All member reviews for Kingdom of Loathing

Teen, 14 years old Written byKiPunk11 January 21, 2011

CommonSense Media Needs To Stop Hiring Conservatives.

This game is about as inoffensive as games get. Just because you can drink doesn't mean children can't play it, I give it on for anyone who can read. Violence is mild and double entendres will fly right over the lil'uns heads.
Kid, 12 years old February 22, 2011

NOT FOR KIDS? What the?

This game rocks, and kids shouldn't be shielded to the fact that alcohol exists.
Teen, 14 years old Written byzeeman48 April 9, 2008

A great game, a biased review

I have played this game for a while, and so far, have seen no problems with it. The review was completely biased from a 15 minute gameplay. Sure, the game does involve alcohol, but, they do produce negative results. Last year, I created an account (which was subsequently deleted) and played it for over 2 months. During and prior to that, I never suddenly got the urge to break into my parents liquor cabinet and start drinking away. All of the "inappropriate" activities that are involved are usually in jest and you never actually "kill" anything as far as I have seen. Usually, when battle is over, the loser simply leaves. Therefore, I don't see how someone can rate this game so poorly. Obviously, the "official" reviewer took no more than 5 to 15 minutes of gameplay. Had they taken the time to explore the game and meet the community, they would have realized the true purpose of the game.
Teen, 15 years old Written byGhost00 April 9, 2008

Fine for anyone over the age of 10

Strangely enough, most people tend to focus on the "bad" part of this game. The drink mixing, and the other content associated with alcohol. But in reality, the game is much more than an "alcohol supporting game" it has a flourishing community of players of all age. The violence too is far from anything as bad as games like fps (first person shooters) or most strategy games. Kol (kingdom of loathing, as it is called by players) doesnt even show the fight animations or even any blood and gore. I strongly disagree with the writer of the original review, because the person states that a "fiendish can of asparagus " could invoke violent thoughts in children. Far from it, it more instigates laughter, since a fiendish can of asparagus is actually quite funny. If your worried about the slightly sick minded jokes in the game. You shouldnt worry, because if your kid gets the joke, hes already been exposed to different things, and this is hardly going to matter. All in all, i believe that even though the game may not be suitable for kids under the age of 10, its definetly acceptable for anyone older.
Kid, 9 years old April 10, 2011

What was the reviewer thinking?

The game is FINE, just registered and already I love the game!
Kid, 10 years old April 6, 2009

It Is okay

It's okay and yes it does have beer in it but if you drink too much you will become sick and you can't play until the next day and i haven't saw anything bad other than that
Teen, 14 years old Written byJohanjwalker April 9, 2008

Weird, funny, addictice, online game for 13+

Parents should not judge kingdom of loathing by the Common Sense Media website. Its a really cute, fun, weird game! Its great, but it is only for teenagers, and I mean just 13+, for there are a lot of drug/alchohol referances. You can drink and do drugs in the game, but the cool thing is, doing this teaches you how bad drugs and alchohol are. Taking a drug will make you feel great at first, but then you get a low that lasts a very long time and makes you feel awful in the game. Drinking alchohol may improve you a tiny bit, but it also gets you drunk-which is bad. There is a little bit of mild language and some innuendo and double-entendre talk, but its fine for teenagers who are experienced in this area. I don't understand what Common Sense Media thinks is so awful about this game. Its really fun, funny and enjoyable. As for violence in the game, combat is a big part of it, but there is no gore or blood at all, just some words that describe the sounds of the fight like: Kappow! Whack! Zork! Biff! You know! This game is fine for any teenager. Period.
Teen, 13 years old Written bynotincompetent December 21, 2014

I think this game....

Can be played by any age AS LONG as they are mentally mature. (know about you know what (kiss kiss)... don't go around saying everything they see or hear. The good message in this game is trying to defeat evil. I don't think it's too violent. Although you do fight, it is not very violent as there is one static image and some text describing the fight. There is swearing in the game, but only mild swearing. (b-, a-, o-) The chat filter is on by default. About innuendo, there is some, but remember, as long as they know about you know what, and they don't say what they hear or see, it is okay. About drinking... yep, a lot of it, but as long as they know not to abuse drugs and alcohol, they are a-okay. People can say whatever they want in the chat, and list their location, but as long as they know not to, regardless, it is okay. If they do list their location, make sure it is not specific, but broad. Nunavut Province, Canada is broad and okay, but 183 Iqaluit Street, Iqaluit, Nunavut, Canada is NOT.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBionic Reviewer February 19, 2014

Humorous Browser Game Parodies Role-Playing Video Games

Kingdoms of Loathing (or KoL, as it is referred to) is a download-free game with graphics that consist of black-and-white doodles, with NPCs and player characters represented via stick figures. There is not much plot, just a basic quest to kill a witch (known as the "Naughty Sorceress") to staunch the flow of monsters into the land. The game prides itself on its originality and humor, not its combat, though battles are present. Violence: Combat is displayed through a white screen with dropdown menus. Attacks will be selected via said menus, and a brief message (i.e: "You strike your opponent on the forehead with the flat part of your blade, producing a satisfying 'Thwok' sound.") followed by some onomatopoeia ("BIFF! BAM! POW!"), then a description of how much damage you dealt. Defeated enemies drop items and Meat, the game's currency (poking fun at how random animals will drop currency in other video games). One of the game's items is a "Bum Cheek", which is described as the actual severed cheek of a bum (homeless person) who attacked you. Said item can be worn as a hat. One of the available classes is "Seal Clubber", itself a parody of Viking-esque classes ("The Seal Clubber hails from the frigid northlands, because one character class always hails from the frigid northlands"). All in all, violence is described (as there are no attack animations) in the same cartoonish manner as a Tom and Jerry cartoon. Sexy Stuff: One item is called the "Chainmail Monokini", and is implied not to cover much. Females are generally not portrayed as any different from males in the game, with the difference of females having hair drawn onto their heads. Players may pay 500 Meat to change their avatar's gender, and if turning from male to female, the description will read: "You hand over the meat (in more ways than one) and lie down. When you wake up, you feel.......different." Some innuendo in dialogue (such as the aforementioned pun). Drinking, Drugs, Smoking. Beverages are present, but not in a particularly overpowering way. They provide passive bonuses, and your character can become drunk (this will have a mixed affect, barring you from some "Adventures" (battles), but giving you access to others you may not otherwise encounter. It also locks you out of many important activities, though. So, basically, Commonsense has once again blown this out of proportion. One can go through the entire game without drinking, really. One quest does, however, result in you taking hallucinogenic drugs and going on a "trip". But, this is generally treated as just another zone of the game. Other Concerns: Females and males are treated differently in this game. For instance, males get a penalty for eating quiche, females get a bonus for wearing a certain pair of boots, etc. As I mentioned before, "Seal Clubber" is one of the available classes, which could concern some families (please note that seals are portrayed as evil in this game, which either improves or deteriorates the situation depending on how you look at it.) Conclusion: A lot of the humor in the game is derived from pop culture, so those who aren't familiar with some of what they reference (such as stating "It's the end of your quest as we know it! Don't worry, I feel fine." This is a reference to a R.E.M song "The End of the World as We Know It") won't get the game's jokes (and really, that's the point of the game). However, they also parody Role-Playing Games (such as a quest to clear out a tavern basement of rats, to appease the inn's proprietor "Bart Ender". So, this game is best appreciated by gamers who are fond of MAD Magazine's style of humor. Younger kids COULD play it, but they might miss out on the game's most important aspect.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydinopop956 July 25, 2012

NOT FOR KIDS? WHAT DOES IT MEAN!

please stop doing not for kids.it gets confusing (kids=tweens? kids= teens?) basically if you think your kid is old enough to read/watch the wimpy kid books/movies, it's ok
Teen, 15 years old Written byMehFooL March 31, 2012

Try it for yourself!

A lighthearted, funny game worth giving it a shot. Much better than most turn based games out there- and there IS some stuff that immature children shouldn't be exposed too- but overall a nice, friendly experience.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycerealkiller189 December 11, 2011

Csm needs to get a new reviewer.

NOT FOR KIDS?YOU CALL THIS NOT FOR KIDS??YOUR REVIEWERS HAVE GONE MAD!!Why,this deserves to be for all ages!its on for 2,iffy for -3,off for -300000 !!This is the best game ever!It's hilarious and there's not even a single drop of blood!Your enemies are cheesy and unrealistic and the drinking is minimal.Seriously,this is awesome.I play this for hours and hours and hours(sometimes 9+) .extreme ,you say.the only thing on my mind when I switch on my MacBook is kol,kol,kol.
Kid, 10 years old September 17, 2011

A great game!

It's a great game. I play it and I am on the good side with the community. This game is great and it also may teach younger kids than me what old games like this are like. Overall, Great Game for kids 5 and up.
Kid, 12 years old June 9, 2011

ok for tweens

Use of alcohol and some sexual references make this ok for tweens.
Kid, 12 years old June 4, 2009

This Game is the Best Ever

The game does have some innapropriate words, but hey, your parents say them all the time. This is a great game. You can get drunk, have a sex change, and other things but thats no reason to freak out. I really don't consider "Goofballs" as drugs. Whoever wrote this review has it all wrong. Kingdom of Loathing is the best.
Teen, 13 years old Written byygbhygb May 30, 2009

Great Funny Site

Teen, 17 years old Written bybigkevinm84 April 9, 2008

Teen, 16 years old Written bylanesra2412 April 9, 2008

Teen, 16 years old Written bynafajo April 9, 2008

An Adventurer is You!

It's the best game a kid can play!
Teen, 17 years old Written byitsajoke April 9, 2008