All member reviews for Poptropica

Island-hopping adventure is hours of safe fun, but with ads.

Learning(i)

Adult Written bySnakeRiverMom March 6, 2011

good for older kids, keep younger ones away!

the islands are too difficult, period. I am an adult and often find myself calming my kids down because they are very upset that they can not move forward in a challenge. Too much "losing" and not enough reward for hours of upset and bad nerves. Only for older kids who are game addicted.
Kid, 11 years old March 18, 2011

Great for kids all ages

This is really good. Poptropica was great for me when I was growing up about at 8 or so... Thats because I never heard of it untill then. Poptropica is very fun and has problem solving in it. There is some violence but its only just when they are problem solving.
Parent Written byMr Wesley May 11, 2010

Probably best for kids between 8-12.

My kids discovered this site a few months back. I made a quick check to make certain there were obvious spam attacks or inappropriate content, and I found none, so I let them play with the promise that I'd have to come back to dig a little deeper later. Once I started, I found myself sucked into the game for more than a week before I could pry myself away. Poptropica is a platformer/puzzler. The conceit behind the game is that you travel to different islands, each of which feature a different adventure. Themes include everything from history and time travel to world cultures to wacky mad scientists. Genres stretch from mystery to sci-fi and fantasy. This is mainly a single-player game. There are a few mini-games that you can play with other players, but those are easily avoided if you prefer to focus on the larger campaigns. This game is light in tone, but some of the puzzles will be at least a little challenging to adults. And one of the best parts about Poptropica is that it is currently being supported. There's a team constantly developing new islands, and they give previews to new islands through the blog. Compare that to many kid-oriented sites that the creators just seem to abandon and forget to turn out the lights. Now, some drawbacks: Yes there is sometimes advertising in the frame around the game window, and certain islands have corporate sponsorship. But from what I've seen so far, those ads are always in the background and never impact the story. And this is definitely a puzzle game first and an educational tool second. Most worlds are based around some sort of educational goal (history, culture, art), but the factoids kids might learn are incidental to the game play. Since there is absolutely no sound in the game, you do need to be a pretty secure reader in order to understand the rules and goals of each game. Otherwise, younger players will just find themselves clicking about randomly. And it is a bandwidth hog. If you're running an older machine, this game will make it slow to a crawl, which will definitely impact some of the more action-oriented puzzles. Two responses to other reviews I've seen here. I've played through all the worlds available for free at the time, and I saw nothing referring to the Christian creation story. On the other hand, Poptropica rotates in new adventures every few weeks, so that particular island may have been removed. And anyone who thinks they're not allowed to save their game hasn't seen the big blue button in the corner of the game screen that reads "SAVE." Poptropica is just a diversion, really. It's not as involved or violent as World of Warcraft or another MMO, but kids who are too advanced or not advanced enough may become bored quickly. Perhaps the biggest benefit of the game is that you can introduce some deeper discussions about the islands' various themes, to see if your child has developed an interest in them worth furthering.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJosieGrl April 1, 2011

Good site

Fun! There are islands for every skill ability. However, some parts of islands are very frustrating even for me! So, basically, it's great! But, just make sure that you don't get overly frustrated!
Kid, 11 years old March 15, 2011

Good website I've tried ti a couple of times btu never really liked it. I perfeeer when you can chat without scripts.
Kid, 10 years old February 10, 2011

Oh, it is toooooo Scary! I couldn't beat any island all because of big spiders and more scary stuff! :(
Parent of a 10 year old Written bycandylove December 23, 2010

I love it. It is so totally appropriate but, why not let the kids talk I mean let them have one warning and if they do what ever they did at first or something different thing that was bad banned them and make them write an good paper on what they did and what they will or would do if they get back on.Oh, and if they type garbage just banned them. When you guys get their paper discuss what all of you think and vote on it.I am so sorry if I got in the way of what you all are or were already doing but, that was just my opinion.Also my child is an poptropican anyway.
Kid, 11 years old May 9, 2010

I love it! But just 1 problem, I was playing mythology island and when I was helping get the drachma for cleaning the graffiti the computer crashed! so every time i talks to the dude with the bucket it acts like he already gave me the drachma!!! so i cant buy the bag of winds!!! please help!
Adult Written bybasbel October 9, 2011

COOL

This is so cool
Teen, 15 years old Written byEmmaReads April 26, 2011

Challenging

I used to be a big fan of this site but became too old for it. Poptropica is fun and challenging from beginning to end. It will get your mind working all the way through. Its a great site for all ages (cartoon spiders, etc are involved however).It's a great site, you should try it out!
Teen, 13 years old Written byferret lover April 19, 2011

poptropica is awesome!

Poptropica is a very fun website! and when you go in the chat rooms there are prescript messages for you, thats nice because no one can call you a bad name (etc.) i like lots of of the islands on poptropica, because the islands are not to easy but not to hard. p.s. i cant wait until the new island red dragon comes out! p.p.s. when does red dragon island come out?
Kid, 9 years old March 11, 2011

LOVE IT

i have 1 account
Parent of a 9 year old Written byjadenmatt February 27, 2011

we love it
Parent of a 9 year old Written bynyla62502 January 28, 2011

Kid, 11 years old January 9, 2011

Love it!

I love this website! However my 7 year old sister thinks it's too hard so I recomend it for kids 8+. Sometimes it has violence like boss fights and has tons of ads. But the membership isn't so bad, non-members can still go on the same Islands and buy the same stuff at the store. It's also educational and you need to use your brain to solve the islands.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byjake111 March 7, 2010

It gives you kids their own world

It is perfect for kids 8-13.My two kids love it
Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written bywhatsreal September 11, 2009

Love this free, online game for a simple good time with some educational benefit

I highly recommend this site! It does have some ads, but they are easily ignored and my 8 year old LOVES this game... she would give it 5 stars :-)
Teen, 14 years old Written byClandestine March 15, 2015

Common Sense and Problem Solving

I've been playing this game since its release in 2007. Several islands are released and each with a great plot and mental challenge. Recently(-ish) most things have become available to members only ... Which really sucks... If your child (or you or whoever) has rage quits or anger issues or a lack of patience they may get easily annoyed when unable to complete a task
Parent of a 2, 4, 8, 10, 14, 14, 14, and 17 year old Written byparentof7 March 1, 2015

LEARNING

good

my child who just turned 2 loves it
Adult Written byosnapitst February 26, 2015

Great Game!

Poptropica is a great game for anyone, I have been playing it since age of 9 (when i first discovered it) good even for learning.