All member reviews for IXL

Kid, 11 years old September 8, 2013

Do not try it! Will make your kid(s) cry!

Don't try it! If you make the teeniest mistake on IXL BOOM! You lose a LOT of points. It will make your kid(s) cry. I'm surprised you are giving it good reviews Common Sense Media. I'm in 6th grade and it made me cry.
Kid, 10 years old January 1, 2014

Ixl is NOT worth it!

I think ixl is not worth it! First of all, when you make it to the 70's or 80's, you earn 1 point and lose like 10 points. It helped me get good grades but it also wasted my time. I think Khan Academy is better than ixl. I would've rated ixl 2 stars if it wasn't so boring. My whole class are complaining about ixl. Also, 79 dollars or something for a year? I could use that money and add it to my savings for a new bike! Since i couldn't rate it 0 stars, i had to rate it one. Trust me, it is NOT FUN like it says on the advertisement. No offense, but ixl was the WORST learning website for me. I'm not trying to advertise Khan Academy here but if you want to learn, trust ME, ixl should be your last choice.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNeonNinja99 December 12, 2013

Don't use it.

Don't make your kids suffer through this online "Learning" website. It makes teens cry. It does NOT deserve positive reviews. I am assigned IXL homework in algebra and you barely get any points if you get the answer right and deducts a lot of points when you get just one wrong. I also know that when you get an answer wrong, the website gives you the right answer and explains how you messed up but it never applies to what you are actually learning to do. This website should not be used as an advanced learning tool, it is more like a mini torture device. It might be ok for small children but for the rest of us we all understand how badly your self-esteem can be crushed by something as simple as a website.
Teen, 13 years old Written byK bug March 26, 2013

Great!!!!

Very fun and is a great learning tool! The best for all ages!
Kid, 9 years old March 19, 2013

LEARNING

Put your thinking hat on!

Its very good , it helps you alot with maths and using your brain.
Kid, 11 years old January 9, 2014

WASTE OF TIME

IXL has some GOOD points and BAD points. The bad thing is that every time you get a tiny thing wrong it reduces your score which is SOOO frustrating. You could be doing one section for at least 2 HOURS! The good thing is that it pushes you to try your best and keep on going so you can get the heck outta there.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJennypenny123 April 12, 2013

Great Website for Kids of all ages!!!

This is a great website for kids of all ages to practice math when I was in intermediate school we went to the computer lab for an hour everyday and practiced math, It helped me in math allot. So I defiantly recommend this website to all kids.
Kid, 12 years old March 23, 2015

Dont like it

my school does this and everyone in my math class says we need something that is NOT ixl it is not encouraging because you lose like 20 points when you get 1 little symbol messed up for example i had to ixl homework i had 99 percent the i got something wrong the i went down to 80 i was raging so hard a unpluged my computer
Teen, 13 years old Written byPoob March 1, 2015

LEARNING

Do I even have to explain why?

"Smartscore" HA, That's pretty funny. I slaved all day to get 7 lessons done. Each one took an hour each. This is how it goes: Get up to 79 points (our teacher only makes us go to 80) accidently forget a negative, back to 66. More like a dumbscore to me
Teen, 13 years old Written bybooknerd21 March 1, 2015

RAGE

Their program makes me want to smash the computer. It is so horrible. When you get a question right you go up x amount of points until you get to 100. But, if you miss a question or answer it wrong by a number or letter it will drop you a lot of points. It takes forever. Use abc mouse or something better.
Kid, 9 years old February 25, 2015

Uh....

Personally, I think IXL is not the best place to learn. They don't give really positive messages to kids. For example, if your score is 85 and you get this one itsy bitsy question wrong, it will take away about 5 or more points. the messages they use are cheesy and stupid, plus if you get a question wrong, it won't explain it like a human. And it's really expensive. Parents, don't let your kids use IXL for improvement on Math or Language Arts. It will literally traumatize your kids as young as 4. PS: After spending a looooong time on IXL, all your children get as a prize is a computer-animated object. DON'T BUY! And to me, stupid and cheesy messages are like swear words.
Kid, 9 years old February 22, 2015

You'll regret it.

My grades have improved. I know things that all of my class doesn't. My parents force me to do IXL by not letting me use the computer for anything else and setting up internet restrictions with my school iPad. I disagree that we should do IXL and think it's a waste of money. Your kids will want to throw tantrums and fits. They'll cry. IXL is a waste of money. Parents think it's good only because of how they're children improve in education. If they don't, parents make them do more and more IXL. IXL sucks. Don't make your kids do it. I hate it. You get one question right, it gives you 3 points. You get it wrong and you lose 13 points. What is the problem with you? Nothing. IXL has a problem. When it asks you to write down a problem, for example, 8 + 9 = 17, it doesn't let you not put spaces, like this, 8+9=17. IT'S THE SAME THING!!!!!!!!!! Don't do IXL. You'll regret it. I'ts a waste of money.
Kid, 12 years old February 21, 2015

IT SUCKS

This is coming from a twelve year old kid it absolutely sucks!! Its frustrating and horrible. when you answer right it give you 1-5 points when you anwser wrong its 1-12 points off. Its torture dont make your kids do this just dont. I MADE MY ACCOUNT JUST TO GIVE THIS A BAD REVIEW THATS HOW MUCH IT SUCKS
Teen, 13 years old Written bycmat22 February 18, 2015

IXL is Trash

IXL frustrates me very much. I dont like it because it doesn't reward you for ANYTHING! All you get is stupid online prizes and you dont know what they are so you dont feel good. DONT USE AT ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
Kid, 12 years old January 26, 2015

DO NOT MAKE YOUR KIDS USE THIS

First, lets look at the positive side. It teaches you math and English/LA. That's it for that. Other than that, it is the WORST thing my school has ever forced us to do. Once you get in the 80's for your score, you get about 1 point per right answer, and you lose about 8 for a wrong question. I have been working on one skill, ONE, for about an hour, and I am only in the 80's. I hate this so much, it has made me cry, lose all my free time, and more. Also, I made my account JUST TO LEAVE A BAD REVIEW FOR THIS! That is how bad it is!
Teen, 14 years old Written byMelMelonMarta January 20, 2015

LEARNING

The system is just unfair.

The reason I put "too much violence" is because I had a violent outburst moments ago. My teacher assigns my class IXL homework every now and then, and when she does, it's not very pretty. Since the teachers do not always teach similarly, there are things that some students have not learnt or understand at all. The point system is very unfair as the second you hit around 85, it gives you only 1 point per correct answer, and deducts like 7-8 points with every incorrect answer. Today, my teacher assigned 3 tasks and I've been on the computer for about 4-5 hours, focusing solely on IXL and I still haven't finished. My schedule usually goes like School ends at 3 Extracurricular activities go through 3-6 depending on the day of the week, and I try to sleep at 11, but today it seems that I'll be sleeping way later than I usually do, considering that this atrocious thing has been keeping me from doing my other homework as well. Unless you want your child to be frustrated and stressed on the floor, I would keep away from this website..
Teen, 15 years old Written byzackeryp December 15, 2014

LEARNING

IXL is a waste of money and time

I spend all my free time on this because school assigns it. I don't have a choice. Don't recommend it because miss 1 question get 5-20 points off, get one right get 1-3 points added. IXL leaning that feels like what!? Definitely not play! If you like torture, get this for your children, if you like waste of money and time get this, otherwise don't bother. However, I marked it good for learning because it did help me learn, but it is not fun and it is a waste of time. Bad enough my school gave an award for a contest for a free pass for IXL
Teen, 14 years old Written byCupcakes1702 November 6, 2014

Colossal Waste of Time

I am a teenager forced to use this program for school. It is not fun at all! You hardly get any points for answering questions correctly, but it takes away like 10 points for every wrong question. Unless you want to make your kids hate you for making them use IXL, don't get it! You'll thank me for it later.
Kid, 12 years old October 22, 2014

MOST STRESSFUL WEBSITE EVER!

This website is the worst thing ever! I tried the math problems, and when I get one right, I get like more points depending on how many I did. You need to get to 100 points and the questions are infinite! Thats the worst part, if you get one wrong when you are at a 70-99 point range, you lose a lot of points! And since there are infinite questions, it takes FOREVER to finish, its even more stressful if its homework, like mine. So don't even try IXL parents!
Teen, 13 years old Written byNOIXL September 17, 2014

DON'T EVEN

Hello, My name is Mindy I hate IXL take it from a kid who loves Language Arts more than anything, its my favorite subject I love grammar I love it all but IXL is ruining my grade, I will try so hard, to improve what I want to do but no matter what I do I fail, I thought it was bad, for kids to be on the computer too much. IF you want to improve IXL, try only making it twenty questions or just saying wrong don't give the answer and make them try it again! I don't think this is a safe plus its so expensive just to make your kid feel bad about themselves its not a learning tool its to decrease their self esteem