All parent member reviews for Facebook

Adult Written byNicoleCaroline March 10, 2012

Facebook for Good or for worse?

I have had a Facebook account sincei was 11 and I reameber my sister saying that if you don't know the person don't add or accept the friend Request and i have never had a problem with Facebook Ever!
Adult Written byMeowhouse February 10, 2012

Facebook needs controls

Facebook needs to be controlled. Cursing and leud behavior are constant; therefore, children 17 and under should not have access to the internet until controls can be put into place. Meantime, report every foul word, inappropriate behavior, and picture. Innundate FB with your reporting.
Parent Written byhelper + February 9, 2012

crap as usual

i hate facebook i hate it and it is crap as usual
Parent Written byTeen Leader February 8, 2012

FB Timeline Safety

I think back to the times when it was safe to leave my bicycle out on the side walk overnight and come to find it right where I left it. Today on Facebook Timeline you can leave a trail of where you been and never know who's stalking you in places you like to visit. Think about that for a moment and tell me I am wrong. So please if you share information with friends make sure it is not public and that you take precautions to safeguard your safety. No Children allowed on FB even if you think you are watching them, they are A'S at the game, so don't play if you care to be outsmarted. Good Luck Parents.
Parent Written bypinayz32 February 6, 2012

face it or not?

i think a lot should not spend so much time on facebook, you may not notice or admit it but you are slowly developing that narcisstic behaviour facebook is causing, the effect of that behaviour depends on the individual, we'll never know, right? i am not against facebook, it's just makes me wonder why a lot should jump on the bandwagon wherein you might loose your privacy, or develop that narcistic behaviour, we can still live a life without joining it or how different i could be to those who've been religiously logging in to facebook?
Adult Written byParranormalHour February 5, 2012

Oh, Facebook how we love to hate you

Facebook can be bad and good. If your kid is sending suggestive photos to their boy/girlfriend you may have an issue. Then theirs cyberbulling which I find the best solution is the easiest, unplug and call the police. Threats are taken at face value and can be used againist the person. Next we have the ad's and friends pictures or posts. The list goes on. If you don't trust you kid for what ever reason let them use facebook but ask to see their profile every once in a while (it works). And finally the girl meets boy who happens to be a man twice her age story, don't trust people you don't see or can't verify their answers. Hope that helps and I don't mean sound so don't trust anyone.
Parent Written byJessie379 February 3, 2012

Only acceptable if you are very vigilant

The problem with Facebook is that you cannot control what other people post, and therefore what your children see. I only allowed my daughter to friend people she knew from school, but even these other children have very nasty language and post pictures and talk about things I don't want her exposed to. Even with her having strict rules about what sorts of pages she is allowed to visit, her friends can share pictures or statuses from forbidden pages. And even though nudity is not allowed by Facebook rules, I have come across many pictures with nudity in them and had to report them, after which they were removed. Unless all your friends are of the same religious and political beliefs as you are, and are as conservative as you are, there are going to be posts and pictures that offend. Posts such as these also stir up heated debates, which can get rather ugly and confrontational. Cyber-bullying is always an issue as well. "Friending" your child on Facebook is not enough, either, if you are going to be vigilant about what they are exposed to, you need to access their accounts periodically and see for yourself what they are posting and what their friends are posting. I allowed my daughter to create an account as soon as she was old enough by Facebook's rules (thirteen), but I wish I had waited a while longer.
Parent Written bySwansong38 January 19, 2012

too trusting of a mom.

well i really regret letting my daughter have a facebook account. She is 13 and i didnt realize how out of control kids can get with language and sex talk. I have a facebook account too but most of my friend are family. Its out of hand now so i have to deactivate her account.
Adult Written by1263761 December 30, 2011

Facebook has done a fantastic job at allowing users to select who they want to see what. Compared to other social networking sites, facebook is arguably the safest around. It promotes connection with people that you know in real life rather than inspiring you to meet total strangers online, as mant other social networking sites do. Like any other website, you must be 13 to sign up, and that is definitely the appropriate age for one to create a facebook account. I would advise against younger children joining though, as many younger kids are unaware of the potential dangers that even the simplest of actions online can pose, and since less of their friends their age are likely to be using the website, they may be tempted to add virtual friends that they do not know personally.
Parent of a 9 and 17 year old Written byKrisCet December 13, 2011

Facebook, blah.

I will never be a facebook fan. I don't want my life out there in the world. Where is the privacy these days.
Parent Written byAdockery908 December 5, 2011

Facebook Review

If your child is at a young age and is on Facebook, just monitor what they do and how they carry your name.
Adult Written bytompov227 November 26, 2011

Facebook

Facebook can be a great place to share videos with Grandma, but it also has sneaky ads, uncensored language, and identity stealing apps that kids should watch out for. Not for use without adult supervision.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written bystarrparrent1 November 24, 2011

you can say anything on facebook!!

my 12 year old has a facebook but she is always careful. you can say ANYTHING on here.
Adult Written byaref hoseini November 11, 2011

good

so good
Parent of a 13, 15, and 17 year old Written byparents4lyfe November 10, 2011

Facebook is the Devil.

Facebook is something my children will never be exposed to. Even as adults. My 16 year old son, almost 17, has BEGGED me to let him get a Facebook and I refuse. It is against my beliefs to do so, and I think kids should spend more time in church than go on such sexually charged website.
Parent Written byBribri25 November 2, 2011

Not the best site.......................................

I freakin signed up for facebook like 2 times and on each of the two accounts... people kept on hacking me and changng my passwords!! >:( Hackers would also change my info saying i was gay!!
Parent Written bykeeping it real October 31, 2011

keeping it real

this place takes time away from kids learning and even adults spend to much time on facebook. relationships fall apart.
Parent Written byl_ellis October 20, 2011

Privacy/Security is a major concern

This site is inappropriate for kids under 17. They should really be aware of various privacy options for protecting themselves.
Adult Written byParis Smith July 21, 2011

Don't be uptight

I have a little sister who is 10 who LOVES Facebook. My parents always watch her posts and chats and make sure she has friends that she knows and that have gone to her different schools. My dad is in the military so we moved around a lot (I speak in past tense because for me I'm going to college) so it's a great way to be able to communicate with her friends in other states, who will also suggest friends of theirs that have recently obtained one. Some people use FB to put tracking cookies or viruses, (which can be combated by Norton security system,) or be malicious and try to learn more about the child so they can harm them, but parents can check and make sure who they're interacting with is safe and friendly. If someone is cyberbullying, or maybe your child is cyberbullying, and you can see it when you check, talk to your kids about it, it will help them stop the bully, or if they're being mean, ask your child why she or he doesn't like that person and tell them it's never good to hurt people mentally or physically, in person or online. There are ads, but you shouldn't really pay attention to those though. Ask your child to report innapropriate ads. Also, you can take off messages if you didn't mean to do something, chats also, but if your child is being cyberbullied the bully is likely to keep insulting. And if one of your friends is their friends and uses language, politely ask if they can stop, and remember to tell your child it's inappropriate, but they should already know that by now. Encourage your child to not spend a long time on there so you can hang out, and help them make a password that noone could think of, like GYT76!!@help write this down somewhere so your kid can remember it. There is innapropriate stuff though, but if you watch your kids they shouldn't really see it (as it will be on people's walls that are not their friends.) Apps such as Vampire Wars, Mafia Wars, Farmville, Fronteirville, and Happy Pets are all kid friendly ( Mafia and Vampire Wars do have violence involved but there are only pictures of bloodied weapons and job names like 'Kill of Werewolf Clan'. Bloodied weapons, (I think) are fine for ages 8+ if you think about video games) All in all, parents can make FB safe for their kids by monitering and checking friends.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bygamereviewer6469 July 16, 2011

Responsible 10 & 11 year olds are FINE!

If you have a responsible 10 year old they can do it, following these rules: 1. Do Not talk to people you don't know 2. Use Appropiate Language 3. Block Cyberbullies If your 10 year old is responsible and follows those rule, he should be FINE. But Parents... CHECK IN EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE! You never know what could happen on facebook, anything can happen.