Easy way to stream vast music collection; no content filter.

Parent of a 17 year old Written byJackieA March 5, 2012

Good music but wasn't what I expected!

I guess I should have known that nothing comes for free! Until I examined the site, actually through Wikipedia, I thought the ads were the way the site made money. So, unless I wanted unlimited access or no ads, I was o.k. I didn't realize that after a 6-mos. limit, you can only listen 10 hours a month and songs can only be played 5 times. Content can definitely be R-rated but that it did say so for each song if you pulled up an album. I arbitrarily picked ages 14-up...that would be up to parents. Also, I am just not going to pay $10 a month to listen to music.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTechn0boy96 November 26, 2011

Overall well designed with minor flaws

It's a great application, however requires a Facebook account. The best thing about it is the sharing and social aspect, it allows you to discover new music and share your own personal tastes.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bysamanthad1 July 23, 2015

Great app, not for kids.

I love Spotify and have the paid subscription. You do not need a fb acct to sign up. My biggest gripe is that there is very little editing of the songs like on the radio. You get the full curse word versions. I let my kids sign on using my login and they pulled up the songs they've heard many times safely in the car and BAM out blare the curse words. They won't be using it until there is a kid-friendly version.
Kid, 10 years old July 7, 2014

Spotify

I Think that Most kids 10 and up should be aloud on Spotify it is very rare that anyone is going to hear a swear in a song and even if they don't know swears it's just going to pass over their heads. I have Spotify and I listen to it almost every day. Great free app.
Kid, 10 years old March 26, 2014

I love love love Spotify!!!

I have an account on spotify (my mum's Facebook account, I'm not allowed one) and it's amazing! My brother has a couple of playlists on my account which I let him use sometimes and he is seven. My little sister loves dancing to my playlists as well!!! She has her own playlist which is full of songs from her favourite shows - and Happy by Pharrell Williams! - like Sofia the First and Doc McStuffins soundtracks. Unless you type in something you shouldn't, results won't come up for it, even in the Top Charts they take out the ones your child shouldn't listen to. I wouldn't give an off rating for any age because it is my three year old sister with the Disney songs and my one year old second cousin (who I see a lot more than my cousins) loves the songs as well - pop songs, inherited that from my sister as her favourites are Happy, Wrecking Ball (NOT the video!), Scream & Shout and The Monster! My 2C's (second cousin's) favourites are Taylor Swift, he is obsessed with Taylor's songs though he doesn't really understand the meaning of them. Good for any age I just put eight because by that age you would know not to type in things you shouldn't.
Adult Written byyaof May 2, 2015

Reviews

I think this app just be fine, because this app is most useful for the people who want to purchase this app. If you don't want to purchase this app, I don't recommend you to use this app as a daily tool. First, all the music will play randomly, so you can't choose listening any music by yourself. Second, It will insert advertisement sometimes and you can not skip it. Third, you only can skip five songs once a time in 1 hour. ( If I remembered correctly.) However, if you decide to buy this app, it;s gonna be a good choice.
Kid, 11 years old June 12, 2014

Know what you're doing.

Spotify is an amazing music service. I love it and I listen to it all the time! Be careful though. Some music is explicit and it doesn't have the symbol that shows it as explicit. All kinds of music goes on there. Okay, so I didn't really agree with the review CommonSense gave it. It doesn't focus on sharing, it focuses on music. You have the option of allowing followers and you can follow others. You can share music or playlists you make with your followers along with a message. You can chat with other users and that can contain language too. They will recommend artists to you and you can follow them. When you follow someone, all of their activity is put in the activity log on the right side. It shows their shared playlists, their messages, and songs they have recently listened to. If you don't want your activity recorded, you can go into settings and turn on the "private session" mode. This will go for as long as you don't have activity on Spotify for a while, or when you restart Spotify. You can connect your account with Facebook and then you will have a profile picture - your Facebook picture. It will also have your friends that are also Spotify users. You can upgrade to Spotify Premium for $10 a month and you can have unlimited skips for songs on the iPhone and Android (You can only have the playlist shuffle on your mobile device and can't choose which song you want. Thats where it becomes like Pandora.) You also have no advertisements. Overall, I think this is a very good music service. I like it better than Pandora and others.
Parent Written bycathgus August 27, 2013

correcting error about Facebook and Spotify.

There is an error in the review above (as of 8/27/13). You do not need to link your Spotify account to a Facebook account. You can log in via Spotify. I just downloaded it to my pc and am listening for the first time - without connecting to FB. Other than that, I haven't explored enough to be able to say much about it. My 11 year old daughter is begging for it, to I'm checking it out.
Parent Written bythisiscommonsense September 4, 2012

Spotify-Disappointing 'Music' Program

Okay, so I let my 12 year old son download this in March. Today he came up and asked me for premium membership?? So I was like 'It's only music, why do you need premium membership!?' and he was like 'To listen to music Gawd.' I looked at his playlists and found out he was listening to music like '* THOSE *' by the 'DOUBLE ENTRENDE HURR DURRS'. I quickly uninstalled the program and was forced to put a parental controls settings on my computer. I should've come to this site earlier-it would've given me a rough guide on this 'music' program!
Teen, 14 years old Written byelmo1997 April 25, 2012

im thinking that there is a lot of music that parents dont want there kids to listen to. Make sure they see that,
Teen, 14 years old Written byryder3x3 July 25, 2013

Fantastic source of music!

Great site for music. Where I listen to all my music. The only problem are the advertisements and occasional unavailable songs. Explicit music is possible to come along, but a lot of albums have clean versions of songs. Overall great website.
Teen, 17 years old Written byRosebud95 January 25, 2013

Really awesome

Obviously, since you can listen to most music, they're some iffy content, but overall, it's a fun (app?)
Teen, 13 years old Written byYepOreo February 17, 2017

Spotify needs to be better!!!!

Everytime I add the playlist to the song I want to listen to, it won't play the exact song I want anymore it'll just play another which I hate. And what up with the price with premuim I can't pay for that every month. Spotify is being extra. It awful now. The most frustrating complaint I have is the first one. LWell actually they are both tied. Spotify premuim should be at least 3.99. Spotify needs to stop trying to make a of that dough. A lot of people have & use this app anyway. That's Spotify's money maker right there.
Kid, 12 years old January 5, 2017

Music streaming platform has unbeatable library of music.

The review for this app is 13+, but I it should be less than that. It has the best selection of songs out there, and it's great for creating playlists. Kids should know what they can and can't listen to, but if your child is responsible and mature I highly recommend this essential app.
Kid, 9 years old December 22, 2016

Best music app

Spotify is pretty much the best music app available. However there is swearing in the songs. Luckily, there is parental controls that can take out explicit songs.
Teen, 14 years old Written byrachelkohlmeyer November 26, 2016

Can't figure it out

SO i go on my computer and get it all set up and ready to go then I can't even listen to any music and there are only ads to go premium. I just got very frustrated and am sticking to pandora I recommend you do the same.
Parent Written byreyessais June 7, 2016

Not Family Friendly

Spotify has a large collection of music and great features for discovery. However, as a parent, it lacks one very important feature. You cannot block explicit content. There is no option and Spotify feels it promotes censorship. Other services like Apple Music and Google Play Music offer this simple feature.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycallofduty6 December 28, 2015

Great place for music

Spotify can be good if u listen to the right things. I listen to Spotify and I only ever listen to Southern Gospel groups like the Ball Brothers, Brian Free & Assurance, Legacy Five etc. and occasionally Josh Groban and Michael Buble (even though they're not Christian.) But as long as your kids listen to the right things there's nothing wrong with it. U can also find some educational type music on there too.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymaria1236 April 7, 2013

listening to it right now!

i really love spotify, its a free download site, where you can listen to any song you want, and create playlists, so tht u can always just play "your songs" instead of the radio ones. to me its better than pandora, but the song limit thing is the downfall. i got introduced to so many artists, and bands tht i didnt even know where out there, you can even listen to genre of music, like i listen to indie genre. which is like underground. i just love music, like i say music is who i am. spotify is just really great!
Teen, 15 years old Written byrebma97 November 30, 2012

Free radio station, but some things are iffy

Spotify is a really nice radio station. I love how you can listen to millions of songs for free. Although free users have more limited options than paid users, I don't think it'll be hard for free users to have fun on Spotify--you can listen up to 10hr of songs a month, but it doesn't seem too bad of a deal to me. One of the major issues on Spotify (not their fault, though) is that since you can access just about any song, it's easy to find inappropriate ones (I think you can even listen to explicit ones). Of course you have to have a Facebook account, which means you should at least be 13, but they could still listen to songs parents may not like. So you may want to set some rules for you teen on what you do and don't want them to hear.