Parent reviews for IMVU

Sophisticated chat world has sexual content.

Parent of a 8, 10, and 11-year-old Written byPonyMiku6 July 28, 2009

Perfect For 15 +

Yeah I Play On it not my Kids my Kids watch Me Though I dont think kids should be playing on this is has alot of unusual Questions

Privacy & Safety
Privacy & Safety
Parent of a 16-year-old Written byshai1007 July 8, 2009

on

i love t it helps prepare kids for the real world

Educational Value
Adult Written bysplah April 9, 2008
this gives me viruses!! and very very bad for children!
Adult Written byicekrissy April 9, 2008

adults

i don't go in the chats often anymore, i have ran across some very rude adults in the age group of 36 and up, the adults in imvu don't have a real life outside imvu and its sad they spend most of thier free time on here, like its a real world,I run across a guy on here age 36, started talking a few times and he told me he was interested in me, but also at the time he had 5 wives in imvu, which was weird i thought
or i would say more like insane, then he turn all freaky and scarey, so i would advice to stay in your own age group when your in imvu and stay away from adults that live in here some are very immature. i would advice to put a age limit to join at least 16 and up , thiers to many pages with things on it and i think the bad pictures should be limited or kick them out. ok i think i said enough for now......take care
Adult Written byCreepie April 9, 2008

Totally stupid...

I hate this thing. I signed up for it, and it doesn't even work on my computer. Besides, I don't even care about it anymore.
Adult Written byDawgas April 9, 2008

This is total, pure crap.

I mean seriously, screw the fact that it is dangerous, it's evil. It can be used to preform dangerous activities (which are not really dangerous, but evil anyway) and infact, it should be banned.
Adult Written byPETER April 9, 2008
Adult Written byAndycool April 9, 2008
Adult Written byarual001 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byLessZoa April 9, 2008

The next generation of Chat

IMVU is not for young children. Interactivity is strong here between users in a highly involving interface. The download is available only for PC, with Mac "coming soon". This application is still in BETA, but is fully active.

As stated in another review, signing up is free, and part of the startup is 1000 credits (the IMVU money) which can be used to purchase items from the Catalog. The catalog is just that, with clothing, appearance items, scenes, furniture, pets and more. Everything within the catalog is submitted by other users (called Developers) who create these items to earn more credits.

Educating people (young and mature) on good business practices, supply and demand, as well as the effects of commercialism is strong in IMVU. And for those wanting to learn about Graphic Arts and 3D rendering, this is definately a place to learn. Developers are more likely to help each other than the IMVU staff are, so community is strong.

As with any other experience, there are some bad apples in IMVU. As an adult user of the program, I strongly suggest that any parent observe their child and the activities they take part in while online. My son is also al IMVU user, and together we discuss his interactions - good and bad.

Responsible action is required when using any chat program, be it graphical or text based. Teach your child to be responsible for his/her actions.

Final word on IMVU: Strong precautionary measures and parental involvement required.
Adult Written bydatboredtrinbagonian April 9, 2008

it's great

well imvu is great for tweens and teens and adults personally i try to stay in buddies only mode thats perfect if you have real life friends that are also on imvu. this is not for 7-8 years olds. parents should be aware that their children are using it personally my mom is about to join 2! BE SAFE IMVU CAN BE DANGEROUS DO NOT TALK 2 ANY1 FAR OUT OF YOUR AGE GROUP
Adult Written byDr.Gonzo April 9, 2008
Adult Written bynbforrest April 9, 2008
Adult Written byTheForgtten616 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byteejay April 9, 2008

Not for 13 - 16 year olds - unless very mature and world aware.

WOW! What can I say, so I think IMVU is a little too much for my age too. Don't get me wrong, it is a fabulous site, with many features. Being as old as I am I feel that I am able to deal with all sorts of people on the net. I feel that a vast majority of these people are just looking to 'cyber' and like any other chat sites that's what is the main agenda (of the people - not the site). Apart from a few people, the site itself is wonderful, there ARE many people who want to just have fun, or have the coolest things, or homepages, and there is a huge culture of younger girls collecting everything pink and cute. There is a system in place which IMVU is using to try and limit the amount of sexual content displayed to below 18(years) users. This is the mature/access pass. IMVU has a whole section for adults who wish to see nudity and buy raunchy things. You have to pay in real money to purchase this pass and must be over 18 years of age and so the access pass deters most youths from purchasing it. Also, sites displaying sexually explicit graphics are told to make there sites only viewable by accesspass users. IMVU is trying very hard to make itself safe, there are many ways to report and block users, and you can disable people from talking or leaving you messages on your page easily, it all depends on whether you use these features. Overall IMVU is a great site, allows a lot of creativity and there are a lot of groups and chances to be yourself. The credits issue - the credits are reasonably cheap to purchase, but may be non-obtainable if you don't have an internet bank account or a phone or a credit card.
Adult Written byFishlover April 9, 2008
Adult Written byjste383 April 9, 2008

Ignoring their Adult users

IMVU is alienating their adult users. While they do have the Access Pass, they have removed all items that an Adult would want to access. They are trying very hard to make the site a pg-13 site at the cost of their adult users. While there are a number of safeguards in place to protect children, IMVU has done all they can on this front, a parent should watch what their children are doing on the entire internet... Including this site.
Adult Written bySpabon75 April 9, 2008
Adult Written bygemmamm April 9, 2008

My experience of IMVU

I decided to try this after seeing an advert for this on myspace, and I wasn't that impressed. Although I came across a few nice people the majority of them where very horrible and rude or people who seemed to think it was real. Alot of people on it are after 'cyber' or just to upset people, and theres abit of a sleazy feel sometimes, so I wouldn't recommend it for under 16's. Theres users who have boy/girl friends and even get married on imvu, which I think is rather sad in my opion, as I get the impression they mustn't have a life outside the net. On a plus side its alright when you meet someone normal, you can customize your avatar and myspace style homepage, (but you have to pay for alot of features), however I felt the negatives outweighted the positives and deleted my account.
Adult Written bycvargas74 April 9, 2008