Parent and Kid Reviews on

Our Review

Based on 52 parent reviews

Sort by:

Kids Will Love This Film, with the Exception of the Death of Qui-Gon Jinn

This is one of 2 Star Wars films I let my son watch at the age of 7 (although almost 8). He LOVED it. He's been a Star Wars fiend ever since, which is great for the Lego franchise. He loves building Lego Star Wars sets now, and I can't help buying him more. I would say the main disturbing scene that I had forgotten about, was when Qui-Gon Jinn is defeated by Darth Maul. This probably wouldn't be quite so bad by itself, but it's followed by a scene where his his body is burned in fire by his friends. I explained the concept of cremation to my son, but I didn't find this particular scene quite appropriate for a 7-year old. I suppose eventually though, those kind of conversations are necessary in life, so you may find it a teaching opportunity. Since then, my son has watched the film a few more times because he loved it so much. Due to the silliness of Jar Jar Binks, it actually fits a younger audience quite well, with the exception of the death of Qui-Gon Jinn.

1 person found this helpful.

Awesome movie!

It is a great movie but if you want to watch the whole movie I recommend you are 9 years or more because there are some violent scenes. For example, the battle of Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon V.S Darth Maul, when Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Jar-Jar Binks are in a submarine and when some guards get shot. Though you do not see any blood or people being burned by the gunshot because their hands are covering were they got shot. Also, if you are scared of aliens do not watch this movie!

Worst Star Wars Film

Where to start? This movie begins with Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi trying to negotiate trade. This doesn't work out so they land on Naboo and team up with a disgusting Elmo-gollum-like thing called Jar-Jar-Binks. Instead of pitching this annoying sidekick, they drag him around for this entire movie. (This character adds nothing to the plot and is just stupid, clearly, it was something George Lucas thought was funny, but everybody hates him.) They help the queen of Naboo escape the planet that was attacked by droids for no apparent reason. They land on Tatooine and meet Anakin Skywalker, a happy young slave who wants to be the best pod flyer ever. Qui-Gon Jinn thinks Anakin is the chosen one and wants to get him out of slavery so he can be trained as a Jedi. To do this Anakin is entered in a Pod Racing tournament and then 15 minutes of boring racing making you feel like you are watching someone playing a video game, with an all-to-predicting ending of Anakin being freed from slavery. Woohoo! Anakin leaves his mother, alone, still enslaved forever. This entire movie has terrible writing and acting, including kids saying "...let's go play ball". After the 15 minutes of pod racing I gave up with this movie. This is by far the worst Star Wars movie ever.

Big budget, big ideas and some fun racing

Re-watched this film and was pleasantly surprised at how much is still fun about this film. Is the dialogue a bit painful? Sure. Are these very talented actors not utilized the best way they could to offer complex character development? Yep. Is the pod race a lot of fun to watch? Also YES! And Liam Neeson is having a great time being a Jedi Master. The fight with Darth Maul is interesting to watch even if we see too little of Maul, but in many ways it's not his story. It's Anakin's and all of our attention is definitely on him. Lloyd's cute factor is at an 11 and it is shameful that fans poured their displeasure onto his performance which is strong for a 10 year old!!! The film ultimately is awash with a big budget, big ideas and some fun racing and characters...especially if you're a kid.

Kids will enjoy it, most adults likely won't.

I'd seen the original trilogy with my old man prior to seeing this by the age of six, and of course, saw this one in cinema with my old man as well. I now have two boys of my own, eldest being six (soon to be seven) years old. I can only go from the experience I had as a child, as well as how my own son is, and I'd say a good baseline for EP1 as well as many other films in the franchise, would sit at / around 7-years-old or above. I loved the franchise and playing with the figures and merch as a young one and my son is exactly the same. He's also got a good head on his shoulders and likes to learn about things, so we talk about a variety of things in life, and he knows / understands to separate reality from fiction and that the people in the movie aren't really hurt, damaged or dying. Obviously, every child is different, mine gets on well with this type of media and we sit down and chat / talk about things both during and afterwards so, everything is learning experience if you're willing to make it one. Parts he found confusing or bits speaking in another language I'd explain to him as well. All in all, was a plesant experience. I think the prequels, whilst not as good as the original trilogy get far too bad a rap. They're not great cinema, but I still think they're solid popcorn movies and I loved all six as a kid. Not a fan of the new trilogy, but I'll let my kids make their own minds up on that front rather than pushing my gripes onto them, and potentially robbing them of something they could learn to like better than I.

Unremarkable on its own

If you're not already a star wars fan, you might find this movie a little underwhelming. Overused, very poor quality cgi makes it look almost cartoony at times, and the story is somewhat uninteresting on its own. On the other hand, the action sequences are engaging, and characters are reasonably well thought out. If you're already a star wars fan, you will probably enjoy the plot a lot more than someone who is unfamiliar with the greater story line. DISCRIMINATION: In terms of sexism/ racism it's not amazing, but far better than the original star wars trilogy. There is a definite lack of of racial diversity, especially in the main characters. Most of the main heroic characters are men, although there are also a couple of powerful female characters who are fairly well respected. SEX None. VIOLENCE Lots of flashy scifi battles, but not much actual blood shown; a character gets chopped in half with a lightsaber, but all you can see of it is the two halves falling away in the distance, no gore visible. Still, this may be shocking or disturbing to some people.