All member reviews for Stardoll

Dress-up doll fun with safe features for younger users.

Kid, 12 years old March 27, 2011

So I used to be addicted to Stardoll. And now I never do it anymore. And lemme tell you why. Peer pressure is HUGE on it. Everyone is pessured to look like the 'Covergirl' and join certain 'clubs.' When I was on about 7 months ago, the three big clubs were FashionClub, AnimalLovers, and OriginalClub, (FC, AL, OC) And they all competed for Covergirl, the most members, everything. And there was a cheat to say bad words. It was something like ;andshy - that may not be totally correct but to say a swear word you'd go roc;andshyket and it would come out 'rocket.' (I picked a random word.) So people would curse all the time! A lot of the stuff was inappropriate, people would post pictures, give out emails, and even have online boyfriends. Overall, it's like middle school or high school- peer pressure and bad people. There's also bullying and hacking. I would not recommend this site. The only perk is dressing up the dolls is fun. But take it from someone who loved Stardoll- don't do it.
Kid, 10 years old November 7, 2010

awesome

i luv this it is shake it up u know disney channel its awesome i luv it
Teen, 13 years old Written bygigla101 March 31, 2011

Stardoll Rocks!

I love Stardoll, as do 100 Million other people all over the world. In fact, my profile picture on Common Sense is my Stardoll! Stardoll gives girls (and guys) a chance to express themselves through fashion and designs. I think sometimes parents over-think websites like this. Stardoll is a positive place with many fun things to do.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJosieGrl April 1, 2011

Ehh i tried it once and was really bored with it. Very limited things to do. If you want a similar site with less design limits and no paying to play, try girlsense!
Adult Written byrys April 10, 2011

If sex, money and greed is something you want your kids to learn, this site is perfect for them.

Okay, good things first. Kids love dressup dolls, and this site has lots of them. It also has plenty of free flash games - that don't really have any educational value, mostly time wasters. This site is rife with swearing, attempted hackings, greed and consumerism. There are language filters but they are easily passed. Things like LEZ ONLY, se%, come find a bf/gf, partay biiiitchezzz are all over the chats. There are predators everywhere attempting to hack other users by way of offering free items and makeovers in exchange for email addresses and passwords. One word, "GREED". The currency in this site is "stardollars" - which users can get 5 per day by voting, or they are purchased. There is heavy competition to be the most materialistic, and a very big push to be part of the "elite" crowd. Clothing in this crowd ranges from 50sd - 500sd. Customer service is pathetic, all this corporation cares about is raking in cash. I can't really see that there is anything on this site a parent would want their children to learn.
Adult Written byHelen6789 February 15, 2011

Need to make sure your kids are not doing bad things.

This website is awesome for tweens. You need to look and make sure that your kids are not putting personal info (State CITY phone number) My only thing is that you can buy skippy things to wear and dress in. Just have fun and shop with you child and first tell them right away what they can and cant do.If they dont follow the rules tell them if you dont stop them next time you can be on for 5 days (or week). If they get on before 5 days ban the website. (Just advise)
Teen, 16 years old Written bygaaralover May 18, 2011

Okay, not the best website for little girls and boys

Stardoll is the kind of website thats fun to play if you put money into it, but most of my friends have free accounts and they still love it. The problem with Stardoll is that their are too many little girls who like having "slex" or "shmex" with boys. It makes Stardoll nasty and boring. Any ways like I was saying it is fun if you put a money in it. A $10 dollar card didn't work for me because I just kept running out of starcoins. Now I ended up buying 3 ($30), but I could have just bought a $25, saved some money and end up with the same amount of starcoins (the membership is a tiny bit shorter though). And guess what? I'm all out again! Oops forgot too mention something, stardollars are for superstars now only, non-superstars can only have starcoins which sucks a lot!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byPengu March 28, 2011

Tweens :)

I love stardoll and I have one myself. I love expressing myself but some hackers are a BIG problem. They are way too obsesed about becoming Cover Girl. I only chat with my friends,shop and design clothes.
Kid, 9 years old April 25, 2011

Depends

It's great for letting your kids be creative. Some of the people there aren't the nicest. Parents need to see and approve of friends and their suites for inappropriate material.
Kid, 12 years old May 22, 2011

good for tweens and kids, but a BAD idea for kids and tots!!!!

the thing with this website is this: their is clubs, and regular members can access them. some people say things like " i sorta eat my discharge" and things like that. great for tweens and teens, but a BAD idea if you have small kids!
Kid, 11 years old April 22, 2011

good for mature preteens

If you go to parties under friends and clubs, they are really inappropriate, like se%, or se%y biiiiitc*es, or something like that. I tell y little sister to steer clear of that section, and I do too.
Kid, 12 years old April 16, 2011

amazing website

i love it
Kid, 11 years old March 12, 2011

Good for 5th grade and up.

OKay now the filters are okay, but they let the A word through, i know this because other people post the A word, not me because I don't cuss. Also the dress-up dolls they wear bras if you take all the clothes off, and cleverage is shown, Also some of the shirts can have some scary pictures on them but not too bad. This is a fun network, but if your 13 and under then you won't get acess to: adding friends joining clubs posting comments in guestbooks Having a guestbook posting comments anywhere The only way you can do this and your under 13 if you put a fake age or if you print out a permission slip, your parents has to sign and fax/mail to the stardoll company. *If your child knows the house number and doesn't know about "weird people, and hackers* then i do not suggest this because You can have a blog and an albumn which you *CAN* put numbers.
Kid, 12 years old September 25, 2010

Fun, but expensive

I think it's a cool site that lets kid learn consumer stuff, but you have to pay in order to do the fun stuff. I think teenagers won't like it as much
Teen, 14 years old Written byMileyRayCyrusRo... April 14, 2011

It IS a good site. Monitor kids under 13!

Well the website is safe. I have a stardoll called StardollTester feel free to visit it. I found 1 inappropriate person while searching for a couple of mins. (WAY more than 1 if you look) her name is verydirtygirl if u dont like sexual talk/cybersex DONT visit people like that! There are also numerous inappropriate Clubs/Partys/Forums/Blogs/Stardolls/Presentations/Clothes!
Parent Written byewe2lambs March 30, 2011

not sure about this one at all

well we have two things with this game thing here - the imaginary stuff is great our dd loves creating new dolls and seeing how everything fits together, however the whole materialistic side of this is appalling, having to pay to be a superstardoll really just makes me mad - the role playing part is a bit iffy too, hmm just not sure about this one at all.
Kid, 10 years old December 18, 2011

Drama, Competition, and Dating :p

The point of Stardoll is designing jewelery and fashion, go shopping, decorate suite, message friends, dress up dolls, be in clubs and parties. I think it has a lot of fun things to do, but the privacy and sexual behavior are the issues. Privacy can be a issue if a kid is on Stardoll, and thinks they are dating a kid their age, when it is really a 26 year old. They can ask for their phone number, address, full name, photo, and more. Usually boys go on Stardoll, and they don't care about "fashion, fame and friends" they care about "sex, girls, dating" Some male users should be blocked. I also hate all the competition, everyone is cah-razy about being Covergirl. It drives me crazy! Users are bragging on my guestbook; Vote me Covergirl! Vote me Covergirl! Vote me Covergirl! Uggh.... Another thing I hate is the greed. Stardoll Staff keep bragging about how good it is to be a Superstar. Too many features are for SuperStars, too. Most Clothes are for Superstars. And last but not least, members make "chain-mail" and say copy and paste this to 7 clubs and you will be a SuperStar an have 2000 starcoins. They say A Stardoll staff such as Callie.Stardoll created that chain-mail and makes users want to copy and paste. Users also claim that they are a stardoll staff. I just hate all the drama and competition. I would give the site 2 out of 5 stars. Very disappointing.
Kid, 11 years old September 3, 2011

zIts fine

I am 11 and i love SD, but people lie about there ages and then they have "slex" or "shmex" and its rely gross, but just steer away from "boys" and partys! And it will be fine
Kid, 12 years old December 2, 2011

Stardoll - The good & the bad.

It`s hard to put a age on this website ; it depends on how smart the child is ; no not smart as in high school marks ; street smart. I think 12-13 up is a good idea. nothing below 1O. I`m on stardoll myself & love it but, I`m also smart about how I use it ; I give out NO personal information apart from my name ; yeah, i need to be called something. right. Stardoll does have some pretty messed up messages ; the dolls are like barbie dolls ; stick thin ; you can`t even make yourself fat ; the outfits are skimpy. It`s got a lot to do with wealth & money ; to enjoy the clothes & design of stardoll ; you NEED a membership. some people join it for the games ; fashion ; design. I can`t remember why I joined it but I use it for friends ; Yes, I have made friends on the site and we get along fine ; their wonderful people but i would never ever trust them enough to give them anything like passwords or adresses ; I`m smarter then that. I also use it for something called role playing ; it`s where you enroll as a character and go to a pretend school or have different themes of what you role play on ; I can tell you now ; it`s completely safe ; it just makes out that you need to be rich & beautiful to be popular ; which is wrong and gives the wrong idea. as for swearing & the sexual behaviour part ; people do swear, a lot ; but their is no sexual behaviour apart from what stardoll offers ; skimpy outfits and stick thin model like barbies. people will date online but those are the dumb ones. their is no drug related stuff that I have come across ; it may have it in certain clubs but that`s why I recommend the site to 12-13 years olds. i think a lot of that stuff comes from going to the parties that people can host - but you must be superstar to host - anybody may attend though - I don`t bother going to them. In conclusion ; stardoll isn`t really a safe place for children who are under 13 years of age and people lie about their age ; hell, i did it but i`m also street smart. stardoll should stop all these skimpy outfits & skinny models. they should have different body types including girls who are overweight ; people who have thighs and curves ; stardoll should be more safe about swearing or whatever but then they wont allow you to put 'explain' down because it includes 'ex' and they think it might mean something else, it`s like ? what? anyway, yeah - you know your child, you decide but don`t be too protective, give them guidelines ' say, your not allowed to visit these parts of stardoll' if their under 13, if their older, you can still do so but it ain`t nessecery. Yeah - so it depends on your child. I LOVE STARDOLL ; but ; IT does have wierd themes and isn`t great ; but ; i can`t be brainwashed because my mum was a great parent and told me how to be street smart and what is important in life ; so, in the end, you should have a talk with your child about this stuff ; it`s important to do that. just make sure, you don`t let anyone younger then 8 go on it ; otherwise ; that`s bad parenting. - Thanks, Ruby-Rose.
Kid, 12 years old January 26, 2011

meh....

skimpy clothes, membership. I thought it was slightly boring.