All member reviews for Melancholia

Emotionally brutal end-of-the-world drama.

Adult Written byterra100 November 19, 2011

Beautifully shot, excellent acting, art film

This is definitely an art film that you have to have patience for. Kirsten Dunst's acting is superb. She'll be up for an Academy Award with this film, and she already won Best Actress in Cannes. It is a film with many interpretations, not just the obvious plot line. It is not a film for kids. And many adults will not enjoy this type of film. There is unnecessary nudity, but this is a Von Trier film - you'll have nudity; but it's nothing like Antichrist, from what I hear.

Parent Written byOxbow January 5, 2012

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel melancholic

This is one of those movies that really made an impression on me after watching. Yes, it's an art film, and if you enjoy a good art film this should not be missed. Without giving much away, it tells the story of a wealthy family who must deal with the fact that a rogue planet is on a collision course with earth. Don't expect an apocalyptic CGI spectacle. This ain't that kind of film. There is brief nudity, but not in a sexual way, and a suicide that occurs off screen. The specter of imminent doom may be a bit much for young viewers, but they'll probably be bored by the film's leisurely pace and won't stick around to watch the film's climax.

Teen, 13 years old Written bycerealkiller189 March 14, 2012

Whats a teen doing watching this?

Saw this on opening weekend.Beautifully made and perfect end of the world sequences.Not your average Lars film.@terra100 I've seen all Von Trier's films and they're great pieces of art Don't watch Antichrist you will feel sick many satanic themes and if they're any religious people on this site,Antichrist will probably make you throw up.Seriously,don't,it's sick,

Adult Written byprophetess7 May 25, 2012

How to describe this movie?

This movie is not very appropriate for kids and hard for kids to understand let alone adults. You have to have quite an artistic mind to understand this movie. It's difficult to watch and yes it is quite depressing but if you like movies that tackle the harder topics then this movie is for you.

Teen, 15 years old Written byevolinag July 6, 2012

Artful drama deals with mature themes. Some nudity.

"Melancholia" is an art film by controversial director Lars von Trier. While most of his movies are extremely violent (often sexually), this movie is actually quite calm, even though it deals with the possible end of the world. In fact, this movie is depressing and has not a single happy moment. On the other hand, it is not any disturbing or action-ish, leaving enough space for the beautiful visuals and dialogues. This movie is NOT for lovers of mainstream movies. Starting with extreme slow motion scenes, it soon changes into a dramedy about a wedding that ended as a disaster, only to change again, this time into a mature end-of-the-world drama. If you love art or off-beat movies, then you should watch this original, unusual movie. If you like Hollywood blockbusters only, then don't. Overall, it is very original and beautifully filmed, and I recommend it.

As for the age restriction, i don't know what the fuss is about? There is one scene of non-sexual nudity (we see breasts, but no genitalia) and one not too graphic sex scene (it is clear what's going on but we don't see much because it is shown from a distance).
It is okay for mature teens.