All member reviews for Stardoll

Dress-up doll fun with safe features for younger users.

Kid, 12 years old January 26, 2011

meh....

skimpy clothes, membership. I thought it was slightly boring.
Parent of a 5, 7, and 15 year old Written byVerylovingmom August 7, 2013

Why!?

My 7 year old daughter was looking up dress up sites one day and she came across stardoll , it had a photo of a doll avatar draped with makeup and jewelry what little girl wouldn't want to create there own little online person? My daughter signed up and got started right away she got free coins and headed right to the shop, there was many clothing that she wanted to buy but she couldn't because she wasn't a superstar , she begged me to get her a membership and I put my foot down she could buy cute stuff even if she wasn't one. Then after that she saw the chat sign she clicked and she couldn't access it because she was under 13 she got so sad so she made another account now this is where I started to pay more attention (because why would you have to be over 13?) I thought to myself she started chatting and after awhile it was a superstar only party my daughter joined she didn't know and since I guess you can tell people told her to get out (started cussing at her) and was just plan rude even worst when guys came on girls would crowd around them and people would brag how they had member ships I quickly deleted her account.
Kid, 12 years old March 27, 2011

So I used to be addicted to Stardoll. And now I never do it anymore. And lemme tell you why. Peer pressure is HUGE on it. Everyone is pessured to look like the 'Covergirl' and join certain 'clubs.' When I was on about 7 months ago, the three big clubs were FashionClub, AnimalLovers, and OriginalClub, (FC, AL, OC) And they all competed for Covergirl, the most members, everything. And there was a cheat to say bad words. It was something like ;andshy - that may not be totally correct but to say a swear word you'd go roc;andshyket and it would come out 'rocket.' (I picked a random word.) So people would curse all the time! A lot of the stuff was inappropriate, people would post pictures, give out emails, and even have online boyfriends. Overall, it's like middle school or high school- peer pressure and bad people. There's also bullying and hacking. I would not recommend this site. The only perk is dressing up the dolls is fun. But take it from someone who loved Stardoll- don't do it.
Kid, 11 years old September 3, 2011

zIts fine

I am 11 and i love SD, but people lie about there ages and then they have "slex" or "shmex" and its rely gross, but just steer away from "boys" and partys! And it will be fine
Teen, 17 years old Written bybeliebersarecool December 10, 2011

Stardoll is great!

Stardoll is an amazing, safe, fun fashion website with hundreds of features, me and all my friends are members, and I am superstar! You can kidlock an account which makes it safer for a user until they are 13 years of age, though as it is already safe i'd say it's fine without! Don't say anything bad about it, i can't!
Teen, 16 years old Written byTeenageCrime September 22, 2012

HORRBIALE

Ok First With The Sex Little Kids Are Getting Bras And Panites Everywere they can look at everybody and if they go to a party you cant control anything They Cuss Everyday And They Dont Block out The word hell THERE ARE SO MANY DRUGS! i was looking and people make cigars at the stardegisn and then they put this bubble in there mouth and make smoke out of it WTH?. This guy at a party asked if i wanted to have fun tonight then this other guy suite chated me and took my clothing off! i reported him and told him to leave me alone!
Adult Written byrys April 10, 2011

If sex, money and greed is something you want your kids to learn, this site is perfect for them.

Okay, good things first. Kids love dressup dolls, and this site has lots of them. It also has plenty of free flash games - that don't really have any educational value, mostly time wasters. This site is rife with swearing, attempted hackings, greed and consumerism. There are language filters but they are easily passed. Things like LEZ ONLY, se%, come find a bf/gf, partay biiiitchezzz are all over the chats. There are predators everywhere attempting to hack other users by way of offering free items and makeovers in exchange for email addresses and passwords. One word, "GREED". The currency in this site is "stardollars" - which users can get 5 per day by voting, or they are purchased. There is heavy competition to be the most materialistic, and a very big push to be part of the "elite" crowd. Clothing in this crowd ranges from 50sd - 500sd. Customer service is pathetic, all this corporation cares about is raking in cash. I can't really see that there is anything on this site a parent would want their children to learn.
Adult Written byabatonfan July 10, 2013

Safe game if you stay far from the rest of the community

I have been playing for roughly a year and feel that parents will need to moderate their children if they want to perform any of the social actions on Stardoll, such as joining clubs and chat rooms. The main point of the game is to buy, buy, and buy some more; real-life brands are often displayed and new users are bombarded with Stardoll promoting its premium memberships. User-created content can be an issue, such as users creating female cleavage (and sometimes full naked bodies), cigarettes, and other inappropriate items. The community is filled with younger children who desperately try to act like the older, sometimes inappropriate, users. Online dating and virtual sex is a large issue, and some chat rooms are created for the purpose of finding a boy or girlfriend. Users can bypass the filter and use obscene language as well as reveal personal information like full names and locations. Overall, Stardoll is a decent game if you engage in the non-social parts of the game, but once a user ventures into the chat rooms and clubs, issues like sexual behaviors, foul language, inappropriate user content, and privacy issues can become a concern.
Parent Written byLechuvie May 4, 2012

Is unsafe, they turn a blind eye on every problem a user has.

It is not really a good site for children nor teenagers, this site promises to keep the children safe, from bullies for example BIG LIE, they only act when a spam or scam is running on the site, but when a user is annoying other stardoll turns a blind eye, and says "Sorry we cannot interfer in internal fights" !!!, all that happens inside this site is their responsibility, and they should delete all the abusive people from the site, each and every "Hate Doll" should be erased and permanently banned from this site, if you want your kids around twisted minds that scare even an adult of my age let them have a doll on this site.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygigla101 March 31, 2011

Stardoll Rocks!

I love Stardoll, as do 100 Million other people all over the world. In fact, my profile picture on Common Sense is my Stardoll! Stardoll gives girls (and guys) a chance to express themselves through fashion and designs. I think sometimes parents over-think websites like this. Stardoll is a positive place with many fun things to do.
Kid, 10 years old November 7, 2010

awesome

i luv this it is shake it up u know disney channel its awesome i luv it
Parent Written byCVP January 4, 2013

Stardoll is a company out of Sweden & is stealing from Americans!!!

My kid's have been playing on Stardoll for just over a year. We have spent well over $200 per child for them to build their online worlds. We noticed we kept getting $3 charges for star dollars that we had not purchased. My mother-in-law had also purchased star dollars as a one time purchase for a gift for the grand-kids good report cards. She has been getting charges of about $3 a month for supposed star dollar purchases as well though my kids did not receive any additional star dollars on their accounts. We emailed stardoll to inquire about these charges and they deleted our kids accounts. They were very rude and refused to help us to resolve the problem. They kept all of the money we have put into these accounts and said that the kids would just have to start over. This is unacceptable business practice. This company has no integrity! Consumers... Be warned!!!
Teen, 16 years old Written bygaaralover May 18, 2011

Okay, not the best website for little girls and boys

Stardoll is the kind of website thats fun to play if you put money into it, but most of my friends have free accounts and they still love it. The problem with Stardoll is that their are too many little girls who like having "slex" or "shmex" with boys. It makes Stardoll nasty and boring. Any ways like I was saying it is fun if you put a money in it. A $10 dollar card didn't work for me because I just kept running out of starcoins. Now I ended up buying 3 ($30), but I could have just bought a $25, saved some money and end up with the same amount of starcoins (the membership is a tiny bit shorter though). And guess what? I'm all out again! Oops forgot too mention something, stardollars are for superstars now only, non-superstars can only have starcoins which sucks a lot!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byPengu March 28, 2011

Tweens :)

I love stardoll and I have one myself. I love expressing myself but some hackers are a BIG problem. They are way too obsesed about becoming Cover Girl. I only chat with my friends,shop and design clothes.
Parent Written bysoso15 December 18, 2013

Kidsafe zone is a joke

I'm really shocked at the amount of sexual references in the chat areas on Stardoll. It's dead easy to register an account. There isn't even a need to verify email addresses. Kidsafe zone is a joke. Stardoll states that kids under 13 will be placed in Kidsafe zone. That's not true. Kids under 13, when they register for a new account, are instantly given deactivated Kidsafe zone accounts, so they can partake in all the chat conversations on Stardoll. They can activate Kidsafe by going to their account settings and clicking a button. But the account can be just as easily deactivated by children by going back to account settings and clicking a button. Parents or responsible adults are not required to authorise these requests. So basically, Kidsafe zone is joke.
Parent of a 8, 10, and 14 year old Written byIamASafeOne April 4, 2013

STARDOLL

It's kind of bad kid of good. I will give my ups and downs. UPS: It teaches kids to design, I saw my 8 year old make Hello Kitty glasses on StarDesign! They could design albums however they want and add all sorts of celebs, icons, and texts. They could do sceneries with all their friends or celebrities, use speech bubbles to make them talk, and design the background and choose what clothes for their dolls. They could dress their doll however they want! They learn the basics and creativity of design and fashion! They can design hairstyle in all sorts of colors, It's mainly expressing yourself and having fun! There is little chatrooms for the girls to stay and chat or play quizzes and dress-up contests. There is Kid-safe mode for kids under 13, which helps me, so there is an email informing me and I could manage the account and put KidSafe if I wanted to. They can make clubs and put special sceneries, make forums with other players, and have a presentation they can design by themselves. They can design their suite however they want! They have a cute styling studio which they use to style other designers! They could dress up dolls, compete in polls, go shopping and learn how to do different make-up styles, make their stardoll their dream girl, send them to fashion school and do fun quests, sell things in their own shop in their closet, or made by them! DOWNS: My 10 and 8 year old constantly beg me for membership, You see here there is some limits to things and it's to make them get money, but one time my 10 year old tried to sneak buying a membership past me, are you guys desperate? No limits can go out of hand! My 8 year old was browsing her friends, and on a friend's presentation, there was a photo, and the girl was SMOKING. SMOKNG?! Not appropriate! Another one of them had a "middle finger" a shirt that said "dope" he had a can that said "graffiti" and he had a hat that said "BoyBiitchez" I do not want my 8 year old to be a gang! She almost rushed to design the leaf. Not all discussions in forums are safe! People can sneak bad words through by separating them or using "." sometimes they come out uncensored! There are even nasty "life" stories. I thought your life was personal! There is some rating games on forums where they "rate" dolls. One girl rated my 10 year old's stardoll 1/10, and my 10 year old felt bad, she called the girl 0/10 then ugly, then the girl used bad words and started rating her lower and lower. Not nice! The moderation of stardoll is not that good... I found an anarachist club that sneaked in. Luckily that club was banned, but that was highly inappropriate. There's also a lot of teenagers that wear crops tops, super short shorts, and they sometimes say bad words, look like gangs, or use text talk. I don't want my 8 year old learning from them! There's also some name calling and disagreements in forums.
Teen, 13 years old Written byShadoSiren June 27, 2012

Not even dress up games.

Kids 8 and older will be fine. But what disappoints me is that what was once the most fun site for dress up games are not even dress up games anymore. It's all one big popularity contest, pressuring you to buy a star doll membership. It is now just a user site, not a dress up site. Many teens lurk on this site. In all, this site was fun, but now it's hardly a dress up site...Go to dress up games or dress up who for some actual dress up games. Oh! and many teens talk kinda funny on there, If you know what I mean.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJosieGrl April 1, 2011

Ehh i tried it once and was really bored with it. Very limited things to do. If you want a similar site with less design limits and no paying to play, try girlsense!
Parent Written byWAParent April 8, 2013

Not Secure Place for Children

My daughter's account was hacked and accessed by another user, who then promptly sold herself my daughter's doll "belongings" for a nominal price. When notified, Stardoll said they would not help with this situation. This is highly unfortunate, as my 10 year old daughter really enjoyed the site. She also spent her allowance on this site for several months, and the products that she purchased were stolen by another user. Account security for stardoll cannot be trusted, nor their response to our situation. The ability to hack into another user's account also could negatively impact your child's online identity and could present safety issues.
Parent Written bystardoll2510 December 6, 2012

LEARNING

positive side of stardoll

its a great website, and my kids go on it. some 13-16yr olds have sex on it. if you dont want your kids to be doing that, make them kid safe and ban them from chatrooms . dont add anyone, but just have fun exploring fashion and trends. Give them a limited time to go on it. I gave my kids 20 minutes for it, then homework and craft.