Parent reviews for OurWorld

Virtual world with games and some smart parental controls.

Adult Written byJaniceCarson August 1, 2019

Children need to mature and grow up.

My children love this game. One day, I took a closer look at the game and realized that teens aged 12 and older, communicate with each other from how they view themselves. They really bring out their personalities and that's what I want for my children, for them to bring out the best of them. To conclude, teens really need to embrace their personalities, and be who they want to be.

Adult Written bydays122 July 28, 2019

I play OurWorld. Let me tell you what I think!

I've been playing OurWorld since 09' I'am now 18 years of age and I still play to this day even though I took breaks. OurWorld is a social platform that does try to censor things in the sense of cussing and there is a report button and a blocking button but that only shields you from a few people not all of OurWorld. OurWorld has things called "Partys" and you can go to one that fits your "needs or wants" Like trading events or just normal hanging out and talking. OurWorld does have encouraging things for dating you can send your heart to some one and even get married they also have singles parts and even....grosser ones. OurWorld does require A LOT of money to play and I do not think kids should play for that reason. For example when I was younger and I wanted to buy a Res card or Zoe's (resident cards + Zoe's came with gems any hair color you want the beach and you can make party's and events and even can put things in your marketplace to trade) I made my own money for it and I never asked a single soul to pay for it because I knew they would say no and I was not about to steal from my family or friends.. OurWorld has changed over there years for the worse but there is always people who lie on this game or any game for that matter some times we have been the liar. Kids and Adults lie about there age on here or ANY SOCIAL GAME. Its made trusting people in real life kinda hard because you never know who they truly are and you never will . There is forms of bulling on this game but its not nearly bad any more. I still think kids that make some form of money can play but they have to have... COMMON SENSE. If you have any questions you can ask on here

Adult Written byKayKayboo February 26, 2019

Not a game to play

Idk if the game is safe or not it can be iffy but i don't trust the game myself so . But i do know it has older guys on it talking to underage girls. So i would not play this just like any virtual game being "safe" i dont trust it, it has players calling new people "noob" and ugly. They just want to scam you and take your money.

Adult Written byPandamediatalk December 13, 2018

it's not the best online game for kids under 15...

lets face it, ive been playing this game under many accounts since i was like 14. at first i actually liked the game, i thought it was better than movie star planet. but i was dead wrong, some kids on here are just complete a**holes, if they're not that then its either sexual talk or getting people to share personal info with them. i am now 18 years old and i have an account for ourworld, so far no issues to report now that im older. but please parents if you're going to let your kids play this game make sure you're watching them closely

Adult Written byXxKayKayXx October 16, 2018

not for underage kids

Worst and boring game ever from what i experienced as a former ourworld player is that they cuss have seck if u know what i mean they talk to underage players, people who clam to be their age,and pedophiles. the other thing is there are older guys who will talk to young girls and ask them to take their clothes off for sex and etc.

Adult Written byGeekyPeaky August 24, 2018

What a load of crap

Visuals:
It's visually painful to look at. Constant lag, horrid aesthetics, it's got it all. Some "high level" users have decent looking avatars, but from the get-go you're limited to looking... strange. It's easy for anyone to be put off by it.

Sound: The sound effects are... okay. Nothing to write home about, though I haven't tried many games. The music is loud and obnoxious. Thankfully there is an option to mute it, but that is never saved, so once you log back in, your eardrums are ruptured once more.

Games: They are all ugly, cruddy, basic, generic games. I haven't tried many, but the few I tried were all terrible. Also, there's Texas Hold'em. Seems nobody plays. At least, nobody plays with small bets. This is a HUGE problem as the "gold" in the game can be bought with real money, thus, it has actual value, and thus, is actual gambling. Don't let your kids play "Poker Cabana", but that should go without saying.

Community/Chat: Almost nobody talks, and the few who do rarely say anything meaningful. The chat feature has an abysmal filter that messes up completely innocuous words like "vaguely". There's no value here, unless if you are lucky enough to find a friend worth conversing with. I almost met someone worth chatting with, but the first thing she asked me was my age, which isn't good. I highly doubt she meant anything by it, but it goes to show how socially inept users typically are. I'm certain there are good people on OurWorld, but they are overshadowed by awkward kids who have no understanding of proper sentence structure, creepers looking to scam or engage in cyber sex, and the most abundant: the silent ones.

As for how safe the game is for kids, teach them common sense. There are going to be creeps on OurWorld, so, make sure your kids are armed with that knowledge, and keep an eye on what they are doing on the service.

Ultimately, OurWorld fails spectacularly in pretty much every conceivable way, but with a discerning eye, and a somewhat mature brain behind the keyboard, it's not that harmful. It's all about making virtual money so you can wear flashy, oft stupid looking outfits for pretty much no reason other than to show off. I don't recommend it to anyone who has any sense of quality, but parents, don't fret too much. It's a trashy, poorly optimized, repugnant "game", but as long as play is limited and supervised, your child won't be scarred.

Recommended 12+ supervised and limited play, 16+ unsupervised, as long as they have the mental capacity and judgment to avoid the darker aspects of OurWorld.

OurWorld gets a 1/10 when it comes to pure quality of its service. What people see in it is beyond me.

Adult Written byleslie w. April 9, 2018

A few ups and downs :]

I love oW. I've been a member since 2009. I've had great experience with this game. I still play this game too but not as much. There are a few things you need to look out for:

1. The swearing. I don't know how and why people still swear in this game even though there's a strict filter for that. For the past 9 years, It have gotten tremendously worse. You really cannot go one day without someone swearing aggressively. Their literally spamming in that chat box. And you really can't do anything about it, I mean what could you do??Report them? What good would that do? They'll just make another account >:\.

2. Provocative clothing. OW does have great fashion and thousands of clothes to choose from. But I've seen people's avatar dressed so FAR OUT "if you know what i mean". It would literally make you feel like you're playing IMVU. Sometimes I forget it's even a kids game.

3. Sexual intercourse. I'm gonna be 100% with you. People REALLY do have sex in this game. There's lots of perverts in game, and they WILL ask you to go to their condo and...well... you know what happens next.

4. Hackers and thieves. I don't know how much i could stress over this topic. Please FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST!!! do not share your information online don't even tell them how much "gems" you have. I don't care how well you know that person. I've seen and people's accounts being hacked or should i say ROBBED . And it doesn't just stops there >:C.

So all of you parents are curious, I wouldn't recommend this game to 12yo or under. In my opinion, If your child haven't reached it's teen years such as 13 and up, I wouldn't recommend it. There too inexperience for a game that secretly includes adult content. :(

Adult Written byAveryC 3 February 23, 2016

Check it out first

Well what I think is I don't think it's a very good game to play on for your little ones because it has older people on it and they have s*x on it to. You might need to think about it before letting your kids play it.

Adult Written bySarahV 1 January 5, 2016

Well here's a big reason

I played this game for 5 years and, i thought the game was safe back then ever since I played the game there are perverts everything flirting with you and making out with random people, a lot of people didn't know this but I had experience a lot plus the community on there is really bad, because low levels get make fun of and you don't even do anything about it. So I think for those who have children that play this, please warn them about the perverts and stalkers and the online dating I don't think younger kids should be playing this because 1. cause of the bullying on there (from the low levels) 2. The online dating (cause some love aren't real on the internet) 3. The making out (kinda stuff) and 4. Some people are saying really inappropriate stuff on there!

Adult Written byDomokun October 15, 2015

Dont Bother

This is a game app that lures people to buying virtual currency. Ive talked to many people online and they get a hold of their parents credit card to buy stuff which is a very bad way to let anyone start a deceitful life.

Adult Written byAstrid Griffin Blake August 29, 2015

Age limits

Well some people on ourworld ask for people's age, name (real), which country they are from which is fine if parent says so if the child is likely to tell the person just talk your child through what will happen. Another thing is some people take of their clothes and have bikinis... bikinis are fine in my opinion for ages 8 and up as in clubpenguin which is made by disney they have bikinis and the age rating for that is 5 and up.

Adult Written byAveryC 1 July 10, 2015

Kinda good

People should think about letting your kids play this game the girls and boys are naked in the game & have used bad words.

Parent Written byaveryc June 19, 2015

Safe

It's a good game its not like Imvu who has let people age 18 & up have inappropriate conversations with older people.

Adult Written bycoolm February 24, 2015

Very educational

Very super educational because my son learned some communications at home throught this game. Originally he is very timid now he is more interact to other. He also knew saying bad words are wrong as this game filters all the bad words away. he also learned how to spend money wisely . He learned many things as this is very educational. Good game.

Adult Written byBewb January 16, 2015

reality

It teaches children about how dangerous real life is and it allows parents to see whether they can make good choices by themselves.
Adult Written byfirespark January 13, 2015

Super fun, although players find ways to avoid filters.

It's a great and fun game, fantastic for weekends or playing with friends. Although, there are two main problems -- first off, there is a filter. Although this filters out the real swears, older players (16+) sometimes find ways to avoid it and type swears and sexual terms with replaced letters, but in the way that what they're saying is still clear. However, most users and children 11+ know to stay away from these types of people, and that these people are very rare to encounter in the first place. The other problem is consumerism. Almost everywhere you look, between loading screens, before blocked off rooms, you see advertisements for "residency", an in game pass to exclusive features which you can only get by paying real money. Also, almost all the fashionable clothes and items in ourworld need to be purchased with gems. Gems are a little hard to obtain, and you can go without buying them by either: doing advertisement offers/surveys or using monthly gem codes to save up the gems, but that only gives you 10 gems per month. I got 200 gems (quite a lot) by doing simple offers and that only took 15 minutes, yet I cannot find any other offers like those ones. Even though there are these ways to earn gems, the easiest way is to pull out the credit card. Overall, I think this game is alright for ages 11+, but not okay/should be monitored at all times for kids younger than 10 because they will know and have probably been taught to get away from people who are using language and sexual talk.

Adult Written byenxhi2222 October 17, 2014

someone scammed like 50 gems!

someone scammed my kid with an amonut like 50 gems pls do something

Adult Written byhaashiao August 3, 2014

It is a very useful and creative game.

Me being an MMOSG [Massively Multiplayer Online Social Games] researcher out of hobby, ourWorld was THE game that inspired me to become a game reviewer. Not just that, The economy in the game is amazing!!! It is like nothing else out there, it beats the living heck out of Gaia Online.
Not just that, I have been a member of the community since I was 15, practially almost 4 years ever since I joined.
This game gave me what real life could not as I was, and still am, an introverted person because of my PTSD condition which doesn't allow me to interact well with other kids [even at this age]. This game took awaymost my social fears away... It gave me a sense of confidence as a person and improved my graphic art skills. It gave me a proper sense of style, and also is still worth going to even though I am above the average age the game is directed to.

Of course there are players who always work their way around the censorship, we at the official forums discuss this issue constantly and try to work as a force against it because behind this amazing game, there is only ONE man working behind it all despite all the reputation it has.
This DOES NOT mean that the game itself is bad.

As for the economy, even though there is the Gems option which can be earned through videos and surveys [which you should supervise your kids with, because even though ourWorld was made Teen friendly, the companies that provide the extra service are not].
Gems are the premium currency in the game that replace the need to accumulate coins, which really doesn't matter because the longer the player spends in the game, the easier it will be to get what they want.

Players get to meet others with common interests from around the world. Which means they feel like they belong somewhere. And that, I have to say is amazing.

I still point out that there is a big problem with the language and the acting of sexual exposure. This is something that is being constantly fought against. Because since the internet is a different place, anybody can become anonymous.
It is up to the community of the game itself to end such thing, which is currently undergoing constant action.

I understand if you, as a parent would not like to let your child immerse into a game that gives a lot of options. But as a parent you too have to understand that these kind of games are the special simulation that your child needs to know how to direct themselves directly socially if they don't know how, and it also helps a lot in the self-discovery section.

I encourage you to let your child give it a try under your supervision if under the age of 16, because of course, the internet is anonymous and you have no idea if the person they will be talking to is an old twat pedofile.
Adult Written byunknown mom October 18, 2013

amazing game

hey folks!!!! I am a mother of two loving children. they both love ourworld game. it is a great game it teaches kids socializing skills and interpretation. I wasn't worried about bad things happening. since the ourworld staff blocks out any bad language it is all filtered too!!!!! lets say something bad was to happen. say your child's account got hacked or something. they can handle it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they are smarter than you think. also anyone that hacks will get caught in the end!!!!!!!!!!! why should we be worry?

Parent of a 16-year-old Written byMrs. Wodetski September 11, 2013

ourWorld - A great website for my daughter to enjoy her self!

Hello, I am Isabella - Mother of Cassidy. I have recently just tried ourWorld myself. I made my way up to level 23, and I am completely enjoying the game! I went into my daughter's room to find her playing ourWorld; which I've never seen her playing before. She was decorating her 'condo', with her female avatar... So I decided to give it a try! I talked to a few people my age, which I am 29, and I got to get a ton of coins to buy items for my character from the 'Super Store' and the 'Market Place'! You spend your flow, and you can sell all of the items you have won to get coins. I love to decorate my condo, creating new styles for my character, and exchanging my items for other items! It's a great way for my child to bond, because she was just under a lot of stress lately with school and show choir, and she ended up making good friends through the internet, and her happiness had started building up again, which I appreciate very much. I know there may be some cases of cyber-sex but every kid should use their right mind so they know not to do it. I really hope this helped, because I find this game amazing!