All member reviews for Stardoll

Dress-up doll fun with safe features for younger users.

Kid, 12 years old January 26, 2011

meh....

skimpy clothes, membership. I thought it was slightly boring.
Parent of a 5, 7, and 15 year old Written byVerylovingmom August 7, 2013

Why!?

My 7 year old daughter was looking up dress up sites one day and she came across stardoll , it had a photo of a doll avatar draped with makeup and jewelry what little girl wouldn't want to create there own little online person? My daughter signed up and got started right away she got free coins and headed right to the shop, there was many clothing that she wanted to buy but she couldn't because she wasn't a superstar , she begged me to get her a membership and I put my foot down she could buy cute stuff even if she wasn't one. Then after that she saw the chat sign she clicked and she couldn't access it because she was under 13 she got so sad so she made another account now this is where I started to pay more attention (because why would you have to be over 13?) I thought to myself she started chatting and after awhile it was a superstar only party my daughter joined she didn't know and since I guess you can tell people told her to get out (started cussing at her) and was just plan rude even worst when guys came on girls would crowd around them and people would brag how they had member ships I quickly deleted her account.
Kid, 12 years old March 27, 2011

So I used to be addicted to Stardoll. And now I never do it anymore. And lemme tell you why. Peer pressure is HUGE on it. Everyone is pessured to look like the 'Covergirl' and join certain 'clubs.' When I was on about 7 months ago, the three big clubs were FashionClub, AnimalLovers, and OriginalClub, (FC, AL, OC) And they all competed for Covergirl, the most members, everything. And there was a cheat to say bad words. It was something like ;andshy - that may not be totally correct but to say a swear word you'd go roc;andshyket and it would come out 'rocket.' (I picked a random word.) So people would curse all the time! A lot of the stuff was inappropriate, people would post pictures, give out emails, and even have online boyfriends. Overall, it's like middle school or high school- peer pressure and bad people. There's also bullying and hacking. I would not recommend this site. The only perk is dressing up the dolls is fun. But take it from someone who loved Stardoll- don't do it.
Kid, 11 years old September 3, 2011

zIts fine

I am 11 and i love SD, but people lie about there ages and then they have "slex" or "shmex" and its rely gross, but just steer away from "boys" and partys! And it will be fine
Adult Written byrys April 10, 2011

If sex, money and greed is something you want your kids to learn, this site is perfect for them.

Okay, good things first. Kids love dressup dolls, and this site has lots of them. It also has plenty of free flash games - that don't really have any educational value, mostly time wasters. This site is rife with swearing, attempted hackings, greed and consumerism. There are language filters but they are easily passed. Things like LEZ ONLY, se%, come find a bf/gf, partay biiiitchezzz are all over the chats. There are predators everywhere attempting to hack other users by way of offering free items and makeovers in exchange for email addresses and passwords. One word, "GREED". The currency in this site is "stardollars" - which users can get 5 per day by voting, or they are purchased. There is heavy competition to be the most materialistic, and a very big push to be part of the "elite" crowd. Clothing in this crowd ranges from 50sd - 500sd. Customer service is pathetic, all this corporation cares about is raking in cash. I can't really see that there is anything on this site a parent would want their children to learn.
Parent Written byMellie Manner June 25, 2012
LEARNING

Parents, gosh! Please just let your kid play!

Sheesh. I play on Stardoll 24/7. No sex, language or any rude crud. Some things are rude but you have a choice to see it. It's not like an online chatting game. Its dressing up. If you wanna see language go to the party rooms IF you want. You have a choice. Gosh.
Teen, 17 years old Written bybeliebersarecool December 10, 2011

Stardoll is great!

Stardoll is an amazing, safe, fun fashion website with hundreds of features, me and all my friends are members, and I am superstar! You can kidlock an account which makes it safer for a user until they are 13 years of age, though as it is already safe i'd say it's fine without! Don't say anything bad about it, i can't!
Adult Written byabatonfan July 10, 2013

Safe game if you stay far from the rest of the community

I have been playing for roughly a year and feel that parents will need to moderate their children if they want to perform any of the social actions on Stardoll, such as joining clubs and chat rooms. The main point of the game is to buy, buy, and buy some more; real-life brands are often displayed and new users are bombarded with Stardoll promoting its premium memberships. User-created content can be an issue, such as users creating female cleavage (and sometimes full naked bodies), cigarettes, and other inappropriate items. The community is filled with younger children who desperately try to act like the older, sometimes inappropriate, users. Online dating and virtual sex is a large issue, and some chat rooms are created for the purpose of finding a boy or girlfriend. Users can bypass the filter and use obscene language as well as reveal personal information like full names and locations. Overall, Stardoll is a decent game if you engage in the non-social parts of the game, but once a user ventures into the chat rooms and clubs, issues like sexual behaviors, foul language, inappropriate user content, and privacy issues can become a concern.
Teen, 16 years old Written byTeenageCrime September 22, 2012

HORRBIALE

Ok First With The Sex Little Kids Are Getting Bras And Panites Everywere they can look at everybody and if they go to a party you cant control anything They Cuss Everyday And They Dont Block out The word hell THERE ARE SO MANY DRUGS! i was looking and people make cigars at the stardegisn and then they put this bubble in there mouth and make smoke out of it WTH?. This guy at a party asked if i wanted to have fun tonight then this other guy suite chated me and took my clothing off! i reported him and told him to leave me alone!
Teen, 13 years old Written bygigla101 March 31, 2011

Stardoll Rocks!

I love Stardoll, as do 100 Million other people all over the world. In fact, my profile picture on Common Sense is my Stardoll! Stardoll gives girls (and guys) a chance to express themselves through fashion and designs. I think sometimes parents over-think websites like this. Stardoll is a positive place with many fun things to do.
Educator Written byKarinP April 8, 2014

A money machine for the owners

I have tested Stardoll myself, and I think that it's mainly a money making machine. As a member of Stardoll one gets new e-mails from Stardoll promoting 'new' fashion sales every day and it isn't easy to resist. It takes about 25 USD per 1-2 months to keep up with new developments which are mainly centered around spending starcoins and stardollars, and starcoins frequently have to be transformed in stardollars (more expensive) when buying new items. Of course the fashion one may buy for starcoins is of much lesser quality and beauty, and to get a good outfit one easily has to spend 25 to 50 stardollars. In one case I even didn't receive some fashion I bought from another member on the so-called 'bazaar', I complained to get what I bought, but never received an answer nor the item I had bought. On another occasion I received an answer telling me that my language is not supported. There are more features that help to spend money, like for example the yearbook, where one has to complete tasks that require spending more stardollars really fast. The baseline is that stardoll promotes superficial values like beauty, money, clothes, expensive property and having to be a real doll as well as having to compete and to win all the time. It also gives a frustrating message of not being noticed in the masses of 3 million members independent of whatever one has done. Plus it isn't enough to buy stardollars, one has to spend more monthly (between 6-9 USD per month) to be a superstar and to participate in certain features like making money as a stylist (one doesn't make a lot of money, since most of money from the sales of stylists goes to Stardoll of course). There is also a surprise renewing payment that isn't announced by e-mail to the owner if choosing the wrong option. The advantage of stardoll is that it has some limited creativity features and it helps to learn how to promote oneself on the internet, basically that one has to be ever-present sending around broadcasts for 5 stardollars each, or one will simply not be noticed. There are many contests at stardoll, and the winners are not even necessarily the best, but just an expression of average taste. Another drawback are potential verbal attacks by other 'competing' members.
Parent Written byLechuvie May 4, 2012

Is unsafe, they turn a blind eye on every problem a user has.

It is not really a good site for children nor teenagers, this site promises to keep the children safe, from bullies for example BIG LIE, they only act when a spam or scam is running on the site, but when a user is annoying other stardoll turns a blind eye, and says "Sorry we cannot interfer in internal fights" !!!, all that happens inside this site is their responsibility, and they should delete all the abusive people from the site, each and every "Hate Doll" should be erased and permanently banned from this site, if you want your kids around twisted minds that scare even an adult of my age let them have a doll on this site.
Teen, 16 years old Written bygaaralover May 18, 2011

Okay, not the best website for little girls and boys

Stardoll is the kind of website thats fun to play if you put money into it, but most of my friends have free accounts and they still love it. The problem with Stardoll is that their are too many little girls who like having "slex" or "shmex" with boys. It makes Stardoll nasty and boring. Any ways like I was saying it is fun if you put a money in it. A $10 dollar card didn't work for me because I just kept running out of starcoins. Now I ended up buying 3 ($30), but I could have just bought a $25, saved some money and end up with the same amount of starcoins (the membership is a tiny bit shorter though). And guess what? I'm all out again! Oops forgot too mention something, stardollars are for superstars now only, non-superstars can only have starcoins which sucks a lot!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byPengu March 28, 2011

Tweens :)

I love stardoll and I have one myself. I love expressing myself but some hackers are a BIG problem. They are way too obsesed about becoming Cover Girl. I only chat with my friends,shop and design clothes.
Parent of a 8, 10, and 14 year old Written byIamASafeOne April 4, 2013

STARDOLL

It's kind of bad kid of good. I will give my ups and downs. UPS: It teaches kids to design, I saw my 8 year old make Hello Kitty glasses on StarDesign! They could design albums however they want and add all sorts of celebs, icons, and texts. They could do sceneries with all their friends or celebrities, use speech bubbles to make them talk, and design the background and choose what clothes for their dolls. They could dress their doll however they want! They learn the basics and creativity of design and fashion! They can design hairstyle in all sorts of colors, It's mainly expressing yourself and having fun! There is little chatrooms for the girls to stay and chat or play quizzes and dress-up contests. There is Kid-safe mode for kids under 13, which helps me, so there is an email informing me and I could manage the account and put KidSafe if I wanted to. They can make clubs and put special sceneries, make forums with other players, and have a presentation they can design by themselves. They can design their suite however they want! They have a cute styling studio which they use to style other designers! They could dress up dolls, compete in polls, go shopping and learn how to do different make-up styles, make their stardoll their dream girl, send them to fashion school and do fun quests, sell things in their own shop in their closet, or made by them! DOWNS: My 10 and 8 year old constantly beg me for membership, You see here there is some limits to things and it's to make them get money, but one time my 10 year old tried to sneak buying a membership past me, are you guys desperate? No limits can go out of hand! My 8 year old was browsing her friends, and on a friend's presentation, there was a photo, and the girl was SMOKING. SMOKNG?! Not appropriate! Another one of them had a "middle finger" a shirt that said "dope" he had a can that said "graffiti" and he had a hat that said "BoyBiitchez" I do not want my 8 year old to be a gang! She almost rushed to design the leaf. Not all discussions in forums are safe! People can sneak bad words through by separating them or using "." sometimes they come out uncensored! There are even nasty "life" stories. I thought your life was personal! There is some rating games on forums where they "rate" dolls. One girl rated my 10 year old's stardoll 1/10, and my 10 year old felt bad, she called the girl 0/10 then ugly, then the girl used bad words and started rating her lower and lower. Not nice! The moderation of stardoll is not that good... I found an anarachist club that sneaked in. Luckily that club was banned, but that was highly inappropriate. There's also a lot of teenagers that wear crops tops, super short shorts, and they sometimes say bad words, look like gangs, or use text talk. I don't want my 8 year old learning from them! There's also some name calling and disagreements in forums.
Parent Written byCVP January 4, 2013

Stardoll is a company out of Sweden & is stealing from Americans!!!

My kid's have been playing on Stardoll for just over a year. We have spent well over $200 per child for them to build their online worlds. We noticed we kept getting $3 charges for star dollars that we had not purchased. My mother-in-law had also purchased star dollars as a one time purchase for a gift for the grand-kids good report cards. She has been getting charges of about $3 a month for supposed star dollar purchases as well though my kids did not receive any additional star dollars on their accounts. We emailed stardoll to inquire about these charges and they deleted our kids accounts. They were very rude and refused to help us to resolve the problem. They kept all of the money we have put into these accounts and said that the kids would just have to start over. This is unacceptable business practice. This company has no integrity! Consumers... Be warned!!!
Parent of a 10 year old Written byCSM Screen Name... September 25, 2010

Perfect for preteens until a young women!!!

My daughter loves it. But there can be mild swearing or saying offensive things about other people. And there is this club called V nightclub and its TOTALY inaproprite. But i check my daughters site monthly. I love stardoll as much as a 10 yr. old girl would. BE CAREFUL! its addicting!
Parent Written bySafetyMom123 June 25, 2014

Safety Quiz

On stardoll, there is a safety quiz in the 'Dress Up & Games' section. I had my daughter take the quiz and she got an 100% so I let her play. I gave her a small quiz about online safety every time I wanted her to join a game. Nothing has happened since.
Kid, 11 years old November 27, 2013

Stardoll, yes, some features, no

When I first started Stardoll back in 2011, I didn't use it that much, and I never joined any clubs or joined a chat room. It was nice back then, and everyone was friends. Now, its a like there's always some snotty bratty group of cliquey girls who think they can say an do anything they want. Its a competition for who's the richest, the hottest, and who has the best social/gossip life, including boyfriends. I have, numerous times, been bullied in a chat room for nothing! They will do anything to make themselves look better, and bring you down with how you look, dress, and say things like, "OMG, look at her. She's so fat and ugly. I'm so glad I'm not her, I mean, what a pathetic little brat." They have also invented a 'slang' for cussing, such as baytch, fawk, s@xy, thottie, etc. Fortunately, I used a method that involves acting dumb, but replying with witty, smart remarks such as "Wow cool! Right back atcha'!" in response to bullying and mean comments. I also hate it that many girls care so much about their virtual fantasy life that thy back and steal and lie. Make sure you have a bullying strategy that works. Also, sooooooo many girls put on gobs of makeup, wigs, and fake b()()bs. It bugs the heck out of me! And watch out for boyfriends. They suck. So, you might experience e some drama from the screwed up 'elites'. If you do......let them have it with your clever comebacks.
Kid, 12 years old December 2, 2011

Stardoll - The good & the bad.

It`s hard to put a age on this website ; it depends on how smart the child is ; no not smart as in high school marks ; street smart. I think 12-13 up is a good idea. nothing below 1O. I`m on stardoll myself & love it but, I`m also smart about how I use it ; I give out NO personal information apart from my name ; yeah, i need to be called something. right. Stardoll does have some pretty messed up messages ; the dolls are like barbie dolls ; stick thin ; you can`t even make yourself fat ; the outfits are skimpy. It`s got a lot to do with wealth & money ; to enjoy the clothes & design of stardoll ; you NEED a membership. some people join it for the games ; fashion ; design. I can`t remember why I joined it but I use it for friends ; Yes, I have made friends on the site and we get along fine ; their wonderful people but i would never ever trust them enough to give them anything like passwords or adresses ; I`m smarter then that. I also use it for something called role playing ; it`s where you enroll as a character and go to a pretend school or have different themes of what you role play on ; I can tell you now ; it`s completely safe ; it just makes out that you need to be rich & beautiful to be popular ; which is wrong and gives the wrong idea. as for swearing & the sexual behaviour part ; people do swear, a lot ; but their is no sexual behaviour apart from what stardoll offers ; skimpy outfits and stick thin model like barbies. people will date online but those are the dumb ones. their is no drug related stuff that I have come across ; it may have it in certain clubs but that`s why I recommend the site to 12-13 years olds. i think a lot of that stuff comes from going to the parties that people can host - but you must be superstar to host - anybody may attend though - I don`t bother going to them. In conclusion ; stardoll isn`t really a safe place for children who are under 13 years of age and people lie about their age ; hell, i did it but i`m also street smart. stardoll should stop all these skimpy outfits & skinny models. they should have different body types including girls who are overweight ; people who have thighs and curves ; stardoll should be more safe about swearing or whatever but then they wont allow you to put 'explain' down because it includes 'ex' and they think it might mean something else, it`s like ? what? anyway, yeah - you know your child, you decide but don`t be too protective, give them guidelines ' say, your not allowed to visit these parts of stardoll' if their under 13, if their older, you can still do so but it ain`t nessecery. Yeah - so it depends on your child. I LOVE STARDOLL ; but ; IT does have wierd themes and isn`t great ; but ; i can`t be brainwashed because my mum was a great parent and told me how to be street smart and what is important in life ; so, in the end, you should have a talk with your child about this stuff ; it`s important to do that. just make sure, you don`t let anyone younger then 8 go on it ; otherwise ; that`s bad parenting. - Thanks, Ruby-Rose.