membership is renewed, without all the unnecessary DRAMA! Club Penguin, kick it up a notch & be a better retailer. Then, yes, your site will be truly GREAT! Best, A Wise Grandmother
Adult Written bycarolinababy February 22, 2009

Why you should not let your child use Club Penguin com

Please do not join CLUB PENGUIN! Here is why... You can work very hard to gain points and the points buy you nice things. If your computer goes down without you saving it you will lose all your points. I wrote them and they claim this does not happen, but it does. Then if your membership ends, you lose everything you worked hard for. The only way to gain things back is to renew your membership. So if you don't pay them money you lose everything you worked so hard for. I think that is extortion and it does not teach kids anything. Parents, please show club penguin you mean - business, good business. Don't buy a membership. play for free.
Adult Written byDadof2 March 29, 2009

Don't do it

My boys used the site for a while and grew bored with it. I tried to cancel the paid, monthly membership but their site would not allow me to do so. I sent an email to their customer service department, but my credit card was charged again. I sent another email asking for a credit because they did not cancel the membership as I requested. They refused to take care of the credit. I sent another emai, and they refused again. I sent yet another email, but so far nothing has been done. Sadly, customer service doesn't seem to be a priority to Club Penguin.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byJamie and James March 14, 2010

Fun, and even though I've never seen bad words, is it not safe enough?

My son plays Club Penguin while my daughter plays webkinz. Like Jamie, James also does not play on it a lot. Again, I hate it that they can say whatever they want. I told my son he is allowed to have friends on it and do whatever, except he cannot talk to the penguins in the buildings and places like that.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byhyuvbo December 15, 2009

inapropriate for any children

this is the worst site ever i dont feel that my 12 year old is safe on this site
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byamyriggsby August 16, 2009

Penguins is great except one little thing !

The only thing we dislike about it is every time my son clicks on most things it wants him to purchase a membership...so I get asked several times a day if he can get a membership...which can be aggravating because my financial situation right now wont allow it.
Adult Written bydawnintahoe April 9, 2008

Find something else for your 9 year old to do.

Yesterday my 9 year old daughters friend shared Club Penguin with us and I let my daughter register. In the 30 min we were on, 3 times we were approached by other penguins asking “girl or boy?” I guess curious little penguins first off want to know what sex they are dealing with, (or could this be a predator? How do you really know?). After a few meaningless words with one of her new friends, a boy, we noticed another little penguin, showing obvious sadness, mad faced, then she asked our new buddy, “Are you going with HER now? Is she your new friend?” This little penguin was obviously jealous and having a hard time dealing with her boy buddies new friend. Then we witnessed a making up and they threw hearts back and forth to each other and then disappeared. You draw your own conclusion. My daughter was almost in tears when trying to make a friend who would reject her or suddenly disapear. Another negative point is the fact that the site endorses materialism, rewarding game playing with money to buy "stuff" for your penguin. And you can get better "stuff" if you pay for a membership. In my opinion this type of site in all its innocence is a just precursor for Myspace. For now, my daughter can find other things to do, outside preferably, and enjoy her childhood. Why rush things? Club Penguin, you’re cute and seemingly well intentioned but no thanks!
Adult Written bymorgan1230 May 7, 2009

Club Penguin

Club Penguin is a great website, for all ages. It teaches them to be carefull with there money and resposibility for there puffles.There is a great reveiw to Club Penguin from me!!!
Adult Written bythe kid April 9, 2008

Great Community

Club Penguin seems to be right on with it's core values. My kids have been able to make friends from all over the world. Once they were bullied but they reported the mean penguin and were then able to place that penguin on their ignore list, meaning they are no longer able to see anything that penguin says. Club Penguin also promises to review the report and take appropriate action against bullies. A great and refreshing site.
Adult Written byjohnbcdhjgfzsdl... July 2, 2015

All the crips in compton absolutely LOOOOVE the blue puffles

this game is highly addictive and violent because of all the gang activity (bloods=red puffles) and when i see a red puffle i assume they be bloods gang representatives and i cap em wit a snowball str8 between da eyez
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written bystarrparrent1 November 24, 2011

strict says yes.

I am pretty strict about virtual worlds. I let my 9 year old and 12 year old go on this. the only issue:i won't pay.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bySoul7 March 12, 2011

It's an O.K. website

It is a good website but Club penguin wants a lot of money. The members get most of the things but nonmembers don't get so much. But still a good website.
Adult Written bysmoothmoves97 March 28, 2010

Once you complete all the spy missions, buy all the colors, and get your Ninja Belt, there is nothing to do but wander around, playing games just to earn coins you can't use. It says that kids are motivated to get a deluxe membership, but really they are pushed. The only thing you can buy without a deluxe membership are colors, and once you have all the colors, where do you go from there? In the end, Club Penguin falls flat.
Adult Written bygabandcab July 20, 2009

Club Penguin offered a three month reduced fee opportunity. Unfortunately for those who live in the Pacific Time Zone, the offer can be pulled before the day is half over. Club Penguin will not accommodate a request to obtain this offer and could care less about the fact that it was pulled early for pacific time than the rest of the country. You're out of luck is basically what I was told. Don't waste your money. Play elsewhere and receive more professional treatment.
Adult Written bylalala3 April 9, 2008

Evil!

Pure Evil and violent! do not let children play. You can type anything in-and then it apears on screens around the world. Evil!
Adult Written bysilvercoffey April 9, 2008

Club is unfair!

I used to have a membership, but we let it run out by mistake and they took away all of my stuff! I worked really hard for my house upgrades, had lots of clothes, and had saved lots of money! I think that's really mean!
Parent Written byUK Rox December 7, 2011

Club Penguin - Another Disney money maker

Non members get very limited access - disney needs more money - Water cards games dont run properly - disney answer 'try google chrome - that should help' (thanks for telling my kids to install new browser) - The games are not educational at all most of games are based more on luck and are a chore to play - When rare visitors visit game server - the server is near impossible to get onto - when you do get on said server - the room is either 'too full to enter' or you get disconnected trying to get in - continuous loading problems for the site (even on top of the range gaming machine with great internet) - Also bear in mind any thing bought while in membership is not usable when membership ends - thus you get on screen message telling you to renew membership - thanks paid one month subscription for my boy to play fire card game to ninja and lucky water ninja status (with near unplayable water card game) - only to have the suits locked when membership ended - so all in all another disney money making load of rubbish - also be aware if your UK user (this site uses American version of english - nice to encourage UK youngest how 'not' to spell) - but I suppose I can end on a single positive - that the kids will get bored by the time membership ends anyway - very small limited expensive site
Parent of a 9 year old Written bySussie June 30, 2010

Not perfect for kids. Okay for teens.

I don't think this is a good game. I went on my daughter's account, everywhere someone says ''How could you cheat on me?'' I went everywhere, even the pet shop, and they have breastfeeding. (Babies) Where teens/kids act like babies. And then there's the teen hang out, the Forest. Teens act as wolves and vampires. With sucking blood. And another thing on the baby,some teens hate the babies, so people would ''Buy'' the babies and take them to their igloo. But the ones who hate them, would bring them to their igloo, and throw them at the wall. And curse at their faces. Now CP blocks cussing yes? But instead, they use different words. They switch the first letters. And once, I saw someone trying to give their phone number away. Also, the babies and others get bullied. Some aren't ''Cool'' enough to fit in with the popular crowd. I say this is more for teens.
Adult Written byKochen June 20, 2010

Well.......

Club Penguin is a fun environment for my children. I logged on to spy on my children, and discovered that players with free chat can say anything they want. For example, I saw 2 players pretending to kiss where i logged in. They were typing sounds that I wouldn't want my child to be hearing. And there are ways to get past the curse filtering. I'm not going to say how, but I saw 3 players doing just that. I can say I learned 2 curses I didn't even know were curses. You may want to keep your younger children under supervision. This website is safe all around in the "buying" division. Credit card numbers are secure when buying a membership, don't worry. If you find a virus on your computer, it may be from your children downloading club penguin cheating programs, called "trainers." Be sure to tell them never to cheat.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byCommonSpence April 6, 2009

A charming virtual world, some uncharming penguins.

At first look Club penguin is a cute, kid-friendly virtual world which in many aspects it is. However there are some rather rotten little penguins. My daughter signed up and I got her a months membership and for weeks she played happily on it. Unfortunately she ran into a nasty little peice of work. Her friend invited her to his igloo, they chatted all was well. Until his 'girlfriend' turned up and started picking on her saying things like 'get the f * * k away from my boy'. Yes she managed to get the f word through by spacing it out. We reported and blocked the little so and so and left it at that. In conclusion it's a nice little game but I suggest you monitor your children whilst they play, just incase.