All member reviews for Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian

Fun, fast-paced sequel is more upbeat than the original.

Parent of a 14 year old Written byTsion December 27, 2009

Funny, Amusing, and Silly

NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM 2 is a movie-going guilty pleasure. It is so funny and enjoyable, but so stupid and nonsensical that you feel weird for liking it so much. The script is full of holes, and sentimental dialogue cuts action sequences neatly in half (resulting in uneven pacing). There are plenty of groan-worthy "believe-in-yourself" moments, and, let's face it...who believes that Ben Stiller can understand the Capuchin language? Still, there are many, many moments in the film that are so effortlessly appealing that you can't help but beam and laugh. Amy Adams is perfect as Amelia Earhart, with her gutsy persona, 1920-isms, and charismatic grin. There are also several clever moments to remember: a troop of bobblehead Einsteins, General Custer discussing comically flawed battle plans, Honest Abe Lincoln (from the Lincoln Memorial) delivering famous quotes left and right at all characters, and a tiny Octavius being dragged through the grass by a squirrel. This is a good family movie for kids who won't ask too many questons. Adults will be able to see right through the cheesy plot and its holes, but will doubtless be amused and charmed, as I was. Plus, there is little objectionable content. There are two "d**n"s, and a couple of scenes that could be scary for kids, but aren't violent. All the main characters (except the four main villains) are exceptional role models who promote teamwork, friendship, and doing what you believe in.

Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byakbmccain June 4, 2009

Great Family Movie

My 3 year old daughter and 6 year old son laughed and talked about this movie all the way home and are still talking about it!

Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written bymichugalug July 12, 2009

e.g. Perfect for older kids, but not for tweens

Ok, so this is a movie my 9-year-old loved, but...not me. Good historical information, however, I don't approve of the following:

1. Amelia Earhart slapping the main character
2. The monkey slapping scene where the main character slaps the monkies (same as 1st movie)
3. The characters saying "I'm going to kill you", "I'm going to kill your friends", "Kill them!", etc. and also the word "murder".
4. The long overly passionate kiss
5. And words like "stupid", dum-dum to name a couple.
6. The main character stealing the badge after man-handling the security guard.
What is the need to put all this in the movie? It would have been fine without it.

Parent of a 13 and 15 year old Written byvaldiviaa June 3, 2009

One questionable line in an otherwise kid friendly family film

I have to say, though movie was enjoyable, I didn't find as much clever humor for the adults that I've seen in more recent family comedies. I think the violence could be concerning for younger kids who may not yet know the difference between fantasy and reality, but it was "over the top" enough for older children to know it was meant for excitement, rather than replication.

What stuck with me was a specific joke. There is a Scene when Ben Stiller gives Amy Adams an innocent hug while he has the Mini Owen Wilson in his shirt pocket. After the hug he pulls him out and apologizes for squishing him. Owen then makes a joke about rounding bases. I don’t want to say too much in case there are kids reading this, but it was completely out of place and had the kids asking us what he meant. I thought it was pretty inappropriate and out of place for the film. That just really stuck with me.

Other than that however, the movie will entertain the kids and there is plenty to look at during the whole film. For the parents, the jokes will seem forced at times and there certainly isn’t much new humor here, so if your kids aren’t dying to see it, it may be worthy of saving this one for the DVD release.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byLeon780 November 29, 2010

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Its the most funniest movie ive ever seen

Teen, 14 years old Written byht3696 November 12, 2010

some language

its good except for about 2 bad words

Teen, 14 years old Written byPuddingprince101 January 22, 2011

Language is Crap

Kids shouldn't be so close to words like these. They aren't even close to what THIS freshman in high school hears, but still, 7 year old kids shouldn't be listening to this crap. But still a good movie.

Teen, 15 years old Written byJoker15 July 2, 2009

A Fun, Mindless Sequel

This movie is good, but not as good as the first movie. They spend too much time in the art building of the Smithsonian rather then other buildings. The violence is mild, and ofthen played for comic effect. In one scene, Kahmunrah disappears into a cloud of sand and dust.

A mild sexual innuendo from Amelia Earhart. Language is fairly mild.

A big problem with this movie is that the plot gets juimbled by the film's attempts to show lots of the Smithsonian exhibits coming to life, and then there's a big plot hole towards the end, where the characters say that no one will know about the Battle of the Smithsonian when they really make a mess in the museum; at least the first movie didn't skip that. Overall, the plot isn't as good as the first film, but its brainless fun as all the exhibits come to life with humor. 3 out of five. The film is OK for any age, and 6 and up should be OK.

Teen, 13 years old Written byrobinrunner March 24, 2011

Sequels are mostly never as good as the origanal, but this one isn't too bad.

I'm so glad they had Amy Adams be Amelia Airheart (sorry I got the name wrong). This movie isn't as good as the first. Thier one scene that I didn't like where a evil pharo says "Oh God" angrily over and over and over again. The D word is said occassionaly, once by Amelia. You see butts from 3 different flying statues of Cupids. On the up-side, Sesame street and Star wars fans will love seeing Oscar the Grouch and Darth Vader in a little skit.

Teen, 14 years old Written byeagles4ever December 14, 2010

The Musuem Strikes Back!

Not as good as the first Night at the Museum. This movie is great for any age. A great film that gives a lot of brief history about each wax character. Like the Tuskegee Airmen, I particularlt interested in them as I learned in 8th grade.

Teen, 15 years old Written byzackaback August 31, 2010

OK For Persons Ages 6+

OK Movie/Film

Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byMangoFlamingo December 6, 2009

not a great movie, but the kids would like it ok...RENT!

I'm sure kids would like this movie well enough. I found it to be funny in parts, but I got those from the trailer anyways. I'm glad I didn't buy it as I was planning on, it's just not that good. I'm sure my kids would like it well enough however I limit their movie/tv time and I don't think this movie is "quality" enough to take up their time!

Teen, 15 years old Written byRosebud95 October 8, 2010

Very Funny

This sequel is really funny, like with the cameos and had made it funny.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 7, 2010

good kids movie,nothing harsh

Teen, 13 years old Written byJustino4 April 23, 2011

G or PG-13?

People say that this movie should be PG-13 for the Language that is said. The worst cuss said in the movie was the "d" word. I actually think they won't kill you if you use the "d" word in a G movie, so therefore, the language isn't bad. The violence on the other hand is a bit harsh at the end. We see disturbing shots of the monkey getting pointed at with guns, spears and other weapons. We also see dead (knocked out) bodies on the ground during the final battle. It's a little harsh for a PG movie but can be accepted.

Parent of a 9 year old Written bymy favorites movies February 20, 2011

love it because, it gives me a chance to let my child to have a chance to watch something that she can just relax.

Parent of a 2 year old Written byDiamond98 July 3, 2009

Good movie

The movie has a strong, positive message about being true to yourself and doing what you love in order to be happy. Larry and his friends are frequently chased and threatened. Some flirting, a few kisses. Language such as dammit, suck, fanny, stupid, Oh my God andd shut up are used mildly. Walmart is mentioned by name a few times.

Teen, 17 years old Written byXemnasSuperior March 10, 2011