Parent reviews for Labyrinth

Labyrinth Poster Image

There's a huge fandom for a reason...

...and that is BECAUSE of the open endedness in the ending, especially with regards to where Sarah and Jareth's relationship stands. Despite the little screen time they had together, the chemistry between them was undeniable. Other than that, I really love the line "You have no power over me." Great comeback for anyone who's ever had to put up with bullying/harassment. I loved the transformation that both Sarah and Hoggle went through. And finally, Jareth is just fantastic and so charismatic. Even if you don't become infatuated with him, he's definitely got your attention. ;) I love the songs and the soundtrack, and though there is some frightening imagery, it was really interesting to see all the hard work behind the scenes. The ballroom scene is purposely made to be a bit creepy but it is still visually beautiful. I saw somewhere that this movie is an acquired taste, and I would wholeheartedly agree. Both my mom and sister agree that it's kind of boring, and even I have to agree that it drags in certain parts. Still, I love the movie, and I love much of what the fandom has created!

3 people found this helpful.

A little creepy

I felt like this was a little to creepy for before bed. I wish we held off on showing our 9 yo this movie.

Stunning classic !

Treat yo'self!

Okay, I admit it: I, the Mom, simply love this movie. However, I love it for a good reason: it is awesome. My seven year old might not give it five stars, but she did like it pretty well. I do think Sarah is a good role model, and there was nothing that upset my child, even with the elements of danger. She did think Jareth was annoying, but liked the other characters. If you have a family movie night every week, you can watch something that the adults will love just this once, right? Treat yo'self!

Great movie!

I love this movie, it's even better to watch with others. If you like Jim Henson's work you'll love this from start to finish. For others, it may seem like it drags on just a little bit. Either way, it's still a fun watch.

Mildly scary fun adventure for kids and tweens

It all depends on how you frame this before viewing with your kids. If you watched this repeatedly as a child in the 80's (like me) this is a great nostalgia filled movie to watch with your own kids. If you did not grow up watching this, then there is no connection and you'll be more likely to think the movie is awful. I can certainly agree that the movie is not Oscar caliber but it has an appeal to kids in a certain age range (perhaps 6 to 12) that are ready to be mildly frightened, understand it's not real and are still child-like. I first watched this as an 11 year old and my sister was 6 and we did not have nightmares, but we were a bit frightened. My 8 year old son who hated watching any sort of mildly scary movie can now watch this, but a year ago, no way. You know your kid.

Such a weird, bad movie

My kids and husband and I still joke about this being the worst movie we've ever seen. I don't understand any of the good ratings that first swayed us to give it a try. It was hard to watch to the end. Super creepy-weird and antiquated. It's kind of like a real nightmare, with a maze and never-ending strange characters, a little like Alice in Wonderland, but much worse. This even has a bad set. Too scary for little kids and too unbelievable and odd for older kids and adults.