All member reviews for SmallWorlds

Engaging virtual world for teens and adults.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byStexan March 18, 2009

SmallWorlds NOT for Kids

Who are we kidding? If you want a safe web site for your child to play games on, go to Disney. Smallworlds is not a safe website for children of any age. I've been on the website with more than one avatar and if I am not being bombarded by some 14 year old asking if I want to be their girlfriend of boyfriend (depending on what avatar I'm playing) someone else walks in the room with an Avatar whose name is Sexy Panther. SmallWorlds moderators are usually 14 year olds in my experience and are not all that helpful. Their response to being harassed by anyone is to block them and or lock your room. There are many adults on SmallWorlds, most of the people I've run across are between the ages of 17-45. I won't allow my 12 year old play this game and I wouldn't allow him to play it if he was 15 years old unless I was sitting right next to him. Some rooms might not allow the use of swear words or any other type of inappropriate language but there is NO sensorship of email whatsoever. I've repeatedly asked Smallworlds to make a over 18 portion and an under 18 portion but I am sure they won't. I've even come across men posing as teens trying to pick up young girls, reported them and seen them banned for a day or two, but nothing prevents them from creating another Avatar or 10. This site scares me in regards to SmallWorlds attitude about harassment especially when it comes to sexual harassment. There is no way to prove or disprove your age on SmallWorlds and until they come out with a way to enfore AGE proof and be able to recognize it on the avatar itself, my child won't play. For the person who wrote the clothes are sexless, I've seen avatars that look like whores or worse with mid-driff tops and mini-skirts and more make up than a clown. I've seen avatars that look better than people, who cares if they aren't anatomical...ask anyone on there and they'll tell you that there are some sexy avatars on SmallWorlds. This place IS NOT suitable for CHILDREN or UNSUPERVISED.
Adult Written bySmallworlds007 August 10, 2013

Most Corrupt Game EVER

Smallworlds had a broken space search function for almost a year preventing all but one player to have spaces for sale appear. They have been allowed by staff of the game to take over virtually all sales of used spaces, and the owners refuse to take action despite a year long attempt by one player in the forums to make staff and players aware of this. It's plainly obvious to all players that staff doesn't care and refuse to take any action to mitigate the issue. Despite repeated posts in the How Are We Doing and Voice Your Opinion forums, staff remain silent. Don't waste your money on this game as your kids will just end up losing it all because of owners and staff that just don't care.
Parent Written byconcernedmomoftwo June 26, 2014

Disgusted!

Smallworlds.com is a virtual game based around 13 years of age and older, complete with cyber bullying, virtual sex, swearing and violence. Moderation are not official employees of Outsmart and are handpicked average players. Moderation abuses players IP addresses in order to spy on playing accounts, chat conversations and transactions for their own amusement. Smallworlds.com is unsafe and unsecure. Since the cyber bullying, virtual sex, swearing and violence has got so severe, they now place an official Outsmart Staff member in a known popular space called Town Center. I have witnessed this particular Staff member belittle their very own paying customers and players who are most likely teenagers. Below are screenshots. I do not, nor will I ever, recommend this game to any parent let alone any human being. Just say NO to Smallworlds.com! Screen 1: http://i57.tinypic.com/2jbjgiu.png Screen 2: http://i59.tinypic.com/517qme.png
Kid, 11 years old July 6, 2010

It's not that inappropriate....

You know what? If you're actually smart, you can lie to people! LIE to pedos! I live in New York City and I ALWAYS tell people my name is Erikka Monez, I'm from San Diego, California and I'm 19 yrs old. I even made a fake myspace for god sakes! If there are people harassing or using sexual behavior or something else inappropriate, there is and option to report them to the SmallWorlds Moderators and they will get banned for an amount of time due to the severity of the situation. If you can handle some swearing, and the whole boyfriend girlfriend thing, you can play SmallWorlds.
Teen, 16 years old Written bybrileyw1 July 8, 2011

Trust Your Kids

I think this website is safe for your children if your kids dont get in the wrong situation... This site is safe for your children if you think you can trust your kids. Most places on Smallworlds ban you from using sexual type words and/or swear words.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bystargirl13 May 1, 2011

good for 12 years and up

my daughter plays it. it seems very edcucational but on the other hand there sre some bad words that people say that i have seen. so i suggest for people 12 and up. its a fun game but it can also influence the kids and can put out some personal information
Parent Written byMumGamer September 24, 2012

Not suitable for children.

I am actually an adult player of this game myself and have played in virtual worlds for many years. My own 11 year old daughter previously played a game similar to this which claimed to be suitable for 8 year olds and I stopped her from playing it due to her getting messages from boys containing sexual content. Small worlds has an age restriction of 13 and my daughter hasn't played it but I have myself for several months. There are a lot of things that I enjoy about the game and there is a lot to do such as climbing the levels and you can also grow plants, craft objects and that side of the game is fine and thats what I focus on. I rarely use the social side of the game as most of the other players seem to be very young and mostly all they seem to want to talk about is being your boyfriend/girlfriend, asking for money, trying to gain access to your account, using bad language which they simply alter the spelling of to get around the swear word block so constantly seeing 'niga', 'bych' 'hoe' etc. While wandering around the game I've been approached and asked if I wanted to have sex with boys, take part in lesbian threesomes and other crudely worded sexual activity like 'let me suck your titties' etc. None of this is uncommon at all. As an adult I can ignore all this and get on with the quieter side of the game as many of the adults on there do. I dread to think how many dubious adults are on there having roleplay sex with 12 year old girls though.. I wouldn't let a young teenager anywhere near it personally.
Parent Written byfarmmum February 8, 2012

No suitable for young teens...

Dont bother with Smallworlds. My daughter played avidly and i helped her by doing the 'factory' surveys to save up gold tokens to become a VIP member (i wouldn't let her spend her hard earned real money). What a waste of time! No sooner had she secured some gold tokens, then a avatar she didn't know approached her and asked to be her friend, and her account was HACKED! all gold stolen, clothes stolen... VERY upset. We even found out the name of the person and approached them on Smallworlds, but they denied it. We reported them but as they are a VIP member Smallworlds didn't block. I asked my daughter to delete her account as we were worried her email address would be made public. She will not play Smallworlds now. Don't bother to put your kids through the pain unless they are really really savvy...play moshi monsters or bin weavils instead!
Adult Written byReikaGreen July 25, 2011

To address parental concerns

I am an avid user of this game. Honestly, I think it's just fine for most teens to use. I do not agree with parents that say this site is not safe for any teen to use. If that is the case then they should be banning their child from all internet and cell phone privliges! The internet and most other technology has made things that you would normally want to keep from children readily available. I have been playing this game for a little over 1 year now and I think it's great! They have wonderful missions that teach users how to avoid scammers and teach how to report someone that is harrassing them. If the child/teen decides not to use these methods of protection then that is their choice. There are also many missions with positive, educational, and even moral issues addressed. So aside from the ocasional bad apple (in my experience, for anyone who is being lude or harrasing, usually there are many regular members who will come to help a person in need of help to get a moderator or help them block that user. Most people in the game are pleasant and want to keep the game that way.) the game is a wonderful outlet for children ages 13 and older. I think it is a great way to help children deal with real world situations as you are dealing with people from around the world. So as long as you take measures to protect yourself (as you would need to do on ANY social website) this can be a great game for anyone!
Teen, 13 years old Written byLOVELOVESMILE November 1, 2013

This site is very bad

I was on Smallworlds and at first it was fun. They bullied me because of my skin color and called me noob. Everytime I would go on there they would say I deserved to die,blackhead, or said your so black. I reported so many people and they still didn't get introuble. Some of them dress really inappropriate with there bellies out and really short shorts and skirts. They would listen to music about private parts and foul language. They go around saying twerk team. Most of them are adults or pedohpiles. There are alot of kids dating on there. I remember talking to this one girl I said you don't even know him. She said I don't care hes cute and I date whoever I want. Most of the peoples mottos say "Single <3". Trust me most of you dont even know that your kids probably are playing this game. I wouldn't go back on this site if they give me a million dollars.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bychijioke123 March 3, 2011

a good way to meet other people and be cool
Kid, 10 years old June 15, 2010

i love Smallworlds. In fact I play this with my daughter she is safe she can handle the language and she walks away.
Kid, 11 years old January 11, 2010

cool site

i think that if you have a 11 year old it wold be safe for them also to start them with a vip.
Parent Written byBentfish May 21, 2014

Worthless Company

Do not let your children play here. People (adults and children) talk about sex and other raunchy stuff everywhere in this game. You are supposed to be 13 to play, but I've seen 8 year old getting hit on by sexual predators. Moderation in this game is none existent. People can swear and talk nasty all they want and there is little to no discipline acted. Also, this company steals money from its players. Stay away.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySmallworldHelp October 29, 2012

LEARNING

Amazing World!

It is amazing, if there is any bad language, the avatar will be booted from the place they are in, it is an AMAZING virtual world for kids and tweens, they can have goals on this game, like, getting up to 1,500 gold for VIP, it's perfect! You could buy gold with real money, or earn it by watching videos! I love Smallworlds! Your child could add me on Smallworlds if they need any help at all, Although I am not a moderator, I will be glad to help your child! -With all love, Alyssa Bling
Kid, 11 years old October 11, 2012

Lies/Users

I honestly like sW but other people like me shouldn't be playing that game people use sexual volience/words and kids lie about their ages to go on that game! smallworlds can't do anything to stop underaged users and it's stupid for people to report others and that "bad user" just gets bad for a couple of days!
Parent Written bychappy_1269 June 12, 2012

MAJOR SECURITY FLAWS / NO WAY TO CANCEL ACCOUNT

If your child leaves their smallworld account logged in somewhere (school, library, friend's house) someone can change the password and associated email address without knowing the original password. That person can then pretend to be your child and get personal infromation from his/her friends. If you are unfortunate enough to have entered your credit/debit card information into the system they can buy whatever crap they want. Not sure if they can get your credit card info for purchases outside the site, but it is bad enough for me to opt out. By opt out, I mean change the password and take control of the account, because I can't find an easy way to cancel.
Kid, 12 years old March 13, 2012

Inappropriate Money Waster; Extremely Addictive; Sex...

Ok, I was addicted to smallworlds for the entire summer. But, I was banned BECAUSE I was HACKED. It is very easy to get hacked, because I accidentally misspelled my email address, and I got into somebody else's account. And its that simple! Many times I was crying or very upset about something that another player said, and it was offensive. YOU GET TO DECIDE THE CURSING SETTING FOR YOUR HOUSE! So, its not very fair if you go to another space with curse setting on, because they can curse you out. And, you can buy a double bed in this game, and pretend to have virtual sex. And there are a GUNS that people can buy, and one is a controller, so they can control you into their bed. And, there are constantly advertisements for you to buy new furniture or clothing from them, and you can SPEND TONS OF MONEY ON THERE! I was taking my dads credit card to buy smallworlds stuff. So, have a parent get on for about a week, and let them decide how the game is...this is just my personal opinion.
Parent Written byTbladeKing September 12, 2011

My Smallworlds Review :)

I Think Smallworlds is great! In matter of fact one thing you gotta becareful of is [HACKERS] these individuals can do a lot of things like; Hack into there account,find information,etc all those sorts of thing's thats all that matters and being scammed is worst smallworlds is a safety environmental because there's no need to worry it matter if the Child Or Teen Either and Adult is mature enough to take immaturity from other Teens or other's who can't control there selves. The one thing I judge about parents about is called blocking avatars on smallworlds which they always forget to do it's always to keep it that way if they have a bad name or such kind of potential just ignore them parents should teach there kids how to do that, because parents should not just get mad. Well thats all i have for today thanks for reading this folks :).
Parent of a 14 and 15 year old Written byIndigoDreamer November 29, 2014

Bad Influence

I don't know how much time the reviewer actually spent on this site but as someone who has been on and off for quite a while now I have to say nothing about this game is good for children. It is full of incredibly nasty bullies, sex, dreadful language and a staff base who doesn't deem it necessary to do a damn thing about any of it. Over time it has just gotten worse. This site disgusts me. I have seen many avatars asking others to perform virtual sexual acts of various kinds, the general behavior is so despicable it makes me wonder if these kids even have any parents to guide them into becoming decent human beings and it's community is full of hate, greed and elitism. This game is NOT a game you want your teen on, believe me.