Maker community celebrates skill building and creativity.

Parent of an infant year old Written byClassicEducationMama June 14, 2013

Best site for kids I've seen yet!

This is just an incredible site! Kids work on hands on projects to earn merit badges. In my community, kids ages 7-17 all enjoy working on individual projects through this very safe and secure site. Parents can log on and follow all of their child's activity on DIY. The merit badges are super unique and full of fun challenges varying from an Astronomer Badge (Make a Sundial or Build a Model Solar System) to a Medic Badge (Assemble a First-Aid Kit or Make a Stethoscope) to a Puppeteer Badge (Perform a Shadow Puppet Show or Make a Movie with Your Puppets)! New badges and challenges are developed all the time. I say 7 and up because I feel there is nothing inappropriate for that age group on the site. Parent involvement would probably be helpful for some of the challenges depending on the age of the child. (WEAPON ALERT: For parents concerned about violence there are a few badges that do include building various tools including a bow and arrow for the Pioneer Badge and building an air cannon (to shoot marshmallows) for the Rocketeer Badge.) These projects can be easily avoided if they are of any concern.
Teen, 17 years old Written byZeptometer September 3, 2013

I wish I had this before I was a teenager

I give this website high marks. The idea of trying to get kids to explore and find their passions early is something highly commendable, and frankly more and more necessary in today's world. Unfortunately, thanks to the sheltered existence many children have and the education trend de jour, much of our youth go underexposed to learning experiences as basic as making pancakes or drawing something they imagine. DIY is a great way to introduce kids to things that they CAN do if they want to. The self guided aspect allows them to move themselves forward and gain drive and appreciation for the skills they develop, and as they grow older, ideally they will seek other skills to practice. Nervousness about the self-guided nature of the website is to be expected, but DIY is quite transparent, and you can keep up with what your children are posting through your own account. Consumerism is noted because DIY does make and sell badges, which can be very tempting for your maker. On their own they are not particularly expensive, but they can accumulate, and your children might pester you for them. Explain to your children that they can get the badge once they've earned it (either through the site's tracker or your own standard) All in all, DIY.org is something I wish I had been able to use when I was a more appropriate age for it. The site is geared towards 10 through 12 year olds, but an open-minded teenager who doesn't think it's lame because it isn't edgy will do just fine. Speaking of which, all posts must be cleared by the staff before they are published to the site, so while there is nothing stopping an adult from posing as a child, both DIY and you are able to moderate interactions with others. Essentially, if you keep up with your kid's activities, everything will be fine. It's a fantastic experience for your children, and a great opportunity to do something together.
Kid, 12 years old October 14, 2013

the div

it's great and has recipes and has fun chllanges
Kid, 11 years old March 19, 2016

DIY.org is an AMAZING website/app!

I am a member on DIY.org since I was 8, and it is an amazing website! It is also an app, but the website is much less glitchy and it's easier to maneuver around on a PC. It sends out very positive messages and it helps stimulate your mind to learning. But a note to parents: when you kids sign up, DIY will need your credit card number to make sure that your child's account is parent-approved. And also, your child will be tempted to buy patches and other things in the DIY market (www.diy.org/market), so beware of that.
Parent Written byjessicaezra June 28, 2015

'Camp' and 'Counselor' are Misnomers for DIY camps

My son is doing one of DIY's camps, but the folks who run this place don't really do much, other than provide access to assignments that participants do independently. In this case, the camp subscription provides access to a Minecraft server populated by camp participants. Participants do not know the real names or ages of other members and are free to interact - positively and negatively - without guidance or oversight. The 'counselor' does not sign on to the server or participate in the activities. While particants must submit a video in which they pledge not to destroy each other's work, that is the extent of the digital agreement they make. Parents are not involved in or communicated with about any aspect of the kids' online activities. I'm sure there are activities that kids can and should be doing on their own - drawing, for example - but being part of an online social network without adult supervision probably isn't one of them.