All member reviews for Stardoll

Dress-up doll fun with safe features for younger users.

Teen, 13 years old Written byJosieGrl April 1, 2011

Ehh i tried it once and was really bored with it. Very limited things to do. If you want a similar site with less design limits and no paying to play, try girlsense!
Parent Written bySafetyMom123 June 25, 2014

Safety Quiz

On stardoll, there is a safety quiz in the 'Dress Up & Games' section. I had my daughter take the quiz and she got an 100% so I let her play. I gave her a small quiz about online safety every time I wanted her to join a game. Nothing has happened since.
Kid, 11 years old April 16, 2014

Pretty much completely safe really.

I use this site frequently, and yes, there can be some not-so-appropriate users, but if you enter your correct birthdate then under-13s can't see ANYTHING iffy at all. Yes, some items of clothing are 'skimpy', but there's no full on nudity at all. It is centred on fashion and design, and gives a message that there is nothing more to life, but in small doses can be a very good site for girls to play on. My seven year old sister manages to stay out of trouble on Stardoll even without KidSafe, and she loves the site. I reccommend to any girls who love fashion (however after a while it can get boring, but this is no problem because it's better to have less screen time!!!)
Teen, 15 years old Written byILoveParisJaskon June 19, 2013

I totally dislike Stardoll

Stardoll used to be a cool place for me to hang out but not anymore...People dressing inappropriate,talking about sex,cyber bullying,having cigarettes and smoke coming out of there mouth. Suit chat is where your kids can chat alone with another Stardoll well some Stardolls do more then chatting. But I see kids going up to random guys asking them out and shuffleboard doesn't teach kids anything except designing.
Parent Written byWAParent April 8, 2013

Not Secure Place for Children

My daughter's account was hacked and accessed by another user, who then promptly sold herself my daughter's doll "belongings" for a nominal price. When notified, Stardoll said they would not help with this situation. This is highly unfortunate, as my 10 year old daughter really enjoyed the site. She also spent her allowance on this site for several months, and the products that she purchased were stolen by another user. Account security for stardoll cannot be trusted, nor their response to our situation. The ability to hack into another user's account also could negatively impact your child's online identity and could present safety issues.
Parent Written bystardoll2510 December 6, 2012
LEARNING

positive side of stardoll

its a great website, and my kids go on it. some 13-16yr olds have sex on it. if you dont want your kids to be doing that, make them kid safe and ban them from chatrooms . dont add anyone, but just have fun exploring fashion and trends. Give them a limited time to go on it. I gave my kids 20 minutes for it, then homework and craft.
Adult Written bymarclare December 31, 2011

Ehhhhh...

I might sound like an over protective parent for doing so, but when my daughter was obsessed with stardoll, I made an account to check it out, and I wasn't happy. First of all, it has so much consumerism, it's not even funny. People sell their old stuff, there are ads everywhere, and the members with the most money are the most popular. Then, there are the online bf's. I personally think that it's sick to have virtual sex. I don't know about you, but dating someone that may or may not really be a 17 year old boy online using swear words in code isn't my kind of "fun". That brings me to the code swear words. Members use slexy or s3xy or even se%y. BUT... Then there's the positive side. There's the dressup dolls, the games, and the decorating. It's cute, and let me say funm,but some content is definatley mature.
Parent Written byewe2lambs March 30, 2011

not sure about this one at all

well we have two things with this game thing here - the imaginary stuff is great our dd loves creating new dolls and seeing how everything fits together, however the whole materialistic side of this is appalling, having to pay to be a superstardoll really just makes me mad - the role playing part is a bit iffy too, hmm just not sure about this one at all.
Kid, 10 years old October 24, 2010

Stardoll is alright

Honestly even I play stardoll. The clothes can be skimpy and revealing, but it can be fun. Memberships, memberships, memberships. It's a wow problem. I mean be a "Superstar" to do this. "Oh sorry you are not a superstar and can't buy that" It's so annoying! I mean seriously. Can there not be a free fun online website out there? But Stardoll is fun and addicting, you can't sell your fashions with out being a "Superstar" (membership). Money is a situation in my family and I love online gaming sites where you create an avatar and a house and go to several different places but, paying for it all is not fun. I want to see if there is at least 5 websites out there where it is fun for ages 8+ and you do NOT have to pay for anything. But otherwise Stardoll is very very fun. (Sorry I got a little off topic) Anyways you should play but only if you are willing to pay monthly.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLunaWolf September 9, 2014

Perfect game for teen girls.

Stardoll can be one of the best games ever, but you also need to watch out. Some clubs are really fun, most are, the-nerds for instants is fun and pretty safe. (If anyone posts an innaprpriet/bullying topic/post then we all report them and they are soon banned/deleted.) Another good one is roleplaymasters, which is a writing club for group stories. Try moddelling clubs aswell, they can be really, really fun. Watch out for the chat rooms/parties these are the places I have found most likely to have people being innapropriet, especially later on. Stardoll is perfect for expressing yourself and your inner style, you can make your suite, medoll, outfit, album, scenery and club entirely your own, but as on any game, you need to be careful. If you are really worried you can put a kidsafe lock on your kids account, but I don't recomend it, it's not very fun and you can do other things such as lock of your gb to anyone but friends without a kidsafe lock. But aslong as you don't tell anyone your full name, telephone, email etc. you should be fine and have an amazing time!
Teen, 15 years old Written byVLex June 23, 2014

Fell out of love

I am 15 and i used to play this game very often when 12-13 and liked it i have encountered some security issues and have came into some "close encounters" with iffy users.SECURITY:I like the freedom of the chat but i have been harassed/threatened and got no reply's from Stardoll even once reporting them. I have been hacked though only once stupidly giving my pass word. Paid/Unpaid Membership: The game is 10 times funner as a paid member and without a paid membership its pretty boring;no affordable clothing or fun activity's available other than chat/parties) The membership opens up many doors and is reasonable through yearly payment.Lastly i recommend paid membership or not at all, Don't give out your password,Don't bother reporting just block them and move on,Keep on guard for keepers. Overall pretty fun for 12-14 year olds
Kid, 12 years old June 4, 2014

Seems appropriate, but here's the truth

Stardoll seems like an appropriate site for kids, but it's really not, in some ways. The chat groups can get inappropriate quickly, and people have figured out ways to get past the website's swear protection system. Also, people have parties that get inappropriate, and people even have online boyfriends! If you're under 13 when you sign up, Stardoll will automatically put you in their Kidsafe membership, which blocks interacting with other users. However, it goes away when you're 13, and you can still see other users and their rooms. If you want to get rid of a Kidsafe before you're 13, you have to fill out a form and mail it to Stardoll, and who knows how long that might take? The Superstar memberships cost money and basically everything is Superstars only, and that can get annoying quickly.
Teen, 13 years old Written byresponsibleteen2 February 18, 2014

back the truck up for kid younger than 13

stardoll is a really good site ive been on it since i was 10 though that what i thought since i was 10 i was automatically given a kid safe membership so i couldnt see the chat and club button or post any comment instantly loved it when they gave me a day of membership and like 20 stardollar but then i became over obessed with trying to get membership so one day i rummaged through my mom purse for her credit card cause i wanted membership but at the end i got caught when i was inputing her number on stardoll when she walked in on me i got grounded i kept begging untill when i turned 12 she bought me a membership card for 6 months but than i got bored during the first 2 months of membership cause i wanted to go to chat and clubs so one day when i pressed the deactivate button it just straight sent me to a page where you fill it out and send it to stardoll which got me mad cause my membership was gonna last for 6 months and next year would be my birthday but by then it would already be finished so i waited then i entered my first chat ever but bad thing happened like when i went to my first chat people cursed me out cause i was ugly so i bought cool clothes with some stardollars i still had from my membership worst mistake when i entered two creepy dudes sent me friend request i accepted cause i didnt think anything bad would happen so then the first guy sent me a suitechat request he did weird things so i deleted him as a friend and he continue to follow me but he stopped that why i think you should stand clear for kid under 13 cause some kids can lie about their age which is easy cause their no email comfirmation which makes it easy for minors to pose as a 14 or 15 year old which makes it easy for adults who pose as teen to take advantage of them by saying they want to be friend with you we just need your adress and phone number the next prob is to much consumerism there to many ads on stardoll telling kid how great it is to be a member that why kids are doing the same thing i did when i was little and that the reason their so many hacker and scammer on right now the third problem is the report button doesnt work at all i remember when i had a rare a royalty made fun of me for like 2 week cause i wouldnt give her a rare i had i reported her and stardoll sent me something say we cannot interfere seriousley you said if their any bullying at all they will do something about it lie i hate the fact that their royaltie and superstar are getting way with making fun of non-superstars and doing inapropiate things like they can make cigarettes and say their getting high but when superstar report non member their like instantly banned from the site i agress with people about how they only care about money they put way to much ads about superstar and stardollar my friend bought a membership she was banned for no reason you wanna know why her mom sent a email to them about how stardoll is withdrawling money from her account about supposed stardollar purchases after that message she was banned be careful about minor their tons of serious problem you should stand clear of
Parent Written byStardoll Watchdog February 17, 2014

Awful Customer Service

This site is terrible for customer service. It's not safe for children. They have all these One Stop rules but don't enforce them. Members who pay a lot of money can get away with all kinds of bad behavior and aren't deleted. If they are, they are allowed back on after a few days. If they do get deleted, they just return with a new account. The site is awful for young children. They apparently can't or won't block IP addresses of the worst offenders. Bullying, theft, inappropriate artwork aren't caught quickly enough because they have poor follow up and customer service isn't even staffed on the weekends from what I can tell. DO NOT allow children on this site. This is not a safe site. There are no consequences for bad behavior and the result is, users learn there really aren't consequences for their bad behavior.
Teen, 13 years old Written bypinkshupti January 20, 2014

it's okay but...

Stardoll seems okay but it's inappropriate sometimes. some users try to hack u like saying they'll make u a free member. u just have to give ur password and thats all.Oneday, i was chatting and this girl started to talk about inappropriate stuff and my personal info so i had to block her.plus on the chatting rooms, most ppl are like swearing and talking about inappropriate stuff.on the other hand, they keep ur personal info safe and they don't let u chat or communicate if u are under 13.
Teen, 14 years old Written byiEmzy101 December 11, 2013

Great website- however parents should supervise.

Stardoll is an online game where boys and girls (who are usually 10-17) can dress up their own 'medoll' and play games. I know that Stardoll gets a lot of negative feedback from parents who find that their children are witnessing inappropriate things, however I find that half of the time the parents are to blame. A lot of the problems revolve around clubs. Stardoll has hundreds of thousands of clubs where users can post messages to each other, and these clubs are usually fun and inspiring however there are often inappropriate conversations on the bigger clubs between people. Stardoll has a strict anti-swearing policy however it is extremely easy to get around it as 'sex' (which is forbidden) can be turned into 's3x' and be posted in conversations. Stardoll gives parents the option to let children under 13 have a 'kid-safe' account- which means that they can't post on other peoples pages or go in clubs which is a great idea. They get the best parts of Stardoll and none of the worst, yet for some reason hardly any parents choose to do this. Yes, there's lots of consumerism but this doesn't have to be a negative thing! It teaches kids not to waste money and learn to think on their own. In all honesty I think Stardoll is a brilliant online website for MATURE kids and teens, which helps develop a sense of individuality and friendship, as long as parents supervise their young or immature children.
Teen, 13 years old Written bylottie29 November 30, 2013

It's actually not that bad.

I joined Stardoll about a year ago and thoroughly enjoy my time on it . If your child wants to join, let them. You need to sit down with them and explain to them what can happen. There is language filters on Stardoll but they can be worked around. On stardoll I've never heard anyone ask someone if they want 'se%'. You need to have trust in your children that they are responsible enough to do the right thing. I've made many friends on there and I'm really close to a couple. They don't know my personal details and I don't know theirs but that doesn't matter because we trust each other. When I'm having issues at home or school they're always there for me. Give Stardoll a go, it's a great social website.
Kid, 11 years old November 27, 2013

Stardoll, yes, some features, no

When I first started Stardoll back in 2011, I didn't use it that much, and I never joined any clubs or joined a chat room. It was nice back then, and everyone was friends. Now, its a like there's always some snotty bratty group of cliquey girls who think they can say an do anything they want. Its a competition for who's the richest, the hottest, and who has the best social/gossip life, including boyfriends. I have, numerous times, been bullied in a chat room for nothing! They will do anything to make themselves look better, and bring you down with how you look, dress, and say things like, "OMG, look at her. She's so fat and ugly. I'm so glad I'm not her, I mean, what a pathetic little brat." They have also invented a 'slang' for cussing, such as baytch, fawk, s@xy, thottie, etc. Fortunately, I used a method that involves acting dumb, but replying with witty, smart remarks such as "Wow cool! Right back atcha'!" in response to bullying and mean comments. I also hate it that many girls care so much about their virtual fantasy life that thy back and steal and lie. Make sure you have a bullying strategy that works. Also, sooooooo many girls put on gobs of makeup, wigs, and fake b()()bs. It bugs the heck out of me! And watch out for boyfriends. They suck. So, you might experience e some drama from the screwed up 'elites'. If you do......let them have it with your clever comebacks.
Teen, 14 years old Written byzoeallheart May 17, 2013

No stardoll

The process of picking/making your doll is rather fun and entertaining. But then you log in and find the bad things. I use to be on this game all the time. I once actually won catwalk but everything on this game is inappropriate with the loose clothing everything based on memebership and remeber i had 3 months of membership and also alot of other months wasting my time on a game that has bad language, people with cigars in there mouth, swearing, having boy friend and girl friends, being rude and absuing each other, teaching little kids how to be stupid and not have a brain,loose clothing that shows too much, peer preasure and clubs that are INNAPROPRIATE! who knows how i survived on that website for 8 MONTHS! possibly more but i was not counting. The staff are rude and they are not considerate with your problems. Lots of people trying to hack your accounts and i once got hacked on there. I had like 890 stardollars all gone to 0 that is how stupid these people are. I suggest get of the website and go play something else that does not have innapropriate behaviour. Another thing is boys always ask girls out and then invite you to a room chat and strip you and then you proberly knows what happens next. I dont know how this website even has players. The good side is it has dress up and stardoll academy that is the only thing i have to say that is good. Remeber this website is a big fat NO!
Kid, 8 years old February 16, 2013

HORRIBLE !!

Fact is , They show your avatar in a bra and underwear and allow to take pics like that and show everybody VERRY BAD DO NOT SIGN UP !!