Great academic videos with math practice for skills mastery.

Teen, 13 years old Written byRodeo-Girl October 24, 2010

Great! Probably the best educational tool on the 'net

Great, and comprehensive. I could go on forever, but this site is on for Any age, and any subject. We use this in school almost daily, and it is just great!
Kid, 12 years old November 16, 2011

A's for kids

I think if your kid make bad grades this is the Khan Academy to make all A's just staight A's.
Teen, 13 years old Written bystraitaz123 September 11, 2014

Horrible Experience

I went on to practice some geometry and trigonometry, and I watched the video. I thought I got what he was saying, but when I took the test, what was on it was totally irrelevant to what the guy said. Really disapointed. I'm going to have to use another site.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykibble May 30, 2014

A myriad amount of opportunities

Khan Academy. Before this, I never had much enjoyment with learning things online: occasionally, informational websites are a bit sketchy, and it's much simpler getting info in person. Sal Khan is a true genius. What began as a few small lessons for Sal's cousin, then became a popular tutorial playlist in YouTube. Now, it is a website where tens and millions of students learn math, science, economics and finance, history, philosophy, computer programming and computer science. Students are also able to prep for multiple exams, such as the SAT, the MCAT, the GMAT, or AP Art History. Of course, I would also like to see subjects in my favour (French and Music Theory :P ), but who can blame them? Khan Academy currently has about 300,000,000 lessons, and are creating new content every day. IT IS SAID that Sal Khan's videos, especially based on math, are primitive and unappetizing. It is true that the videos that Sal creates are basic, but that is not supposed to get in the way of learning. One of the main reasons why Sal creates videos like these is that he wants to be productive on the quantity of videos he makes and still induce enough learning into every one of them. In other words, he wants to make as many videos of different subjects while still teaching students well. I mean, it has worked for me. I appreciated the fact that Sal advocated for the gamification of learning in 2010. It has appealed to me ever since I stumbled upon it a month ago. In Khan Academy, you gain "energy points" for the actions you do on the site, such as answering questions correctly, watching a video, or receiving certain badges that you can show off to other users. Energy points are used to comment, change your avatar, change your profile background, or simply to show off your investment in learning through Khan Academy. I am sure that kids will enjoy learning through this site this way. Along with encouraging enjoyable learning is you are able to coach your own students through Khan Academy. I actually use it to tutor a couple of my own classmates. Teachers, parents and guardians will find this exceptionally useful as well; coaches are able to monitor their students' progress individually, including what videos they watched, what skills they have mastered and, most importantly, the skills in which they are struggling at. Coaching with Khan Academy is an excellent method in training your students, peers, or even your friends. What is also great about Khan Academy is that the web is ad-free. Sal clearly didn't want students to get off track and regress just by having advertisements sprayed over every page. Khan Academy is a non-profit organization, so it is funded by donations. One notable donor is Bill Gates, the chief executive and chairman of Microsoft, and his son Rory uses the site personally. Khan Academy: a project that enables teaching kids from around the entire world. What's the wait?
Parent Written by2ofnine September 17, 2010

Good idea, great resource

As a homeschooling mom, I think this is a great resource. I am glad to have learned about it, and think it will be a good help for my kids and I as we get into the upper grades.
Kid, 10 years old June 8, 2014

Fantastic and Even Addicting

It has math, science, history, and computer science! I love this website! Even if I don't have to in my spare time I will go to Khan Academy and learn computer programming with Processing JS. This is just the best. You can even play game made by others that are learning programming. This is a very good website that is absolutely FREE, and it is 10 times better than IXL
Kid, 12 years old January 1, 2014

Khan Academy is really helpful for all types of students(and focuses on learning) :3

As a personal user of Khan Academy and a 7th grader who is studying Algebra I, I absolutely love this truly educational website. My dad encourages me to use it at times so I can improve my skills in math(since I'm pretty much below average in my grade for Algebra I) and I noticed that Khan Academy also aims at the things you may have trouble with in math and sees what level you are in math. This website is also constantly improving how it runs and what it has in store for you to learn. It also lets you receive points so you can feel rewarded for any skill you have mastered for cool profiles and things you can get on the website so you don't feel like you did anything after mastering a skill you may or may not have had trouble on. Overall, Khan Academy is a great website for students who have trouble on math and is really good from the scale from kindergarteners to high schoolers.
Educator and Parent Written byCassidysMom December 9, 2011

Arithmephobia Be Gone!

I am the homeschooling parent of my 13 year old daughter and the Khan Academy has changed our educational experience 100%! Amazing results from an amazing educator, THANK YOU SAL! In all seriousness I have seen my child move from an absolute refusal to even acknowledge math to a child who absolutely cannot get enough of the subject in three days. My daughter is also watching the other videos on the site and earning badges and the site seems to have ignited an excitement and fire for learning that I have never seen from her before. This is just so exciting and wonderful.
Adult Written byshadowcash October 25, 2015

Terrible (worst learning site ever)

My child started using Khan Academy 4 months ago for school. She told me that some of the answers for the questions were incorrect. Also, if you don't get every single question right, you cant master it. Even if you do master it, it can easily get taken away. They have mastery challenges (tests on things you already mastered) and if you get 1 question wrong then you get it taken away, meaning you no longer have mastered that skill. This was the worst website for learning that I have ever even heard of. I would defiantly not recommend anyone to use this site. I do not trust that they are keeping my child's info safe. My child did the opposite of learn when using this website. She cried about losing mastered challenges and complained that it was too hard.
Teen, 15 years old Written byethanolsen October 13, 2014

Why Khan Academy is Awesome.

Khan Academy is a website that was created with the goal of providing awesome, free education to anyone who has access to the internet. It is made up of relatively quick video tutorials, and has a huge amount of information in subjects such as math, biology, chemistry, physics, economics, programming, history, music, and art. In my opinion, Khan Academy more than meets the requirements of an education website. It has accurate information, clear presentation of its information, functionality, an engaging system, and a cool, up to date design. The first and most important requirement that Khan Academy meets is the need for accurate information. Salman Khan, the author of Khan Academy's videos, has multiple degrees in mathematics and science. He is credible. Additionally, Khan Academy is constantly improving. Various experts and PhDs contribute towards improving Khan Academy's content. If an inaccurate video is reported, it is removed from the website and revised. Another great thing about Khan Academy is how it presents its information. Khan's lessons are clear and effectively crafted. His videos are colorful and are reinforced by entertaining illustrations and vivid pictures. Khan himself has a clear and animated voice, rather than a dull and monotonous one, making his videos enjoyable for both younger and older users. Khan Academy also has a useable, functional website. All of Khan Academy’s information is efficiently categorized, organized, and labeled. In addition, Khan Academy has a powerful search engine for finding very distinct topics. These aspects make it a lot easier to take advantage of Khan Academy's great content. One important thing for an education website to have is an engaging system. Khan Academy engages its users by setting goals, giving a unique plan for its users, and giving rewards for successful completion of these goals. Khan Academy rewards its users with points, achievements, and badges. This feature engages both young and old users, giving them incentive and satisfaction. A great feature that really stood out to me about Khan Academy is its colorful, aesthetically pleasing website. When you log on, the first thing that you notice is its up to date, contemporary design and its cool colors. Khan Academy is characterized by simple yet sophisticated art, bright, cheery colors, and neat icons and meters. This aspect makes Khan Academy even more enjoyable to use. In conclusion, I think that Khan academy is an excellent education website like no other. Its accurate information and excellent presentation is tied together with its functionality and beautiful design. Khan Academy is awesome!
Teen, 13 years old Written byMiss Luna Lovegood July 1, 2014

Khan Academy is the Best in the World!!!!!

I love Khan Academy! I started using it a few years ago and I love it! It does have fantastic math, but my favorite part is the programming! There are excellent teachers and it's fun to make games!
Teen, 15 years old Written byragtagmisfit May 22, 2014

Amazing website

This website is amazing! It is mainly for math but they do have other subjects. If you or your child want to get a ahead in math or need help, I highly recommend this website. It is set up so you select a grade level or course you want to master and you will be given videos to watch and problems to complete based off of what you have yet to learn. The videos are straight to the point and easy to understand and they don't give you and over-bearing amount of problems. If you want to get ahead or need help in math, please use this website!
Parent Written bysimonmbrooks November 22, 2011

The Ace of Academys

We have been using the Khan Academy to help explain things we cannot do well, or to supplement what we or our kids' school is doing. They have something for most ages from 4 up to adult, from easy to intense. Can't recommend it enough.
Adult Written byyomotha October 20, 2015

This Sucks

This website makes you restart it is garbage i'm in college class and I have spent 2 hours and have learned nothing
Adult Written byNielsB November 25, 2012

Great for kids, good for students.

I think this website provides a great supplement to the education provided in schools, and might even replace it one day. For me as a university-student there are only a few subjects that are actually relevant, but the childish-badge system still works like a charm.
Kid, 11 years old June 18, 2014

Great website.

Khan Academy is a great way of explaining concepts to children and helping them learn. IXL.com is also good, but when their explinations are not good, I come to Khan Academy. 5 out of 5 stars!!
Educator and Parent Written bylgn October 26, 2011

Khan Academy is the best educational site available.

EXCELLENT! RUN, DON'T WALK TO YOUR COMPUTER, AND JOIN THE KHAN ACADEMY!
Adult Written bycarolthecake December 12, 2015

Amazing

This website is way better than IXL and I don't understand why in the world its rating is equivalent to that other excuse for a learning site. Whenever I get a question wrong, I literally never get frustrated. I'm never afraid of getting the problem incorrect, because I know that an incorrect answer on this website leads to further improvement. It encourages me to persist in the skills I'm struggling on, and excel even further in the skills I'm proficient on. I have never encountered such a quality website, and I don't think I will ever encounter ANOTHER quality learning site like Khan Academy. It's special; it's way more worth it than a bag of diamonds. I know that Khan Academy is in no way related to IXL, but lemme just say: way better than IXL! It includes quality, instructional videos that are easy to follow. I can't wait to see how much more I can accomplish! Khan Academy is the BEST <3
Teen, 13 years old Written bySavinnaMarie January 2, 2013

Best educational site on the internet

IT'S REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLY GOOD IN HERE. I'm a student but I dropped out of school but I wanted to learn because I don't want to be behind my former classmates so I was searching for educational sites and everything and I saw this website and it is the best thing I saw since I got out of school. it's very educational and I love how practical they are by making videos of the actual lesson and teaching it in the video. specially for me who don't really like reading and I really have a hard time learning just by reading the lesson so yeah. this is a big help to me. and I thank the creators and teachers of this site! I also donated to them because I think they deserve a donation. lol.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCatchat.22 June 4, 2016

It has its Flaws

I would definitely recommend this website. It has personally helped me. Although people learn at different rates. The instructor is very clear. I would definitely tell you to use it for MATH, but not for SCIENCE because in the science course , it gets a little extreme. Otherwise, I say go for it!! ;)