Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for IMVU

Sophisticated chat world has sexual content.

Adult Written byDavid H. September 7, 2016

imvu customerservice and imvu

imvu was crap the customer service is utter rubbish
Adult Written bychengyan August 5, 2016

Best

Best game ever

Parent of a 15 year old Written byjennifero6 January 5, 2016

Sexual content and not monitored

Avatars are able to perform various adult acts. Clothing and language is explicit. Users are not always who they say that they are

Adult Written byFymatdsrio November 13, 2015

Stephen Hawking runs better than IMVU

- IMVU has a lot of issues... They spend money on useless features and haven't fixed many of the more important issues/added useful features that many users have voiced that they would like.

- IMVU is not a great place for children. Definatly 17+ at the very least, depending on the maturity of the person.

- It's good for learning if you have an artistic inclination and can afford to become a developer. I've made quite a bit of money of the years by developing.

Adult Written byAccaliab October 28, 2015

A virtual world for adults

Imvu is a virtual world where users can buy virtual items to customize their avatar. In this virtual world users chat with other users on the internet from all over the world. I myself have been a user for four years as of this review.
The good:
The shop is really fun and I love dressing up my avatar.
There are thousands of chatrooms available based on my current needs. I can go to beach in virtual reality when it's freezing cold outside, or I can relax in a sauna, or I can rock out to music in a club.
You can meet people from around the world without ever leaving your house.

The bad
-Users can pay for an "access pass" which gives them access to explicit content. The reason this is bad is because this content somehow manages to slip into the general audiences content.
-Too much swearing. People swear like a sailor on this game.
-13 year olds can join this game. This usually leads to a lot of virtual drama and fighting.
-Too many things are blocked so that you're either going to have to get a vip subscription, buy credit cards which are only available in the united states, or do free surveys that don't even work half the time.
Ap chatrooms are very explicit with drinking, drugs, smoking, and cyber sex.

I personally think that no one under the age of 17 should be allowed to join.

Adult Written byAstrid Griffin Blake August 29, 2015

imvu

I hate imvu but I am just giving you my opinion of how I feel about it...
Imvu in my opinion is for age 15 to 18 and higher... If you are okay with your child playing this game then you must know there is LOADS AND LOADS of swearing, violence and stuff like that. What I hate the most is how parents always check on what their child is doing! Just talk to them and tell them what will happen if they do it!

Adult Written byLarsD August 24, 2015

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

The site claims to be 13+ but the very advertising of the site contains sexual undertones (google image search "imvu ads" to get the idea) and the nature of the service is absolutely no different. The service relies on user generated content and because IMVU caters to that which sells there are references to alcohol, drugs, and sex plainly available everywhere. This is in no way acceptable for children. Beyond that their terms of service plainly informs you that you can be held financially responsible (via your payment information, should you link it to your account at any time), without your express consent, for INTERNAL "fees":

"You are expressly agreeing that IMVU is permitted to bill you for the applicable Fees you may incur in connection with your use of this Service and the Fees will be billed to your credit card, PayPal or other payment method designated on your initial registration with this Service, and thereafter at regular intervals for the remainder of the term of these Terms. If you dispute these charges at any time, IMVU has the right to contest the dispute and you acknowledge that IMVU may furnish all details of the transaction to the governing body. If you cancel your account at any time, you will not receive any refund. If you have a balance due on any account, you agree that IMVU may charge such unpaid Fees to your credit card or otherwise bill you for such unpaid Fees."

I have personally encountered abuse from this company. Be VERY wary about what information you give them.

Adult Written byA NAME THAT EXISTS August 21, 2015

I've been on IMVU for 9 years

I signed up for IMVU when I was 13 years old in 2006, I'm almost 23 now. I told the truth about my age because I believe that was the requirement. Even though I played so long I can't say if it was worse then or now. In 2006 adults and kids could be in the same room and do AP actions. I remember strip clubs and bikinis on the beach. Somehow those were the only rooms I went to and I always made sure I was in a room with more than 3 people because it's just boring and weird with 1 person and that right there can get you into trouble. IMVU was like a place you can do everything you can't do in real life. And that's how it should be. Experience craziness and bad things online will teach you not to do it in real life. That was the lesson I learned from it. Online you should be able to do anything as long as you don't bring it to real life or hurt people, unless they want to be hurt?. I didn't have any relationship on there and I still haven't now because things like that should only happen in real life even if you connect with that person you shouldn't do it. Anyways I left that game for a few years because I needed to study hard to complete my dream and I did! so I came back recently and it's really interesting to watch how everyone behaves. Everyone says this game is not educational but it is, now there are a lot of foreign people there and if you see them say the same things over and over you could learn their language because hello, they are just saying the same stuff you say, just in their own code they learned while growing up. It also teaches you to not be like the people on there. Not to get addicted or try to find people to date or use money on the site because all the time on the pulse, peole are complaining they dated or trusted someone and spent a lot of money on them but they cheated, this stuff happens in real life but yea same stuff happens on here and there is always some VIP/AP person complaining they are bored. I ask VIP/AP life is boring? Glad I didn't waste my money to find out. I am proud to say that I have not spent more than $10 on IMVU. I just bought a name token for $1.00 during an awesome sale in like 2007 and glad I did because I wanted to become a developer and don't even need VIP because I'm an old member, how nice right. I don't use it but if the site is still up then maybe I will when I turn 60 and retired and have nothing to do because honestly I think that's the people that truly should be online so they can find other elders to talk to and relax because they have worked hard their lives, not playing on computer all day and complaining as a young person. For now I will just watch the people on the pulse and occasionally in the rooms while I work because it's pretty weird and interesting how everyone behaves like it's real life. I think something is wrong with them all and hope they will get help. I sometimes wish I can help but that would require getting to know the person so they finally listen to me tell them to stop it's not real and you know this. The reviews on this site are equally as interesting. I'm glad to be born at the time I was to enjoy all this. Lol. Perfect! I just hope everyone continues to be idiots and spend their money on the game to keep the site up because it provides me with great entertainment.

Adult Written bylacayal August 15, 2015

imvu codes

NICE! I was given this IMVU credit code and it was legit! giveaway is going on here http://.imvu.creditcodes.net

Adult Written byaveryc2 August 8, 2015

Not safe

This is not a safe website for kids who's 11 and under have the website ban your child's account and flag the older person he/she is talking to. Btw they sad bad words and s-e-x.

Adult Written byAveryC 1 July 10, 2015

Not good for under 18

This game is not for 17 year olds it should be for only 18 year olds & not for 15 year olds & flag the older adults who they have come in contact with.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byayanaf June 7, 2015

its a social media website

Imvu is a website where people meet. Imvu put kids 13-17 by themselves so they can be with people around their age. Imvu is just like instagram and Facebook. If you let your kids be on those social media website, then you can let them be on Imvu. Plus, they block all the sex and drugs for kids who are 17 and under. They only thing is that they cost too much.

Adult Written byPonisQ March 27, 2015

liuliuka

Parent Written byAmandaD 2 January 21, 2015

It's not for kids

I am 25 I have been on there for 7 years. Since I beennon there I have never been asked for my number or adress. But the creeps are on imvu I have seen them. And yes imvu is a lot of sexual content. A person has to be 18 and has to have age proved. In order to go into the rooms. But there are people all over the world you can learn different languages, learn from people all over ther world. And you can also learn how to create stuff on line.

Adult Written byhannah peace January 17, 2015

unjust company with no customer service at all

First major thing which went wrong was when I addidenlty bought two name tokens. I tried to find away of telling IMVU first but there was no options. thankfully I paid via paypal so i did it through them for a refund. But IMVU never got back in touch which I ended up needing to escalate the claim. Pay Pal ended up deciding in my favour

Then two weeks later, after receving my refund I tried logging into my account to found it has been disabled for 0 days (whatever that means) With also no reason why. This has been since Novermber 2014 now its Jan 2015. I've even tried flooding their facebook page with my problem but nothing at all.

Worse still I bought a year V.I.P on the 14th of feb 2014. which will run out 14th of feb 2015. So tencially i've also lost out on money and it really wasn't cheap. I URGE anyone to stay clear from this site or at least don't waste your money. My heart goes out to anyone who runs into problems with them.

(Also I'm not a child but it wouldn't let me post when filling it in (I'm in my 20's))
Parent Written byVioletta S.V January 7, 2015

very bad game for kids and even teens

ok so i found my daughter playing this game when she was 12 year old! She also recommended her friends to play this! I wanted to try it and i thought it was for tweens but not! There you can go to chat rooms so you chat with others! Also you can buy stuff in the shop but the outfits are way too "sexy"! I dont recommend this game for kids under 17! It is mostly for adults! Please dont play this game(if it is a game!

Adult Written byMike M July 28, 2014

IMVU is the chatting experience you wish never existed.

I have been on IMVU since 2010. I must say that it is best to stay away from it, regardless of your age. If used properly, IMVU can be worthwhile, but the majority of users do not go on IMVU looking to form actual friendships and have light chats. IMVU is breeding grounds for brutal bullying. Users like to instigate arguments and use foul language; no swear words or insults are off limits, and there are no filters. If you are not a paid member, you will often get mistreated, harassed, and called a "noob," in addition to getting booted out of chat rooms. This is amplified by the idea that users can use "mean" actions such as slapping without the consent of other users. IMVU is littered with cliques, with the "emos" grouping together, and the "furries" doing the same, and then there are the "preps." This division makes it difficult to interact with a wide variety of people. Furthermore, several chat rooms are themed after strip clubs or kinky fetish chambers, singles rooms, or "gay/lesbian only" rooms. You will probably witness sex chat if you go on IMVU as well. A lot of the actions and gestures in the chat are sexual or romantic in nature. Users can initiate make out sessions and french kisses. Much of the clothing and accessories are sexually suggestive in nature. "Couples" actions and striptease dances can be purchased at the Shop, too. Although, an Access Pass (for users over the age of 18) is required to view most adult content. Safety and privacy is also a major concern on IMVU. However, users are solely responsible for the information they divulge during chat. What is frustrating about IMVU is that the opportunities to earn more "credits" (which is currency used to purchase content for your avatar) are just scams. Most of the content in the client must be paid for as well, so it is not an interesting choice if you are looking for a 100% free chat environment. The only good thing about IMVU is that the customization options are endless, with millions of user-created items to choose from. Do yourself a favour and avoid this one!

Parent of a 1 and 13 year old Written bybugmenot April 27, 2014

Graphic and Slightly Disturbing

I don't know where to start... Just DON'T GET ON THIS SITE. Please. First off, to all of you IMVU-players, who are raving about "omG DEH SITE IS t0TALLY SAF3!!1!1!! tHe AGE LimIT OMG HELLO", it's 2014. For heaven's sake, kids bypass EVERYTHING. I'm willing to bet at least a fifth of Facebook's users are below 13. The Internet is so easy to fool, and think for a second. This site has freaking NUDITY and freaking S*X. And though yes, you DO need an access pass, and there are probably a few censors, oh god. Have you seen the CLOTHING, on that site?!

This review doesn't even cover half of what goes on in that site.

All said, great art... o-o But still not a good enough reason to play.

Try OurWorld.com, if you have tp try another world...

Adult Written byrlndBrks December 14, 2013

Quick information shadow of IMVU

The amount of positive messages are scarce if not rare. very little violence happens. There often is much swearing among users. There are too many ads trying to get you to buy into VIP. Sometimes some users do get their account hacked so user beware of hackers.

Parent of an infant and 1 year old Written by.KateRose. November 24, 2013

IMVU - Great for teens 14/15! :)

IMVU is possibly the best 3D chat world for anyone 14 and up! I've been on since I was 14, and in the 6 years iv'e been there, I saw everything! I know that there is a lot of sexy, skimpy clothes and poses, but your kids will find out about all that stuff anyway... (Yeah, i'll spare the details) It's part of life! It's actually really fun, and it has age groups (2 in fact) so adults can't really interact with your teen/teenagers. In-fact you don't have to worry much when your teens go on IMVU! So stop fretting, or your hair will fall out, and you'll get wrinkled :)