All member reviews for Blubber

Honest novel shows brutality of grade school bullying.

Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 October 20, 2012

blubber

Families can talk about what they learn about bullying from reading Blubber. How would you behave if you were Jill? Is it just as wrong to go along with mean behavior as it is to instigate it?

Why do you think this book is an enduring classic, yet often challenged for its candid portrayal of mean grade school behavior?

Does Jill seem to have learned a lesson about bullying by the end of the book?

Kid, 12 years old Written byMovieGirl31301 June 21, 2013

Really great!

I am 12 years old and I first read this book when I was 11. Parents need to know that the kids use words that fifth graders use all the time - b*tch, idiot, fat. The main character, Jill, totally goes along with the bullying, but when the victim and the main bully turn on her, she learns a lesson.

Parent Written byeli44 May 15, 2013

watch out - bad language

I loved this book as a kid and was about to give it to my third grader. I started reading it and was surprised to see that very early on in the book a child calls the teacher a "bi*ch!" This should have been in the summary above!

Parent Written byImThatMom November 15, 2013

Total junk! Not for elementary school age

This book is worthless garbage for any age--a complete waste of time to read, but it is definitely NOT for elementary school! In the "what parents need to know section" it states that there is no profanity. Perhaps whoever wrote that did not actually read the book, as there are no fewer than 10 instances of profanity in this book! Also, the message of this book is that if you are being bullied, you should keep quiet, and when it's over, you can bully other people yourself! At no point in the story do the bullies suffer any negative consequences for their behavior, except when one of them tries to stand up to the bully, and her negative consequence is to be bullied by the previous victim! Definitely not a message children need to learn, especially with the current culture of cyber bullying! This book probably only appeals to kids because it is "shocking" with it's profanity and the viciousness depicted between the bullies and victims.

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byjanin December 16, 2013

Forgot How Mean the Book Was

I read this book around age 11-12 and just finished it on CD with my two kids. Forgot how incredibly cruel it was. I know that is the point, but I kept cringing until the tides turned at the end (a little too late for me).