All member reviews for Google Hangouts

Chat, listen, and learn on Google's communication platform.

Learning(i)

Adult Written byI say... February 1, 2015

LEARNING

Really Good! There are some concerns a parent might have, though...

There are some concerns for parents, though. This is a very good site to use for contacting friends and family. However, when I signed up, I did not know it was linked to Google +, so I explored it. I joined some communities, and that's where the concerns come in. If you are a parent, view your child's communities. If they are in any communities called "Funny" or "Funny Stuff," I would view these to see if they are appropriate. I can't guarantee they will be. Also, cyber bullying can happen. If your child chooses to post things on Google +, there is a drop menu that will able you to disable the comments. That way, nobody can comment nasty or harmful things on his or her posts. If you would rather they did not post to the public, you can switch the post to "private." Keep in mind that anyone can see your child's profile and add them to their circles , allowing them to start a hangout or even a video chat with your child. If this occurs, you can block that person so it won't happen again. Have your child let you know if any bullying occurs. Make sure they tell you before they start a video chat and who is in their hangouts. Keep in mind that there are hackers out there who will try to steal their identity, so don't let them use their first and last name. They might also hack into their camera so the hackers can see them through their camera and steal their identity. Try covering up your child's camera when it isn't in use. If there are any other concerns you have before signing your child up, explore the site. I can't guarantee there isn't sexting or violence, but so far I haven't seen any. There is lots of swearing, and if a person swears on your child's post, have them tell you immediately so you can delete the post and block that person so your child can't view his or her comments. Thanks for reading my overly long review, and I hope it helped you decide.
Kid, 10 years old June 8, 2014

LEARNING

Cool

You can chat with friends and family. You can also video chat. Say your child's best friend moves away. They can get Gmail accounts and keep in touch easily.