All member reviews for When You Reach Me

Perfectly voiced, mysterious sci-fi coming-of-age tale.

Kid, 11 years old Written byhorseluv January 26, 2011

heart warming book for the whole family

such an amizing book!!! i is a little confusing in the begining but the way it is writen it just pulls you in. i would recamend for parints to read this book aloud to your kids, as then its easer to understand for some reason. for ages 8 to 100 this is truly a heart warming book for the whole family

Parent of a 11 year old Written byrobinpeggy August 24, 2009

Evocative, stunning writing -- should be a classic

My daughter loved this book so much I read it too. Wonderfully written, suspenseful, mysterious. A terrific heroine who lives in a slightly dangerous urban neighborhood. Her mother particularly came alive for me.

Teen, 13 years old Written byizzy358 January 17, 2011

awesome book!

This might be mt favorite book...ever. The plotline is very devious and the characters are extremely well thought out. I think that the time-travel part might get a little confusing for young kids, and this might make the book less enjoyable. But for kids 10 and up, I totally recommend this book.

Kid, 11 years old Written byNanuk December 21, 2010

Amazing Piece of Literature

It definitely says something about how life is like in that time period and in that location. It makes it clear that racism is bad. This is my favorite book of all time. It has my two favorite things woven together, sci-fi and mystery. At times it is confusing, funny, complicated, and sometimes just downright weird. But the great thing about this book is the last couple of chapters sum everything up, all the stuff makes sense.

Kid, 11 years old Written byreadthosebooks May 15, 2011

Great for ages 10 and up!

It is okay....
It is a bit hard to understand but you get there eventually.
Very Interesting, sci fcish/time travel novel.
Has a bit of violence.
A good book to read over a long period of time. e.g holiday,a long car trip.
recommended for ages 10+ and anyone who likes a very entested detailed story.

Teen, 13 years old Written byAthena Keene May 6, 2011

LOVED IT (been re-reading it for several years now)

HI again! I loveed this book. I read it in 5th grade and re-read it all the time. It had great messeages and heartfelt down to earth charecters that you cant help but fall in love with!

Kid, 10 years old Written byolympian2000 October 29, 2010

good for 9 and up

I LOVED THS BOOK!
-It gets your brain thinking.
-Miranda is a good role model when she helps people and feels sympathy.
-It shows that you should always give people a second chance when making friends.
It`s a great book!
... I heard that it is better then harry potter. SO not true. Just saying. But When You Reach Me is still a great book, don`t get me wrong!

Kid, 11 years old Written bynicolipie9 November 29, 2010

i loved this book it was my 2 favorite book, my first favorite book is the take of despereaux. This book was really interasting and very very good! The chapters are very short, but very long. I loved this book and sometimes it is hard for me to find a book that I lilke I give this out of 5 star a 6 star book loved it! I am11 years old and this book was really good. Some parts are confusing for me at least hehe. I very much recomend this book! I hope you read the book and i hope you enjoy it!

Teen, 14 years old Written byvivianxiao March 29, 2011

Awesome book, it'll make you want to reread it over and over again =)

Awesome book! Definitely read it! I stayed up late and finished it in one night, couldn't even put it down...

Although, I suggest you read A Wrinkle in Time first, it's also a great book, and it'll help you understand certain parts better (also helps you understand more about time travel)

Kid, 10 years old Written bydragonsrule October 17, 2009

GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really like this book. I got creeped out though, for in one chapter the main character starts out by saying you, but she means it as if it is a note written to someone in particular, not YOU or ME (the reader). Also in one of the chapters (The Last Note) we get a step by step description of what happened one day, including a man getting run over by a car. I think this is a good book for kids age 10+, but parents might want to talk to their kids about a couple of things (e.g. the man getting run over).

Kid, 12 years old Written bywillow2207 October 3, 2010

Awesome Book

I think this book is a perfect blend of mystery and fiction. I think Miranda is a good role model. She invites Annemarie for lunch, helps Julia when she needs to use the restroom but is too afraid to ask anyone, and becomes friends with Julia when she realized that Julia really cared for Annemarie. I think the book has a little bit of violence, but not too much. The book also tells you not to judge people for their skin color.

Kid, 10 years old Written byJupiter9 March 12, 2011

GREAT>>>AMAZING>>>AWESOME>>>FANTASTIC>>>WONDERFUL

I LOVE this book! Every person 9+ should read it. WAY better than Harry Potter. You don't even notice it's in the 70's.

Teen, 13 years old Written byoag721 March 27, 2011

Amazing

This book provides discussion that some younger readers may not comprehend about complex time travel contrary to what is known as "time travel". Readers who have read A Wrinkle in Time or seen reruns of the $20,000 Pyramid will find this familiar, funny, and heartwarming. The main character does develop a romantic intrest, but it is in a realistic, feeling-not-looks way. They do share a kiss or two, but there is no description other than "He kissed me. Then I kissed him back." The violence is not descriptive. Overall, this is a book to be read and reread over and over.

Kid, 12 years old Written bybecca1206 November 2, 2009

amazing, but scary

i just finished reading this book and it is amazing in every area. it is a bit frightening at some parts, and it gives a graphic description of a man getting hit by a car. parents would want to talk to their child about some parts, but other than that, it was a really good book!

Kid, 11 years old Written byMusicgirl209 November 20, 2010

Mind blowing book.

I love this book! It's very complicated and deals a lot with time travle, and might just make your brain explode (this happened to me), so 10 and up can figure it out better, probably. It also has a wonderful, suprising ending.

Kid, 10 years old June 1, 2011

A book to recomend

I think that this is a great book for kids from my perspective, I recomend this book for 9-12 year olds.

Kid, 11 years old Written bycoco11 February 24, 2011

Kid, 10 years old Written byBeachgurl April 16, 2011

I am reading this book right now and its really good. I just got finished reading a fluff book. So i really like this book cause it makes you think a lot.

Kid, 10 years old Written bycheetahmorgan October 6, 2010

only for 12 and older

great book

Kid, 9 years old Written bycammy48 March 23, 2010

one of the best boooks I have read.

There is little violence, but must of it is feared. Miranda is afraid of some boy that hang out in a garage and a crazy man. A boy is pushed and punched (no blood) and Sal's nose bleeds, but not graphically. The laughing man is run over, but it literally just said. A few pages late the blood and dismemberment of his body is refrenced as a heap of awful. Somehow CSM missed the usage of he**, but it is used infrequently.