- Alcohol, Drugs, and Smoking
- Back to School
- Cellphone Parenting
- Character Strengths and Life Skills
- Cyberbullying, Haters, and Trolls
- Early Childhood
- Facebook, Instagram, and Social
- Learning with Technology
- Marketing to Kids
- Mental Health
- News and Media Literacy
- Privacy and Internet Safety
- Screen Time
- Sex, Gender, and Body Image
- Special Needs and Learning Difficulties
- Technology Addiction
- Violence in Media
How do I create a playlist on YouTube?
Playlists on YouTube are similar to the ones on your music service. You create a title for the list and add videos you want to keep in one place. These curated, organized collections can cut down on your kids viewing age-inappropriate videos. Playlists won't prevent your kids from seeing stuff you don't want them to see. But when your kids log into YouTube, they'll see the lists you've created for them. You can make playlists for each of your kids, or you can base them on the subject matter or another category. There are a couple of ways to create playlists on YouTube: the easy way and the more complicated way. Learn both methods below:
For both methods, you must be logged into your Google account (which is your Gmail address). These methods should work on the site and the app.
The easy way to create a playlist in YouTube
- In the video you're watching, select the Add To symbol (it's usually next to the Share button and has a tiny plus sign).
- In the pop-up, you can add the video to an existing playlist or create a new one on the spot by selecting Create New Playlist. Think of a name your kid will be able to recognize or read, such as "Cars" or "Sesame Street."
- Mark it Private; otherwise, anyone on YouTube can search for it and view it.
- The name of the list will now display in the Library section on the far left of your screen. Tell your kids to watch only videos on the playlists.
- You can also add videos to a playlist from the Up Next section, which plays suggested or related videos. But that's risky because not all suggested videos will be age-appropriate; it's better to watch them first, then add them.
The slightly more complicated way to create a playlist in YouTube
- Click on your profile image in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Select Creator Studio.
- On the far left of the screen, click on Video Manager and select Playlists.
- Then, on the top right of the screen, click New Playlist and add the name of a new playlist. Select Private.
- Next time you view videos and select the Add To symbol, the name of the new playlist will appear so that you can add videos to it.
- When your kids log in, they'll see all the lists you've created in the Library section.