All member reviews for Whyville

Social site with good edu value needs supervision.

Learning

Kid, 7 years old June 12, 2013

not good game for kids under 7

kids under 7 can be scarde by thy strry plus DIZZYWOOD is colsed
Kid, 12 years old January 29, 2012

I think that Whyville is an okay place.I would only recommend it for ages 14 and under
Teen, 17 years old Written byNotAPotato December 15, 2011

For the more mature preteen / teenager.

Very educational site, it has events every day that involve educational value and it varies from --Letter Squash ("In Letter Squash, each round we display a topic, and then a string of letters, which is an in-order smash-up of all the letters in 3 words relating to that topic. The first user to say the three words out loud wins the round."), --Scion Solutions Quiz (Where it teaches about loans, payments, etc.), --Math Expressions, And even more. It has quite a lot of science in it, also. The more you explore this site, the more educational values that you find. And they're even put into fun games! Sometimes, some of these games will give out "clams", which is like the currency/money on Whyville. Though there is a lot of educational value, there are chatrooms, "Y-Mail", and forums in Whyville that are not constantly monitored. There are filters, but some kids make some creative spellings to get around the filters and use inappropriate language. Also, kids can dress up their avatar to look sexual and make sexual gestures in chat. And, along with this, I know many people who have connected on other social networking sites and have shared personal information, despite it being against Whyville's rules. I'd suggest it's for the more mature child, and I would monitor it often if I were a parent.
Adult Written bySamerina December 7, 2011

Beware

Half of the web site focuses on education, mostly science. The other half is devoted to socializing. Whyville users can skip the educational part completely by cheating the answers. "Pick Your Nose" features face parts that one buys with money earned from playing educational games. If your face parts are not of a certain kind or arrangement, you are bullied or called names. There are snobby cliques and cyber preditors who misspell words to get around the language filter. Y-Mail is a feature like email, but with a low caliber language filter. Even if one write in a clean way, the filter demands it be re-written. If you have concerns about what kind of environment you want your child to subject themsevles to, then monitor their whyville sessions. Participate in the educational games with your child and it will bring a positive aspect of sharing learning together!
Teen, 13 years old Written bydsworld February 16, 2011

perfect for ages 12 years of age to the age of 13,14 years old.

I love it. Kids have a safe website that is educational for ages 12 years of age and up.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPorcelain December 23, 2010

Good for 3~6 year olds living in a strict christian family.

Lol? This website is stupid as hell. No supervision? You will get reported by anyone and everyone who sees you say ANYTHING that could be considered "offensive" to anyone. You can't say any curse words including "dam" or you'll be banned. You can't even ask people their facebook or you'll be banned. Hell, don't even risk telling them your name. The graphics of this site are total crap, and the rules are so strict you might as well not even get a chat license. No point. Fail game.
Kid, 10 years old August 22, 2010

hate it

bad
Teen, 13 years old Written byHotaru Chan July 7, 2010

Ugh

I used to be a Whyville addict. Now I've long quit it. Someone will ALWAYS be doing something inappropriate (I've even seen people "getting it on") and when I report it, it will either usually say that its not serious enough for a 911 report, or that they can't find it in the chat script, and that's because they actually LOOKED for it practicly a week later! I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Teen, 13 years old Written by10ISPRO May 19, 2010

Hmm....

I used to go whyville but there were some things that made me feel uncomfortable. One was that I felt that you can give it WAY TOO MUCH personal information. Such as your home town. Also , some people are very rude on there. You can block them by using there safety features but the people that you blocked can still see you in chatrooms. This website is also very addictive, one can become easily addicted to the designs, rares and your clams. For me that was what happened and I found myself wasting hours on pointless things. Things such as designing at Akbar's Factory. This website is great for people who don't care what happens on the net and have LOTS of time on their hands.
Kid, 12 years old March 10, 2010

Kid, 10 years old January 17, 2010

G-R-E-A-T tweens

Kid, 12 years old December 30, 2009

GIVE IT A GO!

This site is really nice! You can write for the newspaper, which is not only fun and exhilarating to see your articles in, is educational! You can also learn to take care of animals, learn about stars at the SkyScout chatroom, interact with others, dance, create an avatar, and talk to the creators of the site. There are older citizens though who make it a bit uncomfortable for younger citizens, which is horrible. But some citizens are very kind and make it nice for everyone. You will realize most judge new citizens, but the Ymail Helpers normally don't. But on all sites, this happens. The website tries very hard to keep it clean and easy to navigate with it's welcome guides, ymail helpers, and help pages. You will notice you cannot chat at first, but that is to get you to learn the place and the rules better. Within I believe 2 days you'll be chatting soon. So in the mean time, earn some clams. Also Whyville has taken away their previous consumer resource, whypasses and changed it to pearls, another currency. It is very cheap and they don't spread it into your face like some websites do.-You can still dress up, change your 'skin' (background of website), chat on the BBS, chat freely/safely, still can trade, still can write for the newspaper, and so much more. The only difference is you can get a pet, buy animated face parts, get on the grass seating in the Greek Theatre (a room), color your chat bubble, pay for items with the currency, and get Elvis or Raven Symone 'skins'. Finally, talking to the creators is really nice because they get to learn about how designing a website works and suggest things. All in all, it's a super website and I say "GIVE IT GO!"
Teen, 14 years old Written bywolves4love November 29, 2009

The site tries to keep it safe, but really, its not that good. i have an account and most of the kids on it are pervs and jerks. they put you down if your new and some make their avatars "do IT" with yours. i dont like it. only go on it if your being paid at least 15 bucks
Teen, 13 years old Written byNerd Philosophies. October 31, 2009
I originally started using whyville in 2007. Of course with my short memory span I forgot about it in a few months. Again in 2008 when one of my friends recommended it to the class, I signed up again because my previous account had expired. I kind of freaked out because I couldn't type my own name before the permission slip was sent in. So pretty much all I did was try to make money. The salary ledger games can be very tricky, which is excellent because it really helped me learn in a fun way. Anywho, in the chat rooms it can get really sexual. I know I've been involved as a joke. But you will be punished for everything that you do. And you will be banned after being taped or fined 10 times. The graphics are great. Many people hate the whole head and shoulders thing, but you can pretty much even have a full torso if you know how to work the pick your nose. Overall it's a great combination between learning and networking. :D
Kid, 12 years old August 14, 2009

I go on this site :]

Whyville isn't much fun since its a VERY old website since it was made for educational values and made in 1999 (i think) This website is very safe on its filters. ( I would know) Its mostly aimed for people 8-15 so you would the point. If you say people say a lot of things in chat then your at the wrong time and wrong place to be. The sun roof is full of people who are like over 15 and yea. Sadly at my school they talk some of those things too, (we call them chavs) To be on the safe side of whyville stay in those places like south beach, north beach, well you get the picture. When you see tall avatars and sometimes crazy hair or mouths that you usually would never wear on your avatar then stay away from those chat rooms.
Parent of a 2, 3, 7, 8, and 12 year old Written bymotherof5children July 7, 2009
my 12 year old loves the site
Teen, 13 years old Written byRandom Sense June 22, 2009

WHAT?

What the heck? Whyville IS monitored. just because you don't get punished six seconds after you said something doesn't mean it's not monitored?! It's better than clubpenguin and neopets. Because you actually DO STUFF and can type more than just letters and punctuations. I'd say it's 7+.
Kid, 12 years old May 19, 2009

It's a really good website for kids.

Okay. I personally think whyville is good for all ages. But you have to know how to read and write. And work a computer I guess. I've been on whyville since age 9 and it's a perfectly safe place for kids. I dont have to hide it from my parents like I would if I had a myspace or something. Both my parents know about it. And to Cat_Girl: Please grow up. In this world people cuss and one day you will too. It's not nice but seriously. Just ignore it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byGoldhunt January 28, 2009

Safety Pre-Cautions Will Make You GO Crazy!

OK, I went onto Whyville to try it out as a guest user. When I got on, I noticed the graphics weren't really all that great. Avatars only show part of a person. The avatars move around in the game by zooming around the screen. All of it is very 2-D. Nothing special at all! Anyway, this girl came into the room I was in, and it appeared she had a cold. She kept saying "Achoo!", and her avatar looked ill. I took this in, and I tried to say that she didn't look so good, but the chat wouldn't let me! Instead, it suggested I tell her that she looked good! At this point, I was beginning to get ticked off. I hardly ever misuse chat, and all I was trying to do was have a conversation with this person, but Whyville's limitations wouldn't have any of it! After the incident with the sick person, I went to another room that dealed with oceanography. The NPC at the counter was named Reggie. I tried to say "Hey Reg!", but again the chat wouldn't let me. At this point I was really starting to get mad. My second attempt at speaking in the game had failed. Thanks to the system we can't say anything unless it's in a dictionary of approved words. Nor can we say anything that might be seen as mean. (although it's not to be mean!). I also tried to say: "How do you do?" "I want to try that!" "What do you like?" "I like to rollerskate." "Have you ever flown in an airplane?" "I have three cats and two dogs." "I talked to her earlier." Guess What? None of these were approved! That's just a small percentage of what you can't say in the game. The truth is, if a word, phrase, or sentence isn't approved, you can't say it!