Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for IMVU

Sophisticated chat world has sexual content.

Adult Written byJaxeag July 17, 2018

I've had more intelligent conversations on IMVU than I read in these reviews.

Not to be rude, but after scrolling down at these comments I decided to write a review. For any parent who is honestly just looking for an answer, yes this website is suitable for 12 years and up.

Heres how it works:
Your kid picks an avatar that will be them. If they are into writing this is actually an AWESOME opportunity because 'role-play' means you pick a character (you can dress it up) and then you write out their actions etc.
Parents, come on now. Get your adult brains out of the gutter! Roleplaying things like vampire vs vampire hunter...Dragon ball z etc. IF you are a parent and they want to go on this site i would not forbid it.

As a senior studying psychological sciences, I can promise you they will find a way just because your making such a stink about it. Then do you know what they will do? They will be on hyper alert for whats wrong.

This is where the potential problems come in Depending on your child and what they have been exposed to there are cases of creepy (uneducated) people who will right away flirt.
1. Usually these people are doing a hit and miss.
2. I was around during yahoo chat and learned a lot of stuff i wish my parents told me
3. This is a safe place for them to experience something they will experience very soon in this modern world. and i mean it

So how as a parent can you trust this site.

What I recommend (I was raised with hyper aware helicopter mommy) is that you first have a discussion with your child about the internet and people who flirt etc. As someone who grew up sneaking onto yahoo chat i will say that IMVU is absolutely nothing of that scale. Like someone said before it is what you make of it

Personally, I search for role-plays, and hangouts. Good conversation. But let me tell you something...comapred to the other sites out there...you are in safe hands with IMVU. someone said something about money and a cheat...she had to have googled IMVU and clicked some weird website because I had to call in when i tried to use a prepaid debit card because it was different from my own. they want to hear you voice and have you take a photo of you ID Etc. to verify it is you. The ability to use a cellphone to pay for credits is not available in America because kids would use it without parents permission. I am C0rruptedbutters on IMVU (ironic yes) and if you or your kids need any help send me a message. I know this modern world is hectic and seemingly crazy....but i am really concerned for parents who try to control their kids online because they will
literally
go
looking
for
what
could
be
wrong.

just a google search "why is my mom so afraid of me going on-line" actually brings up disgusting content that i can promise you won't find on IMVU

Have fun, be safe, and create your own world with your creative writing!

Adult Written byHeyListen July 12, 2018

Know What you're getting yourself into.

Starting on that site I was 11, and now it's been a good decade and I've quit, I was a growing creator. Now let me tell you before you go and jump the gun, when anyone who hasn't been on the site (for the right reasons), will assume IMVU is associated with sexual themes. If you can control yourself and go into GA (general Audience) rooms and take care of yourself, not sharing personal information and just chatting with strangers, then that's completely fine. There are apporpriate rooms you can look for... for example I like gaming and anime, I'll search in the bar "anime, chill, games" and you will get rooms that show up with those tags, meaning their intentions as well.

Were you to search "sexy, hot, naked" then you're trying to look for trouble. I can say that most times when you've decided to randomly enroll yourself in a "instant" chat, and you get paired up with a creep asking ASL (Age/Sex/Location). By any means you are NOT required to answer this person, you can avoid putting yourself into those unwanted situations were you to just leave, find another room.

Although it is filled with idiots, goons and fiends.. Like really all you need is common sense and morals. If you respect yourself enough you wouldn't go into a chatroom that would be 18+

As many others have said before in order for anyone to see AP (access pass) anything, this entails PVC, thongs, cleavage, nudity, sexual themes, nipples etc, then you pay a once in a life time price of $20 for the AP. Then when you see rooms were you to own an AP, you would see the letters on the chat picture. This means you are putting yourself into a room and situation where you know people could be wearing sexy things and talking about stuff of the sort.

I as being a creator I had my own personal fun by making my own rooms, buying furniture and making my own space, it was like my thing. So again before you bash on it, you should teach your kids not to be so gullible.
So you may not like the avatars, well the truth behind that is, some people dunno how to dress their avies, some people do. You may not like someone cussing.

If you spot anything inappropriate and it doesn't fit the rules of the room you are in then you are more than welcomed to report the persons at fault. But if you have real trust issues with your kids, you can stoop so low and put a keylogger in. That way you will see where they go and what they type, and if you see that your child is lying through their teeth, and are putting themselves in potential danger and exposure to sexual themes... then by all means have everything in your power to disable that app.
**You should blacklist it from your firewall/anti-virus, so they can't access it**
Adult Written byxXShimmerPassionXx July 9, 2018

IMVU is Ok....

I don’t think IMVU would really be for kids or tweens under 12, but I definitely would recommend it for teens over 14 and 15. It’s a 3D virtual world where you can do whatever.

Adult Written byCynthia F. June 14, 2018

IMVU IS THE DEVIL

I don't think it's the actual devil but my daughter developed such an addiction she stole my credit cards and her grandparents credit cards to buy gift cards and sign up for other things to get credits. She has to use a computer for homework. I thought i had that computer so locked down and apparently my daughter was smarter than i thought. I am the administrator on it and she figured how to get into my side and use it. The times I have been on to check and see what she was doing i never saw anything. Her reports I got showed her on the computer on her log in but she was all so on my log in. So she would do homework then go to my side and play it. She found out how to delete only certain things off the history and that's how it was undetected. she did not have access to the computer other than for home work which she was only allowed two hours a night. apparently she was playing it on a friends phone at school then randomly at our house. These kids that already have issues are scared to be themselves in person to friends. But on this game they can be anyone they want. As well as the person they are talking too. I trolled my daughter and even after several conversations about online safety i basically got her to give me her address on a thread and not in a private chat. I've been able to access these chats. It's all sexual. These kids can also get the instant gratification of people caring. (even though we show it every day we care) These kids put on there how depressed they are. How lonely they are. They want to kill themselves and you will see a rush of other kids trying to talk them out of it. She was trying to fill a void she could not get from us and in person with friends. I can't believe IMVU uses other mediums to get credits. Sign up for this program get credits. Get gift cards to other business get credits. Do surveys get credits. She was stealing our cards to buy those things to continue to play but she could not get money from us. You judgy people on here can blame the parents only so much. At some point it's just the kids and there is nothing you can do. I've voiced my opinion to them and I will continue to voice my opinion and my story to anyone who will listen. My daughter will probably be going back to another facility to help with her issues. Up until then we've decided to not press charges at this moment and she's currently looking for a job to pay off the charges we did not get reimbursed for. Even though this is actually the 4th time with stealing our cards we or going to cut her a break this one last time. If it happens again she will go to jail. I've also taken screen shots from chats where her "friends" have suggested she do it to help them get credits. I will report them to IMVU as well.

Adult Written byAnonymous R. June 12, 2018

Content & Social / Roleplay Not Apporiate for those Under 18.

I think imvu should not be allowed for those under 18. minors can get hurt by pedofiles for one signing up with wrong age and birthdate. a lot of people are creeps and parents should not let their kids on it. due to sexual content and more adults on it that is bad. however imvu does have a teen section server. i joined imvu when i was 17 and signed up with all the correct info. i think it is important for parents to limit their kids internet time and if they have imvu to check it once or twice a week because something bad could be going on without the parents knowing. the content like AP which is for those 18 +! Minors should never get AP because this content is not meant for them. I didnt get AP until i was 19. other then the AP issue. privacy by hackers sending scam links for your account leads to them hacking and taking over the account. many have lost their accounts due to it. also in the adult server of imvu Cyber Bullying happens a lot. example idiots of imvu tumblr blog is one example of cyber bullying amongst other blogs that promote bullying and making fun of imvu users. all i ask is for parents to not let their kids play IMVU. IT IS NOT A GAME! ITS A 3D CHAT WORLD! REAL PEOPLE BEHIND THE AVATARS WITH REAL FEELINGS! ROLEPLAYING IS FOR THOSE WHO LIKE TO WRITE STORIES AND BE CREATIVE WHICH ALSO INVOLVES SOME SEXUAL CONTENT! PARENTS PLEASE WATCH YOUR KIDS ON THE INTERNET TO PROTECT THEM!

Adult Written byLeahB 3 May 25, 2018

Been on here for 9 years

Its definitely not suited for kids and access pass requires photo ID proof now to be sent to moderators. People have lied about their age or location but they get caught
Adult Written byKaayKaay L. May 25, 2018

things kids shouldn't do

it's not a good game for 13 year olds to play they have cussing, naked people, people who ask for nude pictures and private info. they also have people who have guns and etc. i only played the from when i was 13 and it was safe back then. i wouldn't trust the surveys on the webste to give you credits because they ask you for personal info.

Parent Written byErrcf V. April 13, 2018

It is horrible.

Do not allow your children to lose sight of reality on this app. It quickly turns young girls and boys into attention seeking morons,that seriously believe that They're famous!!

Adult Written byD0CILE B. April 12, 2018

Concerned Parents: Read This

I am a seasoned user of IMVU, having been on the site for 7 years. As I've read through these reviews, it seems the main concerns can be broken down into 2 main categories: privacy, and sexual content.

PRIVACY:
Many other reviews touched on privacy concerns. There are no inherent privacy issues with IMVU, and how much information you share with people you chat with is entirely up to the user. It's always important to talk about privacy with your children and discuss what information is safe and appropriate to share with other users. In my time using the app, I have never once felt obligated to share any information, and even when people specifically asked if I wanted to cam chat, a simple "no" was all it took. If you're worried about someone pressuring your child into chatting over webcam applications like skype, or giving out their phone number, it will set your mind at ease to know that that is extremely uncommon, and simply educating your child on safe internet use will clear that up anyway. As I said before, there's nothing inherently unsafe about IMVU, and all private information is up to the user to share.

SEXUAL CONTENT:
As for the sexual content, yes, many teens do use the site for ERP (erotic roleplay), but once again, this is the choice of the user. It's also worth mentioning that virtual goods used across the platform are suitable for general audiences, and even the items that straddle that border line are pretty tame. The more explicit sexual items and themes are locked behind a pay wall which IMVU calls their Access Pass, and you aren't obligated to buy it at any point in your usage of the platform. The Access Pass allows only adult-aged users to view, buy, and use sexually-themed items from the virtual catalog. In terms of virtual goods, you don't have much to worry about as IMVU has a strict guidelines about what is considered GA. Any virtual clothing for your avatar must meet a minimum coverage guideline that ensures that no avatar who doesn't own the Access Pass can ever be completely naked. As for rooms, furniture, and poses, you don't have much to worry about either. Some furniture items will feature poses for your avatar which load upon use, but those poses are also bound by GA guidelines, so the most you have to worry about are kissing poses.
As for sexual themes in conversations among users, it's pretty unavoidable. IMVU does not control what its users talk about, including swearing and sexual themes. However, not everyone using the site is using it for ERP or other similar activities, and it's even more uncommon among teens. You'll also be happy to know that IMVU is age-gated across the platform, and no adult users can seek out minors to engage with. Everyone 18+ has their own server, and everyone under-aged are on a protected server. Of course, there are always going to be people who lie about their age, so again, talk to your kids about internet safety.

All in all, IMVU is essentially just a chatting site where you can also make an avatar and explore 3D environments where you can interact with other users. It's like a sandbox, and how it's used is up to the user. As long as you talk to your children about safe practices when online, there should be no issues.

One last thing I would like to touch up on in this review is the virtual goods and currency. IMVU is free-to-play, so users can absolutely use the site for free if they chose. The money comes into play when users want to buy virtual items for their avatars or chat rooms. IMVU runs on a virtual currency called credits. $1 = 1,000 credits. With most items in the catalog costing around 300-800 credits, you can see how things get expensive pretty quickly. There are ways for users to earn free credits, but these tend to be a little unreliable and they don't always work or pay out. IMVU also has a few other upgrades for your account, which can be a little pricey, so keep that in mind.

Adult Written byAnita C. April 6, 2018

Not For Children

I'm 29 now, started using IMVU six years ago when I was 23. I've said from the get-go this program is not for children, and I'm a parent of two boys ages 4 and 9. IMVU is suppose to be for ages 13+, yes, but I'd never let my children on it then, and even at 18, I'd just prefer they never used it or at least I didn't know when they are adults.

To highlight one good point, is 17 and under has their own section of IMVU. In other words, their chat rooms on the general chat room feed do not appear on 18+ feeds. We see entirely different chat rooms listed. This however does not stop 17 and unders potentially coming into contact with adults. Due to home pages, badges, forums, and other features of IMVU which are not gated off, I regularly see 17 and unders on my home page, and have had some try to contact me through the inbox messaging system. If an adult were to add a child to their friends list as well, they could follow them into any general audience rated adult room they are presently in, or invite them to private chat. So, if you are worried about your child speaking with adults, there's very real potential it could happen.

However that is not the big reason I'm against IMVU for children. IMVU has a HIGHLY sexual driven community. There is three ratings for adults of chat rooms, General Audience, Access Pass, and Unfit for IMVU. Access Pass, also in the older days called Adult Pass, allowed you to more sexual content and clothing, though wasn't ever meant to grant you outright sexual privileges. That would be what UFI sexual content is, but it's very much a part of IMVU's day to day AP chats. Never the less, you can only obtain Access Pass by purchase and sending in a photo ID of yourself to their customer service. So you might think sexual content is highly gated! However you'd be wrong. I see plenty of sexual content in General Audience 18+ rooms. Even BDSM and strip club GA rooms which are pretty popular. You can find lingerie that's GA with ease in the catalog now, you don't even need to AP to have a nearly naked avatar, which was not the case when I joined. They've become much more lax with their rules. So, why does IMVU even have a UFI category if it's nearly allowed? They have financial backing with family companies such as Wal-Mart, Target, Family Dollar, and other stores that sell their pre-paid cards.

With all that in mind, I personally feel half the adult community is there for sexual role play or activities. You can even look up user reviews from glassdoor.com where the employees (ex and current) tout the same, some not even wanting to add the site to their resumes.

In total, the sexual aspect of this site is just not right for children. A few other things to note would be marijuana is now a general audience theme. If you're worried about consumerism, that's the vast majority of what this site is about, purchasing items to construct a fantasy world and character, though this is also a great creative outlet for artists and people who enjoy it. Swearing and privacy? Well it's the internet. Let's not even pretend that's not a thing everywhere online. Teach your kids to stay safe and not give out their personal information. I'd say IMVU does well guarding it's user's safety as long as the user isn't volunteering that information.

Adult Written byxXCookie G. April 4, 2018

I'm not a parent, but I do have a mom that is always on it and rather listens to those (could be) fake people than me (who is in her life).

She is always on that stupid game. Yeah here and there she tends to listen, but cuts me off short when I talk to her about my stresses/depression. It's now hard for me to even tell her how much pain I've been and when I try to talk to her it seems harder than it should be. There is times I've told her many times, but then she ignorantly states that she would listen if I called her name because "she didn't know" that I was talking to her about my problems and believed I was talking to our cat. But it's like every time I get her attention she either is acts super-annoyed, brushes me off because she is reading an "important" thing, or she is dealing with those people who aren't important in her life. I've already had my stepdad talk to her, but she never changes and I feel like I don't want to trust talking to her about advice or anything. Once we had a huge argument because I told her off that she does this and she always says she doesn't ignore me. I love my mom, but it's harder to even stay connected with her. I've already had mental breakdowns because when I do talk about something serious with her, she stares at her screen, laughs at "funny" crud those people put, and starts typing. I tried the game, but it is so boring and stupid that I quit the same week. I don't know how else to deal with her. Yeah, parents need their "time" from being a parent, but all she did my past time in school was on computer. I wish I could give this a 0 star for the worst game ever. :(

Adult Written byKayKay c. March 2, 2018

for kids who are not 13

tbh it's not a good game for 13 year olds they have sex,cursing,naked females,naked males, i wouldn't recommend 13 year olds play this game wait until they are 18.

Adult Written byMarek K. February 19, 2018
Parent Written byLydia C. December 22, 2017

great graphics, the rest is plain trash!

Its got beautiful graphics, but the ability to "adopt" children, especially girls, that look like they're grown women, dressed quite provocatively I might add, is VERY disturbing! They are just very small grown women, with women's bodies and makeup and pacifiers. and you can "adopt" them. With the enormous problem we have with sex-trafficking and pornography, our children don't need to even start on this!!

Adult Written byMatthew X. November 9, 2017

I usually play a lot but but unsafe game

One day playing, my dad busted me for playing this. The pose is so disturbing. i found some boys pretend to be girl. i did the same too to experiment it. My house was very fancy in imvu. But i found out it is not safe so i quit. It good to make friend in united state, do not provide detail of where you live, one research, they can find you, under 16 should not play! It very inappropriate, go play sim 4. I played this 3 years but quit because it was getting unsafe. the girl i hang out with different girl always kiss pose with my virtual character. Some people look very ugly,they tell their name to me and i can see how fat and crappy they are on Facebook . be careful and play safer game.the parents who make the review and let your kids plays is dumb and stupid. yes i am about to join the police force. There is 10000000 sexual predators that use fake name to hide their identity not just male, female,too. Gangster can played too. Got to think before signing up for the game, remember!

Adult Written bykarina k. September 5, 2017

dangerous for children

I didn't notice the app on my 13 years olds phone until I found an explicit photo in her album, the photo led me to the IMVU chat room where she had been asked repeatedly to send nude photos to someone in Australia. She thankfully didn't but clearly she almost did. He was very persuasive, he was without a doubt grooming her. He claimed to be 15 but who knows?! I have now removed the phone.

Adult Written byJen C. July 5, 2017

Rip off and no way to monitor

There is no way for parents to monitor their kids on this game

Adult Written byJ A June 18, 2017

Over all horrible company

Overall this game company is horrible. They steal from their users and over charge for everything. The community itself is extremely toxic. Their game constantly crashes and lags out. They aren't worried about bettering their product for the users. They are just an overall greedy company that just wants its user's money any way it can get it. People's accounts are constantly getting hacked and the company doesn't do anything about it.

Adult Written byErin M. April 11, 2017

IMVU is relatively safe, but...

I'm 27 and have been using imvu on and off for 10 years. There is a lot of violence and sex in the imvu world but it can be avoided if parents take the time to monitor what kids do. If you're a parent, talk to your child before letting them download imvu about how much they're sharing online and what they share. Parents need to realize that this is a chat client, not a game. Your kids will be talking to people, sometimes from around the world, that they don't know. The game also is used as an excuse for quite a lot of cyberbullying, so those are things you need to speak about to your kids. The sexual content is typically only unlocked by the purchase of a token which verifies the user's age as over 18 and another purchase called Access Pass--but be warned that ANYONE can purchase an upgrade and give it to your child. If you're a kid or teen user, you need to know you'll face a lot of pressure when you first join to make your avatar look cool, and sometimes people will forget that there is a human with feelings behind the avatar, because they treat imvu as a game.

Adult Written bySW B. November 8, 2016

PERVERTS EVERYWHERE!

DON'T LET KIDS PLAY THIS:

- PERVETS!
- GROOMING!
- ADULT SEX!
- VIOLENT!

DON'T FALL IN THE TRAP! STAY AWAY.