Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for IMVU

Sophisticated chat world has sexual content.

Adult Written byIMVUdon January 1, 2011

Too easy to get adult material.

It is too easy to get adult material for IMVU. There are many codes and stuff you can get for nudity / intercourse. This site for example provides those things for IMVU: www.imvumafias.org

Parent of a 15 year old Written byGuestAccount November 4, 2010

Not appropriate for impressionable children.

As a long time user of imvu I feel I need to point out a management flaw in the way the service is run. Instead of fixing long standing existing bugs in the client, they continue to add new features, many that the users scream they do not want. Until imvu gets their act together, it is not a wise investment of anyone's money. If someone needs to try it out, do not waste any money upgrading to an AP account, the experience is the same. Safety appears to be a secondary concern to imvu also. They have a report for abuse system for the users, but all they ever do is give copy and paste responses to support requests that they obviously have not read. Ever time you file a ticket to report abuse and you state all of the steps you have already taken to stop it, they will send you a copy and paste message back telling you to do what you have already stated you have done. They have inadequate age confirmation systems in place, so that children can get access to the more adult portion of the site, and predators can and do easily pose as minors.

Adult Written byQueenKristen August 10, 2010

It's Okay for 16+

Personally, I love IMVU, but I'm 29 years old. I think this program is appropriate for ages 16+. A basic account without the Access Pass (for 18+) is okay for 16+. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PROGRAM FOR KIDS UNDER 16.

Parent of a 17 year old Written bygatitaobseciva March 5, 2010
i love it!!!!!!

Parent of a 12 year old Written bysmartgirl15 January 16, 2010

Imvu is safe for 11+.it is harmless

imvu is safe for children 11 and up.it doesnt use bad language for children.it is harmless.it is just a fun game your children can play. if you dont let them play that is your problem.it is nothing wrong with it.
Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written byLovestruke January 15, 2010
This site is about sex and drugs. Chats and messages can flow freely between the users and can be a potential haszard for your child. It is labled for 18+ for a reason and parents should not allow their child to be on it.

Adult Written bykassisassyXD January 11, 2010

good for 12 yrs and teens not good for the tweens!!!

Im 12 and ive been on imvu for awhile i belive ppl the age of 12 should go on and its kinnda like facebook but a 3-D demison its really fun but wen u say that ur 20 0or something ur going to see nudity thats why i switched to 13 really close to my age and i buy credits WITH MY OWN MONEY i dont hav a credit card but when i buy credits my mom is there to make sure i dont over blow and this could get ur kids to do alot of stuff like chores and u could give them 5,000 credits only $5 and for the age apporpite it should be 13 to 15 cus 16 and 17 ur going to loose ur virginity and stuff like that and learn about sex but im just saying if ur kids decide to get an acounnt put them on 13 and get them to do some chores and in return give them credits it reallyworks trust me!!!

Privacy & Safety
Parent of a 4, 6, 9, 10, 12, and 15 year old Written byNerdy_Mamma January 3, 2010

Adult Written byCthulhu December 15, 2009

IMVU inc. is a Corperate American Turd. Learn More at www(dot)trustlink(dot)org/BusinessProfile(dot)aspx?ID=206049811

This review is not about the site, but the shady company that is running it. This is to warn everyone not to waste any real money on it. My full review and others are posted at www(dot)trustlink(dot)org/BusinessProfile(dot)aspx?ID=206049811
Adult Written bySmoky December 9, 2009
i love this web site i met my girlfrien here lasdt year we started as friend and we decided to hook up and we been dating since then i think that the chat is a GREAT place to learn how real life is so kids can know its not all fun and games and so they know not evryone is nice that there are some bad ppl there they just have to be careful and just have fun its a great place to meet new ppl from all over the world there is even rooms were u can speak your own language it has a lot of cultare its not all bad yes there is drama but you can block that user if you want so what im trying to say is that this place is a great chat

Educational Value
Parent of a 7 and 8 year old Written byWyllo November 24, 2009

Not Recommended

User content is supposed to be monitored but IMVU Inc. allows users to determine what should and should not be in their catalogue. Often this leads to content that is vastly inappropriate for those under 18. IMVU also promotes products they have created or are promoting for other partner businesses which have not been properly reviewed and are also not appropriate for under 18 years of age. In addition to the inappropriate content, there are actions and activities that are defaulted to the avatars which are not appropriate behavior for under 18 users. Many misrepresent their age as well and there have been many 12 year olds posing at 18 + to be able to purchase these unsuitable items. It is best if you do choose to allow your child on here to ensure you know what their home page is like, what their account information is to check on them and to ensure you do not let them on there without supervision.

Privacy & Safety
Parent of a 2, 7, 10, 12, 13, and 17 year old Written bymikaelastar November 8, 2009

too sexual

Kate, my 17 year old went on when she was 15 and it was really cool but it had inappropriate things, like you can kiss, even french kiss. Boys and Girls can dance and it is too sexual.

Parent of a 17 year old Written bydiddycash November 1, 2009
Adult Written bylifewontwait89 October 11, 2009

Useless, Immature and Unfair.

I used this site from the time I was 10 until I was 15. Its as immature as middle school and there are tons of older men trolling for younger kids. Most people lie about their age. Really, you might as well send your kids into yahoo chat rooms, because they're just as safe. Some adult content is purposely mislabeled by creators and kids can access furniture that has sexual poses, clothes that look like nude body parts and suggestive motions. Content creators are ripped off more often than not (not something you want to happen to your kids after their hard work, and trust me, the 3D modelling program isn't easy to use) because the free promo credits all avatars start out with are the major currency flow in game and aren't actually given to creators for their products, they just dissapear when avatars use them. Being 20 years old, I can't believe I wasted my time...

Adult Written byxk1mx September 18, 2009
the site isnt safe for kids at all.have came across alot of older men talking to little children on this site and its disgusting.the people that run the site are both ignorent and lazy,they dont help you with ANYTHING at all.without a dout the worst site to be on.

Parent of a 8, 10, and 11 year old Written byPonyMiku6 July 28, 2009

Perfect For 15 +

Yeah I Play On it not my Kids my Kids watch Me Though I dont think kids should be playing on this is has alot of unusual Questions

Parent of a 16 year old Written byshai1007 July 8, 2009

on

i love t it helps prepare kids for the real world

Educational Value
Adult Written bysplah April 9, 2008
this gives me viruses!! and very very bad for children!
Adult Written byicekrissy April 9, 2008

adults

i don't go in the chats often anymore, i have ran across some very rude adults in the age group of 36 and up, the adults in imvu don't have a real life outside imvu and its sad they spend most of thier free time on here, like its a real world,I run across a guy on here age 36, started talking a few times and he told me he was interested in me, but also at the time he had 5 wives in imvu, which was weird i thought
or i would say more like insane, then he turn all freaky and scarey, so i would advice to stay in your own age group when your in imvu and stay away from adults that live in here some are very immature. i would advice to put a age limit to join at least 16 and up , thiers to many pages with things on it and i think the bad pictures should be limited or kick them out. ok i think i said enough for now......take care
Adult Written byCreepie April 9, 2008

Totally stupid...

I hate this thing. I signed up for it, and it doesn't even work on my computer. Besides, I don't even care about it anymore.