Parent reviews for IMVU

Sophisticated chat world has sexual content.

Adult Written byFishlover April 9, 2008
Adult Written byjste383 April 9, 2008

Ignoring their Adult users

IMVU is alienating their adult users. While they do have the Access Pass, they have removed all items that an Adult would want to access. They are trying very hard to make the site a pg-13 site at the cost of their adult users. While there are a number of safeguards in place to protect children, IMVU has done all they can on this front, a parent should watch what their children are doing on the entire internet... Including this site.
Adult Written bySpabon75 April 9, 2008
Adult Written bygemmamm April 9, 2008

My experience of IMVU

I decided to try this after seeing an advert for this on myspace, and I wasn't that impressed. Although I came across a few nice people the majority of them where very horrible and rude or people who seemed to think it was real. Alot of people on it are after 'cyber' or just to upset people, and theres abit of a sleazy feel sometimes, so I wouldn't recommend it for under 16's. Theres users who have boy/girl friends and even get married on imvu, which I think is rather sad in my opion, as I get the impression they mustn't have a life outside the net. On a plus side its alright when you meet someone normal, you can customize your avatar and myspace style homepage, (but you have to pay for alot of features), however I felt the negatives outweighted the positives and deleted my account.
Adult Written bycvargas74 April 9, 2008
Adult Written bykeane_ctx April 9, 2008

Unfit for minors period

Do you have a teenager using this site? I have seen enough to make me want to leave IMVU. I am a paying adult on this site. I have seen GROWN men and women solicit teenagers into 3D sexual chats, some of them joking openly about it on their page. If you are a parent and your teen is on this site--PLEASE stop them or monitor everything they do. Give yourself plenty of time to search around the site yourself, see what you come across.
Adult Written byalexo 9 April 9, 2008
Adult Written by4llure April 9, 2008

Lets Play Dress UP?

The only thing i found good about IMVU is the amount of options to dressing your 'cartoon/doll'. You can express your self on IMVU is a large or small fashion, If one is shy they have no worries on being in public rooms and such unless they wish to be, If someone is very open and Social, they have many options to get their name out there. Sad to say though, there is MUCH Drama between the teens and even the Developers on IMVU. It is like HollyWood Drama in fact. If you are happy with minding your own , or even getting in the mix of others messes IMVU is a place to be. Be careful to not get so involved you forget wht REAL life is. *cheers*
Adult Written bywild thing April 9, 2008

It's extremely boring

I've been a member for a few years but have found myself enjoying it less. Initially, I joined as part of a 14 person sign-up of real life, personal friends who happen to be 3D content creator/developers for the movie studios and the gaming industries. In Spring 2007, IMVU got an Unsatisfactory BBB rating due to how poorly it treats members' actual and virtual content. Billing disputes were the name of the game - I gave up and let them steal my $70+ overcharge for stuff not bought and sales of my products they never credited my account for. Kids sneaking into the adults chats has become a huge problem when they opened up Public Sex Chat Rooms in late 2007 around the time the founder quit and the capital venture guys who own the place sent in a new management team. There are easy technological ways to handle such adult - teen issues as Second Life has shown us by firewalling the two communities with separate, non-interactive servers. But noo... . IMVU won't listen to common sense. I'm the only one of my real life friends left out our original 14 person join-up three years ago. There's no harmony amongst members and amongst staff as well. Most of the top quality developers have left to greener pastures, so the overall quality of the virtual catalog has plummeted like a stone. And the current EULA and TOS are an MBA case-study in corporate buffoonery. Oh, and they don't even post recommended system requirements - that's because IMVU requires substantially more expensive hardware and software to run its 3D graphics than 95 out of 100 Americans own. Naturally - IMVU doesn't wish to scare away new members with this detail. In sum, I doubt they'll stay in business much longer. IMVU really lives in its own world and it's a tiny world to which their members and their industry can no longer relate.