All member reviews for Webkinz

Virtual world for real toys with many ads pushing more toys.

Kid, 11 years old November 12, 2014

Webkinz is the GREATEST

As said in the title webkinz is the greatest! It doesn't actually HAVE a learning aspect (mabey earning kinzcash and quizzy's corner). Instead, it is a game, a good relaxing one at that. I have my own account there and it's great.
Parent of a 11 year old Written by247Mom April 2, 2011

Webkinz is the Place to Be!

I would definitely recommend this to anyone! It's a great website for all ages- anyone can enjoy it! It's a world full of fun, and there are some educational purposes. My child loves it and for his computer time each day he plays only on Webkinz. However, it can become addicting, which isn't exactly a good thing for the kids minds. Also, every once in a while I'd buy him a Webkinz, each are about 14.00 on average. They add up! Although it's a great website, it does come with the price with money signs.
Kid, 10 years old November 26, 2010

Just okay

It is boring and now it cost money to be like enabled to have special feactures. Like it wasn't bad before. Now its worse! At least before everyone was treated equally!
Parent of a 9 and 9 year old Written byAshley Adkins July 25, 2009

My Review Of Webkinz World

I like this website but I think that the pets that you buy are on the expensive side.I'm a mother of two and my kids love it so much that they are addicted to it.So be aware that when your kids get on that it will be about three hours before they get off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Adult Written byBK0001 April 9, 2008

Sit down with your kid

Warning bells went off for me when my 8 year old daughter came out of her bedroom crying at 9pm: "I forgot to play with my pet and if I don't get on the computer and go to webkinz it will DIE!". I don't mind my 8 year old having a bit of fun, and the games seem fun, but encouraging addiction, and making kids feel anxious and guilty when they don't follow proscribed paths for developing addictive behavior is a big concern. Another mom said she was concerned when taking a family trip to Tahoe, landing in Reno, and her daughter saw the casino lights and slot machines in the airport and said "Hey mom, it looks like Webkinz!" It's true when you think about it that the Webkinz environment that looks like casino and slot machine lights. In short, some good entertainment, but plenty to be wary of. Sit down with your kids to see...
Adult Written byChuckee April 9, 2008

Disturbing

This web site does NOT teach children about pet responsibility. Our pets do not have their own rooms, they do not get ice cream cones to make them happy. My 6 year old does not have a job at a burger joint in order to earn money to buy things for our cat! We do not allow her to play slot machines or cruise eBay looking for things to buy. As far as I can tell, the purpose of this website is to teach children about online gambling and shopping. If your kids are on the website and you don't know what I'm talking about, I suggest you take a closer look at what they are doing. Translate their play-actions to the equivalent real-world-actions and ask yourself if this is appropriate for an impressionable child.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJust A Teenager March 18, 2010

Economics?

I went on Webkinz when I was a bit younger, and found it rather fun. Any teenager will PROBABLY (some like Webkinz) think it is lame, but littler kids love it. What I find interesting about it, though, is the fact that the "game" is centered around economics. You might find the notion laughable, but your goal (besides having fun, obviously) is to get KinzCash and make purchases with it. Playing games is comparable to working at a job. So, I'd say that it can teach little kids more about how money works. In conclusion, you obviously don't want your child (if you are a parent) doing nothing else, but this is a clean, educational website.
Kid, 12 years old March 2, 2010
I love it! It is very safe and fun.
Kid, 11 years old February 17, 2010

Pretty Good But Not Great

I used to have a Webkinz account when I was 6 and now I don't play it anymore. There are educational games you can play. The site teaches you how to take care of a pet too. Downsides:1.You have to purchase a new Webkinz plush to keep your account online 2.The site requires a lot of reading
Parent of a 8 year old Written bygmaver May 6, 2009
Parent of a 3 year old Written bykanickiway March 29, 2009

Fun.....for a week!!!!!

It is fun,but it gets to hard to deal with then itis a pain in the butt. I think it is a scam and if your computer is not new it always freezes
Teen, 13 years old Written bywinter54389 June 23, 2015

used to be better

Webkinz used to be way better, but now is all based on ads and money. There are so many ads on the screen while playing and you can barely play anything without needing to buy a membership. Finally, the website is very laggy and thats quite annoying.
Kid, 12 years old March 22, 2015

Used to be 100x better!

Back in about 2007, the online game was great! I had so much fun. Now, there are SO many ads, and plus, the website wants you to buy the stuffed animal AND get an extra Deluxe Membership to play the game. That is ridiculous to be paying so much for an online game. If your kid is a little younger than me, they would probably enjoy it more, but prepare to have your kids be bugging to get a Deluxe Membership!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byfr3nchy10001 December 25, 2014

Not that good

When I was a little younger I loved Webkinz, and that was a little before they introduced deluxe memberships. Now you can't do anything on Webkinz anymore and its stupid all they want is more money from kids and there parents. Just like every other website out there.
Teen, 17 years old Written byHumphrey Loves Kate April 14, 2014

The Webkinz Economy

Hey everyone, I've been reading several reviews here on Webkinz.com, the site of which I have been a member since 2008, and I've found a lot of negative reviews from adults with a lot of positive reviews from the kids. So I thought I'd add my view on this, since I've begun to play on the site again in a nostalgic way. I practically grew up as a Webkinz member in my latter years from 12 years old to now, at 17, so I've seen most of the changes in its lifetime. The main drawback that I see from users (or rather, parents of users) here is the site's promotion of consumerism. First off, I wish to establish that Webkinz is a product and you, by using it, are dubbed as a consumer. Therefore, from a business standpoint, of course Webkinz will promote consumerism because that is how they stay in business. Pretty black and white if you ask me. Of course, many parents are worried about their children falling victim to extreme consumerism. Before you allow your child to play Webkinz, or as time progresses, just remind your child that Webkinz is just a game as well as a store, and that stores want customers to buy things. If your kid wants something else from Webkinz, make them get their own job at YOUR Employment Office and pay them a small sum only when they do the full job and do it well. I got five bucks a week guys, and only if I did every single chore on my weekly list. (I was so underpaid, haha. But I learned dollar value.) The value of a Webkinz dollar, or KinzCash, may be an economist's nightmare on inflation, but you can teach your kids the real value of a dollar in the real world through hard work and earning what you want. I believe that's called capitalism, which is the opposite of consumerism. Not only will you end up teaching children a beginning part of economics, but you'll also show them that they can't just have everything handed to them, and in the real world, there's hard work before a reward. This leads me to my next topic. From a few reviews I saw, it almost sounds like some actually expect a virtual reality game to teach real life principles and if the game doesn't then it's pointless. People. It's a game. If it were just like reality, it wouldn't be any fun. I saw one person saying you only have to do about two minutes of work and you get a lot of money. Well come on, really, if your kid had to get an 8 hour job on the computer to take care of their pet like in real life, would anyone actually play that?! Nope. It's supposed to be fun! Let the game be the game and real life be real life. In the end, you're responsible for teaching your kids, not some computer game. Any "educational game" is merely a tool to help make learning a little more fun than traditional public education. I'd also like to briefly touch on the arcade which many think is gambling. Not really. There's only two games that provide an abnormal amount of KinzCash by chance and probability, and you can only play those games once a day. Plus, gambling is betting an asset, like cash, in hopes of a larger return with very small odds of a giant return. (I like to think of it as blind investing.) None of the games in the arcade require KinzCash to play. So it's not really gambling. It's just playing a game and getting paid a little to do it. The arcade is also the lowest income source, on average, in Webkinz world. Just remember this is a game guys. It's not real life, nor is it meant to teach you everything about real life. To finish my review, which has now become an essay, I'll quickly discuss on Webkinz "costing a lot of money." Actually, it isn't as horrible as it once was. You used to have to adopt a pet every year at least or they threatened to delete your account. I assume they got a real bad rap on that with kids thinking their Webkinz would die and all. My account is still there and I haven't adopted since 2009. It's 2014. Deluxe Membership is a curse and a blessing. It's good because it allows Webkinz to make money while still letting players who haven't adopted into Webkinz world. It's bad because it makes kids feel like their missing out, and we all know kids of all people HATE being left out. But, one word. Moderation. When you go out and buy a car, you probably don't get the most expensive model there with the most options on it, do you? Not unless that's what you really want and what's best for you. Same with Webkinz. Show your kids that having fun is not all about spending money and buying everything. Just because there's all the Deluxe Membership and eStore points available doesn't mean you have to get it in order to have fun. And again, if your child really does want that, make them work for it to realize how much they really want it. You could also say they need to think about it for a while. Whenever I saw something at a store that I really wanted, my parents would always tell me that I needed to think about it for a little while. If, after a few days, I really did want it, then I was allowed to go back to the store to purchase it, with a little help from mom and dad if it was really expensive (however, whenever I did get help, I almost always was put "on credit" and expected to pay back what I had borrowed.) You can see that this would definitely make me want to save my money, so when I found something I really liked and wanted I would have enough funds to buy it. So when I became a teen and had my own job at $7 an hour, not only did I feel super rich making in an hour what formerly took me a week and a half, but I never bought anything without first spending a week or sometimes a month thinking about it and researching it. Only recently have I bought things more "on the spot" but it's always something essential like vitamins, a snack I need to keep me awake before I drive a while, or a few cosmetic items. Chores and allowance work wonders on making smart finance officers out of kids, and since Webkinz is a favorite of several kids today, it really is a wonderful place to start. So, things to remember: -Webkinz is just a game -Teach your kids capitalism versus consumerism and use Webkinz as a tool -Webkinz is just a game -Teaching hard work for great rewards as well as dollar value is one of the best real world concepts needed and yet so often neglected -Webkinz is just a game -And last but not least, Webkinz is just a game. Hope this helps someone. I wouldn't have spent 20 minutes composing that if I thought it would not help anyone. :D Humphrey Loves Kate P.S. I haven't adopted a pet in 5 years. BUT I ordered the Endangered Signature Red Wolf from Amazon a day ago... for $45. "Garth" will be here tomorrow afternoon. :) But before you call my a hypocrite, get this. I took time to think about it and decide if I really wanted it. Obviously I did. My research found that this Webkinz is being discontinued, so once it's gone it's gone. Additionally, the Signature Timber Wolf is now worth $400 with a sealed code from private collectors, and just under $200 without a code! This is a stuffed animal that people were once complaining about paying $25 for! The entire Webkinz signature line is in the process of being dropped, so I hear, so as more and more are sold, the price is just going to go up because they're getting so rare. In about a year, my signature red wolf will probably be worth at least $100! Look at that! You can also teach your kids about investments with these! Please note that only the signature line of Webkinz skyrockets in price like this. The regular ones and Lil kinz are still worth about $10 even after retired. These are like a gold market!
Parent of a 11 year old Written by1Dlover December 29, 2012
LEARNING

The Fairness Of Webkinz

it does not have gambling. It has somthing called wheel of wow. There children can spin a wheel once a day to earn a small prize. They also have a key for your child to use to talk to other pets (children). I think children 7 and under should play WebkinzJr.
Kid, 12 years old April 7, 2010

WEBKINZ IS AWESOME AND COOL!!!!!!

I love webkinz! There is a quiz corner where you can learn about different cultures and fun facts. You learn how to earn money and spend it wisely! I thought that this website is very appropriate for children!!! I love webkinz!!
Parent of a 3, 5, and 11 year old Written byNewYorkMom March 19, 2010

Perfect for pre-K, tweens, and adults... I'm hooked, and I'm Mom! Dad wants one too!!

As long as you use the chat settings to prevent direct chatting, it is perfectly safe. They can accept friends and only chat with preset messages. Almost all their content is made to be educational. It's fun, exciting, can keep them playing for extended periods without needing help (giving you time to have some peace and quiet!). You DO need to purchase an animal to get a code, but you can buy a Lil' Kinz for under $7 and even on sale.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRainforestGal March 13, 2010

Welcome Webkinz

I love webkinz, its cute and I love collecting the plush toys "although a little expensive" I love making a house, earning money, and getting all these neat things. The things that i do not like is how kids act in the chat rooms-which isn't intirely the websites fault. It is just people constantly date, kiss, and even "attempt" a sexual act. Webkinz doesn't allow this- that goodness. But what they lack is showing warnings that things go too far, they do that, but not often enough. The site is very respectful to its players too, which makes me feel welcome. They even have an advice place! I recomend it. But if you don't want your kids exposed to bad behavior in the chat room, there is always a kinzchat ( which has words picked out )
Kid, 11 years old January 9, 2010

Good for youngsters, but there are some cons

Things are not exposed to any people. No messages can be sent. You can be banned for being mean. It's great for young people. Things I have noticed though is in the Chat, you can pick from certain messages, but in Kinzchat you can chat a bit freer. Though I have noticed people saying things like, "Hey, do you want to have sec?" to work the system. The players then sit on a couch together and walk up to each other like they are kissing. Many reports have been filed this way reporting sexual behavior. Also, you have to buy a pet to play, and you have to buy one every year or Webkinz closes your account. There is also a game in the arcade where you have to hit a little creature with a wooden club, but he seems to like it.... For people 9 or older, the game is quite boring for them by then.