Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for deviantART

Online art gallery is creative space for older teens.

Adult Written bycarrie r. July 20, 2017

DeviantArt Staff Lazyness

This website has got my child crying multiple times. We went to the staff for some assistance on extreme Cyber Bullying. One of the community members targeted her making an embarrassing journal about her. We turned this child in and the staff told us that it was not of their concern, even though in the forums it stated that the member could not post such things on the website. We turned it a total of 5 reports of this child, nothing was done about this. So to summarize everything. This website's staff sit around gathering money in their pockets while they refuse to enforce of their rules allowing psychological damage to my child from this Cyber Bullying.
Adult Written bySidney S July 22, 2017

This site should be closed!

As many wrong things on the internet this site also should be closed, because it's twisted, wrong and sick place. Everything there is backwards! deviantART administration does something only if the crowd begs them to do it, other than that they're lazy and selfish people, who are interested only in money. This place isn't appropriate for anyone! Selfishness, leeches and greediness is on every corner on this site and at the top of it ridiculous justice warriors are roaming, claiming they fight for justice. While sometimes they do something good, most of the times justice warriors take things out of the context, making one side look bad and the other side look good, although fault is at both sides and falsely accuse people, who got nothing to do with crimes. You shouldn't believe everything these justice warriors say, because there are times when these justice warriors aren't any better than liars or even bullies. Children should stay away from it! The only thing your child can learn here is how to insult people and commit crimes like destroying other people's reputation and bullying! Don't let yourselves be fooled by the positive reviews about this site. At best it's only one or two years like that. After that hell begins and you'll see that people you called friends are jerks and bullies. Speaking of bullies. Be careful, because even a bully on this site is capable to pretend as your friendly and supportive friend, who encourages you, but later destroys your courage and trust in other people just because you didn't fit in bully's sick expectations.

Adult Written byFox M September 30, 2017

One BIG FAKE and a VERY AWFUL PLACE!

When I joined on this site few years ago, it was a decent and promising place, but I left it due to personal issues. Now in 2017 I joined again and have to say this place has changed and changes are awful! I got the feeling the old and good community left this site and got replaced with parasites, leeches, fake friends, trolls and bullies, but that's not the worst. The worst is on top of it all, called justice and deviantART admins! You might think justice groups helps you fight against bullies, but it's not true. Justice groups only punishes people, who got angered by trolls and bullies, just like devianART admins punish such people, but the true bullies gets away without a punishment and has even friendship with justice groups! From the recent drama I figured out that some bullies also doesn't get punishment just because they are lesser evil! I'm sorry, WHAT?! Is that the newest excuse to not punish a bully! Any form of evil has to be weeded out before it does more damage and if justice groups refuses to weed out lesser evil then have to ask if such groups are really for justice or just a protection services for bullies?! The same justice groups are also forcing people to admit crimes people haven't committed and harasses them until they hear admission from people they wish to blame. If that doesn't work then they impersonate these people so that it would look like a person, who justice groups wishes to blame, has admitted things, which actually this person they blame hasn't done! Nothing is real on deviantART! Friendship, understanding, kindness and everything else is faked enormously on deviantART! Administration on this site supports bullying and refuses to stop it! If you have a fame, core membership and many watchers then you can bully anyone you wish to bully! Sadly everyone I know, who really has a disability or disorder, is hated and bullied on this site, while everyone, who I know has a fake disability or fake disorder is admired and loved on deviantART. I suggest you to not buy their lousy core membership, because lazy deviantART administrators shouldn't be supported and I also suggest you to not bother with this site and find another site, where you could submit your art. People and everything else on this site isn't worth your and your child's time, attention and nightmares. And one more thing! Art is just a bait, used to lure you inside this huge horror lair!

Parent Written byBlackeyeI C. July 7, 2017

A Fetish Playground

DeviantArt should simply be locked away in a fortress that children and others can't get to! Sure it can have good artwork that comes in now and then. However underneath everything is the 37% of the website that is a public fetish playground of all sorts, filled with content that promotes (I kid you not) genocide, racism (heightism), sexism, inflation, and violence, basically rule 34. Ranging from half-naked women to the murder of cartoon men these things are accepted as being normal everyday material on the website and often the staff don't take action against your reports because it doesn't go against their rules, why is it not sexual enough? It feels like the staff actually don't care. It's ironic because the website clearly breaks one of the rules against over-sexualised images or sexual based humour which is clearly present as an entire community genre! Unsurprisingly people get away with showing nude characters who have tape over their breasts and many more horrific things. Additionally, if you report too much (as if you couldn't) you will automatically have your report tool removed for a month or permanently (I lost mine)! Often I've seen people who post constant images about one person (.E.g. a celebrity) but they also get sexual, and a very much a stalker. Don't be surprised to see themes around alcohol, drugs and smoking, especially if it's a meme. It's extremely difficult talking sense to these people because they're most likely too far gone and will come up with anything to justify themselves. Lots of swearing is present in some artworks or users, and in typical chats. The entire website is centred around purchases, including buying artworks or features for your page or group. Simply don't make an account on this website EVER. It's dangerous for you and others too! If you have an account, or your child does, I insist you DELETE IT IMMEDIATELY! I will add that I have received unwanted sexual tracking cookies from random pages. It's a rare occurance.

Adult Written byEmily S October 17, 2017

Once was great, now it is awful!

From once a great website deviantART has turned into the worst place in which there's nothing worthy to see! The only ones who get admiration and love are parasites, leeches and fake friends, while people, who keep things real, are hated there! It seems that slowly people are leaving this place, because whenever I find truly great artist's account I also find out this artist last time was active about 100 weeks ago. Bullies on this site are capable to abuse an adult so far that adult needs more than a year to recover from such abuse. Happened with my friend. He was a happy and helpful person, who was good at work, but thanks to bullies turned into a clumsy wreck and very depressive human being. It took 3 years for my friend to recover from moral abuse, but, unfortunately, consequences of abuse are still noticeable sometimes, only good thing is that it doesn't happen so often anymore. If these bullies are capable to harm so bad an adult, then I fear child might be traumatized even worse, which is why I suggest you to not allow your children to create an account on this website, because there is a every huge possibility that your child will be traumatized for the rest of his/her life!

Adult Written bySteve S July 21, 2017

STAY AWAY FROM IT FOR THE SAKE OF EVERYTHING YOU HOLD DEAR!!!

This place is beyond terrible! Popularity in this site means you can do whatever you want, that includes bullying others and spreading rumors about other people! Popular artists bullies people and you can report them as much as you wish to admins, they won't care about it. In best case you'll hear suggestion to block! You think it helps? No, because then it ends with rumor spreading and admins won't even care about this! They'll do nothing to stop this, because they don't care how consequences of such bullying can affect victim's entire life! If you or your child has been bullied on this site and admins of this site doesn't care about it, then I encourage you and suggest you to report this site to any authority, which fights against bullying on the internet, because it seems that admins of this site supports bullying! Gather evidence, which proves admins doesn't care about it and evidence, which proves you were bullied, then give this evidence to any authority, which responds on such cases! If you and your child still decide to set foot on this site, despite of what I said then be there only because of art you post there or because of art you like to watch, depends if you're artist or someone, who just watches other artists! Avoid communication with people you don't know there as much as possible. Be polite enough, but don't hold high hopes you'll make new friends there, because only small amount of people there are good friends and it's almost impossible to determine, which one is good friend and which one is bad friend. Usually their true faces shows up after a year and then you can see ugly reality that 0-5 out of 150 people you called friends are really friends.

Adult Written byJJ G. November 20, 2017

It's not worth your time, attention, money, pain and tears

Really! Ignore this site's existence, because it's not worth it to have an account there.It's full with ungrateful, narcissistic, lying, hypocritical and self righteous bullies, who will hate and bully anyone, who doesn't share their opinion about anything, especially this happens in fan art community. Justice groups claims that they are there to serve justice, but actually they are spitting in face to real cyber bullying investigators with all kinds of excuses, which are actually meant for excusing their own crimes, their stupidity and pathetic justice show, which is so unconvincing that it's surprising it has followers at all. Whenever these justice people have issues or their account got hacked, others are supposed to believe them, despite justice people don't have proof, just their words, but when others, who aren't in justice groups, claims the same, these justice groups demands proof and if you can't prove then they call you a liar. Worst part is that whenever there is a public conflict those people from justice groups are stalking and harassing anyone, who left a neutral comment in public conflict, trying to convince them that only one side is bad, despite that it's obvious both sides has faults in this public conflict. If you will join there as a new artist then don't expect you will be noticed, because the only way how people will notice you and your art is if you are going to join drama and help justice groups spread their junk. Other than that you will be invisible, because these justice groups are a part of the reason why everyone I know, who was willing to help you to get recognition on this site without asking in return something for that, is gone. Ungratefulness is another reason. I was among these people, who dedicated their free time to help other artists to get recognition on this site. Wasn't expecting rewards for that, but I didn't expected such ungratefulness either. Now these people, who I tried to help to get recognition on this site, are telling other people garbage and other lies about me like I don't have a life, that's why I spend time on the internet. The worst isn't these lies, the worst is that so many people are believing such nonsense, which ungrateful people tells about me. My experience with this site is so negative that I won't pity it's useless admins, if their site will be closed for good. And if it is in someone's power to close this site then please do it, that will be a great favor to community. Speaking of admins. They are such idiots that they can't tell the difference between opinion, abuse, lies and libel. The only time when they notice abuse is the time when curse words are used, but it will be a wonder if those morons will ever realize that lying and libel in public is also abuse and a serious crime. Core members, who bully people, won't be banned, because they get protection from useless admins-morons! There rules pay to be protected policy. If you won't pay for core membership then you won't get admin protection, which is why this site sucks, because it doesn't care about people, it cares only about money. At some points it feels like racketeering is happening there. Some people are nice there, but it's not worth it to dedicate your time and attention just to find these nice people, because, before you will find these nice people, you, most likely, will meet a lot of ungrateful jerks, who will hurt you so much that you might regret for the rest of your life you have set your foot there and were nice, and helped those people, who didn't deserved your help. If you wish to post your art on the internet then find another site or open your own website and avoid dA for your own good! I doubt changes in the staff will make dA better, which is why I think the only option what to do with dA is to close it! I don't even care how it will be closed, if it will be closed someday! Honestly I'm surprised dA has 3 star rating, because it doesn't deserve even one star! It will be better if your children won't have an account on this site, because this site is only teaching how to commit crime and how to excuse it.

Adult Written byTJ T. July 29, 2017

No, no and NO!

This site isn't meant for kind artists! This site is for artistic bullies only! If your first language isn't English, then you most likely haven't paid attention to what deviant means. Let me explain you that deviant means differs from a norm, especially a person whose behavior and attitudes differ from accepted social standards. This is what you can see there. Bunch of people, who's behavior and attitudes differ from accepted social standards, especially if it's about justice warriors! Stay away from those, because these justice warriors aren't any better than bullies. Justice is used to excuse bullying, which does popular artists and artists, who paid for core membership! Cyber bullying isn't that big problem as a fact how cyber bullying is excused on this site! It's not just usual he did this to me, that's why I bully him type of excuses. Disorders are also used as excuses to support bullies, who bully people, which might as well really could have disorder. Terrible and disgusting! This site is lovely place for upcoming criminals, because this site has a lazy administration, who's only interest is money and if they do something, then it's because crowd beg them to do it. Don't be fooled by the positive reviews. There isn't any objectivity on this site, especially when it comes to justice, just crowd's idiocy!

Adult Written byBill V July 12, 2017

Ridiculous and immature

This site is ridiculous and immature, because it's no longer art site. It's site were socially excluded people are playing justice warriors, which they are not! Instead of doing justice for everyone, these justice warriors are looking for scapegoat, which they can blame. Apparently these justice warriors haven't heard anything about court, which would be more appropriate place were to look for justice. These justice warriors also haven't heard anything about evidence and evidently think that their accusations, reputation and just because crowd said something about someone, it proves anything. Nope! It doesn't. deviantART admins also are gone crazy and plays justice warriors. All these justice warriors are accusing people of lying, but aren't better than liars, because they tell things they can't prove, which might as well be lies. These justice warriors are showing wrong example to kids, which is why my suggestion is to keep children away from this ridiculous and immature site!

Adult Written byhaha nate dogg February 9, 2017

it sucks

too much inflation and fetishes don't let your kids watch it

Adult Written byTanner28 October 26, 2012

Do not use Deviantart dot com

This is NOT a website that cares about its community or users. They are slow to stop art theives. Slow to remove spammers. They also show little to no care about the regular users of their website, such as making massive changes or submitting its users to tests without prior knowledge. Here is a good example taken from one someone wrote. It's the version change all over again? (As far as I can gather) Simply thrown at the community? Check. (Even though it is this time just a test group) Negative opinions obviously getting ignored? Check. (If they wouldn't be ignored the new submission page would (most probably) at least be already deviantgreen, as that is the most demanded and asked thing even from the people who like the new submission page.) Thus simply forcing it on (not just throwing at) the community? Check. (Everything until now was forced upon the community (excluding Beta-testers and Alpha-testers as they generally give their allowance). We didn't even get the simple option to choose/vote or even get informed somewhere about anything. (Even in the most recent "weekly site update" journal the new submission page is still listed being in "Beta-testing". No word about the normal member group and no word about it being mad because of the new submission page.) So, I guess I get the idea. DeviantART isn't a community(-driven) site, it's obviously your private site that you share with a community. You determine what it looks like and we're sitting here with the decision to stay and ask you to remove bugs from it or to simply leave. (We don't get to vote, nothing) And if everything is right I've stated until now then the sentence "We will be really sad to see you go!" on the Deactivation page must be a blatant lie. (If the decision is really "Deal with it or get out of here") And I also guess it was wrong to show any love or affection for the site. It just makes yourself angry when something is changed so that you dislike it. And someday I guess for pretty much everybody will something be found that they dislike/hate.

Adult Written bySim M. July 9, 2017

Very bad place, probably one of the worst you can find

More than a year ago somebody bullied me through notes. I reported this person to administration. They did nothing to stop it. I left this site, because I think it's unacceptable that deviantART administration does nothing to stop bully only because bully has core membership. Few days ago I went to this site to see if something's changed. Turns out that while I moved on and keep living my life, the same bully with it's supporters are falsely accusing me of crimes I haven't committed and telling people lies about my life. Once again deviantART administration does nothing to stop this. Common sense doesn't exist on this site, only hypocrisy and arrogance. I have impression some people there think that art making and uploading there somehow excuses false accusations and lies, they even think their reputation is enough to prove their accusations. Find better site than deviantART, because it's not art site any longer. It's site for liars and bullies only, who are making accusation competition, trying to destroy anybody's reputation. Any decent human being, who acts like a human and doesn't pretend to be something this person isn't is hunted like a wild animal and chased with accusations almost in the same manner how people were chased during witch trial times. Although this is 21st century, the medieval obscurantism still exists there. I believe there are some truly nice and kind people, but looking for such people is like searching for a needle in a haystack. I would highly recommend for parents to keep children away from this place. There's nothing worthy on this site.

Adult Written byJosh D. April 22, 2018

Stay Away ! Once a great website now just trash !

Oh boy where do i start ? Devianart has really gone down hill ! and i mean really has . First off i would like to say that my accounts ( i had two of them, one was a backup and one was my original ) were banned .The backup one for " adverting sexual roleplay " and my original for " using an alternate account " . What ?! First of all Roleplay or commonly know as RP has been going on that site for years . i myself was part of the Sonic Fanbase and used to do Roleplay , which means to assume roles either as Sonic characters or Sonic fan characters for example . It does not have to be sexual in nature but that is what exactly people do . they use very sexual and vulgar language when roleplaying in the comments or even in Devianart's personal messaging system know as Notes . Yet according to Devianart's own policies posted in their so called " help desk " Roleplay and sexual art such as porn is not allowed on their site . However the admin clearly has not seen the majority of the art posted on their own sites . The site is overrun with sexual fan art or just sexual art like porn and hentai ! Not to mention so called art pieces that are mediocre at best or just plain not creative or presentable . I do not understand why the admin banned my accounts one of which i had for over 3 years with over 215 followers and over 120,000 favorites . The admin team must be the dumbest people on Earth ! they targeted me and took down my accounts cause of " adverting sexual Roleplay " and " using an alternative account " when clearly there is literary thousands of account that do just that ? why could not Devianart just contact me and suspend my account for a short time and leave my original account alone ? What kind of a company does not even follow their own policies ? Devianart does ! Not to mention their is cyberbullying and hate art everywhere on the sites . and does Devianart do anything to reprimand those abusers ? no ! . I tried to reach out to their so called " customer service " known as their " help desk " but no one ever did respond ! go figure that out . Devianart was once a very good social media site where i felt safe to enjoy fanart and participate in chats about my Fanbase . But those days are over , Devianrt is now just a sexual and mediocre art site with the dumbest admin team ever . from now one i will do everything i can to steer clear of that idiocy of a website and will tell other about my experience dealing with their so called " help desk " and idiots of an admin .

Adult Written byAnthony N. February 14, 2018

No value

When I joined Deviantart in 2009 I wanted to submit art and communicate with other users. Deviantart was not the place for that. While there is good art and decent discussion on the website the majority of the website is not worth viewing, much less being a member of. Harassment and abuse of other users is not only common, but it is rewarded. Users form circles of "friends" to attack and bully other people and they take pride in doing it. You will see submissions of art mocking other members. How it is art I will not understand. The staff will not help you. I have reported several people and nothing has been done. Nudity and sexual content is common. This can be an artistic form of expression if done correctly, but most submissions are trashy. Reddit is much more appropriate and you and your child will be abused far less there. You can expect abusive behavior to be punished there. They also offer art dedicated subforums for you to share and discuss art.

Adult Written byKaroline E. November 11, 2017

I don't know what to even say..

I don't know why there is a lot of nudity/sexualize children art on the website, I didn't even notice that when I was 13 years old, it's seriously a problem to see that......... is it a culture to see naked children in drawing form and photo e.t.c?? this 2017 lol if devianArt won't want to banned them or whatever............................

Adult Written byJameson T October 13, 2017

A place where money rules!

This is the worst website I've been on in my entire life. On this site you can get banned even if you haven't done anything wrong, because it turns out you have gotten an IP address, which before you got it was used to do bad stuff on deviantART and staff won't care that you couldn't know for what that IP address was used there before, staff also doesn't care about fact that dynamic IP addresses do change their owners after some time. Seriously! How am I and others are supposed to know for what this IP address, which each of us have, was used before on deviantART? Sounds like staff wants people to ask if this IP adress they got has a clean or dirty history on dA, before they create an account on deviantART. This isn't the only thing staff doesn't care about! This staff also isn't listening in suggestions! They play like they care about the community, but in the end they still apply changes to this website, which majority didn't wanted! In fact the only thing in which staff is listening is money! As long as they get it, they won't care about the community! Everyone, who ever has said that people, who pay for core membership can do whatever they want, which also includes bullying others, isn't exaggerating. It's true. Pay for core membership and dA staff won't care that you have violated rules on this site! Be careful who you insult on this site, even if you have an excuse to do it, because if you will insult a paying customer or someone, who has connections with dA staff, then it's you who will be banned or suspended, not that paying customer or that someone who has connections with dA staff, even if he should've been banned or suspended, not you! In short if you aren't a rich jerk with a sad life then this isn't a site for you, because that's who are the majority on this site, especially in fanart. Fanartists are the worst community on deviantART, but others aren't much better. You shouldn't waste your time on this site helping other people, because most of them are so ungrateful that they'll treat you like you would be less than a human only because they discovered that you can't do always things for them, whenever they demand! This site is a place where children shouldn't be and although I know parents are very busy I still would ask them to watch sometimes what their children are doing on this site, because writing journals about someone in the name of justice is harassment too or very close to harassment, depends from the content! In short writing a public journal about how bad are other people when they create many accounts to harass others and basing all that on screenshots only or on known IP address, who's owner is unknown is a first step how to commit a crime, especially if your child has mentioned full person's first and last name. If that happens and accused person is innocent then parents should begin to pray the God that accused person can't afford lawyer or won't sue your child in court for distributing false information about a person in public, because then it's you parents who will pay the price for your child's actions, not the child, if child, according to your country's laws isn't in the age in which your child has to answer for his own crimes not parents.

Adult Written byReviews4teens July 1, 2012

Please learn from my mistakes

My 16 yo daughter got involved with this website before I knew much, if anything, about it. I should have trusted my instincts and deleted her account early on. Recently, I held my breath and finally clicked on many of the member's profile pages. Shocked and sickened would describe how I felt knowing that these people were discussing art and their interpretation of life with my daughter. Obscene swearing abounds on some of the profiles and don't even look at their 'favorites'. I clicked on one only to see Sherlock Holmes and Watson doing something that definitely was not in the movie. Yes, that. In addition, there is lots of anger coming from many of the members. Just think about getting tons of confused (and often neglected) teens together and have them all compare notes about all the pain in their lives and on top of that, display all this pain in drawings or paintings or whatever. Well, just enter a search for blood or death and you'll see what I mean. How many ways can one draw pain? There appears to be quite a few. I have to ask some of you out there who say that this site is something that your 6 or 7 year old should view, have you gone there and really dug around the muck? I wish I had done so earlier. I give it 2 stars because the site is set up nicely where one can display his or her work. Some of the art work is beautiful; there are many talented people out there. Otherwise, I would give it a 1 star for low standards. First, for allowing so much profanity and second, for their labeling system. Just labeling something as 'mature doesn't cut it; kids are swearing that they are 18 and clicking on it all; don't assume they are turning a blind eye. And be sure you are monitoring the Notes section. This is where all the fun really happens! Just imagine, talking to someone in another country, and role playing fantastical stories. Just imagine what that can lead to. Believe me, it does lead to some nasty stuff. I have seen it. Deviant Art can be an okay site, but monitor, monitor, monitor.....I cannot stress that enough. Don't be in my position, having to parent reactively. Parent proactively and protect your child.

Adult Written byNicGraigh July 17, 2018

Absurdly protective of Hackers!

Reported a person who openly admitted to hacking, and the site did nothing! Saying she was writing fiction. Mind this comes from the Admin of the site. I can't stress enough the difference between a threat and fiction. The hacker even threatened to hack me if I reported! Seriously? Thats fiction to DA. Don't even go on this site and waste time it isn't worth it. There are better art sites if you want to post art!

Adult Written byDarkOnyx July 1, 2018

A bad site

I admit this site is bad. I have been there since 2013, and I was a traditional artist. I dislike this site because it has too many people cursing, insulting, stealing art, and it gives more care towards digital artists instead of giving it equally to traditional artists. I've been bullied, and insulted in there, that is why I believe that deviantart is the worse site.

Adult Written byC M February 23, 2018

Nudity and sexual images

This site has a mature section that can be accessed by typing in a birthday and email address. Easy for kids to access and doesn't look suspicious. Nude photographs and graphic drawings. This site needs a stronger rating.