All member reviews for Despicable Me

Clever, funny, and sweet villain-with-a-heart-of-gold tale.

Parent of a 7 year old Written byjencat1969 July 11, 2010

Please do not take adopted children to this movie!!!!

This movie, sadly, depicts adoption and "unwanted" children in in very negative way. The little girls in the movies pray for a forever family are finally "taken " by a creepy man and then given back !!!!!!!!! All the while being abused by their "guardian" in the orphanage while waiting to be "wanted" by a family. I was horrified as I sat next to my precious 7 yr.old adopted child. I wanted to cover his ears and remind him that no matter how poorly Hollywood depicts adoptive children that adoption is forever and parent's don't return children like they are expired groceries. I would have never taken my baby to this movie if I had known what depressing, damaging and incorrect information he would have been exposed to.

Parent of a 3 year old Written bywayfine July 15, 2010

Good movie for the young ones!

Don't dismiss it based on the PG rating. I personally loved this movie. I didn't bring my son since I'd made that mistake with Toy Story 3, which was too dark and scary for him (and it was rated G ! ) But I wish I'd taken him to this one instead. Ok, so there is some shooting (no one gets hurt), and a butt and fart joke, and then there's the hole in the juicebox issue (looks like blood), but overall, the mood is MUCH lighter than Toy Story 3, and it isn't mean, no one actually gets hurt, in fact the main character, an evil villain, ends up a single dad with his heart warmed by 3 orphans. And the minions are funny! So if you feel your child is ready for a big kid movie, I'd suggest this one over Toy Story 3. I'm going to bring my 3 year old back to see it!

Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written byDulcie March 7, 2011

Excellent for all ages!

I loved this movie and so did my kids. That said, there were a few moments that made us uncomfortable. My children are adopted and the early views of the Girls Home and the horrible woman who puts them in a cardboard box for not selling enough cookies or some other infraction was a bit gut wrenching.

That said - the rest of the movie is wonderful. It shows a family coming together, love blooming and friends pulling together toward a common goal all with a lot of laughter to tie it all together. We will definitely be adding this to our DVD collection.

Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written byb080170e July 12, 2010

We are an adoptive family with both bio and adopted children. Luckily, my adopted daughter is not old enough (IMHO) to see the movie yet, but I was very disappointed in the way adoption was handled (everything from the way someone would be able to adopt, to the director being such an ugly person, to the actual ability to "return" the children. It was very uncomfortable for me as an adoptive parent.

On the brighter side, otherwise, the movie is very cute and the overall message is touching. I talked to my child prior to seeing the movie and after the movie about the adoption theme that I was concerned about. But I liked the movie very well overall.

Kid, 12 years old Written byComedian143 November 11, 2010

Really funny movie!

I loved the movie Despicable Me. There's only one big concerns that I have. A few little ones though.
LANGUAGE
Butt, fart, poop & sucker were all used, "butt" especially.
VIOLENCE
Some of Gru's gadgets would be considered dangerous in the real world such as a freeze-ray, shrink-ray and another weapon which blows stuff up.
PRODUCT PLACEMENT
One. The NBC logo. But, it's not really "in your face" and it only shows for a few seconds.
BAD ROLE MODELS
Both Gru & Vector are bad role models for stealing and using weapons.

No highlights unfortunatly.

However, if you enjoy a really funny movie, this is great!

Parent Written byMontses mom August 2, 2010

My 4 years old girl loved it, it is very funny, the minions are great, the girls are soooooo sweet (and dancing ballet like my daughter), and the despicable villain was a big hearted lovely guy at last.

We didnt see it on 3d because I thought (based on reviews) it could be scary for a preschooler.

I got some "difficult" questions from my girl, "mommy, why his mom doesn't like him?", "why are the girls being punished in a box?", "why are the girls in an horphanage?", so be prepared with answers.

My girl found the shark a little scary and the dog at first, but she enjoyed the movie so much she was laughing so hard that was the louder laughter in the theater.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byaea309 July 14, 2010

Very pleasantly surprised!

This movie was not on my summer list. Plus any movie that promotes the way this did with those minions endlessly across the bottom of the screen for the past month on TV, can't be good. BUT - it was! I found myself laughing out loud in many parts, and I haven't done that in a while. My 9.5 year old son and his friend cracked up all over the place! And it was nice not to have all those innuendos and inappropriate actions plague the movie. I detest that stuff. It did drag a little in places but I would say one of the better movies for the summer! We saw it in 3D but I don't think you need it to enjoy it - so save your money and see it in 2D.

Adult Written bysarahkay89 November 17, 2010

Cute family movie for kids and their parents. : )

Thought it was a very sweet movie about how "love" can make even the most evil villain good.

One disturbing part was how abusive the portrayed the orphanage manger as. (She would lock kids in a box if they disobeyed her.)

Adult Written byDr.Pepper July 16, 2010

I don't understand why it was rated PG

I found nothing wrong with this movie aside from a little bit of mild crude humor. A positive thing the end the formally evil Gru becomes a good parent.

Parent of a 5 year old Written byZenMama September 29, 2010

Intelligent and funny, a bit complex for young ones

entertaining for an adult. the 3 sisters in the movie are good role models - they show how a family should love and care for each other. i tried to prepare my 5yo for the orphanage scenes, but i didn't realize there was another part that would upset her. spoiler...
the main character returns the girls to the orphanage, and this made my daughter cry. i think she might have handled this better at age 6 or 7.

Parent of a 6 year old Written byvinniebarbarino July 25, 2010

Adoption material senseless and disturbing. Avoid if you are adoptive parent!

My five year old son, who is not adopted, found the material about the box of shame and the way the girls were returned very disturbing. We know adopted children and he was also very sad as he assumed they might be returned, too.

Adult Written byhipocampus girl July 17, 2010

FUNNY AND ENJOYABLE

It is a great movie and is very funny.it really shows that the creator had a great imagination and did not want to copy same plots of other movies.such a good movie!!!!!

Parent of a 4 year old Written byGoopee January 13, 2011

One of the best 2010 movies

Loved it. Better then Toy Story 3. Great for the whole family. Maybe a bit scary for younger viewers.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byChrisG July 10, 2010

The orphanage/adoption storyline is VERY scary and unrealistic to adoptive kids.

Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written byLovemyboyz October 16, 2010

Not for kids under 10 or that have family issues

I was not happy with the negative message that a guy adopts kids to use them, then tries to return them and is "stuck" with them...etc. It's not something I want my boys to learn. He was mean to the little girls at different points and they were wandering off alone without adult supervision a lot. We saw it in the theaters thinking it would be okay and I think most the adults in the theater were upset over it more than the kids that were too young to understand what exactly was going on (all they seemed to get was "haha funny little yellow guy made silly noises").

Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byMI Mom of 2 August 11, 2010

Adoptive Families Caution - Clever & Cute, but Poor Use of Adoption

I typically review EVERYTHING before we go see a film with our children, but this time I and didn't check. I listened to friends and relatives who said it was great.

If you have adopted children as I do, you may be more sensitive to the way adoption is treated in the film.

The story has a happy ending, but the messages about adopted children is twisted (supposed to be funny). Children waiting to be adopted were to perform the duties required of their overseer or be punished inside a Shame Box. The girls are adopted not out of love but out of selfishness of the villain, although they do end up changing his heart.

The hardest part was watching the girls be RETURNED by the main character at one point in the movie because they were a distraction and no longer of use to him. I am sure there could have been another way to thicken the plot. I wondered what my children thought as they watched it.

Even children who have not been adopted, but even those from a blended family or who may be separated from parent, may be extra-sensitive to this portion of the film.

I did not have any objection to the slapstick humor, the not so villianous-villian, and the ever-happy minions, but it is very sad how the issue of adoption was treated in the film.

My daughter found it funny and enjoyed the film and found the little girls endearing. My son, on the other hand said it was okay, and really did not care to discuss the details, so I am concerned that he had a better understanding of the adoptive situation. Although I found many parts to be cute and the good message of a change of heart positive, I am not sure I would have taken my children at their age due to the treatment of adoption in the film.

Parent of a 12 year old Written bypoeoates July 19, 2010

Loved this movie. I'm pretty picky about messages in movies, snotty kids, double entendres for adult amusement, and disrespect for adults. This movie was wonderful! There was nothing in it I object to. The only other movies in that category would be the Pixar movies. Sweet plot, nice kids, difinitive good and bad characters, good moral lesson and laugh out loud moments. I'd buy this movie for me even if I didn't have kids.

Parent Written byParent of Three March 7, 2011

A great Feel Good Movie even for skeptics !

Very different family movie...watched it after another family told us why it was so endearing to them. Lots of slapstick humor but not to the point of overdoing it. Just the right balance of fun and sentiment in all the most unexpected places. May need to discuss the orphanage / Girls home scenes in context of this is not the norm, and actually a better movie for this topic of adoption is a good thing would be Meet The Robinson's.

Parent of a 10 year old Written byRefLibMom February 13, 2011

Funny but with thoughtful message

I loved it; very creative and very funny in a quirky way. The characters were well-developed, often over-the-top, and in general maintained their natures throughout the movie. It's the "despicable"main character who changes slowly over the course of the movie, and finally overcomes his miserable childhood to return to his "real" self.

I was mostly troubled by the horrible, horrible orphanage, the cruelty of the matron (?), and the kids' uncertainty about ever being adopted. It made ME feel anxious and abandoned and trapped (and I had a very happy childhood and supportive family). For younger children or those in foster care or unhappy family situations, it may be just too much, even though the extended feel-good ending tries to balance it.

Parent Written byLinVA July 23, 2010

Weird story about a man who was ridiculed as a child by his mom, and thus became a villian. He adopts 3 young girls to help in his schemes. He ends up loving them, but the pre-adoption scenes with the girls are painful, and the adoption itself is bad, too. I know the movie isn't supposed to be real life, but this is not something I'd want my kids to see.