All teen and kid member reviews for Neopets

Teen, 14 years old Written by96grlpowrCE January 30, 2010

Amazing, but addictive!

Neopets can be a great site depending on who you are. I started playing it when I was about eight years old and strangely learned many things like HTML (the coding used to create webpages) and marketing skills (helpful for users who want to make 'neopoints', the site's currency-- you can create your own shop and sell virtual items for neopoints). Sadly, as great as it is, it's also very addictive. I was neglecting my schoolwork for quite some time (especially when I got into middle school), and as my elementary school years progressed, I became quite overweight. Last year I kind of lost interest (as the website has lost its magic in some ways-- I think when Viacom bought it, that was to be expected) in the website, and basically quit overnight. I was beginning to DREAM about Neopets and obtaining rare items on the site. Crazy, right? Anyhow, I lost a lot of weight (I'm actually erring on the side of skinny now!!) and my grades are my #1 priority now that I've quit Neopets. Of course, once in a while I'll still log on, but it's not my world. As for safety, that can be good and bad-- Neopets has a good reporting system, and you can block users from contacting you. But some people like to get around the rules and post links to inappropriate websites, so kids have to be pretty dang careful. In all, Neopets is a great website, but it's what you make it-- if you choose to spend hours on it a day and not utilise its reporting system, it's a bad thing. But if you play it in moderation and stay safe, it can be one of the best sites you'll ever play on!
Teen, 14 years old Written byOGORMAN June 24, 2010

A fun and friendly website!! Check it out now!

I have been playing on this site since I was about 8 years old and still love it. It has taught me how to manage my money and to spend it wisely, allowing me to currently have millions in my bank account on the site. It will teach people to do the same thing. There is a lot of advertisements, and some games are sponsored by different companies like: Kraft and Capri Sun. I strongly recommend this site for its fun games and all around friendly atmosphere.
Teen, 14 years old Written byVelternia March 6, 2010

It's... okay.

I used to love this site. But take it from me- it's not all that it is claimed to be. Sure there's a lot of fun games and features, but the community message boards are... bad. "Noobs", or new players, are made fun of and looked down upon. Spammers fill the messages with inappropriate spam and such. Players can be just mean to newer players. Another issue is that the staff, aka TNT (The Neopets Team), is well known for its unfairness and harshness. I have seen many many cases where they ban ("freeze") users for reasons that don't seem like a freezable offense. Sometimes there's no reason at all. This isn't just a few cases. My friend and I were going on the roleplaying boards and my friend was frozen for no apparant reason! His message did not involve anything against the rules or anything. But someone ELSE on the thread did post something inappropriate and everyone was either warned or banned. I was lucky not to be frozen, but I was still sent a warning. Neopets also tried to get your money. With a premium service and the new "Neocash" mall and many many ads, they want your money. Neocash is a currency you pay 5, 10, 15, or 20 dollars for so users can get virtual clothes for their neopets. My last point is the scammers. They try to hack into people's accounts to get all of their rare items and pets. Sometimes they post links to websites that steal your cookies and get the information in your internet browser... The servers aren't always safe either. One day there was a glitch or something that made it so anyone could log into any account with any password. Many people were frozen to protect their accounts, including my own, but the accounts weren't given back... and another day, people found a way to duplicate rare items and sent them to random people's accounts, and when TNT found out about this, they froze all of the accounts with the duplicated items on it, including the innocent people who thought they got a free rare item. THe game itself isn't bad, taking care of the pets and stuff, but it isn't the best virtual pet site out there. Most users are more concerned with pet rarity and clothing than its health and hunger. Anyway, as long as you don't go on the boards, accept any gifts, go near the NC mall, or interact with any users in any way, you should be fine, even if interacting with other users is half of the fun.
Teen, 16 years old Written byOnlineUser May 6, 2013

Positive vs. Negative

Prositive: Many active kids. Fun for most.. Negative: Safety problems. Hackers/ Spammers. Not sure if the Staff team there is active. I never saw them around.
Kid, 8 years old February 17, 2013

I dont see anything wrong with it but ...

Im only 8 and im verry addicted to computers , I like this game , But Its boring for me , I have signed up ALOT of times but i never really like it , Its safe but if your kid is bored , Whats the point ?
Teen, 13 years old Written by092898 May 21, 2012
LEARNING

Neopets is really fun!

Very fun, and definitely safe. You can type freely on chat boards if you are over 13, however the boards are heavily moderated and nothing inappropriate gets through. Very young children enjoy Neopets, as do college students- maybe just different parts of it. It's a free site, however you can buy Neocash, which is a virtual currency that you can use to buy items for your pet (don't buy it- it's not worth it). I actually made mine when I was in first grade, and I still play it now- it appeals to a very wide age range.
Teen, 16 years old Written byChembuh April 21, 2012

Neopets now in 2012&what you should know.

I am 16 years old, I think I have been playing since I was 11. But began really getting into it at the age of 13 (as in getting serious about keeping up and making money-the site currency). One thing I suggest to parents is keep your child's time limited on the computer, and make sure they spend time with you and their friends. My parents did not raise me so good...so, never mind. Neopets was never, and is not severely addicting to me. The maximum real-time play I would spend on there is 3 hours. But I do play every day, so maybe that makes me an addict? But I could live a day without it, haha! I say that only kids 10 and up should play this site, because I really don't think it's suitable for the young ones. It used to be so confusing for me to dig deeper in the site...because neopets has a LOT of history. And you have to have some common sense to get the hang of things. And not get into trouble. There is a part of the site that has the neoboards. The neoboards are the message boards. I think there are about 15 different boards, on which you must follow the rule on each one so you don't post something off-topic. I recommend that when you first sign up to the site, that you go to the Help Board. The community there have some regular users (as do several other boards) and they give very good advice, especially if you ask politely. They do get ticked off if you ask rudely. This board is your central source for all information. (And most importantly, read the rules. Nowadays the mods and staff are strict on the rules of the site.) There are real people behind the screen so treat others as you would like to be treated. We are all users answering each others questions- because the mods don't participate. They do monitor, but they don't chat with us. Another thing, a lot of people are sarcastic and do speak their minds at times and end up arguing with each other on the boards. The neoboards are the most horrible part of the site because you can't get along with everyone. Though, there are mature people like 20+ and they just have more intellectual conversations sometimes, and use vocabulary that some teenagers don't understand. So that's a warning for you kiddies. The age gaps causes differences in the community. Anyways, you can get into big trouble by the way you word a post on the message boards. I have gotten in trouble numerous times this year and past year, for things that I thought weren't a big deal. This makes me kind of angry that the staff is being so strict. There are warnings, you get them from theneopetsteam which is the staff. So read the warning and don't do that again. You can get silenced which means they terminate your privileges of using the message boards for the period of time they give you, or even permanently. So yeah, watch what you say before you post. There are suspensions-the dreaded suspensions that means you cannot even play on the website for the amount of time they give you which is a big bummer. The worst you can get is your account terminated for breaking a rule. Nowadays, I think the range of your punishment depends on how bad what you said was, and for breaking a major/ANY rule. There are many words that can get past the filters which is unfortunate. You are allowed to begin your chatting experience at any time at the age of 13 and up. Personally, I think that theneopetsteam should have us take an iq test before being allowed to post there. I swear the neoboards are like a prison. You messages are automatically posted as soon as you press enter, you do not have to wait for approval or anything. Many boards can be made in less than a minute. Very messy. Another way of chatting is neomail. (messages personally sent by people) You can neomail anyone you want, but the chat rules still apply. You can report someone for breaking a rule if the mods don't catch it themselves. Neomail or neoboard. There is also a ticket system (ask the Help board) which basically means you wait in line for a serious problem that you submit in regards to the many glitches that may happen to your account/and or pets. I don't want to talk too much about that. The site has unsatisfactory customer service. Very slow sometimes. I don't think anyone is very "cheery" on the site nowadays. Haha...but what can you do. Do your own thing. Now, about the educational value. They have some flash games that require logic, probably a few. And it really teaches you how to save up and work towards a goal by yourself. You cannot beg for items, pets, or the neopoints (currency) because that is against the rules. The playing side of the site-is fun only if you have fun. If you find yourself trying too hard then maybe you shouldn't play. It is really just a game so don't take it seriously. Big neopoint makers: is the newly added, Habitarium. It's like a giant online ant farm. Time consuming but it's fast neopoints once you reach a high level. Key quest, which is an interactive board game. My personal favorite. You unlock vaults with keys and you get prizes, and you can sell your prizes with your very own shop. And the stock market (mature side of the site-although 13-year-olds can access it) makes you neopoints gradually when you sell and buy stocks. Neopets has a lot of content, but I'll try my best to cover the most viewed parts. Now considering there are many ways you can get neopoints, there are even users who may have a billion in their bank. All from easy games, and being fast when buying a virtual item-then selling it. That's the hard part. I have met people who have 300 million and over-that's really scary. But they are dedicated, or perhaps they have great methods at being consistent. And why are they making so much money? Because they can, and you are never limited on the neopoints you make. And because a lot of the virtual items on the site are expensive. Honestly, if you are poor you won't get much "virtual items" to keep/have in your possession. That's your choice-haha, you make your living even online. Now, about the Neopets. Yes, the virtual pets are called Neopets too. Mostly all of the Neopets are available to create on the create-a-pet-page. When you first join, you have to make one. Even if you don't want to take care of it. Restricted pets are the Draik and Krawk. A Draik is a cartoony-dragony pet which is about the cost of 4 million on the site as of now. The Krawk is a crocadile-like pet and is the cost of 2 million this year. The Draik has to be hatched from an egg. Or they are both attainable from magical items, morphing potions, etc. Those things cost quite a bit. Limited edition pets are pets that appear, and are sometimes able to create on the create-a-pet-page on their pet day. You can ask the help chat what they are because there are several-Sorry! You can give them your own original names, though some can be taken and unavailable for use. You can dress them up with customizable items which is very fun. They are not animated themselves. But the clothes they wear can be. Now violence, yes some users can be violent and have attitude, on what I explained before on the neoboards. Don't worry, if they break rules they'll be warned by the staff. There is also a battledome which is where your virtual pet can fight. But it is not animated-which is no fun. I personally don't participate. But some people like it. It's the only close-to-violent place on the site. The site itself, is very focused on making tons of money. They have the Nc Mall which is neocash mall. Neocash is a real money currency. You have to buy nickelodeon game cards so you can unlock the currency and shop for other items which aren't available otherwise. It consists of clothes and accessories. The big difference is that they are animated, and have better art than the clothes that you buy with neopoints. So people spend and spend. And theneopetsteam have reoccuring events that take place on the site every year. Sometimes new things are introduced. And of course, they contain an option to buy neocash so you can get other items. But it is not required. Another money-maker is premium which means you can be a premium neopets user. So you are paying to play with the advantage of being ad-free and several other great things. Since neopets is partnered with nickelodeon we are getting tons of annoying advertisements. Now, aside from things that you might find complicated around the site-it is relaxing and easy to play. I enjoy my time there-as I put aside the negative parts of the site. But it can disappoint me at times, but nothing big. It is a virtual site, so don't let it affect you. You have a lot of privacy options, so that is good to keep your account safe. There has been controversy about whether neopets is a family site, or kid site, or adult site. It has been said that neopets was originally created for college kids, so it did contain profanity before. But they got rid of that for a larger kid audience. So as of now, it is a family site. Because there are families playing. Tweens, teenagers, adults, and elderly people. So yeah, you should/ can play when your child /or you are in a kid to teen stage and you understand everything I discussed here. Also-neopets content is great..there are new items released every couple of days to a week. And there is even news for every day, minus the weekend. Have fun! I'd give the overall site a 6/10 rating because I still enjoy it and I love my virtual pets. haha. You'll meet lots of people saying the same thing...
Kid, 9 years old April 30, 2011

A VERY BORING WEBSITE!!!!!!

This website is VERY boring!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byulookincool April 9, 2008

SO AWESOME!

I may be addicted, but Neopets is the best website EVER! And to all the other haters, it is WAY safer than Myspace, HELLO! Ok, well it teaches a lot about responsibility and real life stuff. It teaches the value of a dollar. Oh, and to those bubbleheads who think Neopets freezes for no reason? They DONT! They ALWAYS have a reason. Well, its an awesome website and I have been on it for 6 years, and still enjjoy it! :D

The incarnation of Satan

this is the most horrible site ever. If you go you will have your eyes burn out and your brain melted. DO NOT GO TO THIS SITE!! THIS IS MY WARNING
Teen, 13 years old Written byNeopetsFan April 9, 2008
Teen, 15 years old Written byNeo Kabuto April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written byloveablemelove April 9, 2008

Wow

Neopets is awsome. My username is loveablemelove. I've been playing neopets for over 2 years and I think it is nice. The only thing wrong is that neopets focuses more on making money than on the kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFlowerpower8760 July 24, 2015

Pretty good

It's pretty good! I'm kittylie6 and I am doing very well on this game. The only problem is that the neopets need food daily and you can recieve messages from strangers.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJiovannilouis March 3, 2014

Don't bother with this game.

Ive been playing neopets off and on for around 3 years. Its not too fun when you have people going around posting your passwords on the boards, and nothing happening but you getting frozen for protection. When you get frozen, you have to submit a ticket to the support team which SUCK. 10+ months for a ticket reply for them to tell you, you don't have enough information, or its been to long to be able to help you with this. Overall, the site is far from being good. They pull their information from users ideas, and can't even come up with their own. Its a PAY TO PLAY game. If you don't pay, your not going to get special treatment from the staff. If you pay, you don't get frozen for scamming someone, or even doing something so wrong. All they want is the money and don't even care about the players. I can't name a single day in the news, where they haven't mentioned NC items, or even Premium. Don't start playing this game. Many are leaving.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLet_IIt_Rain_ December 2, 2013

Amazing site, but has issues with ads' security...

I have used this website from around age 6. The website is friendly, members on boards are usually kind and will offer appropriate responses (Though I still don't recommend the boards for anyone under eleven or twelve, some users, while TNT does a more than excellent job at filtering things, can be less-than-friendly). The plot on neopets is also very entertaining and will allow kids years of discovery and entertainment. Children can also participate in writing, craft, and art competitions that offer AMAZING prizes. While I find the website itself amazing, it DOES offer some security issues. Neopets itself is very secure, but the ads (run by google ads, I believe) are less than... adequate. Even though the ads contain safe and boring items, some banners found around the site WILL infect your computer with trojan viruses. I have had my computer infected with the virus and it got to such a terrible state that it "blue screen'd" every few seconds, rendering it unusable. I also had my tablet infected while in the neopets' pound (which is an easy way to get pre-painted neopets) and obtained a trojan virus. Luckily it was a virus targeted for PC, but some are not as lucky. So far, the security with ads has been my only problem with the site (there is a PAID version where you can disable all ads, as well as get other privileges). I highly recommend it for children and teens alike, as it has provided me with many years of entertainment and follies about the magical pets of Neopia.
Teen, 13 years old Written bythicklovesnake69 October 19, 2013

bad websight

badddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
Kid, 10 years old September 3, 2013

Since 1999, this site has been better than even Marapets!

This site is better than Marapets! I currently own a camouflage Kyrii (the most powerful pet I have), a glowing Peophin (the one I use to challenge Count Von Roo in Deadly Dice), an electric Tonu, and a Red Poogle (these are both limited-edition pets and are hard to obtain). They are all on the pet directory in Jellyneo. One pet (my Poogle) was on the wrong part of the directory, indicating that my Poogle was once a specked Gelert. Currently, my Poogle is in the correct part of the directory. I often go to the battledome and go to the training school in Mystery Island. Neopets generically doesn't have bad language but with a few exceptions, which are some Neomail, some messages in the Neoboards, and when you get 10,000 Neopoints in a game of bagatelle in the Deserted Fairground at the Haunted Woods, the Lupe hosting the bagatelle game says, "Stupid machine, it isn't supposed to let people win!".
Teen, 14 years old Written byxoxojillianxo January 16, 2013